• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

I believe I'm up to the final boss, I'm just running around trying to clear up as many trophies as possible first.

I've only just realised that I won't be able to respec as the item you use for that I've used to unlock a trophy (Smash the statue)... doh. Do you get another one on your NG+ run?
I don't think respec is really necessary in this game, since there is no reason to keep your level down (as you would for PvP in Souls).

What weapons to people recommend? I'm still using the Warrior sword that dropped from the statue smashing very early in the game. Everything else seems way too slow and not worth the slight damage upgrade compared to the Warrior.
I started using My Axe and never looked back. Its slow as hell, but super OP with Flawless Luck Runes. Running R2 for days. I'm only midway through the game though.

Dingotech

I don't think respec is really necessary in this game, since there is no reason to keep your level down (as you would for PvP in Souls).

I would like to respec because I've put my upgrade points all over the different stats and I'd like to optimise my build.

Complete patch notes straight from my PS4. They seem to be more detailed than what was posted on the CI Games page.

iVRJVp0af60MX.jpg

iDMjCLJbhQKTm.jpg

inutv0XyKghar.jpg

SRTtoZ

I fucking love this game.

and yes, turn off chromatic aberration with the new patch. Its fucking awful and makes the game look blurry as fuck.

Dingotech

Is it worth giving a potion to the Monk in NG+ if I already gave him one in my first run?

EDIT - Gave him one, worst case I'm down one potion.

UTIII

Banned
Any advice that can be shared? Played 2-3 hours so far and it feels really clunky and slow and keep getting killed by regular enemies.

Using heavy armour and great sword is painfully slow.

Using Medium armour and a staff thing is slow.

R2 is impossible to get off.

The world seems pretty generic and grey and no maps?

Does it get better? Is it worth investing more time in it?

sikkinixx

I have both consoles but the xbone version will be on sale on Boxing Day. Did the new patch help even things out a bit performance wise? The DF look was kinda down on both but my PC won't look much better with the ol' 460gtx

SRTtoZ

Any advice that can be shared? Played 2-3 hours so far and it feels really clunky and slow and keep getting killed by regular enemies.

Using heavy armour and great sword is painfully slow.

Using Medium armour and a staff thing is slow.

R2 is impossible to get off.

The world seems pretty generic and grey and no maps?

Does it get better? Is it worth investing more time in it?

Have you ever played the Souls games? Its a lot like that. Heavy armor and Great sword are VERY heavy, make sure you have the stats to wield it! Or else its a pain to time. Medium armor and a staff, again are slow depending on you equipment load, check it by pressing the touchpad (or whatever button it is on XB1/PC). You want it as low as possible to be quick. R2 is not impossible, right now I'm using a 100% block shield and a greatsword and getting it off timing it right, it also combos 3 times if you press it consecutively doing pretty serious damage. No map, thats the point of a game like this and Dark Souls, you have to figure shit out on your own.

If you don't like that style then I can understand that but thats the type of game it is. Find shit out for yourself and feel very rewarded by the things you end up finding without needing a map or waypoints etc.

I have both consoles but the xbone version will be on sale on Boxing Day. Did the new patch help even things out a bit performance wise? The DF look was kinda down on both but my PC won't look much better with the ol' 460gtx

Runs pretty normal on my PS4 after all the patches with no noticeable tearing. 1080p, I turned off the blurry chromatic bullshit they have in the settings and it looks pretty damn good. Framerate wise I'm looking at about 25-30fps but its not bothering me one bit, especially in combat scenarios. The patch did wonders btw compared to how it ran/looked before. Its a fun fucking game for a DS addict like me.

Cerity

Weow, 2nd attempt at the Guardian and I end up like this.

game has some pretty damn bad hitboxes, I don't get it either given the number of lords. You'd think they'd spend (a lot) more time fine tuning them.

Dingotech

Woot just finished the Platinum for the game!

Damn the last boss is hardcore on NG++ mode.... I had zero potions left and minimal health when I dropped him.
He had a sliver of health left and went to do his healing move, I managed to jump hit him first for the win! So epic!

Video of my last boss fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWq1E_MELs

SPOILERS obviously.

SRTtoZ

Weow, 2nd attempt at the Guardian and I end up like this.

game has some pretty damn bad hitboxes, I don't get it either given the number of lords. You'd think they'd spend (a lot) more time fine tuning them.

Probably my biggest complaint is the hitboxes. Sometimes I perfectly roll or get out of the way of an attack, strike a shielded opponent in the back and it still gets blocked. Hate that shit.

UTIII

Banned
Have you ever played the Souls games? Its a lot like that. Heavy armor and Great sword are VERY heavy, make sure you have the stats to wield it! Or else its a pain to time. Medium armor and a staff, again are slow depending on you equipment load, check it by pressing the touchpad (or whatever button it is on XB1/PC). You want it as low as possible to be quick. R2 is not impossible, right now I'm using a 100% block shield and a greatsword and getting it off timing it right, it also combos 3 times if you press it consecutively doing pretty serious damage. No map, thats the point of a game like this and Dark Souls, you have to figure shit out on your own.

If you don't like that style then I can understand that but thats the type of game it is. Find shit out for yourself and feel very rewarded by the things you end up finding without needing a map or waypoints etc.

Yea I loved both Dark Souls games, up there with my all time favourites.

I put in a good few more hours and am genuinely enjoying it now. It was just a case of learning how the game works / mechanics and getting familiar with the area. Found a ring which increases carrying load, now using heavy armour and axe so can roll around a bit although swing speed is slow I am getting used to it. Plus ive learnt how to do the jumping attack which has made it a lot easier and using the spells, again which are effective.

Thoroughly recommend those who like me felt it was a bit off to start with, just stick with it.

Still would say it is very generic, doesn't seem to have a personality or soul (no pun intended) compared to dark souls but a very good effort first time out.

Woot just finished the Platinum for the game!

Damn the last boss is hardcore on NG++ mode.... I had zero potions left and minimal health when I dropped him.
He had a sliver of health left and went to do his healing move, I managed to jump hit him first for the win! So epic!

Video of my last boss fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWq1E_MELs

SPOILERS obviously.
Is there a good guide out there for hte plat? Just finished my first play-through, and want to know what to do differently in NG+/++.

Nerix

I experienced an annyoing bug (PS4): I can't use the blacksmith at other places than the original one.

I handed over the transportation crystal and the blacksmith disappeared. With triangle I can use the anvil at the place where you spotted him first. At all other anvils there is no prompt to press triangle...

Anyone else having this problem? Found one thread on steam, but with just two answers and no solution.

I followed this one - http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...252322-lords-fallen-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

But basically if you have all the collectable trophies each NG+ boils down to picking another magic class and getting a different ending.
Thanks, this will do the trick!

I thought this had already been announced last week, but good news nonetheless. I'm assuming we only get the 1 DLC then?

Cerity

I experienced an annyoing bug (PS4): I can't use the blacksmith at other places than the original one.

I handed over the transportation crystal and the blacksmith disappeared. With triangle I can use the anvil at the place where you spotted him first. At all other anvils there is no prompt to press triangle...

Anyone else having this problem? Found one thread on steam, but with just two answers and no solution.

just try pressing it anyway, sometimes I've not had the prompts for the doors appear but I still managed to go through.

Nerix

just try pressing it anyway, sometimes I've not had the prompts for the doors appear but I still managed to go through.
I tried that, didn't work :/ But thx, will try it again.

But it really sucks, as it is the case with every anvil. So the game is kind of broken for me now, don't know if I still make a full playthrough under these conditions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone remember me :D?

Just got the game on PC and I'm ready to roll! So hyped! (if anyone cares, here's my impressions of the PS3-version pre-patch! (version 1.0)

- Demon's Souls is my favorite game of last gen and ranks my third best game of all time
- DkS is a overall a good spiritual successor. The early 50% of the game is just as good as Demon's Souls (perfect, in other words) but unfortunately drops massively in game quality after reaching 50%>
- DkS2 is a great and different game that is solid throughout the entire game
- Lords of the Fallen follows what DkS2 does. There is not a single part where I feel "Oh no, not this shit again" - the content is equally as good from beginning to end. The game does however fail with a few things, priorly:

- The amount of bugs in the game is next to unacceptable and had it not been a great game, I would've dropped this a long time ago. The bugs I can think of currently are:

1. The game crashed 3 times during my 30 hours of gameplay
2. I've had my character die for no reason whatsoever, he just dropped dead
3: Twice, I had no chance of getting my souls back. As I died, the souls were completely vanished
4: Throughout the entire game, I had plenty of audio bugs where the sound of getting an epic (or better item), or when killing a boss would be delayed by 10 minutes. Also every dialog from a cutscene would end up quiet. I've had to restart the game in order to 'solve' this issue but it would show up again a few hours later.
5: I had plenty of optional chests disappearing in front of my face just as I was opening them. This only happened in the challenge stages.

- The bosses are quite bad and not recognizable at all. This is a common thing in DkS2 as well. I mean their design is pretty good (everyone looks like Sauron from LotR though) but the strategy in beating them is usually identical.

Overall, the experience was great and I'll probably play this for another 100-200 hours. I especially like the fact that it's good from start to finish and there's never a point where I say "this place sucks and drops the quality of the game".

For those who don't want to read my post, here's my scoring (out of 10) for the game(s):

Demon's Souls 9
Dark Souls PS3: 6, PC: 7
Dark Souls 2 PS3: 4, PC: 8
Lords of the Fallen PS4: 6, PC: We'll see! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the fuck? When did they change it so that the XP Modifier reset when just replenishing your health potions? That's STUPID! It wasn't like this pre-patch, WTF!!!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What the fuck? When did they change it so that the XP Modifier reset when just replenishing your health potions? That's STUPID! It wasn't like this pre-patch, WTF!!!
It kinda makes more sense. There's hardly a risk/reward ratio otherwise. Now you gotta really ask yourself if you want to press on and keep your XP multiplier, or rest up and refill.

Is this game's main criticism is that it is dark souls light?

I'm thinking about picking it up for 20 bucks on the steam sale, and I actually never finished dark souls because of how unforgiving it was to me

SRTtoZ

I think it was a bug pre-patch because it was always SUPPOSED to reset the modifier since thats what the text says. It really doesnt make sense to not reset the modifier or else whats the risk? Might as well replenish every time without holding L3.

Cerity

And just finished up, took 15 hours all up. Don't think I'll be doing multiple playthroughs until bugs are squashed and some serious balancing happens.

It's a nice souls clone, just not enough love given to it before it was pushed out.

Nose Master

LTTP: Oh my god, this game runs like shiiiiit. I'm not even a frame rate guy, but this feels like sub 20 most of the time.

I tried launching it when PSN was down yesterday, and it was ridiculous. Cutscenes would stutter on all of the VO, hard lock ups, etc. After the (I'm assuming) day one 6gb patch, it still doesn't run great. Just froze, I'm hoping the auto-saves are decent.

It's decently fun, though.

Haunted

I think this game is really good... but there are some questionable design decisions (confusing, shitty sidequests, for one).

I hit some bs (bugs, technical issues) and it's frown town until another good section comes along (like realising how the Monastery/Citadel link up, interconnected world design worthy of a Souls game) and I'm really impressed by the game again.

Though overall, I must say that I'm really enjoying my time with it. It's a gritty, slow melee fantasy game in a long line of similar titles, with a large helping of Souls on top - exactly what I wanted out of it.

DasDamen

LTTP: Oh my god, this game runs like shiiiiit. I'm not even a frame rate guy, but this feels like sub 20 most of the time.

I tried launching it when PSN was down yesterday, and it was ridiculous. Cutscenes would stutter on all of the VO, hard lock ups, etc. After the (I'm assuming) day one 6gb patch, it still doesn't run great. Just froze, I'm hoping the auto-saves are decent.

It's decently fun, though.

Interestingly, the game just freezes at the start-up screen for me now (maybe it requires an online connection now?). Between this issue, the poor performance, lock-ups, and the patch that's actually bigger than the game itself, this game is total trash.

Haunted

I fucking love how most of the boss cutscenes seamlessly transition and start with the player getting control back right as THAT HUGE GUY IS CHARGING TOWARDS ME OH SHIT DODGE DODGE DODGE.

It's such a smart little thing, makes those boss fights intense and engaging from the get go. :D

Yoshichan

I fucking love how most of the boss cutscenes seamlessly transition and start with you getting control back RIGHT AS THEY'RE CHARGING YOU.

That's such a smart little thing, makes those boss fights intense and engaging from the get go.
Yes! Even better that it doesn't take damage, so it's not cheap at all :)

abracadaver

Bought this in the steam sale.

Is there a beginners guide somewhere that teaches how to fight? I have a hard time playing this. I never played the souls games.

Beating the first boss involved me running away from him for most of the time until he did the attack where he hit his sword onto the ground. I then ran up to him and hit him and dealt like 3% damage. The fight must have lasted like 20 minutes. I died a few times before that.

The second boss I only beat because he was (after 5 tries) suddenly frozen in his place so that I could beat him down to 15% of his energy before he did anything.

Now I'm stuck at some guy that protects a door or something. (after you meet the 2 humans that don't like you)

I basically have no idea how I am supposed to deal with enemies without loosing most of my health. please give some tips. also whats best to upgrade? I'm playing a warrior

Also this game is gorgeous looking. Really amazing

So yeah Lords Of The Pop-In kinda sucks in the stability side huh.

Shit froze on me when I was rolling over vases and stuff, worst part is that now I'm stuck in this place surrounded by spiders and even at my level they are tough as Fuck

Cerity

In probably the last 1/3 of the game for me, none of the prompts for interactables weren't showing up for, I'd still be able to interact with them though, so there was that. But for stuff like the writing on the walls and statues, I wouldn't get anything.

Also in the last probably 1/5th of the game (from when
Adyr spoke to you to me killing Antanas
), I could not interact with any of the checkpoints save the one in the challenge room. It was (not) fun having to start from there when I died/wanted to level up/save.

Still plenty of bugs after the patch but it was stable enough for me to finish the game.

Bought this in the steam sale.

Is there a beginners guide somewhere that teaches how to fight? I have a hard time playing this. I never played the souls games.

Beating the first boss involved me running away from him for most of the time until he did the attack where he hit his sword onto the ground. I then ran up to him and hit him and dealt like 3% damage. The fight must have lasted like 20 minutes. I died a few times before that.

The second boss I only beat because he was (after 5 tries) suddenly frozen in his place so that I could beat him down to 15% of his energy before he did anything.

Now I'm stuck at some guy that protects a door or something. (after you meet the 2 humans that don't like you)

I basically have no idea how I am supposed to deal with enemies without loosing most of my health. please give some tips. also whats best to upgrade? I'm playing a warrior

Also this game is gorgeous looking. Really amazing

Be patient with fights, combat is deliberate so don't just run in swinging. Watch the enemy's attacks, find out when it is safe to attack, when it isnt. If you aren't used to these types of games it will take a while to get a hang of so your first playthrough may take awhile. But it's part of the experience.

_DrMario_

I'm like two hours in and I'm about to give up on this game.

The combat is so fucking tedious. I've barely started the game and I'm already fucking tired of these fucking tower shield guys.

edit: Ok so I was going the wrong way. It's better right now lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The combat is so fucking tedious. I've barely started the game and I'm already fucking tired of these fucking tower shield guys.
They're a bit annoying, but to take them out quicker, try the gauntlet's projectile attack, and/or parrying them.

Ferr986

Get a tower shield like for yourself and ram up agains them ( just run to them with your shield up). You'll stagger them

lordxar

In honor of PSN being borked I picked this up! Not too bad so far. Amazingly enough it patched itself too. Guess some PSN parts are still running.

Nose Master

So... what the fuck is going on with this game? I've been on the spider boss for a handful of tries now, and this last match. My mana wasn't regenning, but my health was. The entire fight. At first I thought it was a "you suck" mechanic, but it seemed to come and go, and my magic never refilled.

This boss is so awful. I was trying to play smart for the first couple of tries, but then I realized it's way more efficient to just hold forward and swing blindly. You clip through the bosses legs, and avoid all of the swings that way. Once the tail spawns, you just have to be less greedy with the swings.

The rolls have no invul, right? That + the shit hitboxes gives you pretty much zero reason to actually roll.

Nose Master

Annnnd the game just locked up again after I was farting around with 2x multiplier / 30k exp for a couple hours. It doesn't auto save unless you die or hold L3 on a check point, does it?

The game won't launch again so I can check. Thank god I only rented this.

Foaloal

So... what the fuck is going on with this game? I've been on the spider boss for a handful of tries now, and this last match. My mana wasn't regenning, but my health was. The entire fight. At first I thought it was a "you suck" mechanic, but it seemed to come and go, and my magic never refilled.

This boss is so awful. I was trying to play smart for the first couple of tries, but then I realized it's way more efficient to just hold forward and swing blindly. You clip through the bosses legs, and avoid all of the swings that way. Once the tail spawns, you just have to be less greedy with the swings.

The rolls have no invul, right? That + the shit hitboxes gives you pretty much zero reason to actually roll.

1.) I believe the spider boss has a move that drains your mana, hence why it would appear it wasn't regenerating. I imagine this would make the fight pretty tough for a caster build, though you would still be able to use a faith based weapon.

2.) You can break the armor on any of her legs by hitting them maybe a dozen times (not sure if it's based on the damage you do or number of hits) and then they take like 3x damage.

3.) I believe rolls do have invulnerability, but it just doesn't last for the entirety of the roll. As a rogue type with the lowest equip weight (when your equip weight displays in green) I find rolls invaluable.

The game does have tons of issues though, from poor design choices to bugs/glitches to instability/lack of optimization to cheesy dialogue/gestures and poor lip synching at times, and much more.

Personally though, I like games that aren't perfect as long as the gameplay is solid enough to enjoy. I get kind of a "Two Worlds" vibe from this game, which was another "mediocre" game that I really enjoyed in a "b-videogame" kind of way.

Though stuff like the poor optimization and gamebreaking bugs/instability are not in any way enjoyable, and I will be very disappointed if they do not continue patching the game to fix what they are able to.

The main menu music is seriously awesome. Have to listen for a few minutes every time I start the game.

I bought this from the PSN sale (just before it went kaput) and liking it so far. It has frozen once + I got the non replenishing magic bug but othervise it's been smooth. Managed to get my magic up a bit by unequiping and equiping the amulet for a few times but not back to 100%.

Could someone please tell me how to save the game without losing the multiplier at a checkpoint?

I'm playing it on the PS4 and me clicking L3 doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Do I have to launch the menu or can I just do it as I click L3 while approaching the red shard thing?

Could someone please tell me how to save the game without losing the multiplier at a checkpoint?

I'm playing it on the PS4 and me clicking L3 doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Do I have to launch the menu or can I just do it as I click L3 while approaching the red shard thing?
Keep L3 pressed down when you press triangle.

Top Bottom