• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's MDNA |OT| Her exquisite oyster display and reductive garnishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
Rihanna's LOUD TOUR is the biggest selling female tour of last year though.
Even Xtincta managed that achievement once. Needless to say, it isn't much of an achievement.

Where is Rihanus among the highest grossing tours in history?

12 sold out O2 dates, lets see how the BTW tour fares on the markets that will matter: US and UK. Coincidentally the markets where she's not performing well with her latest... music offerings...if thats what people call them...ch
IkaMn.gif
Sis please, you know there will be sell outs everywhere (rumor has it she will be booking stadiums in the UK). I don't understand why you would doubt this, as if you're not going to buy a ticket and stand in line for a chance to enter the Monster Pit.

IkaMn.gif

OT: the performance of Sorry in the Confessions Tour is iconic.

Mau ®

Sis please, you know there will be sell outs everywhere (rumor has it she will be booking stadiums in the UK). I don't understand why you would doubt this, as if you're not going to buy a ticket and stand in line for a chance to enter the Monster Pit.

IkaMn.gif

I wont deny Im inclined to go if she does visit my country
rihannablush.gif

Im only shading her because you're shading Rihsus
at1AU.gif

Gerl, we should stand against the likes of Perra and Cum$ha
So-Hard-rihanna-16561639-23.gif

You know Rih is a good pop gurl
ri02.gif

Koodo

Banned
I wont deny Im inclined to go if she does visit my country
rihannablush.gif
You better scream extra loud, there will be more people than before.
gaga30.gif

Im only shading her because you're shading Rihsus
at1AU.gif

Gerl, we should stand against the likes of Perra and Cum$ha
So-Hard-rihanna-16561639-23.gif
Sis, you know I'm just playing too.
brit18.gif

We will stand against the payola of Perra and the nuclear waste of Cum¢ha.

You know Rih is a good pop gurl
ri02.gif
I have to admit, I would purchase a Greatest Hits compilation from her.
brit09.gif

That title won't fit. I suggest:

Madonna's MDNA |OT| Her exquisite oyster display and reductive garnishing

Love it.

I cannot hate Gaga, she has made such a great connection with today's gay youth. If her message gets spread to less progressive countries it's all for the best.

Why can't Rihanna get visas to some countries? Chris won't let her?

Nemesis_

The production of I'm Addicted sounds so wrong. It's as if they recorded the vocals independently to the production, mashed them together and then didn't listen to it afterwards. >_>

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm Addicted sounds interesting, although hard to form an opinion from just that bit. Reminds me of Impressive Instant in a way.

I'm sort of liking the throwbacks to old-school dance music in places from the stuff so far. It's like there's a good idea there somewhere, and would fit with the name of the album and MDMA obviously. But nothing really stands out so far, the alternative (much better) mix of GGW coming closest.

Wish the Orbit ones would leak.

Impressive Instant is exactly what came into mind as I listened to this. It's very low-fi and I can't phantom how people can judge a song by a 15 second snippet.

It's a 1 minute snippet. And after hearing it repeatedly, I can say that it's definitely the best thing I've heard from her album so far. I'm digging it.

Track-by-track review of the standard edition

1. Girl Gone Wild

A lean, sleek, electro stomper kicks proceedings off the way Madonna means to continue – with the machine tooled precision of 21st century techno-pop, balancing the twin requirements of radio friendly hooks and dance floor drive. “Girls they just wanna have some fun,” suggests our fearless leader.

Now where have we heard that idea before? This not particularly original notion is the album’s central manifesto: innocent amusement over introspection.

2. Gang Bang

Despite an unfortunate title that younger fans would be advised not to google, this is not (thankfully) some brutal sex romp. Rather, the title is a misguided attempt to distinguish itself from Sixties pop classic Bang Bang, from which Madonna borrows the central image of murdering a paramour: “Bang bang, shot you dead / Shot my lover in the head”. Sparse and atmospheric, with a stripped back electrobeat and low, drawling vocal, buoyed by bursts of sub-bass and developing into a solid techno groove, its one of the album’s odder and most interesting tracks, only sullied by Madonna’s dedication to leaving no lyrical cliché unturned. She is a fish out of water, a bat out of hell, apparently.

3. I’m Addicted

Arpeggiated synth sequences build into fizzing swells and stabs, bleeping and swooshing all the way. Very effective digital pop that will sound fantastic loud and hard on the dance floor but, like so many songs on Madonna’s 12th studio album, lyrics appear to have been added as an afterthought. Does anyone really need another song about being addicted to love, comparing the rush of hormones with narcotics? The vocal cuts and stutters, so that Madonna repeatedly declares herself to be a dick, dick.

4. Turn Up The Radio

Even in the age of the internet, it is still the radio that holds romance for our 54-year-old pop queen. Lush, shimmery keyboards frame a slow start, with Madonna seeking space from the crowd (or rather, in an effort to use every cliché available, “the maddening crowd”), before a nice, wonky synth launches a solid pop belter. Madonna finds herself “sucked like a moth to the flame” but the slamming dance floor outro should distract from lyrical banality.

5. Give Me All Your Luvin’

Is the spelling meant to distinguish it in search engines from ZZ Tops’ Gimme All Your Lovin’? Madonna’s serial appropriation of perennially overused ideas might almost be passed off as some kind of pop parlour game.

The first single is the lightest, frothiest track on the album, deliberately dinky and cute, built on a burbling eighties synth and glam slam drum pattern. Its prime purpose appears to involve Niki Minaj and MIA represent all next generation female pop stars by swearing allegiance to the Queen with the chant of “L-U-V Madonna!”

6. Some Girls

Let’s give Madonna the benefit of the doubt and assume she didn’t know the Rolling Stones already have a song called Some Girls. Anyway, you’d never find Mick and Keith shaking their stuff to a mid-tempo groove with a deep electro bass line and stabbing synths. Producer William Orbit plays tricks with Madonna’s vocals, from intimate to echoed, tinny to seductive, but the intention is apparently not to portray Madonna as some kind of every woman: “Some girls are not like me / I’d never wanna be like some girls” she rather tartly declares.

7. Superstar

Sweet and summery, with a shimmering ambience built up from a ringing guitar loop and echoing tom tom pattern that might have been constructed from Beatle drum fills. The poppy melody and “ooh la la, you’re a superstar” singalong chorus houses a lyric so clumsy its obtuseness almost sounds deliberate: “You can have the password to my phone / I’ll give you a massage when you get home”. For someone determined to keep up with the kids, Madonna’s retro references for ideal men may leave the youngsters baffled: Brando, Travolta, James Dean, Bruce Lee and Abe Lincoln (cause you fight for what’s right”).

8. I Don’t Give A

There is real energy to this Martin Solveig production. Madonna delivers a raised middle finger to the world in general, and ex-husband Guy Ritchie in particular: “I tried to be a good girl / I tried to be your wife / I diminished myself / And I swallowed my light / I tried to become all / That you expect of me / And if I was a failure / I don’t give a …” (I’ve been trying to think of an obscenity that rhymes with “me”, but maybe I am missing the point). The ending twists into a big, autotune choral coda with the drama of a techno Carmina Burana. An album highlight, though Niki Minaj’s explosive rap rather shows up Madonna’s more static delivery.

9. I’m A Sinner

With Orbit back at the controls, this is reminiscent of the uplifting thrill of Ray of Light. Constructed on a drum loop, it pulses along with a fluid almost Sixties keyboard, building to a big, declarative chugging gospel techno ride, with Madonna exultantly declaring that, like St Augustine, she wants to be saved, but not quite yet. A breakdown into a recitation of Saints (Christopher, Sebastian and Anthony all get a name check) is effective, and it ends with “ooh ooh”s cheekily reminiscent of Sympathy For The Devil. Fun.

10. Love Spent

Gypsy string loop and brief, treated Spaghetti Western banjo flourishes introduce an almost organic feel to a very synthetic, stylised album. A pop song about love and money (topics the Material Girl frequently conflates) it weaves elegant electro patterns and builds to a big, throbbing chorus.

11. Masterpiece

Sweet, gentle love song with a Spanish guitar loop, a light beat and flowing melody, filled out by synthetic strings. The theme song for her critically panned film W.E., she may have been thinking of Prince Edward when she wrote “honestly, it can’t be fun / To always be the chosen one”, but the message applies just as much to Madonna herself. For most of this album she seems determined to demonstrate that a 50-year-old mother of four can still cut it with the kids at the club. Yet, perversely, she sounds most at ease when she calms down a bit and acts her age.

12. Falling Free

The first five tracks of MDNA are all produced by hit techno teams and the results are digitally sparkling, catchy and contemporary. The second half of the album is presided over by William Orbit, and while not as immediately hook laden, there is more sonic depth and invention. But only on the album closer is there a suggestion of a musical life beyond the hit parade. With a cascading, beatless melody and poetic, free form lyrics, Madonna’s pure, dreamy vocal has her declaring herself “free to fail.” It is a song about letting go, by a woman who, most the time, seems to be holding on very tightly indeed. Although out of character with the rest of this youth-focused electro dance pop confection, it suggests that Madonna may actually have musical and emotional places to explore when she eventually tires of setting the pop pace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...nas-new-album-MDNA-track-by-track-review.html

Love Spent.

ART.

Review from The Guardian

Gang Bang
Madonna in playful mode. Big throbbing industrial-tinged beats, spoken word verses, no real chorus, just a ridiculous collection of sound effects (police sirens, gunshots) and imposing menace that's actually pretty fun in a kind of slightly unhinged way. Gang Bang recalls her American Life album in its slightly uneasy marrying of genres, with a sudden dubstep breakdown its most obvious detour. Lyrically it's a twisted revenge fantasy rather than a sordid romp, closing with the line: "If you're going to drive like a bitch then you're going to die like a bitch."

I'm Addicted
Again co-produced by Benny Benassi, this continues the theme of "Fun!" (however forced it might seem) that permeates most of MDNA's first half. "I need to dance," Madonna trills over squiggly synth squelches and a beat that morphs into a fairly ridiculous Calvin Harris-esque breakdown. By the end she's chanting "M D N A", which you imagine might be shouted back at her by some fairly large crowds come summer.

Turn Up The Radio
This one, co-produced by Martin Solveig, should have been the second single. Its relatively calm intro is a timely breather from the throbbing bass and feels more carefree and instinctive than what has gone before. Over a bouncing beat that filters, stutters and drops in all the right places, it slowly morphs into an anthemic raveathon, with a lovely middle eight underpinned by almost tribal drums. Again, the theme is the need for one and all to chill out and have some fun.

Some Girls
Probably the album's weakest moment, with Madonna's vocals pulled, processed and buried deep in the mix, acting more like another instrument within a deluge of filtered beats. It could have easily been a leftover from her Music album, William Orbit unable to find a melodic core in a song that probably should have been included as a bonus track.

Superstar
Opening with a massive Cheerleader-style drum beat – reminiscent of the extended intro to Solveig's Hello – this is much better, Madonna sounding playful and energised, singing about how her new boyfriend is pretty amazing. In fact, she likes him so much she'll let him "have the password to my phone". Unfortunately, as with most songs on the first half of the album, the chorus is a bit weak, a simple "oh la la, you're my superstar". Also, memo to Madonna: massive pop stars knowing about dubstep is probably a bit old hat now, but we get another dubstepesque breakdown nonetheless.

I Don't Give A (ft Nicki Minaj)
Brilliantly odd. Opening with a bang, literally, it goes on to morph into an America Life-style rap (no wait, come back) that features a list of things Madonna has to do ("meet the press … sign the contract"). The industrial beats soon make way for spooky chants and out of nowhere Minaj pops up, finishing her rap with "there's only one Queen and that's Madonna, bitch". If this isn't being made into a T-shirt as you read this then there's something wrong with the world of merchandise.

I'm A Sinner
Futuristic-sounding, double-tracked beats hail a song that veers from having fun on a night out ("all the boys and the girls wanna be like us tonight"), to a religious revelry ("Hail Mary, Jesus Christ on the cross died for our sins"). Produced by William Orbit, his signature motifs are all over it, from the Ray of Light-style guitar line that emerges from nowhere to the bit later on that sounds like Beautiful Stranger.

Love Spent
Back come the guitars, this time working around processed strings, a pretty melody and lyrics about wanting to replace money in a man's affections. "Hold me like your money … Spend your love on me," Madonna sings over four-to-the-floor beats and a properly ravey middle eight. There's an amusing moment when she deadpans: "Frankly, if my name was Benjamin, we wouldn't be in this mess we're in."

Falling Free
Opens with a spooky, slightly unhinged piano section that's more lonely woman in haunted house than Coldplay stadium filler. Deep strings underpin the whole thing, with just the piano and strange electronic textures – similar to Ray of Light's Drowned World – for company. As with most of the later songs, you could easily read a lot into the lyrics, specifically thinking about Madonna's divorce from Guy Ritchie. "We're both free, free to go," she sings as the strings sigh and slowly settle. It's a haunting way to end the main album.

Beautiful Killer
The first of four bonus tracks, this draws on a fairly popular Madonna theme: that of being drawn to something bad for you. "Baby I'll let you shoot me down" and "I can't really talk with a gun in my mouth" are two lyrical highlights on a song that was rightly left off the main album.

I Fucked Up
This, however, definitely should have been on it. Opening with a big, bass-heavy beat and a snapped "I fucked up", it's Madonna at her self-lacerating best. "I made a mistake, nobody does it better than myself," she sings as the beat is joined by strings and sudden bursts of guitar. Suddenly the beat skips and speeds up, creating the album's grimiest, least polished moment. Fans of Confessions on a Dance Floor's Sorry will be pleased to hear her sing "je suis desolé" in the least convincing French accent.

B-Day Song
Rumours that this MIA collaboration was bumped from the main tracklisting following middlefingergate were not confirmed during the playback, but it's more than likely it was left off because it's Motown/Spectorish beat doesn't really fit with the rest of the album. It's a jolly romp though, with MIA joining in on the chorus but letting Madonna deliver the line "give me a spanking, start the day off right" by herself.

Best Friend
A real highlight. With a massive electro beat that pogos all over the place, this is a brilliant rush of darting synths. Lyrically it's about a relationship that should never have been, Madonna lamenting the loss of a friendship after things went wrong. There are nods, perhaps, to her previous life as part of the English gentry – "I miss the countryside in which we used to lay" – and it's one of the few times on the album where the chorus truly soars. It ends with the line "it's so sad that it had to end" and, generally, this is true of Madonna's MDNA, an album that's been trailed by weak singles, but contains brilliantly bonkers moments.

royalan

I have a confession to make.

Madge has really disappointed me thus far this era.

However, with that said, "I'm Addicted" is giving me absolute life.

I didn't like it at first, but something about the 90s House synths in the bridge really wormed takes me back to 90s Club Queen Madonna. And her vocals, while still her trademark monotone, sound full and have a sense of life behind him. The way she sings takes me back to her Ray of Light era.

This should have been a single.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's a terrible quality snippet, but Love Spent is very Orbit.

The leaks are much more interesting than the singles so far.

Mau ®

Im loving Love Spent and Im Addicted.

Sure her voice is completely buried under all the synths. But for some reason, it works lol.

Koodo

Banned
If the album actually turns out good, they need to fire whoever is in charge of releasing singles. Such awful choices to "sell" the album.

The album has been pretty much UNIVERSALLY PRAISED at this point, as if it weren't to be expected.

Popjustice review

I just glanced over most reviews, but I wouldn't really call it "universally praised". Seems like there's a mix between good en bad songs. And I presume that the early reviews tend to be more positive than usual (or am I wrong on this?).

I'll wait and see.

Love Spent and I'm Addicted sound good.
Give me all your Luv and Girl Gone Wild sound mediocre.

Mixed bag till now.

Great OP. Just looking at the writing credits, I didn't know half of it was with William Orbit till now.

The reviews make the album sound really safe and crowd-pleasing, but I like the two singles so far, so I'm ready!

Nemesis_

Updated the tracklisting so all the leaked snippets are now clickable.

Gang Bang is my most favourite so far, also (as others have said) probably the least radio friendly. =/

Updated the tracklisting so all the leaked snippets are now clickable.

Gang Bang is my most favourite so far, also (as others have said) probably the least radio friendly. =/

The best songs on Music, American Life, CoaD and Hard Candy weren't released as singles, so I remain unsurprised.

As much as I like Girls Gone Wild, I'm still baffled by its release as a second single. Also baffled that Madonna has ZERO promotion planned for the album.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
!!!!!

Gang Bang is great, those synth-lines! It's all finally beginning to sound like what it should do considering the people involved. Solveig was always going to be the weak link. Demolition Crew from this track also made the only good remix of GMAYL for those who haven't heard it as it was released later.

They completely changed it and turned it all old-school dance, which seems to be a bit of a recurring theme with this album:

http://hypem.com/search/Madonna demolition crew/1/

Just keeps building and gets better the longer it goes on, very nice indeed.

Examiner.com:
San Diego’s Z90.3 will be premiering tracks from Madonna’s upcoming spectacular album MDNA starting on Friday, March 23. But you don’t have to wait—yesterday, we drove all the way to Los Angeles for a listening party. Needless to say, nearly getting in two accidents and driving in back-to-back rush hour traffic was worth it.

We won’t be able to post our full and detailed review until sometime closer to the release date. However, we can reveal our first impressions after listening to the album just once.

• MDNA can best be described as Ray of Light on steroids. You can also throw in some Confessions on a Dance Floor.
  • The first two singles don’t do this album justice. “Give Me All Your Luvin” still sticks out like a sore thumb on the album. “Girls Gone Wild” is a great dance track, but doesn’t display Madonna’s full capabilities.
  • Our favorite track on the album is “Love Spent,” an amazing electro-ballad that is beautifully sung and produced. We were told that an acoustic version of the song is set to be released.
  • Our second favorite song is “Gang Bang,” which is wild, scary, and sexy all in the same breath.
  • Guy Richie is still on Madonna’s mind. “Best Friend” and “Falling Free” will put a smile on his face.
  • Sorry, Little Monsters—we love Lady Gaga, but this album makes everything she has ever done seem reductive.

mmhmmm.

Another review:
TRACK-BY-TRACK: Madonna - MDNA

Yesterday we repaired to London's Abbey Road Studios to waggle our ears just the once at Madonna's new album MDNA. The Queen Of Pop's first album for new label Interscope (Polydor in the UK), it sees her join forces with Italian housemeister Benny Benassi and France's Martin Solveig, and team up again with Ray Of Light and Music cohort William Orbit.

Ahead of a standard-format review nearer to MDNA's release date (26th March), Laurence Green runs through the album track by track...

Girl Gone Wild

Kicks off with a spoken word intro – already placing it in classic Madonna territory. It’s that ego-centricness of Confessions On A Dancefloor all over again, but with even louder beats. There’s the slick veneer of the commercial dance number here too, echoing recent Greatest Hits teaser single Celebration. The vocals aren’t Madonna’s best – a defining feature across the album – but when the clubland backing is so explosively loud, that’s hardly a detracting feature. There’s even a persistent energy of sorts to the vocals that, twinned with the buzz-saw synths, firmly establishes Girl Gone Wild as the sound of ‘now’. With its aping of the ‘girls just wanna have some fun’ refrain, there’s a real '80s sentiment beating at the heart of the track too.

Gang Bang

"If I see that bitch in hell I’m gonna shoot them in the head again" – Madonna’s brawling for some action here, via a filthy, almost Erotica-esque onslaught of breathy vocals. It teases and plays, proper between the covers stuff; which you’d kind of expect from a song with a title as blatantly lewd as Gang Bang. At moments it all sounds like something off Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack; hard techno, brutal, uncompromising and industrial. Gang Bang feels vital and on point in a way Madonna hasn’t sounded in years. There’s police sirens and an obliging dubstep middle-eight (there was always going to be one on the album, wasn’t there?) – Everything about Gang Bang is menacing and comes on at full-throttle, right down to Madonna’s flippant remark of "I’m going straight to hell".

I’m Addicted

The burbly techno synths continue here, again it’s all very Tron-esque. If Confessions was dancey, I’m Addicted is dancey with a capital D. The bass positively explodes outwards and it’s refreshing to see Madonna putting out something with real punch. For an artist of her age and experience, she could easily rest on her laurels, and I’m Addicted is about as far away from that as it’s possible to get. Some rave synths get whacked into the mix too, like it’s 1991 all over again – this leads into a hyper-fast outro of the "MDNA!" hook, putting the track forward as a real centrepiece model for the rest of the album.

Turn Up The Radio

This is where the real Madonna melodies of old surface, mining the kind of exuberant stuff that characterised her '80s greats – that playful spirit is well and truly back. As obvious as its airwaves-courting title might be, this is *the* big radio hit on the album, the kind stations up and down the country will lap up in the summer. There’s an incredible abundance of optimism here, a carefree abandon in thrilling degrees of magnitude. Here Madonna is the American queen triumphant, proclaiming "I wanna go fast and I’m gonna go far" in an up-and-at-em call of readiness for life and anything it chooses to throw at her.

Give Me All Your Luvin

In hindsight, and with the hype and drama of the Superbowl performance behind her, the truth is that Madonna doesn’t really need Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. on the album. In the wider scope of MDNA as a whole, they pale into the background – though to be fair to them, they’re a much better fit than Timbaland and Justin Timberlake were on Hard Candy. Clearly, the aspect of sisterhood combined has something going for it though, and it’s nice to hear Madonna so rejuvenated and youthful here, having some fun and laughs with her ‘hip’ pals.

Some Girls

The first of the five William Orbit tracks on the album, and it kicks off with yet more of the palpably massive levels of bass that mark out the record’s opening tracks. The industrial techno theme is continued too with a massive wedge of robotic treated vocals snaking out across the song. There’s a harking back to the more electronic moments of Music and American Life, everything pumping with the air of Madonna as superior, as the pinnacle of her contemporaries. As with Orbit’s Ray Of Light era productions, the track thrives on a sense of experimentalism that still remains effortlessly commercial at the same time.

Superstar

Ironically, Superstar isn’t one of the William Orbit tracks, but it sure sounds like one. It’s the album’s ‘rock’ track and stands as another prime single candidate. The melody is sublime, the kind of thing long-time Madonna fans have been waiting years for, and released here, it’s like a cleansing burst of pure radiance. Even the slightly shoe-horned in dubstep section can’t detract from the song, it’s that good.

I Don’t Give A

Here, the industrial influences meet hip-hop beats amongst a grinding cacophony of sound and borderline raps from Madonna (though thankfully it never reaches the silly, pretentious levels of the ill-fated American Life single). "I’m gonna live fast, and I’m gonna live life," she claims, with a sort of wry simplicity, as if that’s all there is to it. It’s probably one of the album’s weaker tracks, stemming chiefly from the fact that – as Hard Candy proved – Madonna just can’t do ‘urban’ (Bedtime Stories excepted). Nicki Minaj pops up again and then the track descends into a weird cod-orchestral outro. It’s regality defined, and Nicki eagerly clamours to hold up Madonna as such: "There’s only one queen, and that’s Madonna, bitch."

I’m A Sinner

That trademark psychedelic William Orbit sound is out in force here, with crunchy guitar riffs once again suggesting the Ray of Light era. There’s some lovely tinkling, celestially imbued synth bits and tribal sounds going on too. At times, it all feels a bit like Madonna’s about to don her Earth Mother makeover, and by any measure, this is definitely the album’s most religious track as she reels off names of saints.

Love Spent

The opening moments sound akin to the country n’ beats combo of Music’s Don’t Tell Me and while Love Spent takes some time to get going, it’s worth the wait. In the final choruses, everything all comes in at once, backed up by thunderclap beats – as far as firmly defined ‘album tracks’ go, this is a pretty good effort, even if it feels a little by-the-numbers at times.

Masterpiece

Yes, it might be a Madonna ballad of a certain esteemed ‘class’, and yes, it might be on the W.E. soundtrack, but that’s probably where it should have stayed. After the hi-energy pace of the rest of the album, Masterpiece feels out of place.

Falling Free

Compared to Masterpiece, Falling Free makes a far better stab at positioning itself as a ballad that fits into the wider context of MDNA. Echoey piano lines and string sections set up a lovely trippy vibe that shares more than a little in common with the likes of Drowned World/Substitute for Love. Falling Free sounds properly sumptuous; there’s a richness to its production that serves to close the album down as a real assertion of Madonna ‘the artist’. Her vocals here are excellent, both moving and tender in a way that genuinely touches at the heart. Like scented rose petals and jasmine cast loose on water, Falling Free has a rippling beauty to it that is utterly enchanting.

Beautiful Killer

The first of the bonus tracks, and of all the Martin Solveig-produced songs on MDNA, this sounds most stereotypically of his ‘style’. As is often the wont with bonus tracks, Beautiful Killer is pretty disposable, a bog standard clubland floorfiller – but the middle-eight is rather good.

I Fucked Up

A slow grind of swirly synths and guitar that feels restrained from ever becoming properly great because of that really quite cringeworthy title. It’s just one step too far on the crudeness barometer. But as with Beautiful Killer, the pace ups in the closing moments and the song improves with impressive agility. There’s also a neat reference to Sorry as Madonna recycles her "Je suis désolée" line.

B-Day Song

Featuring M.I.A., B-Day Song feels like the obvious counterpoint to Give Me All Your Luvin, with M.I.A. feeling far more at home here than she does on the album-proper. It’s bratty with a Material Girl punkiness to it but the chorus hook is predominantly more annoying than catchy, with only the choppy guitar riffs helping salvage affairs.

Best Friend

Another wary dip into a more urban soundbase, there’s some cute blippy GameBoy-style synths to play with here, but for the most part Best Friend sounds like an unfinished demo or drum machine exercise. There’s a bare boned minimalism to the track that, as with Beautiful Killer, sets it very much out as ‘just’ a bonus track.

In summary, whereas Hard Candy felt like it was grasping at fading trends, MDNA is far more Madonna just being Madonna. And that usually turns out best for everyone involved.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Numerous magazines and websites have full copies of the album and not one of these places has an after-hours cleaning lady who knows how to use Mediafire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom