• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man charged with murder after tricking girlfriend into taking abortion drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why this is so controversial. The woman's body was creating what would eventually have been a human, and she had planned on that happening. Knowing this, he wilfully terminated the pregnancy and so in her eyes it was murder.

Because a fetus at that age normally isn't given the same rights as a human which is why abortion is legal. Does the fact that she planned on keeping it change how a fetus at that age is viewed by the law?

If the woman had chose to terminate the pregnancy there would have been no problem because we don't view a fetus of that age as a human being. If that's the case how can you charge him with murder for killing the baby?

The guy should be charged with intention to harm the woman or reckless endangerment or something else. I have no problem with him going to jail for a long time but murder isn't the correct charge imo. Hopefully this isn't used as any sort of precedent in the future against abortion.

From a personal perspective I don’t agree with the idea that this is murder, don’t get me wrong im not saying he shouldn’t be punished just that he didn’t kill a living, self aware being etc.

Instead the charges should have been something like – Body mutilation and endangering someone’s life because who knows if the woman’s body could have reacted to the medication etc. Of course the punishment should have been severe as what he did was a terrible thing to do but I just don’t agree with the murder charge.

After thinking about this some more I don't agree that this should be called "murder" because it muddies the personhood and fetal rights arguments. I feel the punishment is adequate though so having it be murder in the current law works out in that regard but if I were to rewrite the laws I would probably put it in its own category of "willful destruction of a fetus" or something with exceptions for abortion procedures desired by the mother.

Cat Party

Again, you guys are over analyzing this. A fetus is worthy of protection from unwanted termination regardless of the harm or lack of harm to the mother. It is really disappointing to see pro-choicers devalue the worth of a fetus in order to justify themselves. It is not necessary and it looks really bad from my perspective. And it is downright offensive to the women and men who have suffered through miscarriages.

It is not lost on me that the definition of life (and the consequences for killing a fetus) in this thread is being debated by almost exclusively men.

someday

Banned
Again, you guys are over analyzing this. A fetus is worthy of protection from unwanted termination regardless of the harm or lack of harm to the mother. It is really disappointing to see pro-choicers devalue the worth of a fetus in order to justify themselves. It is not necessary and it looks really bad from my perspective. And it is downright offensive to the women and men who have suffered through miscarriages.

It is not lost on me that the definition of life (and the consequences for killing a fetus) in this thread is being debated by almost exclusively men.

I sort of agree with this. I'm 100% pro-choice (I'm also a woman) so it's less about the fetus/embryo/baby and all about my right to absolute control over my body. When my friends have worked to get pregnant, the moment they find out they are, that little group of cells is immediately their "baby" and I see it the same way.

I also have a friend who is pro-life and when she miscarried it was devastating. Her doctor didn't perform a D&C though and a month later, her "baby" came out during sex. When she told me about it, she didn't refer to it as her baby anymore though. It was that "alien looking thing."

I sort of agree with this. I'm 100% pro-choice (I'm also a woman) so it's less about the fetus/embryo/baby and all about my right to absolute control over my body. When my friends have worked to get pregnant, the moment they find out they are, that little group of cells is immediately their "baby" and I see it the same way.

I also have a friend who is pro-life and when she miscarried it was devastating. Her doctor didn't perform a D&C though and a month later, her "baby" came out during sex. When she told me about it, she didn't refer to it as her baby anymore though. It was that "alien looking thing."

Ugh, that sent shudders down my spine.

I can see both arguments, bodily autonomy and reduced fetal value, but I think the former runs into problems when it comes to late-term abortions (unless one accepts them with no limits).

Kettch

My issue with the murder charge is more of a technicality. I see no problem with charges equivalent to something like rape in this case.

First, most pro-lifers simply want the right to not be killed extended to the fetus. That is a right that living humans have.
And no living human born has the rights the unborn would have if abortion was banned. That was the point of Roe, and why abortion is the minimum force until artificial incubation chambers (or something) are a reality. Fetal homicide laws don't actually change anything with Roe and abortion. Kind of like 1st degree murder versus self defense.

Additionally, most pro-lifers (including myself) also would allow abortion in cases of rape, allowing the fetus to be killed when it's done nothing to warrant it, so this right to life is actually far less comprehensive than the one given to humans outside the womb.
Personally this I find a highly incongruous dichotomy of the sanctity of life pro-lifers proclaim yet allow abortion ("it's murder"). Basically the circumstances of conception trump this so called "right to life".

And no, I don't believe "most pro-lifers" believe this. In fact I'd say most pro-lifers are against abortion from rape, at least those that stand by their "it's murder" mantra.

In short, by saying that the fetus's right to life (whether you phrase that as "human life," "personhood," or whatever) was not central to their analysis, you're showing you're clearly misunderstanding the cases. It certainly was central. They performed a balancing test, with the woman's right to abort on one side, and the fetus's right to life on the other, and in the beginning of the pregnancy, they decided they thought it fell in favor of the woman, while at the end it fell in favor of the fetus enough that the state could protect the fetus.
Err no, the zygote/embryo or fetus never had a "right to life". No one had or has (at the expense of someone else - which is what Roe was about). Abortion wasn't murder in the U.S. even when it was illegal.

Roe granting fetal viability as the point at which states can choose to restrict elective abortions does not prove a "right to life" considering it is not only at death's door that a woman can have a late abortion. There are many situations where her health may not be in jeopardy if she carried to term, but she can still get an abortion (fetal defects).

PogiJones

Banned
And no living human born has the rights the unborn would have if abortion was banned. That was the point of Roe, and why abortion is the minimum force until artificial incubation chambers (or something) are a reality. Fetal homicide laws don't actually change anything with Roe and abortion. Kind of like 1st degree murder versus self defense.
You keep beating this drum without saying what right we would grant that is not granted the born. The right to only be killed to save someone else? Everyone has that right. The right to have someone feed and nourish you, even if their body is the only means of doing so? We give that right to infants, and indeed, all children. What right exactly would be granted that is above what we give the born?
Personally this I find a highly incongruous dichotomy of the sanctity of life pro-lifers proclaim yet allow abortion ("it's murder"). Basically the circumstances of conception trump this so called "right to life".
The emotional burden on the mother, the absence of risk assumption, and the psychological toll a rape reminder would be all contribute to the equation. And yes, in certain circumstances the right to life is trumped, just like every single right. No right is absolute.
And no, I don't believe "most pro-lifers" believe this. In fact I'd say most pro-lifers are against abortion from rape, at least those that stand by their "it's murder" mantra.
Your belief is quite simply wrong.
Err no, the zygote/embryo or fetus never had a "right to life". No one had or has (at the expense of someone else - which is what Roe was about). Abortion wasn't murder in the U.S. even when it was illegal.

Roe granting fetal viability as the point at which states can choose to restrict elective abortions does not prove a "right to life" considering it is not only at death's door that a woman can have a late abortion. There are many situations where her health may not be in jeopardy if she carried to term, but she can still get an abortion (fetal defects).
You're trying to covertly slip into a different contention, that a right to life was not granted in Roe, which is correct (although a "state interest" (read: right) in protecting "prenatal life" (read:life) was used in the balancing test, as I mentioned). But your original contention, which you repeated oft, was simply wrong:

1. Roe V Wade makes no ruling regarding the "human status" of the embryo.

2. Just like add that even though some may argue against your point, "human and alive" isn't what Roe v Wade is about so I don't see it being overturned using any of those points.

3. Roe has nothing to do with the "human status" of the unborn.
1. Roe does make a ruling on the "human status" (read:personhood): Roe claims it's not a person, and if it were, its right to life would certainly be protected. 2. Roe could be overturned on the arguments that it's "human and alive" (read:a person). 3. And as is already obvious, Roe does have a whole bunch to do with the "human status" (read:personhood) of the unborn. From Roe:

Although the results are divided, most of these courts have agreed that the right of privacy, however based, is broad enough to cover the abortion decision; that the right, nonetheless, is not absolute, and is subject to some limitations; and that, at some point, the state interests as to protection of health, medical standards, and prenatal life, become dominant. We agree with this approach.

A. The appellee and certain amici argue that the fetus is a "person" within the language and meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment. In support of this, they outline at length and in detail the well known facts of fetal development. If this suggestion of personhood is established, the appellant's case, of course, collapses, [p157] for the fetus' right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the Amendment. The appellant conceded as much on reargument. [n51] On the other hand, the appellee conceded on reargument [n52] that no case could be cited that holds that a fetus is a person within the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment.

[Further discussion of personhood under the 14th Amendment, which the Court decides does not include prenatal life: "All this, together with our observation, supra, that, throughout the major portion of the 19th century, prevailing legal abortion practices were far freer than they are today, persuades us that the word 'person,' as used in the Fourteenth Amendment, does not include the unborn."]

This conclusion, however, does not of itself fully answer the contentions raised by Texas, and we pass on to other considerations.

B. The pregnant woman cannot be isolated in her privacy. She carries an embryo and, later, a fetus, if one accepts the medical definitions of the developing young in the human uterus. ... As we have intimated above, it is reasonable and appropriate for a State to decide that, at some point in time another interest, that of health of the mother or that of potential human life, becomes significantly involved. The woman's privacy is no longer sole and any right of privacy she possesses must be measured accordingly [Read: balancing test].

...We repeat, however, that the State does have an important and legitimate interest in preserving and protecting the health of the pregnant woman, whether she be a resident of the State or a nonresident who seeks medical consultation and treatment there, and that it has still another important and legitimate interest in protecting the potentiality of human life. These interests are separate and distinct. Each grows in substantiality as the woman approaches term and, at a point during pregnancy, each becomes "compelling."

In short, 1. the unborn's personhood (or lack thereof) was very central to the decision, 2. the decision could very well be overturned on arguments that the unborn do have personhood, and 3. even after claiming the unborn are not persons, the Court acknowledged a "potentiality of human life" which grows, against which the woman's right to privacy must be balanced.

I mean, I think Roe was a bad decision, and I certainly don't mistake what's in Roe as being representative of what should be. But if you're going to make claims about what's in Roe, they should at least be accurate.

Now I consider it a serious crime (as I am generally against abortion), however, how can one be charged with murder when if the mother did it, it would not be murder? Note that I am saying murder here, since obviously he needs to be charged with at least something for faking the pills.

It really shouldn't be charged as murder. Battery? Maybe.

The right to have someone feed and nourish you, even if their body is the only means of doing so? We give that right to infants, and indeed, all children. What right exactly would be granted that is above what we give the born?
Nobody has rights over somebody else body even if that is their only way to survive. I don't know any case of forced blood donations being legal (may be it's legal on some cases but I don't know any).

Odrion

Banned

I don't think anyone is saying that the man should be let off with no charges, just not charged with murder (because aborting a fetus isn't murder.)

PogiJones

Banned
Nobody has rights over somebody else body even if that is their only way to survive. I don't know any case of forced blood donations being legal (may be it's legal on some cases but I don't know any).

This is, again, simply not true, and I gave an example of such in the very point you quoted. An infant has a right to be well nourished by its legal guardian, even if that requires breastfeeding. If alternatives to breastfeeding are available, great, but never does the infant's right to be nourished disappear, even in the unavailability of formula. Switching guardians also does not get rid of the right, it merely transfers it. From the infant's perspective, someone is always legally obligated to keep it well nourished.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
next of kin basically gets to decide when/if to remove a family member from life support at the end of life; whether the person lives or dies is entirely dependent on that family decision

should a person who sneaks into the hospital room and caps the terminally ill person in the head against family/patient wishes be charged with murder?

Juat curious, what was the person's motive besides not wanting to be a dad? Couldn't he simply walk away from the relationship and let her give birth or would he be forced to pay child support?

This is, again, simply not true, and I gave an example of such in the very point you quoted. An infant has a right to be well nourished by its legal guardian, even if that requires breastfeeding. If alternatives to breastfeeding are available, great, but never does the infant's right to be nourished disappear, even in the unavailability of formula. Switching guardians also does not get rid of the right, it merely transfers it. From the infant's perspective, someone is always legally obligated to keep it well nourished.
If the legal guardian is the state does the state has the right to force anyone to provide breastfeeding if they don't want?

FoxSpirit

Juat curious, what was the person's motive besides not wanting to be a dad? Couldn't he simply walk away from the relationship and let her give birth or would he be forced to pay child support?
You are forced to pay child support, no matter if you were against the pregnancy or not.
In my country there even is a term for women hooking up with guys only to manipulate the contraceptive and getting pregnant. As a guy you have 0 chances in that.

Knowing such a case in my own family... errrr, I know it's a crime to slip someone unwanted medicine. But it's also truly scummy to slip you some unwanted fatherhood. I won't even start an argument about this online.

PogiJones

Banned
If the legal guardian is the state does the state has the right to force anyone to provide breastfeeding if they don't want?

I don't know the details of state guardianship, but the state is required to use resources available to it to nurture the infant. If breastfeeding is not a resource available to it (e.g. no state employee (each of whom is not individually a legal guardian) is able and willing to breastfeed the infant), then the state would not be penalized for failing to provide a resource it doesn't have. But if the state were able to provide it (e.g. the state employed workers who were willing and able (both legally and physically) to nurse it), and yet the state refused, the state would be liable.

But your question is mostly an attempt to obfuscate the comparison, which rebuts your contention that no one has a right over someone else's body. The more apt question: Is a mother and legal guardian with no access to formula who can reasonably breastfeed her infant obligated to do so? Answer: Yes. Therefore, your absolute assertion is false.

I don't know the details of state guardianship, but the state is required to use resources available to it to nurture the infant. If breastfeeding is not a resource available to it (e.g. no state employee (each of whom is not individually a legal guardian) is able and willing to breastfeed the infant), then the state would not be penalized for failing to provide a resource it doesn't have. But if the state were able to provide it (e.g. the state employed workers who were willing and able (both legally and physically) to nurse it), and yet the state refused, the state would be liable.

But your question is mostly an attempt to obfuscate the comparison, which rebuts your contention that no one has a right over someone else's body. The more apt question: Is a mother and legal guardian with no access to formula who can reasonably breastfeed her infant obligated to do so? Answer: Yes. Therefore, your absolute assertion is false.
My point is that the state cannot force anyone to donate their body. Regarding your point about the obligations of legal guardians, under what circumstances mothers cannot waive their legal guardian status? I though that in general to give children for adoption is legal.

Soodanim

You are forced to pay child support, no matter if you were against the pregnancy or not.
In my country there even is a term for women hooking up with guys only to manipulate the contraceptive and getting pregnant. As a guy you have 0 chances in that.

Knowing such a case in my own family... errrr, I know it's a crime to slip someone unwanted medicine. But it's also truly scummy to slip you some unwanted fatherhood. I won't even start an argument about this online.
It's awful that such a thing is possible. I'm going to avoid quoting some Chris Rock standup, but yeah, is it easy to get out of paying it if you do it properly?

If a girl got pregnant (condom split, pill failed, that sort of thing), and the girl said she wanted to keep it but the guy didn't want any part of it, could he get a lawyer and do something about it? Or is the guy still fucked, despite taking action early?

Odrion

Banned
next of kin basically gets to decide when/if to remove a family member from life support at the end of life; whether the person lives or dies is entirely dependent on that family decision

should a person who sneaks into the hospital room and caps the terminally ill person in the head against family/patient wishes be charged with murder?
An embryo isn't a terminally ill human. Or a human for that matter.

PogiJones

Banned
My point is that the state cannot force anyone to donate their body. Regarding your point about the obligations of legal guardians, under what circumstances mothers cannot waive their legal guardian status? I though that in general to give children for adoption is legal.

The state can't force a non-guardian of the infant to nurse the infant; but as I've said three times now, it can and does require guardians to do so, if the guardian has no access to formula and is reasonably able to nurse.

And giving the child up for adoption is not waiving that child's rights, it's merely transferring the responsibility to fulfill them over to someone else who is willing to take them (the parent cannot give away the responsibility to an unwilling party). So the infant has a right to A's body, and then if B willingly accepts A's responsibilities, infant then has a right to B's body. The infant's rights to be nourished never disappear.

FoxSpirit

It's awful that such a thing is possible. I'm going to avoid quoting some Chris Rock standup, but yeah, is it easy to get out of paying it if you do it properly?

If a girl got pregnant (condom split, pill failed, that sort of thing), and the girl said she wanted to keep it but the guy didn't want any part of it, could he get a lawyer and do something about it? Or is the guy still fucked, despite taking action early?
The Austrian law is very specific about "parents". It does not matter what further relationship exists between the two of you. You are the father, you pay.
If it was malevolent, you could probably sue for damages but that's about it. Your child, you pay child support for 25 years.

... researching this has led me to some really lowbrow internet discussion between women who basically went, "He had his fun, now he can pay up." Lovely :-\

This is the exact reason why I stayed away from casual sex. I don't trust strangers enough on this.

ramuh

Nasty trick and he should spend a lot of time in prison for it. The best solution would be that women do have the right to keep or not keep their child. And a man or a partner has the right to not support the child during it's growth if he submits a legal document attesting that before birth. Simple solution. Women has the Maternal rights to either be moms or not and fathers have their paternal rights to choose or not choose to support any child.

Nasty trick and he should spend a lot of time in prison for it. The best solution would be that women do have the right to keep or not keep their child. And a man or a partner has the right to not support the child during it's growth if he submits a legal document attesting that before birth. Simple solution. Women has the Maternal rights to either be moms or not and fathers have their paternal rights to choose or not choose to support any child.

That would lead to too many unsupported children. I think the best responsibility is for men to understand that they ultimately have no say in whether or not a woman carries and pregnancy to term, and act accordingly. Don't bust nuts in women unless you are prepared to support a child.

That would lead to too many unsupported children. I think the best responsibility is for men to understand that they ultimately have no say in whether or not a woman carries and pregnancy to term, and act accordingly. Don't bust nuts in women unless you are prepared to support a child.

Pretty much.
Yes, it will mean that some innocent men will end up stuck with child payments, but it's the price we men have to pay for our painless procreative ability.

In the future, with male versions of contraceptive pills, this won't even be an issue.

ramuh

Lol. Your right brah. It just sucks at the no control a man really has over the whole thing. People should take your advice and as a man be very very careful in their endeavors. It is also frustrating to see that even after a child is born, the court system is precluded to almost always pick the mother side of things and not the fathers. Fathers can be marginalized and used. I come from divorced parents at 8 and the child court system is crazy.

daw840

Just to play a bit of devils advocate here, why doesn't this same logic apply to women? Just don't get pregnant and you won't have to worry about having an abortion?

Just to play a bit of devils advocate here, why doesn't this same logic apply to women? Just don't get pregnant and you won't have to worry about having an abortion?

It does apply to women. Women have to be responsible about who they have sex with and who they have children with. But each side has to carry their own burden. For men, that is understanding that if you get a woman pregnant you will have zero say in what she decides to do with the baby. It's never going to be an equal, 50/50 split of responsibility or 1:1 comparison.

As much as I'd like to disagree, it is murder. Born or Unborn...

He did it with the INTENTION to prevent the child to be born.... It's black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom