• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Laughing Banana said:
Eh, just talk about the chapters, no problem.

I mean, saying "Naruto chapter xxxx is out on www.xxxxx.com" is (now) forbidden, but saying "Naruto chapter xxxx is out" I assume it's ok, right?

Then I don't see the problem.
For a specific thing, Would saying something like "Mangastream has released their translation of Naruto Chapter 558 " be ok, even though you just need to add a .com and you have the full sites URL, and the site has an online reader? Though they only host their own translation on the site.

This is mainly geared at not linking or naming to the big sites that just host hundreds of mangas?

Lain

Didn't Shouta already answer that? He said naming the scanlators is fine, linking to the sites is not.
Shouta said:
I'll make this clear again, DO NOT LINK TO SITES. You can say who released it and even compare works but do not tell folks where to get it in the thread.

upandaway

So basically don't link to anything ever but anything else goes.

Just put it in the OP, maybe in the title, and that's it, right?

Magico

Oh hey things are getting pretty neat now.

Beelzebub 127

And this. Wow. This was the bestest of chapters.

Man I love Beelzebub.

Getbackers vol 30

Nice to know the mystery surrounding Infinity Fortress is finally going to be revealed. That just bugged me at the end of the anime before I knew anime was based off manga and now I'll finally get to see what's up with the place. Also nice to see the Beltline and Babylon City.

Hey guys, I would some Manga recommendations.

I haven't read any Manga series yet (Mainly watch anime).

I don't have any genre preferences, just looking for somewhat short interesting series.

Maybe a general top 5/10 series to read.

Thank you.

Lain

Kimi ga Suki vol 1

Girl with long hair likes a guy in her basketball club who seems to have a fetish for long hair and especially her hair, but she is too shy to confess to him until another guy confesses to her, then she uses that experience as a spurn to get courage and try to confess to the guy she likes.
Seems a pretty standard premise for a shojo story, and the start of the volume was sorta OK as well, but the way things would turn was too predictable that it ended being a matter of when (and it happened quite fast), making the main girl Murakami appear like a really stupid person for the choices she made.
Also the way the volume ends, thanks to both the introduction of another character as well as the choices Murakami made, makes it clear how this is going to progress and end.
I'm debating if I should buy the next 2 volumes or not.

upandaway

bigmit3737 said:

I don't have any genre preferences, just looking for somewhat short interesting series.

Thank you.
Define "short"

Also check out both recommendation threads
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31546370&postcount=33

flawfuls

Looks like someone finally got started on volume 8 of Kuragehime.

s2Yin.png

Good times.

Nocebo

Lain said:
Oh, and did I interpret the panel wrong or does Tojo already possess that symbol Oga has on his hand?
I don't think you can interpret that panel wrongly. It's pretty obvious what it's supposed to be.

Lain

Nocebo said:
I don't think you can interpret that panel wrongly. It's pretty obvious what it's supposed to be.
You're right. There are also the last 2 chapters of volume 3 (which I thought I had read, but I missed and I have no idea how) that make it even more obvious.

Cwarrior

duckroll said:
Shrug, I'm not really trying to be a bad guy here. I guess we'll take things one at a time. I just want to make it clear that linking to illegal websites is not okay. I don't really have a problem with the manga threads at all, and I didn't ban anyone. It just seems that a casual glance on the few pages here made it clear that things have gone beyond what is generally acceptable. Slipping standards! :(

Wait can I still insert image of funny manga page?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
bigmit3737 said:

Thank you.
Yeah, you really need to define short.

If you don't mind reading only select parts of some larger series, the first two parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are really good (The first part is only ok, but you sort of need the backstory, comes out to 114 chapters), and from something I read recently, the first and last part of Yugioh are both really good compared to the rest of the series (Mainly since they feature far less card games)

cosmicblizzard said:
Getbackers vol 30

Nice to know the mystery surrounding Infinity Fortress are finally going to be revealed. That just bugged me at the end of the anime before I knew anime was based off manga and now I'll finally get to see what's up with the place. Also nice to see the Beltline and Babylon City.

Was suppose to start reading this a good while back .
Series is 39 vols so if that's what they up to i going to wait a while before i start .

gunbo13

Angry Grimace said:
Well, he does have a girlfriend, and I probably would have found it pretty odd that a girl would want me to take her virginity in a laundry room in exchange for doing basically nothing.
She's an angel, that's why. Haruto should have just conceded. "Oh yea, I was just teasing about the laundry thing. You're right, I totally wanted sex."

Lain

Uchu Kyodai vol 9

Great continuation (and resolution) to the cliffhanger of volume 8. The concatenation of events made it look as the situation could go in any direction until the end, which is a big plus.
The other chapters in the volume were more relaxed but just as good.

Lain

Moonlight Act vol 9

I'm still puzzled that no one is scanlating this for the English speaking portion of the world.
Anyways, another great volume from Fujita. Volume 8 had Momotaro being moonstruck and chopping the heads of both readers and fairy tales characters off
(he did even cut Miss Theater's head)
all to get his hands on Hachikazuki.
Volume 9 has Gekko thrown in jail after the events at the end of volume 8 as Momotaro and his 3 "beasts" go fight Ideya to get Hachikazuki.
Gekko
kicking the door of the cell down after hearing of Miss Theater beheading was badass. His words to Ideya while fighting with the beasts were badass too. But the best came at the end, after he gets blasted off and hits a wall with all the heads attached on, and he talks to the head of Miss Theater, touching it, which seems to give back some "life" to the head, something that shouldn't be possible according to what Ideya said earlier in the volume, but that is acceptable being that Gekko seems to have some strange powers as has been hinted at all the while in the previous volumes, and as it's laid down in this one as Miss Theater remembers what Gekko's granny told her once, that Gekko wasn't human, that he came from somewhere far away although she didn't know where that was but especially it is shown by the change in Gekko's hairs.
Him kicking Momotaro's ass was simply great.
Shouldn't forget Cinderella and Red Riding Hood coming to help Gekko. Their back and forth while going there was pretty cool. Both feel a great sense of gratitude toward Gekko and want to help him, but both have strong personalities and their reason for liking him are different, so they go from verbally abusing each other to agreeing to abusing each other again. Entertaining to read and to look at.

Shouta

Bah, they really changed a lot of stuff for the Live Action Welcome to the El Palacio! Bunny got changed into a karate girl named Sae, Itsuki is older and bit thicker (though I don't mind!) and they bumped Hinata up to being a high school drop-out. They even changed Mariko's cowgirl gag into something else as well.

All-Rounder Meguru

I've read the first volume (first 8 chapters) and I think I like it. Feels like a decent realistic martial arts manga with some yakuza stuff thrown in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
gunbo13 said:
She's an angel, that's why. Haruto should have just conceded. "Oh yea, I was just teasing about the laundry thing. You're right, I totally wanted sex."
I would have laughed if he did, but it's a rage series, not a comedy series.

gunbo13

Kuragehime (ch 40) -josei, cross-dressing, obscure referencing that means nothing

This chapter wasn't bad. The Indian lady was funny in how out of character she is with the insults. Shoko, the real estate woman, called in to tell Tsukimi that the fashion show was useless. And? I don't know but I guess an obvious declaration of war was warranted despite the threat being "the strong win" or whatever. Kuranosuke now will have to get all the Amars back in spirit to work with the Indian shop. Shu ordering the dress of Kuranosuke's mom is also a sub-plot which will bring steam with Kuranosuke's background and the Tsukimi/Shu situation.
__C+__

Onidere (ch 123-125) -gag, innocent youngsters

Onidere is a gag manga and it can actually be quite funny. Saya is a delinquent in school and Tadashi is a feminine male who sews, nerdy, etc... They are going out pretty much the whole time with little development but they keep it hidden since Saya doesn't want to hurt her rep. There is a lot more to the manga like antagonists, action scenes, the families, henchmen, and some pretty damn funny fellow students (Tomeo for one, justice baby!).

These chapters had a gag where a group of the girls were turned into kids from a potion. Tadashi solved the clothing issue with lightning fast sewing skills while also making a cute outfit for Momo who is the BEST CHARACTER IN THE MANGA (this plus To Love-Ru makes for a legendary first name). There was some funny stuff and we then moved on to Saya competing with Saki to get a date with Tadashi. Tadashi being slick thwarts their efforts.
__C__

To Love-Ru Darkness (ch 12) -Momo, Momo, Harem, Momo, Momo, Momo

I find Momo's various hair styles more interesting then most manga out there. And apparently she likely rocks some Monster Hunter with Rito. Rin of Tenjouin's crew gets some air time and she has some awkward curves I'd say... She mostly just had a run-in with Mikan, whom had the real spotlight here. Basically, Mikan is threatened by Momo basically taking her place as being helpful to her brother. This compounds with the incest push from Momo and also with Mikan always rejecting confessions from male students. Not sure really what to say about that oddness...

But who would have thought that the deviluke wings are not alien? They are apparently one of Lala's inventions. Mind-blown. Momo also got her tail licked like ice cream while Rito was sleeping. I'm OK with this. She is also obviously in love with Rito and eventually this will collide with her harem plan. But this manga is already out of control with the harem aspect.
__B__

I didn't get a chance to read Akagami no Shirayukihime, Asu no Yoichi (ehhh), Beezlebub, Magico, Until Death Do Us Part, and I'm only part-way on Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (which started out very funny with the alien fish murdering). Was way tired but there are some good ones in there.

Angry Grimace said:
I would have laughed if he did, but it's a rage series, not a comedy series.
One day we will get a manga with the edge of Hetakoi along with the art of Kouji (KNIM) or Yabuki Kentaro (TLR). In fact the edginess + a bit of KNIM small town vibe + TLR's fantasy aspects sound great. 2/3 of that is Sora no Otoshimono but it is missing a serious/quality narrative.

Well shit though...that also kind of sounds like Please Teacher. Needs better writing though. Nao Akinari (Countrouble, Trinity 7) should team up with Akizuki Sorata (Akagami no Shirayukihime) for a dream team effort. Either that or somebody take a tack hammer to IM Dal-Young's head to combine the aspects of Unbalancex2, subtracting some of the innocence, with the superior Onihime VS.

I could go on for awhile...

lordmrw

cosmicblizzard said:
Getbackers vol 30

Nice to know the mystery surrounding Infinity Fortress is finally going to be revealed. That just bugged me at the end of the anime before I knew anime was based off manga and now I'll finally get to see what's up with the place. Also nice to see the Beltline and Babylon City.

I'm so f*king mad that no one has picked up the license to finish this. So now I have 25 volumes of an unfinished series just sitting here. Same thing with some of Tokyopop's other licesnes, like King of Hell and Rebirth.

survivor

Banned
Beelzebub

Haha this was an awesome chapter. Furuichi is always hilarious.

And where the fuck is Toujou? This is seriously bullshit now. They are not even bothering to show his training.

survivor said:
Beelzebub

Haha this was an awesome chapter. Furuichi is always hilarious.

And where the fuck is Toujou? This is seriously bullshit now. They are not even bothering to show his training.

Its possible its him and the Student prez are training together. Should be interesting to see their results.

Kreed

Beelzebub 127:

I don't know what I laughed harder at. Beelzebub fighting or Furuichi trying to avoid training...actually Baby Beel fighting was funnier but it was damn close. If only Beelzebub would always focus on comedy and less on action it'd be perfect every chapter.

survivor

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
Its possible its him and the Student prez are training together. Should be interesting to see their results.
Yeah man but last time we have seen him was like 40 chapters ago (not counting the court dream appearance). I just want to see him kick more ass.

Beelzebub
That Singer Guy... said:
Beezlebub is so good

Definitely one of my favorites at the moment.
Beelzebub is amazing when it´s concentrated on comedy. When there are fighting chapter, the quality of the manga goes to hell imo.

Kreed said:
Beelzebub 127:

I don't know what I laughed harder at. Beelzebub fighting or Furuichi trying to avoid training...actually Baby Beel fighting was funnier but it was damn close. If only Beelzebub would always focus on comedy and less on action it'd be perfect every chapter.

I agree with this. I love how comedy is handled in this manga. "Solitary Tsundere" made me laugh out loud.

Is there anything similar?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Shouta said:
Bah, they really changed a lot of stuff for the Live Action Welcome to the El Palacio! Bunny got changed into a karate girl named Sae, Itsuki is older and bit thicker (though I don't mind!) and they bumped Hinata up to being a high school drop-out. They even changed Mariko's cowgirl gag into something else as well.
How far is this series in japan? Does he have any indication of his old life yet?

gunbo13

Glass Rebel said:
I agree with this. I love how comedy is handled in this manga. "Solitary Tsundere" made me laugh out loud.

Is there anything similar?
Gintama > ALL

Blood Lad, Chrno Crusade, Soul Eater have similar shounen/comedy vibes. Nothing touches Gintama though.

lordmrw said:
I'm so f*king mad that no one has picked up the license to finish this. So now I have 25 volumes of an unfinished series just sitting here. Same thing with some of Tokyopop's other licesnes, like King of Hell and Rebirth.

One of the reason i stop buying manga from NA until it done .
I get burn a few times and was lucky to sell it off.

gunbo13 said:
Gintama > ALL

Blood Lad, Chrno Crusade, Soul Eater have similar shounen/comedy vibes. Nothing touches Gintama though.

Yeah Gintama is awesome , it also does serious stuff really good also .
That's why it's sooooo good.

Kreed

gunbo13 said:
Gintama > ALL

Yes Gintama is the closest if you're looking for a comedy manga with action elements (or just want to read a great manga period). I wouldn't include the other mangas you mentioned because they are all the reverse, action mangas with comedy elements.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
gunbo13 said:
Kuragehime (ch 40) -josei, cross-dressing, obscure referencing that means nothing
This chapter wasn't bad. The Indian lady was funny in how out of character she is with the insults. Shoko, the real estate woman, called in to tell Tsukimi that the fashion show was useless. And? I don't know but I guess an obvious declaration of war was warranted despite the threat being "the strong win" or whatever. Kuranosuke now will have to get all the Amars back in spirit to work with the Indian shop. Shu ordering the dress of Kuranosuke's mom is also a sub-plot which will bring steam with Kuranosuke's background and the Tsukimi/Shu situation.
__C+__

Onidere (ch 123-125) -gag, innocent youngsters
Onidere is a gag manga and it can actually be quite funny. Saya is a delinquent in school and Tadashi is a feminine male who sews, nerdy, etc... They are going out pretty much the whole time with little development but they keep it hidden since Saya doesn't want to hurt her rep. There is a lot more to the manga like antagonists, action scenes, the families, henchmen, and some pretty damn funny fellow students (Tomeo for one, justice baby!).

These chapters had a gag where a group of the girls were turned into kids from a potion. Tadashi solved the clothing issue with lightning fast sewing skills while also making a cute outfit for Momo who is the BEST CHARACTER IN THE MANGA (this plus To Love-Ru makes for a legendary first name). There was some funny stuff and we then moved on to Saya competing with Saki to get a date with Tadashi. Tadashi being slick thwarts their efforts.
__C__

To Love-Ru Darkness (ch 12) -Momo, Momo, Harem, Momo, Momo, Momo
I find Momo's various hair styles more interesting then most manga out there. And apparently she likely rocks some Monster Hunter with Rito. Rin of Tenjouin's crew gets some air time and she has some awkward curves I'd say... She mostly just had a run-in with Mikan, whom had the real spotlight here. Basically, Mikan is threatened by Momo basically taking her place as being helpful to her brother. This compounds with the incest push from Momo and also with Mikan always rejecting confessions from male students. Not sure really what to say about that oddness...

But who would have thought that the deviluke wings are not alien? They are apparently one of Lala's inventions. Mind-blown. Momo also got her tail licked like ice cream while Rito was sleeping. I'm OK with this. She is also obviously in love with Rito and eventually this will collide with her harem plan. But this manga is already out of control with the harem aspect.
__B__

I didn't get a chance to read Akagami no Shirayukihime, Asu no Yoichi (ehhh), Beezlebub, Magico, Until Death Do Us Part, and I'm only part-way on Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (which started out very funny with the alien fish murdering). Was way tired but there are some good ones in there.

One day we will get a manga with the edge of Hetakoi along with the art of Kouji (KNIM) or Yabuki Kentaro (TLR). In fact the edginess + a bit of KNIM small town vibe + TLR's fantasy aspects sound great. 2/3 of that is Sora no Otoshimono but it is missing a serious/quality narrative.

Well shit though...that also kind of sounds like Please Teacher. Needs better writing though. Nao Akinari (Countrouble, Trinity 7) should team up with Akizuki Sorata (Akagami no Shirayukihime) for a dream team effort. Either that or somebody take a tack hammer to IM Dal-Young's head to combine the aspects of Unbalancex2, subtracting some of the innocence, with the superior Onihime VS.

I could go on for awhile...
I can't fathom what they were thinking by putting out a sequel to shitty To Love Ru

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just use the chrome plug in that I am no longer actually allowed to name. It keep track of when any manga I am reading gets updated on a site I am "keeping track of", and has a built in search engine.

survivor

Banned
I use both MAL and mangaupdates to keep track of manga I read. Though I really want to ditch MAL but I can't cause I use it for anime as well and I like having everything in one profile.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Angry Grimace said:
I can't fathom what they were thinking by putting out a sequel to shitty To Love Ru

wow. i didnt realize there was someone else who didnt like to love ru here..

Angry Grimace

Kenak said:
How can it be fixed when it's all soft core porn. I mean, the primary thrust of the plot is the male character falls and lands with his face in a girls vagina. TLR makes Negima's first 8 volumes look tame and original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom