• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love |OT| We've all been there (Apatow, Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust) Netflix Feb 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The high-water mark for awkward on this show, and maybe for me, any show ever. I was physically cringing. But it's worth pushing past.

I just watched episode 5 and was expecting Hello Ladies/Office UK cringe and I didn't find it hard to watch at all. I guess the subject matter was awkward but there were no real awkward silences or embarrassing moments from either of them. Maybe I just don't emphasize with them as much?

But I have to say, I'm on board with this show now. The first few episodes were sorta trying and I still can't stand Gus' storyline with the whole Witchita TV show but I think it found a nice rhythm. What really get me are the little conversations between the characters like the
Major Gus
thing.

Wife and I finished the season last night.

This show is fucking good. It's probably my favorite thing Apatow has produced since Freaks and Geeks. I only hope it continues to be this strong next season.

At the same time, I don't think I've ever spent more time yelling at a screen for a character to STOP DOING THAT than I have during this show. These two are a fucking mess, and it's beautiful.

Also, Bertie is perhaps the most adorable human being who has ever existed, and I love that she's not written like a total pushover or an idiot.

orioto

Good Art™
Just finished the show, it w really good yet lacking rhythm some times.. It was a little hard to be enthusiastic at the beginning. But the shows really gets good when the award moments arrive. It's good for all the little details, really subtle and true about things that don't work between people.

It's funny cause to me the show should be called love, (or the lack of it). The way i see it, Him and her were always in that cute and charming love story path and wanted to believe it, but it's soooo not clicking at all between them lol.

Dalek

It was a per-fect storm!

The 5th episode...

don't think I've paused so much in an episode from all the cringe during the date. One of those things where you just couldn't look but had to finish the episode lol

Good lord you aren't kidding. Shut the fuck up, Gus!

Watched through all of Love. I didn't really like it all that much. Yknow all those shows about aimless 20 year Olds trying to find themselves? Well this now its about 30 year Olds. In Los Angeles and hollywood. It has a lot of those Apatow-isms, like lots of sex and drugs and awkward humour. The main characters are really unlikable. Like punch you in the face unlikable, which i mean okay, your characters dont have to be liked by the audience(or well me) but theres got to be something there to latch onto outside of hate. There's an episode featuring Andy Dick that made me almost want to quit the show altogether. I dont even know what the point of this show is, its about assholes with vices who have relationship problems and do dumb shit. There's like no greater message here. I'm actually not sure why I even finished it.

Just finished the first season and loved it. Season flew by really fast and it kept my eyes locked on to the screen, unlike so many other shows that can't hold my attention and I start looking at my phone more than the TV during episodes. So excited to hear there is already a 2nd season planned.

otapnam

Not even close. Or comparable really. But I enjoyed Love. While I *love* you're the worst.

I find some of the stuff that happens on youre the worst way too outta left field. Maybe it's the friend character the girl. The 2 main characters are good tho.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just finished watching the series. Not a fan of Apatow's work, but watched it because I'm a big fan of Gillian Jacobs in Community. The series was real hard to watch at times because of the awkward and cringeworthy social situations which I could definitely relate to in real life. Still, I feel fortunate for watching and am glad it got renewed.

Dalek

I like Gus's friends who he does the theme song parties with. They seem like a cool bunch of people to hang out with.

And good grief-Briga Heelen. Where has she been all my life?

Okay I start to like the characters then they do shit that I'm like wowww. Like in episode 9 when
Gus invites Mickey over and she's like sounds stupid and then proceeds to crash and whines and moans like a brat the whole time...seriously?

Good grief. Just watched this. What a mess she is.

Quick

Banned
I'm back to watching it. I'm midway through episode 9.

Gus and Heidi. I can't fucking even. Not even as an appearance thing, it just seems so weird. But that might just be the whole premise of that relationship - it's jarring and seemingly unrealistic. I don't know.

Quick

Banned
Damn was hoping this bump was a renewal (unless it was renewed and I missed it).

Sorry :(

I finished episode 9.

I find myself siding with Gus on his argument with Mickey, but Gus' "fake nice" thing really becomes glaring from past episode as it's pointed out again.

Mickey is a jerk, and Bertie is great.

I watched the first episode and thought it was a bit lame with the bedroom sequence freak out. Is it worth carrying on despite not clicking with the first episode?

Akahige

Been very slowly making my way through this thing, I didn't dig the first three episodes all that much, it has it's moments but the episodes are simply way too long, an episode shouldn't feel bloated at 35 minutes. Episode 4 though was hilarious from start to finish, the show works better when the two leads are within closer proximity to each other.

Quick

Banned
Finished Season 1.

Gus could've just sat in the writers' room and stayed quiet, and it all would've gone just fine. Seems like he really took the advice of "she hates it when everyone is quiet" too literally.

But I also find it weird that they wouldn't disclose to him how they'd use his script. I'm not sure how the industry works though, maybe that really is how it works in real life. In any case, it made for a start of Gus' bad day.

That being said, it was actually pretty cathartic to watch Gus blow up. Not sure if it's Paul Rust's general acting mannerisms, or if the mannerisms are what he gave to Gus specifically, but Gus always seems to hold back or has pent up emotions.

Mickey seems to really have issues, hammered home with that SLAA session scene.

By my interpretation, Gus seems to have set himself up to meet with Mickey at the gas station/convenience store by posting the picture of his fridge and commenting on buying snacks on Instagram, knowing she'll see it and maybe take a hint. She fell for it. Am I off base here?

If that interpretation is accurate to what it's suppose to be, it's pretty scummy of Gus to bait her, then when she tells him about her problems, he pounces on her with that kiss.

This show was super disappointing. I really, really dislike Paul Rust. Good god when I think how much better this show could have been if he hadn't cast himself.

Parts of this (namely Mickey) reminded me so much of my ex that it is fucking crazy. It made the cringe even worse. I'd like to think I was not as big an asshole as Gus, but I'm probably wrong.

Alpha_eX

Crawling over the table to look at the laptop just ruined it for me, Gus is a cringe machine but no one would do this. Felt the show broke for me at that point.

Not sure if I liked it or not, but I happily watched till the end.

Britta is a B

News Bot

Banned
Save for food guy, Bertie and Gus' friends, nobody in the show is likable, especially the Witchita staff, though we see them exclusively from Gus' perspective and he's an atypical "Nice Guy" douchebag. They're all pretty realistic and I've dealt with similar (or rather, the same) people in real life. That's what makes this show relatable. Not so much as entertaining as a TV show should be, though. Watching two realistically fucked up individuals do fucked up things to each other and other people is hard to watch.

Paul Rust also just ain't fun to watch. He has only two decent moments in the whole show, both in the first episode. Gillian Jacobs on the other hand is a treasure.

Crawling over the table to look at the laptop just ruined it for me, Gus is a cringe machine but no one would do this. Felt the show broke for me at that point.

Not sure if I liked it or not, but I happily watched till the end.

Britta is a B

The laptop thing felt like a culmination of the whole season. You're constantly seeing that Gus just does not know when to shut the fuck up and stop doing what he's doing.

Both characters are their own worst enemies.

illadelph

just finished watching this last night, you could say I
LOVED
it. Can't wait for season 2.

Bertie is the best. Also, good to see the Asian dude from MAD TV haha

KodaRuss

I am about 5 episodes in and finding it extremely funny. Really enjoying it so far after the first episode kinda turned me off a bit. I felt like too much of a focus on drugs in general.

Highly recommend the show if anyone is on the fence or didnt enjoy the first episode.

TheBear

Hey guys just finished this and enjoyed it immensely. Took me back to apatows hey day of freaks and geeks and undeclared, and was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for something similar?

This show has its moments but too much of it feels contrived and the characters aren't compelling or likable.

Gus is this collection of Nice Guy cliches when he's really just an asshole but the show wants to believe that he's actually a nice guy.

What the fuck was up with that scene where she wants to
use her vibrator and they spoon
and the episode ends on his sad, mopey ass face? There are too many moments where I feel like the show wants you to sympathize with him (his weird nice-guying around with
Bertie at their dinner
) but it doesn't succeed because he's actually kind of a douche.

And then there's the issue of Gus being a super babe magnet and all of Mickey's exes or fuck buddies ALL being schlubby dudes.

Mickey--I don't know. Sometimes I think her character is poorly written but then I think that she's just written to be an inconsistent jerk. Other times, she's really likable because of how honest her character can be, like the magic show scene/episode.

The show pretty much sets the tone with Gus when his ex calls him "fake nice", asks what he wants to happen to her, and he basically wishes death on her (which was fucking hilarious). Just moments before he wanted to be friends.

This. He never changes and there's nothing fun about watching his character because of it. Not every character needs to go through a change, but when he's this unlikable and a walking Nice Guy cliche, it gets old.

Claudia O'Doherty deserves better.

Holy shit I fucking loved this show. Watched the entire thing in one day

It hit really close to home in a lot of areas, like, uncomfortably so. Man I'm actually a bit of a mess at the moment. Can't wait for season 2 though

Watched through all of Love. I didn't really like it all that much. Yknow all those shows about aimless 20 year Olds trying to find themselves? Well this now its about 30 year Olds. In Los Angeles and hollywood. It has a lot of those Apatow-isms, like lots of sex and drugs and awkward humour. The main characters are really unlikable. Like punch you in the face unlikable, which i mean okay, your characters dont have to be liked by the audience(or well me) but theres got to be something there to latch onto outside of hate. There's an episode featuring Andy Dick that made me almost want to quit the show altogether. I dont even know what the point of this show is, its about assholes with vices who have relationship problems and do dumb shit. There's like no greater message here. I'm actually not sure why I even finished it.
Interesting to hear what your opinion might be of Easy by Joe Swanberg, which is also a similar series on Netflix about relationship foibles with each episode for self-contained couples (although it overlaps later on).

Rembrandt

Banned
I think there's a love season 2 OT (if not, I might be down to make it), but I can't find it on mobile.

I'm rewatching season 1 in anticipation for season 2 and man, it might actually be the best show netflix has produced.

I might continuously update this for each episode until S2.

EP1: The writing really reminds of the best qualities of Judd Apatow's best films (including things he's related with) meaning the ones he's directed. There's a huge difference between his directed films and the ones he's produced and written for; mainly in terms of balancing comedic moments/scenes with remarkably relatable characters that reflect a lot of our (potential) worse aspects while still coming off as somewhat relatable. It makes me want a Judd Apatow directed movie with a script written by him and two lead actors/actresses he sees as muses.

The first season is like a year old so imma spoil shit and say both of the main characters are kinda shitty people in their own unique way and their flaws are exemplified heavy in this episode, more than the others, because this whole episode is a huge, blatant establishing episode that hopes to foreshadow future scenes and issues.

Holy shit, never end up on some Gus shit at his age. Highest highs and worst low.

If you've ever watched an apatow related production and said, "wow, this would have been amazing if the second half matched the first," then you'll love this show.

Long story short: this episode alone places it above most things apatow has had his name attached to.

You can participate in a threesome and still find the two sisters thing weird, right?

EP2: Bertie ❤❤❤

jadedm17

I've been switching off episodes of Love and Master of None until I finished both seasons. Kind of made me want to eat a cookie and reflect on my life today.

Bojack Horseman did that to me.
Some of these shows drain me.
Girl Meets World is my current one, go figure. Ive spent a few nights wondering why I tried to watch more than two episodes at a time; The Walking Dead, 24, Game of Thrones havent hit me like Bojack, Girl Meets World or LOVE.
Finished it too fast... Now what do I watch? ;(
Top of my head? Girl Meets World, Crazy Ex Girlfriend or Bojack Horseman. If you have Hulu then Community.

bremon

Crushed this show and loved it. They are both huge pieces of crap. Gus being Gus at his age is extremely cringey; aspects of his behaviour are reminiscent of some close friends of mine and myself, but as teens. Definitely not as 30 year olds. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

Also... jet!

Crushed this show and loved it. They are both huge pieces of crap. Gus being Gus at his age is extremely cringey; aspects of his behaviour are reminiscent of some close friends of mine and myself, but as teens. Definitely not as 30 year olds. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

Also... jet!

Whoa, I wouldn't call Gus a piece of crap. He's immature, and easily manipulated by people like that child star he's tutoring, but he's a nice guy.

daffy

Banned
Whoa, I wouldn't call Gus a piece of crap. He's immature, and easily manipulated by people like that child star he's tutoring, but he's a nice guy.
This. This is how people really are. I'm so tired of self righteous gaf posters that have no flaws because irl we all know that ain't the case

bremon

Yeah? You mean self-righteous like Gus? He's also self-absorbed and manipulative. In fact, he's the living embodiment of the "nice guy" stereotype; but he's not really nice. He seems like a much better friend than boyfriend. He also clearly thinks he's superior to his coworkers when he really shouldn't.

Critiquing Gus doesn't mean I don't see flaws in myself, and the same is likely true of most Gaf posters. Let's not start trying to normalize throwing laptops.

This. This is how people really are. I'm so tired of self righteous gaf posters that have no flaws because irl we all know that ain't the case

"Really are" isn't an excuse for shitty behavior just like my autism isn't an excuse for being unintentionally rude.

Yeah? You mean self-righteous like Gus? He's also self-absorbed and manipulative. In fact, he's the living embodiment of the "nice guy" stereotype; but he's not really nice. He seems like a much better friend than boyfriend. He also clearly thinks he's superior to his coworkers when he really shouldn't.

Critiquing Gus doesn't mean I don't see flaws in myself, and the same is likely true of most Gaf posters. Let's not start trying to normalize throwing laptops.

This.

Matt

Are we watching the same show? Did you see that writing room scene? Or any of the other shitty ways he behaved?

Are we watching the same show? Did you see that writing room scene? Or any of the other shitty ways he behaved?

Yeah, he was a jerk in that scene. But, to be fair, almost everyone in that show's cast and crew treated him badly. He was just an annoyance to them.

ZeroX03

Banned
Gus is extremely manipulative. He's not some goofy guy who doesn't know better. He's aware of what he's doing to people. The final bit at the end of the first season was just that. Don't let Paul Rust's demeanor fool you.

Yeah, he was a jerk in that scene. But, to be fair, almost everyone in that show's cast and crew treated him badly. He was just an annoyance to them.

They treated him fine for his position and how he acted. He didn't know his place and assumed he deserved more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom