• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magistrate grants Sony access to visitor personal data on Youtube/Twitter re: GeoHot

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SuperSonic1305 said:
I honestly cannot believe the responses in this thread. Some of you guys have stuff shoved so far up your asses.
FU are you saying I need to have a checkup? You tracking my IP now to see my bowel movements?!?!?!

Negaiido said:
That you're anti Sony? :p
That would be simple but this one in particular just feels strong about the actions taken. I wouldn't let that skew his/her good natured being.

In related story I am opening an online store that sells tinfoil hats, they come in all sorts of styles and fashionable designs, I will post a link to the online shop for all GAFfers that are interested in this thread.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Shurs said:
So what is the point of this?

Will they try to match the IP addresses to those of people logged on to Playstation Network in an attempt to figure out who has installed custom firmware?

-PXG- said:
Sony wants the IP addresses for two reasons people:

1) To prove that Geohot distributed hacked code and infomation on how made it

2) To prove that people from Northern California visited Geohotz's websites, so that they can hold the trial in the California, instead of New Jersey.

Sony, is most likely legally bound to this motion. Any additional action or any breach could mean some kind of consequences. For instance, let's say Sony wanted to pick a random IP address, find someone's personal info and use it to take sue them. Guess what? They can't. The case will be thrown out before it even gets to trial. So stop freaking out.

Negaiido

-PXG- said:
Fixed that for you....actually...two. Grafloko or whatever his name is. That guy in Germany. Beyond, say fining, two people, and perhaps calming the nerves of investors, this will do jack shit for them.

Not really, if they win it then they can win everything in the future that involves illegal activities like these.

jim-jam bongs said:
Also, this is totally unnecessary. A third-party forensic investigator could analyse the logs from Geohot's server and create a report from the aggregate data which contained NO private information about where the file was downloaded, and it would still serve the purpose argued by Sony. Same goes for the logs from YouTube and from Twitter.

That's not how a motion for discovery is granted. They are observed during the discovery, but the information is never given to a 3rd party to look at.

Negaiido said:
That you're anti Sony? :p

Hey hey hey that's way too broad the two games in my avatar originated on the Playstation!

I'm anti Sony-in-this-matter. My comment to Negaiido was regarding his/her written assumption that anyone who disagrees with Sony's actions must be hiding "illegal" activity on their console, as per his post.

Trevelyon

EricHasNoPull said:
In related story I am opening an online store that sells tinfoil hats, they come in all sorts of styles and designs, I will post a link to the online shop for all GAFfers that are interested in this thread.

Can I get one in a poncho? I want to be extra protected against the Sony boogeyman's corporate rays.

[Nintex]

LiquidMetal14 said:
nothing more will come of it.
Do you know how many legal teams are creaming their pants right now? Now that they can get the IP's it'll only take some time untill someone takes the next step and decides to build a case based on that information. In other words, sue everyone who has seen something they weren't supposed to(and that could be anything like a leaked trailer, hacker code, naked celeb vid, how to build a bomb instruction video).

LiquidMetal14

Mama Robotnik said:
Hey hey hey that's way too broad the two games in my avatar originated on the Playstation!

I'm anti Sony-in-this-matter.
kains.jpg

:p

I'm out of this discussion for now. More rational discussion though. At least Robotnik has valid claims and that should be respected.

androvsky

[Nintex] said:
Do you know how many legal teams are creaming their pants right now? Now that they can get the IP's it'll only take some time untill someone takes the next step and decides to build a case based on that information. In other words, sue everyone who has seen something they weren't supposed to(and that could be anything like a leaked trailer, hacker code, naked celeb vid, how to build a bomb instruction video).

Isn't that pretty much how the RIAA has been working for the last decade?

V_Ben

Banned
Kagari said:
Time to sell my PS3 and PSP even though Sony already got my money a long time ago for them.

Got a chuckle out of me.

This is some pretty crazy stuff though. I'm not on either side... don't wanna go nuts on this dance floor.

Emitan

Negaiido said:
I'm pro Sony on this case. Why would you be against Sony when you don't have anything "illegal" on your PS3?
If Sony loses this case, it would be the end for PS3 this generation and I don't want that.
If Sony wins it could help stopping some of the hackers.
lol

-PXG-

Negaiido said:
Not really, if they win it then they can win everything in the future that involves illegal activities like these.

Okay, they set a precedent. It will just make the process faster. But any hacker with half a brain will know that and remember, when he distributes his shit, to remain anonymous :p

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
-PXG- said:
To prove that people from Northern California visited Geohotz's websites, so that they can hold the trial in the California, instead of New Jersey.

I haven't been following this, but why does Sony want to hold the trial in California and not New Jersey? Will it be easier for them to win there?

EricHasNoPull said:
In related story I am opening an online store that sells tinfoil hats, they come in all sorts of styles and fashionable designs, I will post a link to the online shop for all GAFfers that are interested in this thread.

Oh oh oh memememememememe!!!!!!

Sony is about to take my future children away and assassinate my family because they might see my IP. I need one because I can't quite afford counsel armed with an anti-corporation rocket launcher.

soldat7

Negaiido said:
I'm pro Sony on this case. Why would you be against Sony when you don't have anything "illegal" on your PS3?
If Sony loses this case, it would be the end for PS3 this generation and I don't want that.

Privacy be damned!

LiquidMetal14

[Nintex] said:
Just when I thought I was out, you pulled me back in (hoooooo-haah!).

I don't think they will sue everyone. Again, maybe this is something the courts will look at and then advise Sony. Either way they were granted this based on something solid so let's see what comes of it.

I'm out now, good conversation ladies/gentlemen :)

Negaiido

Billychu said:

Okay, a bit harsh but you get my point :p.
If geohot wins then it means he can continue programming/distributing things and everyone can legally use the CFW.(and get illegal copies)

soldat7 said:
Privacy be damned!

Not really, only the hacker's privacy will be damned. They chose their fate when they started to hack. :p

Negaiido said:

oePry.gif

This whole post.

LiquidMetal14 said:
kains.jpg

:p

I'm out of this discussion for now. More rational discussion though. At least Robotnik has valid claims and that should be respected.

Thank you. I'll say again that like in the other threads on this, I respect any post that presents an argument, if it agrees or disagrees with me. I dislike the F-Sony posts nearly as much as the Go Sony posts.

RurouniZel

RurouniZel said:
I haven't been following this, but why does Sony want to hold the trial in California and not New Jersey? Will it be easier for them to win there?

Anyone?

-PXG-

RurouniZel said:

Well this case isn't going to be resolved in one session. Or maybe it will. To fly a bunch of lawyers out to Jersey would take too much time and money. So why not put Geohot in a deeper crunch and tactical disadvantage by making him go all the way to California instead? Think of it as home field advantage like in sports.

Now this is me guessing here, but California may also have it's own laws, regarding copyright and copyright infringement as well. So having the trial take place there, would benefit them.

[Nintex]

It's not this case that'll lose Sony the generation, it's the other one that caused their PS3 supply to be locked away for at least 10 days in Europe. If LG actually manages to ban the PS3 from the market it'll be chaos here.

RurouniZel

-PXG- said:
Well this case isn't going to be resolved in one session. Or maybe it will. To fly a bunch of lawyers out to Jersey would take too much time and money. So why not put Geohot in a deeper crunch and tactical disadvantage by making him go all the way to California instead? Think of it as home field advantage like in sports.

Now this is me guessing here, but California may also have it's own laws, regarding copyright and copyright infringement as well. So having the trial take place there, would benefit them.

Thanks, that makes sense.

itsgreen

I kind of think it's funny that the distribution of the code will be part of a trial.

Since Sony themselfs (by error) distributed that code... you sunk your own battleship. Should be fun as a lawyer defending your client knowing Sony also distributed that code...

Negaiido said:
Okay, a bit harsh but you get my point :p.
If geohot wins then it means he can continue programming/distributing things and everyone can legally use the CFW.(and get illegal copies)

Just like it was the end of the Wii the second it was hacked?

[Nintex] said:
It's not this case that'll lose Sony the generation, it's the other one that caused their PS3 supply to be locked away for at least 10 days in Europe. If LG actually manages to ban the PS3 from the market it'll be chaos here.

Yeah, Sony has bigger fish to fry with LG.

Haunted

Negaiido said:
Exactly.

Just don't think about hacking your PS3s, or think about visiting a website on the internet that may have some info about hacking your PS3, or think about watching a video related to the topic on Youtube and the thought police has no reason to go after you. I for one, love Sony for doing an excellent job here, suing and threatening people to prevent any possible crimes from happening. All hail BB.

Foffy

Banned
Negaiido said:

So, the only results are extremes on both ends? Both of which will never happen. Sony isn't going to be destroyed for PS3 hacks, and they're certainly going to be unable to stop hacking for the system. The only thing at real risk here is the rights of the system, but I never cared anywhere. I'm going to do what I chose to the devices I buy, regardless if a big mommy company assumes I'm "renting" some physical object that doesn't have a renting fee attached.

Trevelyon

phosphor112 said:
Has anyone actually READ THE LINK!?

Seriously, people fucking blow things way out of proportion. Look at the terms that have been changed to, they are completely reasonable. Calm yourselves.

6sby3a0.gif

What kind of Geohot thread would this be without the henny-penny doomsayers, c'mon now.

MMaRsu

Banned
Negaiido said:

what's up with writing 'illegal'

?

And then going on about people being anti sony...

oePry.gif

Haunted

Foffy said:
So, the only results are extremes on both ends? Both of which will never happen. Sony isn't going to be destroyed for PS3 hacks, and they're certainly going to be unable to stop hacking for the system. The only thing at real risk here is the rights of the system, but I never cared anywhere. I'm going to do what I chose to the devices I buy, regardless if a big mommy company assumes I'm "renting" some physical object that doesn't have a renting fee attached.
See you in court, bitch.

Negaiido said:
Should get myself an avatar with a smart person :lol
Yeah, that would definitely prevent any more avatar quoting.

Garjon

[Nintex] said:
Crap I forgot about that. I'd have thought that case would have given Sony's lawyers enough opportunities to justify their fees.

I'll admit my initial response was kneejerk, though it doesn't change my opinion that the magistrate's decision is a bit murky if only because it represents a broad breach of privacy without, it would seem, justifiable cause. Like someone said, why does the court require so much private information. Either way, I have no doubt that Sony will be the victors here now.

itxaka

Defeatist
Just when I thought I was out, you pulled me back in (hoooooo-haah!).

I don't think they will sue everyone. Again, maybe this is something the courts will look at and then advise Sony. Either way they were granted this based on something solid so let's see what comes of it.

I'm out now, good conversation ladies/gentlemen :)

they should, if only for the huge backlash they will receive. But I think they have reach their PR stupidity meter with this matter and will stop at this.

phosphor112 said:
Has anyone actually READ THE LINK!?

Seriously, people fucking blow things way out of proportion. Look at the terms that have been changed to, they are completely reasonable. Calm yourselves.

Yes!

What do you think Sony will do if they find the majority of downloads took place in New Jersey?

obonicus

Haunted said:
Just don't think about hacking your PS3s, or think about visiting a website on the internet that may have some info about hacking your PS3, or think about watching a video related to the topic on Youtube and the thought police has no reason to go after you.

Who have the thought police come after? There's wisdom in fearing a bad precedent being set, but that requires the precedent actually be set, not chicken-littling.

Foffy

Banned
Haunted said:
See you in court, bitch.

Since when is using my PS3 as a cup coaster or a case for holding bananas was illegal?! Only because that's what Sony doesn't want? ;___;

obonicus

ukresistance said:
What do you think Sony will do if they find the majority of downloads took place in New Jersey?

What Sony will do? Continue to insist the lawsuit be tried in California. The judge might decide against them without the evidence, though.

-PXG-

@ Negaiido

Yeah, once the 360 and the Wii got hacked, they totally went down under. No more games exist, no one buys anything and there is no money to be made. Sony and the PS3 will be fine.

If people just read the goddamn OP, regardless of what side they're on, they wouldn't be freaking the fuck out.

Zeal

Banned
This just reaffirms my belief that Sony is padding the pockets of certain individuals in the courts.

No sane judge would pass such an unconstitutional violation of privacy. Total BS all around.

Key2001

Garjon said:
Crap I forgot about that. I'd have thought that case would have given Sony's lawyers enough opportunities to justify their fees.

I'll admit my initial response was kneejerk, though it doesn't change my opinion that the magistrate's decision is a bit murky if only because it represents a broad breach of privacy without, it would seem, justifiable cause. Like someone said, why does the court require so much private information. Either way, I have no doubt that Sony will be the victors here now.

Here is what is being asked for and why.

Bluehost
This subpoena to Bluehost, the content server for Mr. Hotz’s website at <www.******.com>, seeks the identity of those who have downloaded the circumvention devices from Mr. Hotz’s website.
SCEA needs to determine how rampant the access to and use of these circumvention devices has been in California in order to rebut Mr. Hotz’s suggestion that his illicit conduct was not aimed at the forum state.

Twitter
This subpoena seeks “Tweets” published by Mr. Hotz, many of which SCEA believes relate directly to his hacking of the PS3 System.
Court has jurisdiction over Mr. Hotz. SCEA seeks to determine whether Mr. Hotz was directing any of his Tweets regarding his hacking of the PS3 System at persons residing in California, and to what extent Mr. Hotz used Twitter to discuss the hacking efforts targeted in this lawsuit.

Geohotz Blogspot
This subpoena seeks to discover information relating to a specific Blogspot account that is owned by Mr. Hotz, <www.**********.blogspot.com>, and information regarding persons who also posted content to that website in the form of blog comments.
SCEA seeks to determine whether Mr. Hotz discussed his hacking of the PS3 System with persons in California through his blog.

YouTube
This subpoena seeks to discover information regarding all persons who currently have access to a “private video” uploaded by Mr. Hotz demonstrating his use of the circumvention devices on the PS3 System, and those who posted comments in response to the video.
SCEA must be able to discover what persons, if any, are still able to access the “private” video after the TRO went into effect in order to ascertain whether Mr. Hotz continues to share this “private” video regarding his hacking of the PS3 System with persons in California and determine whether Mr. Hotz has violated the TRO and Preliminary Injunction.

-PXG-

Foffy said:
Since when is using my PS3 as a cup coaster or a case for holding bananas was illegal?! Only because that's what Sony doesn't want? ;___;

Guess you didn't see the no bananas clause in the TOS. Hope you got good lawyers son.

MMaRsu

Banned
-PXG- said:
@ Negaiido

Yeah, once the 360 and the Wii got hacked, they totally went down under. No more games exist, no one buys anything and there is no money to be made. Sony and the PS3 will be fine.

If people just read the goddamn OP, regardless of what side they're on, they wouldn't be freaking the fuck out.

Exactly, same goes for the DS which is easily hackable or whatever..

-PXG- said:
Guess you didn't see the no bananas clause in the TOS. Hope you got good lawyers son.

hehe

-PXG-

Zeal said:
This just reaffirms my belief that Sony is padding the pockets of certain individuals in the courts.

No sane judge would pass such an unconstitutional violation of privacy. Total BS all around.

FOIA is a bitch.

Negaiido

-PXG- said:
@ Negaiido

Well Sony isn't that successfull as MS and Nintendo and PSN is free. I don't see Sony banning people from PSN but we'll never know about that. I can see Sony have a harder time getting profit with hacked consoles then MS and Nintendo.

but I'm going to stop going on with this discussion because my avatar quoting is really starting to be for a good reason.

Top Bottom