• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
upandaway said:
I still dunno about the main party growing older.

I mean, they were not heard from for 7 YEARS. I just can't think of them spending that time conscious (if it's ever possible to come back they should be able to accomplish it in less than 7 dang years).

They might have turned into lachryma like before or teleported into the future or something, I dunno. But I don't think they grew older.

I was thinking they were locked in stasis in an alternate dimension (thereby, magic energy leaking into the real world...). It would be awkward for them to not have aged while everyone else in the guild did though.

upandaway

I guess. I mean, I guess. No clue. Could go either way.

This whole timeskip thing really threw me for a loop. I just don't know anymore.

Man. I don't know. I guess they could. Maybe they didn't.

survivor

Banned
So if the main cast grows up, will Wendy have boobs? Cause having all 3 main females with big boobs is very unnatural.

This is why I'm against the whole timeskip growing up stuff. We gotta have our designated loli character.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
survivor said:
So if the main cast grows up, will Wendy have boobs? Cause having all 3 main females with big boobs is very unnatural.

This is why I'm against the whole timeskip growing up stuff. We gotta have our designated loli character.
You don't remember Edolas Wendy?

Shit chapter. It shouldn't have taken 24 pages to show like 5 characters (none of which we care about) and explain Fairy Tail sucks now. That should have been obvious.

The biggest problem is the likelihood that 0 years have passed for Tenrou Island characters, i.e. every single character that matters in the entire guild.

Angry Grimace said:

Shit chapter. It shouldn't have taken 24 pages to show like 5 characters (none of which we care about) and explain Fairy Tail sucks now. That should have been obvious.

The biggest problem is the likelihood that 0 years have passed for Tenrou Island characters, i.e. every single character that matters in the entire guild.

Pretty much.

Had to search the wikia to remember who these people were.

Fairy Tail
This chapter suffered from the fact that I don't give a single bit about these new/old people , I really couldn't care less that Fairy Tail sucks now and finally I don't really care muh for the "sadness" and suspense over characters that I already now are most likely all still alive. I really just want to get on with it, as in see what happened to the people we ,you know, actually care about.

upandaway

Angry Grimace said:

I looked at it the other way around. He jumped to "the main dudes are alive" WAY too soon. It's the first chapter of the skip. I would have made an entire arc building up to that kind of announcement.

Though that's kind of assuming he could make those characters interesting again, and he had the capability to do an arc with them, but still. This could have used a little buildup (even if that's not really new to Fairy Tail).

Something like, Romeo finally learning magic (thus justifying 7 years) that could kickstart a scene which gives hints to the "leaking", and going through some sort of hardship to finally reveal that indeed there was leaking. It will take like 20 chapters to reach where we ended up this chapter, but it'll be better than a random idiot just coming in with his ship and announcing it casually.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
upandaway said:
I looked at it the other way around. He jumped to "the main dudes are alive" WAY too soon. It's the first chapter of the skip. I would have made an entire arc building up to that kind of announcement.

Though that's kind of assuming he could make those characters interesting again, and he had the capability to do an arc with them, but still. This could have used a little buildup (even if that's not really new to Fairy Tail).
The characters on Tenrou are essentially all of the characters of any relevance at all and I sincerely doubt he's going to do a 7 year time skip on all the characters in general. I would not be surprised at all if they end up rewinding time period.

Infinite Justice said:
Pretty much.

Had to search the wikia to remember who these people were.
The only one that was even in more than just a breather chapter was Macao and Romeo from the first arc after Lucy joins the guild.

I just don't think it's likely he's going to make all of the characters age out of the demographic and force you to catch up with shit that happened to them while you weren't looking. Time skips only work when nothing interesting happens during them; otherwise, you have to spend a lot of time explaining shit that happened off panel and it's annoying, i.e. in Naruto; he was training the entire time, and in Bleach, he was training the entire time, and in One Piece, they were all just training without much of consequence happening.

survivor

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
If 7 years has passed what about Ivan then?

is he still scheming in the shadows?
Will his main goal is to destroy Fairy Tail and they are pretty much dead now. So dunno, what else could he be scheming about?

Angry Grimace

Infinite Justice said:
If 7 years has passed what about Ivan then?

is he still scheming in the shadows?
It would be a good way to explain why they (and probably Tartaros, the only other dark guild they bothered to mention) are now super powerful (i.e. more powerful than Grimoire Heart) despite the fact that we were explicitly told GH was the most powerful of the dark guilds.

Fairy Tail

survivor said:
Well his main goal is to destroy Fairy Tail and they are pretty much dead now. So dunno, what else could he be scheming about?

Oh yea i forgot he supposedly made the guild for that entire purpose.

Angry Grimace said:
It would be a good way to explain why they (and probably Tartaros) now super powerful (i.e. more powerful than Grimoire Heart) despite the fact that we were explicitly told GH was the most powerful of the dark guilds.

That could work but as echoed by survivor wasn't the main reason he made the fucking guild was to destroy Fairy Tail? and since FT is basically out of commission then what?

World Domination then?

Angry Grimace

Infinite Justice said:
Oh yea i forgot he supposedly made the guild for that entire purpose.

That could work but as said by survivor wasn't the main reason he made the fucking guild was to destroy Fairy Tail? and since they are basically out of commission then what?

World Domination then?
I thought he just made the guild because he got expelled from FT. If Mashima was making any sense, he would have just made Ivan come in and take over FT and use it's name while they were all "dead," but instead he didn't and just sat around apparently.

Steroyd

Fairy Tail

Wow talk about those moments when you went into a drunken stupor the night before and during the hangover the next day you think to yourself... "Wait, did that really happen?" Yeah I think that describes my feelings towards this chapter quite nicely.

206j5p0.jpg

^^ Cue my expression reading through each and every page, so you can see to my genuine shock when Blue Pegasus guy announced that the island didn't really get destroyed. What the hell am I reading!?

Wiseblade

Rebel Leader said:
We shall see >_>
We know they're still alive, and chances are they haven't aged either. The only changes to the status quo that this is likely to result in are:

1) A new group of dark guilds have emerged during the timeskip, so Mashima can reuse the same plot.

2) A bunch of one-shot characters get a slight redesign and a second chance at the spotlight.

survivor

Banned
Blue Exorcist vol 6

Bah this got way too confusing. So many Japanese names, so many Japanese terms I had a hard time trying to follow the story.

So there was a fire demon that is sealed in the sword? And that fire demon helped the head priest to seal the impure king? I probably need to read some parts again since I still don't know why this snake girl is out there with the bad guys or why she is even trusting this dude.

Also Izumo looks hot in a yukata.

Kaizer

Banned
Seems like I need to catch up on Fairy Tail, I stopped reading not too soon into the exam arc where the anime currently is. Would you guys say it's been a good arc compared to the others?

Kaizer said:
Seems like I need to catch up on Fairy Tail, I stopped reading not too soon into the exam arc where the anime currently is. Would you guys say it's been a good arc compared to the others?

I guess its been a tie with the third best arc (Tower of Heaven/Edolas > Oracian Seis > Galuna).

survivor

Banned
Kaizer said:
It's a regular standard Fairy Tail arc. Hyped up villians, fights ending with asspulls, and Lucy fanservice. It has a different conclusion than the rest of the other arcs so I guess that's good.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Accel World 1-5

This manga is fucking weird.

They are 150 years into the future and nothing looks like it has changed besides there being advanced computer systems that allow virtual reality exploration on a network.

survivor

Banned
Usagi Drop vol 1

I don't know why I'm doing this. I already know what to expect at the end, but I guess I want see the journey to this trainwreck.

So far the art is really terrible compared to the anime. Production IG really did a nice job with the anime that it makes the manga looks like a cheap clone. Rin just isn't moe enough.

Didn't take me that much to read the first volume. It was pretty much the same as the anime so it was a quick read. I'm guessing by volume 4 the story will get to the new stuff?

survivor said:
Usagi Drop vol 1

I don't know why I'm doing this. I already know what to expect at the end, but I guess I want see the journey to this trainwreck.

So far the art is really terrible compared to the anime. Production IG really did a nice job with the anime that it makes the manga looks like a cheap clone. Rin just isn't moe enough.

Didn't take me that much to read the first volume. It was pretty much the same as the anime so it was a quick read. I'm guessing by volume 4 the story will get to the new stuff?

IIRC yes so its best to go from there imo.

Lain

Bought volume 23 of Fairy Tail after dropping it around volume 12 or 13 because it was available as a limited edition that came with a special issue called Weekly Sorcerer.
If there is one thing Mashima does well, is the fanservice, as the opening and closing color pages of Weekly sorcerer attest to. Maybe I'll try to catch up on the old volumes in the future.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kave_Man said:
So what's he saying exactly?

Basically:

"If it means I can be by Medaka-chan, becoming her enemy, becoming evil, becoming a perfect human, becoming the main character, I'll do it!"

Scum

Kagari said:
Basically:

"If it means I can be by Medaka-chan, becoming her enemy, becoming evil, becoming a perfect human, becoming the main character, I'll do it!"
Fuck yeah! So that's Medaka as the villian and Zenkichi as the hero of the manga? :p

Getbackers

All caught up. Infinity Fortress is one of the most convoluted plot devices in the history of manga. What the hell is it? The Matrix? Another dimension? The Primordial Ocean? Just some building with a reality altering computer?

Oh well, hope the finale is good. And we better fuckin see Babylon City, because there aren't many chapters left.

Kreed

Fairy Tail 254:

I'm more convinced that the Fairy Tail gang are not going to age at all/have any increase in power. They are probably frozen in time or something. What's worse is that it doesn't seem like much changed besides everyone's ages in 7 years and Fairy Tail becoming hopeless for no reason (they couldn't get any new members/get stronger in 7 years? Really?). Some advances in magic might have given some hope of Natsu and friends getting a power up that way but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Scum said:
Fuck yeah! So that's Medaka as the villian and Zenkichi as the hero of the manga? :p

Well...

Several pages later:

1172.jpg

"What? Are you trying to leave, Zenkichi?
"Are you simply going to leave after proclaiming war on me?!"

survivor

Banned
Kreed said:
Fairy Tail 254:

I'm more convinced that the Fairy Tail gang are not going to age at all/have any increase in power. They are probably frozen in time or something. What's worse is that it doesn't seem like much changed besides everyone's ages in 7 years and Fairy Tail becoming hopeless for no reason (they couldn't get any new members/get stronger in 7 years? Really?). Some advances in magic might have given some hope of Natsu and friends getting a power up that way but that doesn't seem to be the case either.
This is pretty much what bugs me about the current situation. Maybe I'm forgetting some politics or a previous plot point, but isn't the Fairy Tail guild a pretty famous legendary guild after all their achievements? So unless their accomplishments got hushed down (which I don't remember happening), they should have an easy time recruiting new members that are strong.

Fairy Tail
So FT has become a week as hell and that was the whole chapter expect the end .
I don't care about any of these guys right now , chapter wasted to much time.
What would be funny is if the members that gone did not age .

On side note i happy as hell just read spoilers for the last Shakugan no Shana Novel love the ending .

Shouta

survivor said:
Blue Exorcist vol 6

Bah this got way too confusing. So many Japanese names, so many Japanese terms I had a hard time trying to follow the story.

So there was a fire demon that is sealed in the sword? And that fire demon helped the head priest to seal the impure king? I probably need to read some parts again since I still don't know why this snake girl is out there with the bad guys or why she is even trusting this dude.

Also Izumo looks hot in a yukata.

Oh, you're a bit into Vol 7. They don't really reveal some of that until the beginning of that volume when Suguro Tatsuma reveals it to Rin in a letter.

Scum

Kagari said:
Well...

Several pages later:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/1172.jpg[IMG]

"What? Are you trying to leave, Zenkichi?
"Are you simply going to leave after proclaiming war on me?!"[/QUOTE]
:O

survivor

Banned
Shouta said:
Oh, you're a bit into Vol 7. They don't really reveal some of that until the beginning of that volume when Suguro Tatsuma reveals it to Rin in a letter.
Yeah I just read the letter part again. Things seem to have cleared up regarding the sword. I just got confused at first since the sword was called Koumaken, and then Rin called it Kurarika, but then the fire demon sealed inside it is called Kurara. Bah, too many things for me to comprehend on my first read.

Zettai Karen Children

I wonder if anyone here reads this manga. It's pretty great, with an over-reaching arc that stays pretty consistent. Funny too!

Hunter X Hunter

My guess is Pariston and Ging is conspiring to make the candidacy as fair as possible, rather than having it settled after a few weeks of arguments, and only between the 12 Hunter 'Jyuunishin'. Pariston might be making himself despised so the members of the council stays united in this time of crisis.

Of course, now with the whole goddamned Hunter Association as candidates, I could be very well wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom