• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
One Piece

I don't think Luffy is literally mentally challenged.

He just has some disease where he always acts before thinking on impulse according to his heart to do the right thing. When people explain stuff to him, he usually understands and can hold conversations with people. He's not a college english lit grad, but he seems at least average teenager intelligence.

Me too, the first four times someone went with that. You know, like during Ignis Fatuus v. Freshmaker five years ago.

It's all about the mood , so joke was funnier this time for me .

One Piece

I don't think Luffy is literally mentally challenged.

He just has some disease where he always acts before thinking on impulse according to his heart to do the right thing. When people explain stuff to him, he usually understands and can hold conversations with people. He's not a college english lit grad, but he seems at least average teenager intelligence.

Well Luffy does shows common sense and comes up with plans but he acts like child with no regard for his action most of the time.
Some people do act that way but they have to pay for there actions most of the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What they were fighting about?

And where's Ignis? It seemed like he's been missing or something.
Ignis steadfastly believes (and believed) that Bleach is the fucking worst shit in the universe.

As for why he left; he literally left because you guys wouldn't stop taking DTL seriously.

Indeed.

i guess they had a quota to fill lol
You must have missed the last page of this thread.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What they were fighting about?

And where's Ignis? It seemed like he's been missing or something.
Sparknotes version:

He insisted that Bleach was incoherent and that none of it made sense because it sucked.

I said Bleach did have some internal logic to how things progress.

He responded with, "STFU fanboy".

Things progressed from there.

PK Gaming

Saying, "Orihime did not receive proper character development in Hueco Mundo." is, in no way whatsoever, an opinion. Saying, "Orihime is a bad character." is. There is a severe difference and it seems it it you who doesn't understand the distinction.

That is most definitely an opinion. An opinion; a subjective belief and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. How the fuck is that not an opinion. I know I like to pick fights with you, but fuck man this is some stone cold fucking retarded reasoning right here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That is most definitely an opinion. An opinion; a subjective belief and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. How the fuck is that not an opinion. I know I like to pick fights with you, but fuck man this is some stone cold fucking retarded reasoning right here.

He doesn't think it's an opinion because it would make him wrong for it to be an opinion and he likes to back up his arguments by claiming all his opinions are facts.

No, but really, the fine distinction in his mind is that he cannot understand that determining what is "proper" requires subjective judgment. He doesn't understand the problem with arguing that what is good storytelling is not factual. The problem is that it's inherently subjective, particularly considering it's an opinion which is arbitrarily locked into one specific form of narrative structure. If Big One's argument had merit, literally all narrative criticism or derivation from a single narrative process would be pointless.

What? Are you really sure and serious about this? Hahaha.
Yes. Before that it he had gotten into the beta of TOR too, which added to his being gone.

Ignis still post every now and then .
Still no long time member of mangagaf does not know what DTL is about after all this while.
No, he literally wants you to not respond to him.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Still no long time member of mangagaf does not know what DTL is about after all this while.

Man. I am now somewhat interested in learning some GAF Manga-thread history. Answers to questions such as:

- "Who is the longest participant of GAF Manga Thread? The person that's literally there from the beginning and still active until now?"
- "When did DTL first join the Manga Thread?"
- "Has there been any bans directly caused by a post in Manga thread?"

Etc etc. Stuff like that. Maybe also stuff like special characteristics of the more well-known members, their posting habits, their preferences. Seems interesting, hahaha.

Well Ignis was the one who revealed this whole "DTL might or might not be some joke character persona" stuff anyways so seeing others "falling for it" might be annoying to him.

Angry Grimace

Well Ignis was the one who revealed this whole "DTL might or might not be some joke character persona" anyways so seeing others "falling for it" might be annoying to him.

Everyone knew DTL was a joke character from Day 1 unless they were insanely gullible. People just respond to him anyways because he's an easy target.

Well Ignis was the one who revealed this whole "DTL might or might not be some joke character persona" anyways so seeing others "falling for it" might be annoying to him.

Yeah i remember when that happen .

Man. I am now somewhat interested in learning some GAF Manga-thread history. Answers to questions such as:

- "Who is the longest participant of GAF Manga Thread? The person that's literally there from the beginning and still active until now?"

Etc etc. Stuff like that. Maybe also stuff like special characteristics of the more well-known members, their posting habits, their preferences. Seems interesting, hahaha.

Well before on Gaf OP , Bleach and Naruto each had there own thread but not many post in each so they made 1 big thread.
Then after a while people just start talking about other series that were not shonen .
There are fair amount of people who still post that were here from the start .
DTL was around from first thread .

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well Ignis was the one who revealed this whole "DTL might or might not be some joke character persona" stuff anyways so seeing others "falling for it" might be annoying to him.

Even without such "revelation" it should be pretty obvious, isn't it?

I mean, unless I am missing something here.

Well, at least he's pretty much harmless and not trying to shove down his opinions towards other people's throats.

Everyone knew DTL was a joke character from Day 1 unless they were insanely gullible. People just respond to him anyways because he's an easy target.

Not sure about day 1 but its likely i just didn't give a fuck. The time it really came up was when he started that "lol lol lol lol" bullshit. If you have posts from before that then it would be interesting to see.

Even without such "revelation" it should be pretty obvious, isn't it?

I mean, unless I am missing something here.

Well, at least he's pretty much harmless and not trying to shove down his opinions towards other people's throats.

He didn't seem as blatant imo (though as said before, maybe he was but i might have not given a shit)

Angry Grimace

OT1 is like four times longer than 2 and 3 because they hadn't started the indexing policy of 20,000 max post threads then.

DTL was around in OT1 - Ignis was too, but he was a lot angrier then and we used to argue a lot, as did Ignis and Freshmaker over a year or so. The reaction you give me when Big One talks and I tell him he's an senseless fool is essentially identical to how the thread dealt with those arguments then then, although Ignis never said anything like "proper character development is not an opinion." Ignis just hated Bleach, and I assume he still does.

There used to be separate spoiler-tagged threads for each series but this was before I got account approval (which took like 2 weeks at the time) and it got changed because it ended up clogging the OT page. It's better this way because you never read anything new if you have just the Naruto thread; you'd just read Naruto and that's it. I have something like 2,000 more posts than anyone else in the combined thread totals just by longevity. Well I guess I posted a lot too, I had 2850 or something in the first thread, but I started reading less when I went to law school.

dumbyugi

Random question.

For the Yuru Yuri manga, is there a translation out past chapter 22?

Sadly no. I think I read somewhere recently that a group was planning on picking it up but I've forgotten who. You could always read Yuri Yuri by the same author, it's a collection of stories set at the same school as Yuru Yuri.

neoanarch

Speaking of past threads. Anyone have a link to the very first weekly jump thread? I hope it wasn't purged for being too huge and too old.

upandaway

Poor Harisugawa. Won't even reach chapter 30 :(

I doubt they'll get rid of 3 so that means this and ST&RS are done now

Toriko

Lots of fish in Toriko lately. I want some other seafood too! Clams would be pretty badass.

In any case this is like the first full-blown ingredient arc whose only purpose is to get to another ingredient. We're getting pretty fancy here.

neoanarch

Beelzebub

Just like that its back to normal. Great gag chapter. But a good way to show how much Oga has changed since the manga began,

Gintama

Another story focused on the Yoshiwara? I don't know how to feel about that. The Shogun is one character that hasn't had a serious arc though. This could be good.

Articalys

Beelzebub 142

Dabuhsing lol. Yolda trolling Aoi into going nuclear was pretty good too.
Wonder what they'll do for the next major story arc.

e: wow, so Harisugawa really is ending next week, huh. Oh well, apparently even the mangaka realized how restrictive the plot was. I actually started to briefly enjoy it when things started moving in a logical fashion, so I can at least honestly wish him the best of luck on his next project.

The problem with Oda's is that twist he put on it, it even looks like its smiling. Like most of the creatures he draws, they just have that weird twist that ruins any cool impact they could have. I was under the impression that he took inspiration from Toriyama, if so then his should have come out like it.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvk046Jihx1r6zpl3o1_500.gif[img]

Now that and Mashima's dragons are how you draw them. Powerful looking, cool, and epic. Not some comical smiling dragon.

It wouldnt have fit because of the lack of the Oda twist, but it would have been a nice change of pace for creature design.

I didnt expect the scar to remain on Luffy forever. Im just not a fan of that decision. He would honestly look cooler without it.[/QUOTE]This fucking post. I just never know if he's serious or just very good at trolling.

I hope that the dragons in Fairy Tail are silly as fuck just to see your reaction.

upandaway

What the fuck? Source???
I saw the twitter rumor and then googled around and saw some pics/tocs on mangahelpers (here) and some Jap sites
Nothing to satisfy you at the level of complete raws but it should be true

It's really more Kano's comments about how he regrets the mirror than the recent happenings that made me think it's true. He's done with that gimmick

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

i was once banned for arguing that bleach was too DEEP for most of GAF to understand.

Articalys

I saw the twitter rumor and then googled around and saw some pics/tocs on mangahelpers (here) and some Jap sites

It's really more Kano's comments about how he regrets the mirror than the recent happenings that made me think it's true. He's done with that gimmick
Yeah, like I said above, it was a decent premise but one that in no way was going to be able to sustain itself beyond two volumes worth or so.

Averon

Makes sense. I was always wary about the mirror gimmick. It's something that's good for a single story arc, not for a whole manga. It had no long term sustainability.

Shamo 246

Man, this manga was so much better in the beginning stages. Now things feel severely rushed. Also I just found out that it's basically on hold. Great :lol

Naruto

don't show Sasuke being hax and able to keep up... what I want to see is sauce beeing shocked and awed by Six Paths Naruto, make sauce cry like a little bitch after he has gone so far only to end up topped by his rival.

yes, this is exactly what i want to happen as well. it would be perfect. as naruto is now, there should be no fucking way sasuke should be able to keep up. unfortunately plot no jutsu will happen >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom