• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox360) blowout in Famitsu (Demo Impressions Pg 6 / Post 278)

GreekWolf

MightyHedgehog said:
Sounds good. Very lighthearted adventure-y in the Zelda style. Almost Western(cowboys 'n shit)-like.
Yeah I got the same vibe. He blends so many different styles together it almost makes you dizzy. It's like part Zelda, part Disney and one section that sounds like a parade marching through town.

Very pretty and epic -- yet it's got a Dragon Quest feel, almost. It works, and I dig it.

I really anticipate his work on these Mistwalker titles

duckroll

Uncle said:
I think that the only way that will happen, is that they haven't translated the demo yet. Tehy could delay the Live demo because of the Famitsu deal, but I kinda doubt that. I think they are packing the demo with Famitsu just to get more people to notice the game.

Don't be too hopeful. I think Bring it home will be great next week..... but....... I just have a bad feeling about Mistwalker's demos....

duckroll said:
Don't be too hopeful. I think Bring it home will be great next week..... but....... I just have a bad feeling about Mistwalker's demos....

but-but-buttttt so far the kinda-impressions are good!

GOOOOOOOODDD!!!1

sangreal said:
Maybe you should re-read his post and the one he is replying to

slowly this time

hmmmm. *re-reads*

My comprehension sucks, or the 3:00 AM effect is kicking in and I should go to sleep this very second. Oh well, thanks for the heads up

Frenck

Banned
It's game over for Xbox in Japan and this game isn't going to change anything. Even DQ9 wouldn't be able to change anything, quite the contrary, I think the Xbox would drag the games sales down to Dead or Alive levels.

With that out of the way...

I can't wait to get my hands on this game:)

sangreal

FateBreaker said:
hmmmm. *re-reads*

My comprehension sucks, or the 3:00 AM effect is kicking in and I should go to sleep this very second. Oh well, thanks for the heads up

he is saying he has a feeling that the demos wont be available on the marketplace during tgs

Uncle

duckroll said:

I'm not. I just meant to say that I really doubt they would put it only on JP Live. I wouldn't really be surprised if the demo doesn't show up on Live at all next week.

Uncle

Frenck said:
It's game over for Xbox in Japan and this game isn't going to change anything.

Just this game? No, of course not. Lots these kinds of games? Maybe. I mean there has to be a point where the japanese videogamers change their attitude from "Oh, I can't play this cos it's on the X360" to "Hey, X360 has a nice amount of games that I'd like to play. Maybe I should think about buying it." I'm just wondering how much money MS is willing to invest to get to that point.

I don't think any game can change the situation from Japan, except perhaps if Microsoft got a true, forever exclusivity for all the major franchises the japanese follow, like WE or FF or DQ.
But as long as these games like Lost Odyssey manage to be really succesful in the us and europe, it ll be alright, right?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Theres degrees of failure above where they currently are that would still be a major improvement, hopefully games like this will help 360 reach those levels of failure at least. Cause right now it seems like people out there dont even consider purchasing it if the right game comes along, they just dont care. And untill they get people at least receptive to the idea of buying a 360 they wont get any of the deals with developers which have helped them compete in Europe and NA...what they are having to do now, directly fund any japanese software they want, doesnt seem sustainable or sensible.

Frenck

Banned
m0dus said:
Um. Considering an impromptu NATIONAL HOLIDAY is called when a DQ game comes out, I'd say your instincts are sorely misleading you on that one.

The good thing about that comment of mine is that nobody can prove me wrong because it's never going to happen.

But you are right anyways

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
one game alone definitely can't "save" the 360 in japan, but a few good or great games coupled together, especially RPG's, may have a shot at moving systems at a respectable pace, finally. It'll be interesting to see if any of these upcoming 360 games are "killer apps" and how the Japanese market reacts.

open_mouth_ said:
one game alone definitely can't "save" the 360 in japan, but a few good or great games coupled together, especially RPG's, may have a shot at moving systems at a respectable pace, finally. It'll be interesting to see if any of these upcoming 360 games are "killer apps" and how the Japanese market reacts.

Microsoft is preparing the following games

Cry-on
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Trusty Bell

all it seems by mid 2007

duckroll

MrMeltdown said:

Cry-on
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Trusty Bell

all it seems by mid 2007

Erm, Microsoft is only involved in 3 of those games. Not only is Cry On not related to MS in anyway, but it's also not even in actual development yet. Late 2007 or early 2008 at best. :p

duckroll said:
Erm, Microsoft is only involved in 3 of those games. Not only is Cry On not related to MS in anyway, but it's also not even in actual development yet. Late 2007 or early 2008 at best. :p
:( dont hurt me

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FateBreaker said:
but-but-buttttt so far the kinda-impressions are good!

GOOOOOOOODDD!!!1
is duckroll, I remember him saying P3 was going to be crap and that he was going to skip it because the artwork looked atrocious when it was first shown, he is always pessimistic and he has been like that with anything relating Mistwalker.

duckroll no offense but I have to get that out of my chest! <3

0 HP

MrMeltdown said:
Important points bolded

Heroes of Mana is a strategy-RPG based in the "Mana" world, for Nintendo DS. The "Mana" world is, yes, one of Square-Enix's franchises, which has a cult of devoted fans who believe "Mana" games are better than all other games -- people whose memories cannot EVER be betrayed, because their memories have no enemies. All Mana games look positively brilliant to a Mana fan. They're never disappointed. This is the kind of audience post-Final Fantasy VII Square has excelled in creating. My impression of the screenshots is that the enemies' life bars take up most of the damned screen. Also, the hero's name is Roger.

4 Page article by Tim Rogers
THATS RIGHT. SD ****ing rules.

Captain N

I don't have time to read through all of the pages right now, but how's the gameplay? Are the battles like that found in Final Fantasy VII?

Mojovonio said:
damn this GAF hype, now I really want this game :(
All aboard everyone, all aboard.
HypeTrain.jpg

Sallokin

Tieno said:
I found this Lost Odyssey trailer on my pc from a few months back. It's from xboxyde but it's not there anymore. I haven't found this on any other site so I uploaded it to youtube. It seems like a CGI fight sequence. It's pretty cool! Watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dxIv4Z3KFY

Wow! Never seen that one before. The way he's breaking other people's weapons and shit is awesome. I love that music too. I remember when it was on the mistwalker site a while back. Not sure if it's still there because the site is blocked at work.

jarrod

Banned
MrMeltdown said:

Cry-on
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Trusty Bell

all it seems by mid 2007
Seems to me MGS Japan's actually targeting each notable new RPG after the established major RPGs of Japan...

Blue Dragon = Dragon Quest substitute
Lost Odyssey = Final Fantasy substitute
Infinite Undiscovery = Zelda no Densetsu substitute
Trusty Bell = Tales of substitute
Cry-On = Kingdom Hearts substitute

jarrod said:
Seems to me MGS Japan's actually targeting each notable new RPG after the established major RPGs of Japan...

hmmm ... cool!

Heh, a tri-Ace Zelda? Well I never ..

And yeah, I have a feeling Chopin's Dream is going to be renamed to a Tales of.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jarrod said:

It'd be awesome if these new games could meet those games in terms of quality. Though Infinite Undiscovery looks more like Star Ocean meets Radiata Stories to me, nothing like Zelda. Fable is more like Zelda. Don't know about the KH substitute either.

Drek

Lost Odyssey is my personal reason to buy an X360. Sakaguchi back where he belongs, designing games, makes me as happy as any event in the recent history of gaming.

PS360 for the gamer win. Thats right, $1K on hardware alone! Good thing I'm looking at a new job working for a bank. If I don't make manager by fall '07 I'll have to resort to knocking it off! :lol

pswii60

jarrod said:

errrrrrrr Isn't Cry-On a DS game?!

EDIT: just noticed it is indeed a 360 game. Didn't know about this - is it also a Mistwalker/MGS game? Anyone have any info?

RaijinFY

pswii60 said:
errrrrrrr Isn't Cry-On a DS game?!

EDIT: just noticed it is indeed a 360 game. Didn't know about this - is it also a Mistwalker/MGS game? Anyone have any info?

You're confusing with ASH. Cry On has been always an xbox360 game.
EDIT: Isnt Cavia in charge of the game?

Sallokin

RaijinFY said:
You're confusing ASH. Cry On has been always an xbox360 game.

Is "Cry On" the one that is supposed to be similar to Shadow of the Colossus? If so are there any screens of that yet?

jarrod said:

MGS Japan?

RaijinFY

Sallokin said:
Is "Cry On" the one that is supposed to be similar to Shadow of the Colossus? If so are there any screens of that yet?

Well the artwork had a bit of the feel of Shadow of the Colossus but beyond that... We have yet to see what's the deal about this game and yes, just checked out, Cavia is supposed to be in charge of this game.

thekad

Banned
lollerskates said:
Cry On? details, details.

I believe you are a little girl that controls a golem. As time passes by, the golem grows bigger and stronger. That's about all I know about it.

ahh i really wish there was a screen or some concept art somewhere. *looks above * that was fast

The theme of Cry On is tears, both of sadness and joy. Players will take control of main character Sally in this action adventure, working through scenarios that promise an emotional response.

Cry On takes place in a world where people live amongst giant sand creatures. Sally is in the company of one of them, a creature named Bogle, and fights alongside it. Although normally tiny, Bogle can transform into a giant beast to fight. He'll do so when Sally is in danger. The game promises to give players the perspective not just of Sally, but of Bogle as well. The game will play out with portions from both characters' perspectives.

Cry On features former Final Fantasy mastermind Hironobu Sakaguchi as producer and scenario writer, with composing partner Nobuo Uematsu's music.

icecream

Public Health Threat
There were some more conceptual artwork in one of the famitsu in the past if I recall.

Developed as a joint between AQ Interactive (Cavia) and Mistwalker.

And while I'm thinking about real-time RPG, what about IU = Seiken Densetsu?

jarrod said:

Isn't Cry-On a puzle game, in which you use the golem to solve puzzles?

It doesnt sound like a puzzle game it sounds like.. something that isnt a puzzle game. But might have puzzles in it? I am not sure. Gamespot lists it as an RPG but it doesnt sound like that either.

<nu>faust

from ign

"Gameplay will take different forms depending on which character you're controlling. Sakaguchi wants to give the game more of a puzzle/RPG focus when playing as Sally, as he doesn't want her to wield a sword. The action will come when players use Bogle. In terms of division of play time between the two characters, we can expect 15 minutes of Sally time, to finish off with a minute of time with the Bogle.

Even when playing as the Bogle, Cry On isn't a pure action game. The game is focused on the scenarios which are being crafted by Sakaguchi himself. Sakaguchi mentions a couple of possible situations: saving people as part of the storyline and using Bogle to raise a ship out of the water.

Visually, the game will use cell shading for its visuals, although Sakaguchi is quick to point out that it's not the kind of cell shading we're used to seeing. At the game's unveiling this past week, publisher AQ Interactive showed a trailer for the title featuring what many believed to be hand-drawn animation resembling a Miyazaki movie. The animation was actually computer generated, and Sakaguchi is promising a final game that looks quite similar to it."

Top Bottom