• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Nose Master

Any basic trouble shooting like clearing the cache or something stupid on PS4? It froze last night (not during a save) and I closed the application. When I try launching it, it just hangs out on the dude's face and the button prompt never comes up. I can still hold the PS button and close it that way / access everything else, but ohmygod

Any basic trouble shooting like clearing the cache or something stupid on PS4? It froze last night (not during a save) and I closed the application. When I try launching it, it just hangs out on the dude's face and the button prompt never comes up. I can still hold the PS button and close it that way / access everything else, but ohmygod

Exact same thing happens to me. Just leave it as it is and after a little while you will see the developer/publisher logo pop up or the press "X" button icon.

SRTtoZ

Can't believe it. I'm about 10+ hours in without a single crash or freeze. I've had small minor bugs like a floating enemy after killing it but nothing major (PS4).

emrober5

Got the limited edition copy of this for about $30 on ebay. Came in today and I am really enjoying it so far.

That patch must have done wonders because I have had zero issues. Game runs great. ps4 version here.

SRTtoZ

Completed it. Good game overall, still not even close to any of the Souls games. In the sequel they will need to add a MP component, vary the environment and iron out all of the bugs. Got it for half price so I'm quite satisfied but kind of wish it was longer...

Ellite25

I'm losing my mind with this game right now. Last night I was fighting the Worshipper, and it took me maybe 10 tries to beat him. Afterwards I ran to one of those save points, pressed triangle and closed the game. I go to play today, and its not saved that I beat the boss. So I have to try again, and after 5-6 tries I still can't beat him. And if he was just tough that'd be one thing, but he is tough and the game is buggy. I will get multiple hits, but they won't all register. I once hit him 4 times without him losing any health. When he summons those other two annoying monsters, I'll kill one with my sword and then use projectile magic to destroy the other. Sometimes I will shoot the projectile, then get hit with one of his attacks and my projectile will no longer hit the target I was aiming at even though it was shot before I was even hit. One time he just keep summoning over and over and I had 4 of those other enemies running around, stunning me every time I got hit. Turned it off, it's such bullshit.

Haunted

Can't believe it. I'm about 10+ hours in without a single crash or freeze. I've had small minor bugs like a floating enemy after killing it but nothing major (PS4).
I've had my first crash on NG+ after 19 hours of playtime (happened during the second boss fight).

I did have the annoying "dmg numbers/text overlay not showing" bug pop up halfway through my game that was apparently introduced in 1.3 and it's still not fixed.

I was considering putting the game in my top 10 goty list because I really enjoyed the Souls combat and interconnected world design, but with these technical issues seemingly everyone playing is experiencing in one way or another... I can't in good conscience do so. The ambition in this one isn't big enough to excuse the technical issues and shortcomings.

SRTtoZ

I'm going to go ahead and spoiler tag this post so as not to ruin anything for anyone. I've just hit the first part of the game that I didn't enjoy, at all.

Fighting The Champion. It's not that it was a hard fight, the problem is the design of the fight. It seems to me the only tactic is to fire off the magic orb from your gauntlet, so it will attack him independently, then keep dodging and blocking and fire off another shot whenever you get the chance. It was a boring-ass loooonnng fight (I dread to think how much longer it will take for people who don't have the magic orb gauntlet upgrade). On top of the utter dullness of the fight, another problem is that he doesn't always do his 'tell' (stopping and quickly jumping a step to the side, then lowering his head) before charging at you. So you'll be looking for it, waiting to dodge and use that couple of seconds (when he misses you and hits the wall) to fire off a shot, cast a spell or swig a potiion...and then he'll suddenly charge without warning and knock you on your ass. I don't know, for me that's bad design right there. He has a 'tell' for a dangerous attack, he should do the damn 'tell' every time he does that attack. Not doing it just cheaply knocks you off, extending an already long, boring non-fight.

Alright, rant over. The most annoying thing is I've been thoroughly enjoying my time with the game. Fighting through the Rhogar Realm and taking down The Inquisitor was epic. That was a fun boss.

Anyone out there feel my pain?

As a STR/Faith build with 1h/shield I had no issues with him. His spikes were easy to dodge, his roll was too, I actually stayed close to him and after he did his 3 swing attack I would go in for a few, rinse and repeat.

Friendly tips for The Worshipper, 'cause you sound frustrated,

Put on your best defense armour. When he summons his buddies, try and bait him into killing them with his big dumb swings of his scythe. It's fun as hell and quite easy to time. When he summons his magic attack, get in one of the four little 'shrine' things around the edges of the graveyard and shield up. The magic won't hit you. Attack him when he slams his scythe down into the ground and gets it stuck for a few seconds. Don't be greedy though, one-two then out! He'll be your bitch in no time.

Bingo! Strafe around the boss while and let him kill the adds, when he does his giant huge attack, run to a shrine. Even if there are adds when he does his giant attack, he will kill them all. Also, if you want actual time to hit him, you can bait him into killing the shrines where he just falls down for a while and it lets you swing away on him. Very easy fight once you know the mechanics.

lordxar

I had a tough time on him until I watched a YouTube some dude had about using two handed weapons and how you can beat the living shit out of bosses with them. Graveyard guy got smashed after that :) Now I'm up to some gladiator thing that's kicking my ass. :(

Haunted

I'm going to go ahead and spoiler tag this post so as not to ruin anything for anyone. I've just hit the first part of the game that I didn't enjoy, at all.

Fighting The Champion. It's not that it was a hard fight, the problem is the design of the fight. It seems to me the only tactic is to fire off the magic orb from your gauntlet, so it will attack him independently, then keep dodging and blocking and fire off another shot whenever you get the chance. It was a boring-ass loooonnng fight (I dread to think how much longer it will take for people who don't have the magic orb gauntlet upgrade). On top of the utter dullness of the fight, another problem is that he doesn't always do his 'tell' (stopping and quickly jumping a step to the side, then lowering his head) before charging at you. So you'll be looking for it, waiting to dodge and use that couple of seconds (when he misses you and hits the wall) to fire off a shot, cast a spell or swig a potiion...and then he'll suddenly charge without warning and knock you on your ass. I don't know, for me that's bad design right there. He has a 'tell' for a dangerous attack, he should do the damn 'tell' every time he does that attack. Not doing it just cheaply knocks you off, extending an already long, boring non-fight.

Alright, rant over. The most annoying thing is I've been thoroughly enjoying my time with the game. Fighting through the Rhogar Realm and taking down The Inquisitor was epic. That was a fun boss.

Anyone out there feel my pain?
I feel kinda bad for telling you like this after you've clearly had a hard time... but you can stop his charge easily with a simple shield bash or hunker down (Kite shield/Tower shield heavy attack). ^_^;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-om3VRoqtQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhW2uDs2NN8

I think most of the bosses are actually fairly well-designed (I think the biggest problem is the lack of variety and easily exploited patterns) because there are always several viable options depending on your build. Heavy guys use their shields and bashes, magic guys spam their projectiles and spells and smaller guys stay close and roll around the big lunks (though I think the last option is the hardest in this particular instance)

edit: and of course, there's also always the option of cheesing pretty much any fight in the game via Prayer -> get behind him to attack

Haunted

A tip for anyone who plays this game. Running R2 attack. Always a nice quick way to get in an attack.
Yes! Probably my favourite move in the entire game with heavier weapons.

It's the same as the standing forward+RT/R2 jump attack, but I like how smooth it flows out of regular movement. Doubles as a great gap closer/initiation as heavy weapon jumping attacks usually cover a huge distance as well.

So yeah already lvl 50 and still ain't my final form. Game crashed on me when I was having an epic fight close quarters trying to get back my xp against those dudes with huge fire blade and shedding armors .

I shit you not, breaking stuff too quick tanks your FPS and crashes your game(I feel less crazy now because it happened 3 times now). And DAT talking animations man felt like playing PS2 games lol

Before moving into the sequel I hope they fix the critical bugs, I can live with the pop in, frame rate issues and loading stutters but not crashes

Haunted

Yes, it's a real shame about the continued technical issues. I'm all for giving smaller developers more leeway with the technical execution, but particularly a game like Lords of the Fallen that comes with precise mechanics, (relatively) high difficulty, methodical melee combat and a generally slow progression just demands a high degree of polish.

It's really quite unacceptable to die in this type of game because the enemy warped behind you when your fps tanked and there's obviously not many things more frustrating than losing progress because of crashes.

Titles like this that have a fairly small marketing budget always end up relying on word of mouth to spread and I honestly think the myriad of issues have hurt them in that regard. So many people I know absolutely loved the concept of a Souls-like, were impressed by both graphics and gameplay, yet ended up shying away due to hearing about all the technical problems large and small.

Well for what it's worth, I still like you, Lords of the Fallen.

impact

Banned
That's it, I'm done with this game. Yoshichan has horrible fucking taste
KuGsj.gif

One of the worst PC ports of all time. 10-70fps? WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GAME DEVELOPERS?

and also the terrible hitboxes make me miss Dark Souls 2's terrible hitboxes. Did the devs for this game used to make cellphone games and this is their first effort at a major title? It's so fucking bad I don't get it.

Well for what it's worth, I still like you, Lords of the Fallen.

completely agree with you specially this part.

KuGsj.gif

One of the worst PC ports of all time. 10-70fps? WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GAME DEVELOPERS?

and also the terrible hitboxes make me miss Dark Souls 2's terrible hitboxes. Did the devs for this game used to make cellphone games and this is their first effort at a major title? It's so fucking bad I don't get it.

probably the Ipad version was the true version!

nvm

phoenixyz

Does this game have many missables? Do I need to have a wiki/GameFAQs open at all times to not fuck something up for a whole playthrough?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
KuGsj.gif

Hold up, bro.

I never said anything about the PC version. I was forced to play on the lowest settings (because I prefer fps over graphics) and even then did I encounter plenty of framedrops in the outside environments. The core game itself is actually very good - it just lacks the optimization. If this ran as smooth as Dark Souls 2 (PC) then it would be SO much better.

Ellite25

Friendly tips for The Worshipper, 'cause you sound frustrated,

Put on your best defense armour. When he summons his buddies, try and bait him into killing them with his big dumb swings of his scythe. It's fun as hell and quite easy to time. When he summons his magic attack, get in one of the four little 'shrine' things around the edges of the graveyard and shield up. The magic won't hit you. Attack him when he slams his scythe down into the ground and gets it stuck for a few seconds. Don't be greedy though, one-two then out! He'll be your bitch in no time.
This is what I've been doing, minus the heaviest armor. Maybe I'll try that, thanks. Just getting frustrated really by my hits not registering. I don't mind the difficulty and replaying until you figure out how to beat a boss, but when you're hitting them and nothing is coming off the health bar that's not fair.

impact

Banned
Hold up, bro.

I never said anything about the PC version. I was forced to play on the lowest settings (because I prefer fps over graphics) and even then did I encounter plenty of framedrops in the outside environments. The core game itself is actually very good - it just lacks the optimization. If this ran as smooth as Dark Souls 2 (PC) then it would be SO much better.

sorry I saw you saying it was good in some thread and got it on sale because of that. I learned my lesson though

I agree it would be fun if it had a playable framerate, unfortunately that basically never happens. Can't play a game at 720p with a GTX 760 and 4670k, fuck yea PC gaming and throwing money down the toilet during Steam sales :|

This is what I did with Worshipper:

I just stood in one of the chapels fighting the adds until he used his big swing that would shatter the chapel. Dodge out and then go combo on his stunned arse. I don't know if this a bit cheesy since he can't hit you with anything besides the big swing while you are inside a chapel, but it did the job. Worshipper was the first boss that really gave me a lot of trouble at first and I was happy to beat him even if it was not a "fair" fight. Also my wife was happy to see the end of my cursing at that boss fight.

I'm playing on the PS4 so I'm not experiencing many technical issues, but the combat in this game doesn't feel as nice as in the Souls games; it feels sluggish and the way enemies chain attacks into you feels unfair at times.

I'm still enjoying myself, just not as much as I had hoped.

Georome

This game wasn't on my radar, but I got it as a Steam gift. After a couple hours, I was at that critical stage where I was getting disillusioned with the game, thinking of shelving it and probably never coming back to it, but I had a play session where it kind of "clicked," and then I found that familiar pull drawing me back to it. You know, that feeling where you're away from the game, but still thinking about the game's mechanics and planning out your strategy for your next play session. I'm having that right now.

You know, that feeling where you're away from the game, but still thinking about the game's mechanics and planning out your strategy for your next play session. I'm having that right now.

Same here. I *think* I'm getting close to the ending and I am already thinking that I can't wait to start new game+.

phoenixyz

Wow, this game is ridiculous. I just killed the infiltrator on my first try with a nice XP combo. I then looked around, talked to the dude with the skull quest and my game crashed. And, of course, my progress was not saved. Fuck you Deck13. They rip of Dark Souls without any shame at all, but don't autosave your progress. I even have the fucking achievement for killing the boss.

does an xbox one or DS4 controller work for this game? i have DS4WINDOWS and official xbox drivers but the game does not recognize them

lordxar

Ok the random lockups on PS4 are getting annoying. Hasn't been in a critical spot, just a few times while wandering around but can see it heading that way really fast.

phoenixyz

I don't get this either. I would understand if the save system was built around the XP multiplier and you had to choose, either save and bank your experience or keep your multiplier going and risk losing it all. If that was the case, no auto-save would make sense. But it doesn't work that way. You don't have to risk anything because you can just save holding L3 (safe-guarding your XP up to that point) and keep the multiplier going.
By the way, after the aforementioned happened to me I tried to kill him again but of course I failed because I was pissed as hell and didn't concentrate. I Alt-F4-ragequit immediately. But guess what was saved: My death.

Sioen

I really don't like this game. It doesn't feel right and everything's so heavy+the low framerate on ps4 is bad. Not playing it again.

Watching the end credits roll. New game+ here I come!

I have to say I really liked the game. I hope the sequel will be even better.

PS4 version was quite stabile, some bugs but nothing game breaking.

I quess I have to look for Dark Souls II when it comes to PS4.

I am having a real hard time with the final boss... any pro tips?

I hardly consider myself a pro, but here's what I did.

I kept medium range while circling him. When he did his three hit combo, I went in for a hit and then backed. When he spawned the adds, I ran to the very opposite end of the yard and hunkered down behind a 100% fire block shield. He would most often scorch the adds. Then repeat.

So how's the performance on Xbox One since all the patches? I've been itchin to give this game a try but my video card isn't up to it (560 ti plannin to upgrade later in the year when I can get something beefy with 6gb+ of vram. Gotta have that Shadows of Mordor Ultra pack don't ya know). My only "next gen" console is the xbox one for right now so I understand it will probably be 900p not 1080p but I've heard horror stories about just how bad the framerate is. Was wondering if its been fixed.

fcobento

Neo Member
I've been playing it on XO and one thing I can tell you is that you will curse the controller designer... those bumpers were not meant for Souls like games.

Yeah luckily I'm one of those weird people who don't mind the XboxOne's bumpers heh. More concerned about the performance of the game.

I just got to the blacksmith and I don't think I want to play this any more. Do the bad hitboxes ever get better? If I put points into a certain stat will I get more i-frames? Because at the moment every single roll feels like a gamble with terrible odds. After nearly 6 hours I feel like I should have adjusted to the game's speed by now but it still just feels unfair to me; Like the player's animations have been slowed down to 50% while all the enemies are still fast. Because of this it feels like enemies with shields are not able to be dealt with reliably due to a complete lack of vulnerable moments in their patterns. If you break their guard they provide no opportunity for a follow up attack because all of my guy's animations are too slow.

On the positive side it runs pretty well on my computer with everything turned up (except for shadows on medium, they look good enough) at 1440p. No anti-aliasing though, which is strange.

fcobento

Neo Member
I just got to the blacksmith and I don't think I want to play this any more. Do the bad hitboxes ever get better? If I put points into a certain stat will I get more i-frames? Because at the moment every single roll feels like a gamble with terrible odds. After nearly 6 hours I feel like I should have adjusted to the game's speed by now but it still just feels unfair to me; Like the player's animations have been slowed down to 50% while all the enemies are still fast. Because of this it feels like enemies with shields are not able to be dealt with reliably due to a complete lack of vulnerable moments in their patterns. If you break their guard they provide no opportunity for a follow up attack because all of my guy's animations are too slow.

On the positive side it runs pretty well on my computer with everything turned up (except for shadows on medium, they look good enough) at 1440p. No anti-aliasing though, which is strange.

Switch to light armor... it will increase your speed.
Those huge bastards with swords are really a pain. You need to keep your distance... and when it starts to jog at you, give a RT attack and it will hit him. That's the only way I could kill them.

Finished the game yesterday. I found it quite satisfying! Really liked it but I dont think I'll ever play it again... trime to put it in the trade bin.
My only complain is the mao. It should be more diverse and obviously bigger.

Got this over the weekend and gave it a few hours, combat just feels a little 'off', I'm not sure what it is just yet though. Maybe it's my character speed or my timing if off for hitting openings.

Second boss :
Commander I think he's name was, he was really annoying and took forever to kill, am I supposed to be able to destroy his shield or something? Or just continually circle around and hit him in the back? (half of which didn't register at all)

Please help,

I'm over encumbered and have no idea how to solve this. Been looking at the menus for so long and my brain has turned to mush.

SOS

Please help,

I'm over encumbered and have no idea how to solve this. Been looking at the menus for so long and my brain has turned to mush.

SOS

Remove so the armor you are wearing, and put on lighter, or use a weapon and shield that weights less? If you increase your strenght and endurance you can equip heavier stuff. You only "carry" the stuff you have equipped, everything else you just carry around in your invisble magic backpack that weights nothing (or something).

Or did I understand your problem?

Remove so the armor you are wearing, and put on lighter, or use a weapon and shield that weights less? If you increase your strenght and endurance you can equip heavier stuff. You only "carry" the stuff you have equipped, everything else you just carry around in your invisble magic backpack that weights nothing (or something).

Or did I understand your problem?

Spot on.

Figured it out eventually.

Does that mean you forever carry everything you ever pick up throughout the game?!

Top Bottom