• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Madame Web' trailer released by Sony Pictures

the worst part is Sidney Sweeney wears a fucking sweater the whole movie.
Mad Arthur GIF by MOODMAN

sono

It had moments where I thought this looks interesting. Then the trailer went on and on, then the music sucked and I thought nah. That trailer is poor

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The problem with this movie isn't "woke" anything...

The FIRST problem is who Sony hired to make it... People who had NO affinity towards the source material

The SECOND problem is that they told a story that had NOTHING to do with the comics! They INTENTIONALLY didn't read any comic books about the characters. It's like they just did a cursory Wikipedia read of Madame Web and that's it!

The THIRD problem with the movie, and probably the most egregious, is that they wrote it with NO sense of joy, wonder or excitement! Dakota Johnson is wooden... Other than Celeste O'Connor (the black spider woman) and Adam Scott, EVERYONE delivered their lines like their vocal chords were made of wood .. or were being held captive at gunpoint to make this movie.

This is why I'm not worried about the new DCU... It's being spearheaded by a known comic fan (James Gunn), the man is infusing a lot of comic lore into the franchise and the man knows how to write characters AND dialogue! Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1-3 is proof of this! No matter the changes he made, he still made a damn good trilogy of films!

Sony should just stop or actually get someone who's a comic head and have them shepherd their Spider-Man adjacent films with a unified vision.

In other industries with far less money at stake, and with hundreds of people chomping at the bit to replace someone, you get sacked when you have a Morbius-scale screw-up.

Yet Hollywood continues hiring these writers? They must be better at writing their own real-life Cover-Your-Ass narratives than they are at writing screenplays.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm no comic book pro, but I never heard of this character before. I doubt many others have heard of this character too. I dont think this character has done much. If you skim the wiki page, it looks long but it's a lot of filler like every appearance gets a giant paragraph.

Will likely bomb based on reviews and unknown character. Based on Wiki page budget, surprisingly only $80M budget. So maybe it will make some profit.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Its just a joke dude. Relax.

They are not dumb to push this ideia, right?

I doubt it. Given that WOMEN reviewers have absolutely SKEWERED this movie. Even feminists like Grace Randolph and my favorite geek reviewer Fantastic Frankey.

Vyse

Gold Member
Crazy to me that Spider-Man is such a goldmine for SONY. Why let such crap get made. Damaging the IP and franchise by having no quality control.

That being said, going to see it tomorrow night. Will report back.

I'm no comic book pro, but I never heard of this character before. I doubt many others have heard of this character too. I dont think this character has done much. If you skim the wiki page, it looks long but it's a lot of filler like every appearance gets a giant paragraph.

Will likely bomb based on reviews and unknown character. Based on Wiki page budget, surprisingly only $80M budget. So maybe it will make some profit.
I've known about her since I was a kid but I could not tell you what her powers were. She was originally an old woman with a blindfold sitting on a throne in front of a big spider symbol. She looked nothing like the characters in this movie.

Soodanim

I'd like to echo the sentiment that it's baffling to see people who have no interest in source material releasing dogshit adaptations in this day and age after so many examples of that going poorly and examples of faithful material doing well. It makes you wonder what the ulterior motive or big thing we're missing is, because the goal can't be to make good movies.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'd like to echo the sentiment that it's baffling to see people who have no interest in source material releasing dogshit adaptations in this day and age after so many examples of that going poorly and examples of faithful material doing well. It makes you wonder what the ulterior motive or big thing we're missing is, because the goal can't be to make good movies.

"The viewing public is dumb... we can release absolute TRIPE and they'll lap it up because it's NEW! We'll make so much money!"

- Sony Pictures

Vyse

Gold Member
Just got back from watching. It was fine. Kept my interest and joked a lot with my friend during the movie.

Story was pretty dumb, but I was prepared going in. Not sure this is at the level of terrible it’s getting. Much better than the Marvels.

Wonder what the editing process took out.

Top Bottom