• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's 13th studio album Rebel Heart drops March 10 2015 | hype thread + news

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Rebel Heart is out today!!!!!

Run and grab your copy quick before they're sold out.

H2z3VsM.gif

Can't believe you gave Ghosttown only two flames, Alex. It's my favorite song on the album and it's the only one that's made it to my Madonna playlist so far.

Maybe it was all too much, too much for a man to take...

You know what Paco, Ghosttown has moved up to 3 flames in my ranking, it's a "grower" imo :D
My other faves in addition to the OP so far include Addicted, Best Night, Beautiful Scars, and Rebel Heart with a few others needing some more time for me to lock down how I really feel.

The album is awful. She should retire or do a residency at Las Vegas doing her hits.

Gurl.... Rebel Heart is great. I was reading some reviews last night and most critics agree that it's better than Hard Candy and MDNA. One review even said it was her best album since Music (I disagree with that, Confessions >>>>>>). Don't have time to link to all the reviews right now but check Google.

Madge ain't gonna go down Knee's path and be a Las Vegas flop anytime soon, she's still got a lot of life left in her career.

This shit gonna flop like MDNA did. Madonna, just hang it up honey. You had a good career but it's time to hang up the mike and call it quits.

Except the album is actually really good and the Kanye produced tracks are amazing.

Also, anyone with an Iggy avatar has no right to TRY it with anyone.

tmarques

This shit gonna flop like MDNA did. Madonna, just hang it up honey. You had a good career but it's time to hang up the mike and call it quits.

Collect your wig @ the door

ijtM46VJuTQcq.gif

Oh my.

Seriously, though, Madonna can't win. She's set to easily outsell the latest efforts by Mariah, J-Lo, Britney, Christina and probably a bunch of others and people will STILL call her album a flop. Just watch.

Frodo

I love Body Shop. It is probably my favourite song right now. Love the chilled-out vibe and the sweet vocals.

And I probably like this album more than MDNA and Hard Candy. Hard Candy feels dated, already and MDNA always felt it was rushed. MDNA has its glimpses of brilliance (Love Spent, and what Falling Free could have been if they spent more time working on it), but ultimately it is a sub-par effort by Madonna's standards. Rebel Heart feels more consistent than those two, at least.

Rebel Heart works best when it is at its earnest, introspective side, in my opinion. And I think it is a shame that it didn't end up as planned: a two discs album, featuring two sides of the same artist. The contra-position would have worked better, than just have everything mixed and grouped together.

Still miss Ray of Light Orbit and Stuart Price, though.

Lucael

Rebel Heart works best when it is at its earnest, introspective side, in my opinion. And I think it is a shame that it didn't end up as planned: a two discs album, featuring two sides of the same artist. The contra-position would have worked better, than just have everything mixed and grouped together.
Still miss Ray of Light Orbit and Stuart Price, though.

Well the two sides concept "Rebel" and "Heart" always sounded to me not like a concept that was there from the beginning, but something that was added later just to "sell" the album.

Nearly every good Madonna album has a not-so-hidden theme, a cohesive sound and music, the last one was Confessions and you can't find it in Candy Shop, MDNA or Rebel Heart.

As a huge fan of American Life (probably I'm the only one on earth to think it's her best album) I was expecting something like a version 2.0, the Avicii production looked to go that way (see the demo of Revolution), but I think she ditched it entirely except for Devil Pray.

Still miss Mirwais.

Frodo

Well the two sides concept "Rebel" and "Heart" always sounded to me not like a concept that was there from the beginning, but something that was added later just to "sell" the album.

Nearly every good Madonna album has a not-so-hidden theme, a cohesive sound and music, the last one was Confessions and you can't find it in Candy Shop, MDNA or Rebel Heart.

As a huge fan of American Life (probably I'm the only one on earth to think it's her best album) I was expecting something like a version 2.0, the Avicii production looked to go that way (see the demo of Revolution), but I think she ditched it entirely except for Devil Pray.

Still miss Mirwais.

Ha! I love American Life. I wouldn't say it is her best, but I don't understand the hate it gets. Easy Ride is one of my favourite Madonna's songs ever. And there is also the beautiful Love Profusion, Die Another Day, Nobody Knows Me and, X-tatic Process (and Hollywood and American Life aren't that bad also). I wouldn't mind a American LIfe 2.0 to be honest. :)

I would definitely rate it above Rebel Heart. :p

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So it looks like the second single off of Rebel Heart will be Ghosttown!

Not one of my faves tbh, but the song has grown on me. Personally, I would have chosen Joan of Arc as single #2. (Illuminati would be a GREAT video but it would probably flop as a single as it's not mainstream enough)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it's definitely a lot better than MDNA and Hard Candy, although it's not free from its missteps

Meowster

It's a really good album half-full of filler. Some tracks, like Veni Vidi Vici ft. Nas, Holy Water, Body Shop, Wash All Over Me, and Beautiful Scars are great returns for Madonna and show that she's getting back into making good melodies. The most disappointing part of Rebel Heart is that the first half (or the standard album) has the worst tracks. The deluxe and super deluxe are almost all superior. It is crazy. The best rivals M's work on Music and the worst is slightly below Hard Candy yet never sinking to the deep, dark, horrifying depths of MDNA.

It's a middle field album when you rank it to Madonna's past but I would certainly rank it over American Life, MDNA, Hard Candy, and Like A Virgin. True Blue, too, if we ignore the singles.

enigmatic_alex44

it's definitely a lot better than MDNA and Hard Candy, although it's not free from its missteps

Agreed, this is Madge's return to form and Metacritic agrees (I like HC and MDNA though) but even the best albums can be improved. Confessions on the Dancefloor is imo the best pop album ever produced, yet it has a small blemish with I Love New York that includes "makes me feel like a dork" as one of it's lyrics.....
NxA33G8.gif

It's a really good album half-full of filler. Some tracks, like Veni Vidi Vici ft. Nas, Holy Water, Body Shop, Wash All Over Me, and Beautiful Scars are great returns for Madonna and show that she's getting back into making good melodies. The most disappointing part of Rebel Heart is that the first half (or the standard album) has the worst tracks. The deluxe and super deluxe are almost all superior. It is crazy. The best rivals M's work on Music and the worst is slightly below Hard Candy yet never sinking to the deep, dark, horrifying depths of MDNA.

It's a middle field album when you rank it to Madonna's past but I would certainly rank it over American Life, MDNA, Hard Candy, and Like A Virgin. True Blue, too, if we ignore the singles.

Mhmmm. I've spent a good amount of time with Rebel Heart and I'd also say it's middle of the pack in comparison to M's past efforts, which makes it really good. Anyone going for the standard is REALLY doing themselves a disservice as they'll miss out on Rebel Heart (the song), Addicted, Beautiful Scars and a few other gems

3phemeral

I gave the album a shot and...

CAMiTm

...but in all seriousness, I think the following songs will make it into my permanent playlist.

Devil Pray
Ghosttown
Joan of Arc
Iconic
Holy Water
Inside Out
Best Night
Veni Vidi Vici
S.E.X.
Messiah
Rebel Heart​

With my favorites being the bolded.

I've not yet listened to MDNA in its entirety and I only cared for two songs on Confessions, so this is a good output for my tastes.

Frodo

Confessions on the Dancefloor is imo the best pop album ever produced, yet it has a small blemish with I Love New York that includes "makes me feel like a dork" as one of it's lyrics.....
NxA33G8.gif

Thank you. It is the only song I skip when I listen to Confessions. That line is just... oh well...

On Rebel Heart: it is a shame that Addicted and Beautiful Scars (and Borrowed Time as well) didn't make to the standard and deluxe versions of the album. They are all great. I'm still insisting Body Shop needs more love.

Meowster

Agreed, this is Madge's return to form and Metacritic agrees (I like HC and MDNA though) but even the best albums can be improved. Confessions on the Dancefloor is imo the best pop album ever produced, yet it has a small blemish with I Love New York that includes "makes me feel like a dork" as one of it's lyrics.....
NxA33G8.gif

Mhmmm. I've spent a good amount of time with Rebel Heart and I'd also say it's middle of the pack in comparison to M's past efforts, which makes it really good. Anyone going for the standard is REALLY doing themselves a disservice as they'll miss out on Rebel Heart (the song), Addicted, Beautiful Scars and a few other gems
Personally, I think Rebel Heart actually has more stand out songs than Confessions On a Dancefloor (which really only had Hung Up). Confessions is her probably in her top five though due to how damn consistent it is, it sounds like one entire song. One story throughout an entire album. I dig shit like that. RH is too eclectic and has too many filler that hold it down and keep it from being cohesive.

I'll never understand why she would cut Rebel Heart from Rebel Heart though.
e5210219.gif

Phreaker

Now that I've had a few listens, it's a fine album. It doesn't blow me away and a few songs are great. Overall I am enjoying having new Madonna songs to listen to.

Koodo

Banned
Horrendous album, and WORSE than the trash that was Hard Candy and MDNA. I'm only using Living For Love and Messiah.

And what is up with the mastering on iTunes? It sounds awful - in addition to the production sounding like it never left the demo stage.

Ahasverus

Can somebody tell me why the song "Rebel Heart" is not on the album? It's the best Madonna song in years. In fact, for what I've heard, this doesn't feel like one cohesive album, but like 2 albums stitched together: A bad, bland, dumb dance romp and an actually good, musically competent and lyrically interesting slow album. I'm pelasantly surprised, but some songs from the altter category are.. bonus tracks.

God Tier:
- Rebel heart (Without Avicii)
- Wash all over me

Good Tier:
- Ghosttown
- Devil Pray
- Joan of Arc
- Inside out
- Messiah
- Queen
- Addicted

Meh Tier:
- Hold tight
- Iconic
- Heartbreak City
- Veni Vedi Vici
- Beautiful Scars
- Borrowed Time
- Grafitti Heart
- Autotune baby

Bad Tier:
- Unapologetic Bitch
- Body Shop
- Best Night
- S.E.X (Really?)

Call-the-asylum Tier:
- Iliuminati
- Bitch I'm Madonna
- Holy Water

Note how a good album could have been made with the good and god tiers. That album would have been the best Madonna album since Ray of Light. But alas.

tmarques

Note how a good album could have been made with the good and god tiers. That album would have been the best Madonna album since Ray of Light. But alas.

Lots of people say that, but their idea of the 12 or so tracks that should have made the album is never the same. I know it's scary, but there are people out there who think Bitch, I´m Madonna is a good song.

I'm just happy I got 10 songs I really like and maybe a couple more I'll listen to occasionally. Better than the situation with MDNA where I was left with 4 songs or so.

enigmatic_alex44

So Madonna performed her 2nd single Ghost Town off of Rebel Heart last night @ the iHeart Radio Music Awards with ...... Taylor Swift!

Never expected them on stage together but it was amazing. Madge looked great and Taylor @ the guitar *.* The song's growing on me too. Very radio friendly, I expect this album to have legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom