• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's MDNA |OT| Her exquisite oyster display and reductive garnishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The official Girl Gone Wild video preview...
tallvo.jpg.gif

I don't even know the sentiment that sentence and gif are supposed to portray.

Cosmicbus said:
Numerous magazines and websites have full copies of the album and not one of these places has an after-hours cleaning lady who knows how to use Mediafire?
Haha, true.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I wonder when she's gonna drop the "party girl" image she's clinging to. You're 53, woman. I don't buy it for a second! Silhouetted yoga dance moves? Skintight jumpsuits? Eeehhhh...

Since there are dubstep parts in a few songs, I hope they're the good kind of dubstep where the song just gets a different beat, and not the bad kind of "what the fuck is this skrillex drek my ears are bleeding the music installation just fell on the ground and is dying" bullshit.

I wonder when she's gonna drop the "party girl" image she's clinging to. You're 53, woman. I don't buy it for a second! Silhouetted yoga dance moves? Skintight jumpsuits? Eeehhhh...

Just one more social expectation to overcome. She's a pro at this game. You will fold before she does.

Confession: I was listening to Ray of Light and Confessions today, but I kept wanting to change the song to Girl Gone Wild.

It has officially infected me!

Confession time: I love American Life (the song and the album). It's has some really tender moments and we get a glimpse of Madonna we don't get to see very often. Vulnerable, sweet Madonna. In fact it's one of my favorite albumss from her.

I also really dig American Life (single). I think it's just brilliant and I think that everyone that criticizes the rap section of the song pretty much missed the whole point of it.

Confession: I was listening to Ray of Light and Confessions today, but I kept wanting to change the song to Girl Gone Wild.

It has officially infected me!

When I hear those 808 drums..

tumblr_m0nkfbX3iS1qjumzho1_400.gif

Confession time: I love American Life (the song and the album). It's has some really tender moments and we get a glimpse of Madonna we don't get to see very often. Vulnerable, sweet Madonna. In fact it's one of my favorite albumss from her.

I also really dig American Life (single). I think it's just brilliant and I think that everyone that criticizes the rap section of the song pretty much missed the whole point of it.

American Life is awesome. Intervention is my favourite song.

And the live version of Nobody Knows Me is just..

tumblr_lur2cz3UKS1r3ymmao1_500.gif

I disagree with you. American Life is one of her worst albums because its incredibly narcissistic and self indulgent. Nobody really wants to hear Madonna complain about her fame and millions of dollars, that's why it was her least successful album. It also contains some of the worst lyrics of her career (i.e. love profusion)

I disagree with you. American Life is one of her worst albums because its incredibly narcissistic and self indulgent. Nobody really wants to hear Madonna complain about her fame and millions of dollars, that's why it was her least successful album. It also contains some of the worst lyrics of her career (i.e. love profusion)

Mother and Father is a much bigger offender in the lyrics department.

There's narcissism in most of her albums. Like a Prayer, Ray of Light and Confessions all had self-indulgent moments. You probably just didn't like the sound of American Life, which is fine. I like the raw feeling of the whole album. I personally find Music to be her more spotty album of the bunch.

Love Profusion is one of my favorite tracks on the album btw, diff'rent strokes.

Nemesis_

I wish that reviewers would stop saying THIS ISN'T LIKE GAGA and stuff like that.

Why can't everyone just get along ;_; and stop fanning the flames ;_:

Indie wankers NME review MDNA..

... and they love it.

Madonna, 'MDNA' - First Listen
By Ailbhe MalonePosted on 03/12/12 at 05:43:43 pm

The Material Girl returns with her 12th studio album. Is it any cop? Let’s find out....

‘Girl Gone Wild’
Though most will have heard this track already (it’s the second single off the album) it’s worth a recap. Produced by Benny Benassi, Madonna intros with a spoken word segment about how she wants "so badly to be good". As the album plays through, the strangeness of the single's choice will become more apparent. ‘Girl Gone Wild’ does little to set the listener up for what’s about to come next.

‘Gang Bang’
With an intro consisting of a revving engine and a solid four-to-the-floor beat, ‘Gang Bang’ is Madge Gone Industrial. We’re certainly not mentioning another blonde female artist who also took inspiration from German Industrial on her last album, but we’re in the same ball park. It’s exciting. Madonna’s ditched the faux English accent and the mood is tense. It feels like something's about to snap as she declares “You were building my coffin/ you were driving my hearse". Ubiquitous Dubstep wobble aside, the track tails off into a wonderful 'Faster Kill Pussycat' segment, with Madge singing “Drive bitch and while you're at it die bitch!”

‘I’m Addicted’
Electronic ripples open the track into something that sounds like ‘Momma's Place’-era Roisin Murphy. There are some nudging references to Killer Rave Drugs as Madonna sings "It's like MDMA and that's OK". There’s another dubsteppy breakdown that ends with her chanting "MDNA" over an electro explosion. We can't wait to see this live.

‘Turn Up the Radio’
This is the first of the six Martin Solveig-produced tracks on the album(including the bonus tracks). There’s a Dragonette style vocal and lyrics about music helping you to forget your woes. It’s quite sweet, and leads nicely into the next track...

‘Give Me All Your Luvin’’
...which is still amazing.

‘Some Girls’
The first William Orbit cut (of five). Direct and bitchy, Madonna’s vocals are treated and hidden beneath a heavy bass. It’s a mid-tempo track with a chorus of "Some girls are not like me / I never want to be like some girls".

‘Superstar’
This track feels a bit lightweight amongst the others. There’s a Katy Perry vibe. The "Oh la la you're my superstar" chorus seems like a incongruous filler with the cheeky cringey teen lyrics: "You're like Abe Lincoln because you fight for what's right". Maybe Lourdes helped her with this one?

‘I Don’t Give A’
Lyrically, this is a list of all the things that Madonna has to do: "Message manager no time for a manicure". It avoids turning into ‘American Life’ thanks to Madonna letting a little bit of her guard down: "I tried to be a good girl I tried to be your wife". Nicki Minaj's guest spot is relaxed and ends with the immortal line: "There's only one queen and that's Madonna, bitch".

‘I’m A Sinner’
A psychy track that feels like a mix of Peaches and Martha And The Vandellas. It sounds fresh, and tongue firmly in cheek Madonna lists some saints over a "Wo-oh-ah" backing vocal.

‘Love Spent’
Though ‘Love Spent’ could come across as a kind of 'Exquisite Corpse' of a track (banjo intro, then violins, then spoken word) it’s really brilliant. Madonna channels ABBA-level spousal hurt as she sings "Hold me like your money, tell me that you want me, spend your love on me".

‘Masterpiece’
The track from W.E. It sounds a bit zzzz here to be honest.

‘Falling Free’
Elegant and classy, the warped piano sounds of the final track on the album proper is a fitting end. This icy ballad fits far better than ‘Masterpiece’ as Madonna addresses a problem she wishes she could forget: "When I move a certain way I feel an ache I've kept at bay".

‘Beautiful Killer’
Yep, you guessed it: beautiful filler, more like.

‘I f**ked Up’
It’s strange that this didn’t make it onto the main CD. This is the track that most critics have pegged to be about Guy Ritchie. Aside from the token French interlude, this is understated and excellent, and could easily have replaced ‘Masterpiece’.

‘B-Day Song’
M.I.A. makes an appearance on this 60s-influenced Solveig track. Though there’s a line about how Madonna likes to spend her birthdays ("Give me a spanking start the day off right") it’s clear why this isn’t a main track.

'Best Friend’
Madonna lists things she misses in her partner. It sounds a bit like a vocodorized Max Martin track, which would normally be amazing, but in these circumstances, it doesn’t really fit.

So, is the Queen of Pop back on her throne? Just about. We’d pledge our allegiance anyway.

Koodo

Banned
Falling Free was compared to Drowned World in one of these reviews, if I recall. The song seems like an icier version, which is making me wet.

I can also see GGW and GMAYL sounding better in the context of the album.

We’re certainly not mentioning another blonde female artist who also took inspiration from German Industrial on her last album.
iAJhThclHR6oa.gif

tmarques

Numerous magazines and websites have full copies of the album and not one of these places has an after-hours cleaning lady who knows how to use Mediafire?

I'm pretty sure the norm these days is inviting reviewers to a "listening party" so the album won't leak. Which is why I'm always suspicious of early reviews - I bet they only invite the ones who are likely to give glowing reviews, give them alcohol and then allow them to listen to the whole thing ONCE.

And even if copies are sent out early, I'm sure they are digitally marked in a way that can be traced to the leaker.

Nemesis_

Updated the tracklisting with all the preview links.

NON-SINGLE TRACKS
  • #2 Gang Bang (Madonna, Mika, Demolition Crew)
  • #3 I'm Addicted (Madonna, Benny Benassia, Alle Benassi, Demolition Crew)
  • #4 Turn Up The Radio (Madonna, Martin Solveig)
  • #6 Some Girls (Madonna, William Orbit)
  • #7 Superstar (Madonna, Indigo Muanza, Michael Malih)
  • #8 I Don't Give A... [ft. Nicki Minaj] (Madonna, Martin Solveig)
  • #9 I'm A Sinner (Madonna, William Orbit)
  • #10 Love Spent (Madonna, William Orbit)
  • #11 Masterpiece (Madonna, William Orbit)
  • #12 Falling Free (Madonna, William Orbit)

Also, submitted title change request for all you who DIDN'T LIKE MINE

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
And even if copies are sent out early, I'm sure they are digitally marked in a way that can be traced to the leaker.

Yeah, I know how tight security can be on big releases these days. I'm just getting ansty for this to come out... I'll be shocked if it actually leaks more than 24 hours before the release date, if at all.

Love Profusion is one of my favorite tracks on the album btw, diff'rent strokes.

As much as I dislike most of Music, "Profusion" is one track that consistently ends up on my mp3 player. It's got a nice vibe that really clicks with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom