• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

New thread?

All the shonen this week were pretty good, except One Piece didn't flow so well (weird action plus flashback doesn't mix well).

Hunter X Hunter is back! Damn, I was hating on it for a while but now this intrigue over who will be the new chairman is great. And with Gon recovering, could make for some interesting stuff. I'm assuming Leorio is gonna be the one that fixes Gon through his newly discovered Nen ability.

Bleach's art is amazing btw. The chapter was short but sweet. Naruto = shouldershrug

Belfast

HxH

Pariston totally reminds me of the dude from Medaka Box. Which means he is probably batshit insane. Nice to see Ging a part of things, too.

Lain

gundamkyoukai said:
Damn that sounds great i really want to read the manga but waiting on a seconds season of the anime.
Thought they were making one only to find out it's some side story they doing .
I want a second season of the anime as well, but as someone pointed out to me in the anime thread, they don't have enough to do one yet, especially with the rounds still going.
I'd suggest to read the manga, although some chapters are way too short, it's getting to a really interesting point right now, play wise. Plus after Nodoka it will be finally Saki turn. I want to see Saki lay down some more smackdowns!

Well at least the Naruto Shippuden anime is finally showing the animated form of Naruto's nine tails mode, only in the ending animation, but it looks almost as good as the fan artists renditions, if only we werent stuck in filler for this entire month.

gunbo13

The Sacred Blacksmith (ch 1-15) -shounen, action, swords that turn into hot chicks

I'm kinda mad. I thought SB would have enough content in the 23 chaps to go beyond the anime. It looks like that it won't happen or will be limited. Regardless, the manga is much better. You get uncensored boobs and lesbian poses in the bath. I mean the art/narrative are done better. The fighting is more violent and the emotions are stronger. I still feel like the main antagonist is forced though and there are a lot of gaps. Still, you have a bad guy, a one year timeline to pull off a miracle, a sealed away crazy monster, demon swords, etc... It works out.
__C+__

Releases I wish magic upon:
Countrouble (54d)
Hekikai no AiON (81d)
Let's Lagoon (44d)
Onihime VS (fuck you unbalancex2!)
School Shock (49d, MUVA needs staff!)
The Legend of Maian (171d, they do bulk releases but it has been so long /sad)

Today's releases on tap:
Asu no Yoichi! (yuck)
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Onidere
To Love-Ru Darkness
Until Death Do Us Part

Meh, I'm in boredom phase for most of those except Momo. Never enough Momo. Never. Enough.

Lain

Happy! PE vol 7 (100-116)

OK, Umino's match was actually cool, I appreciated
that she didn't sell the match but fought it out until the end, winning.
Yet, Urasawa saw fit to get people to still badmouth Umino through that whore Choko.
The more of Happy! I read, the more I dislike Urasawa.

lordmrw

I'm hoping Togashi at least does 20 or so chapters like last time before he takes another inevitable hiatus. I've never followed the series consistently, only reading it in chunks at varying points so this new arc seems like a good point to start.

Lain

Blue Exorcist vol 4

Blue Exorcist seems to be doing well in Italy. I mean, I couldn't find volume 2 and 3 as they were back ordered, but got my hands on volume 4.
Since I've been watching the anime, I got ahead and gave it a quick read (I'll do a more through read once I get volumes 2 and 3) and it feels better than what I had read of the first volume (which felt to me as a purdy but empty endeavor).
The differences and similarities with the anime are apparent and, in a way, I like them both. Though Rin seems more moe in the manga. Also, Shura <3.

Dedication Through Light said:
Well at least the Naruto Shippuden anime is finally showing the animated form of Naruto's nine tails mode, only in the ending animation, but it looks almost as good as the fan artists renditions, if only we werent stuck in filler for this entire month.
Truly. Naruto filler is infinitely worse than Bleach's.

survivor

Banned
Lain said:
Blue Exorcist vol 4

Blue Exorcist seems to be doing well in Italy. I mean, I couldn't find volume 2 and 3 as they were back ordered, but got my hands on volume 4.
Since I've been watching the anime, I got ahead and gave it a quick read (I'll do a more through read once I get volumes 2 and 3) and it feels better than what I had read of the first volume (which felt to me as a purdy but empty endeavor).
The differences and similarities with the anime are apparent and, in a way, I like them both. Though Rin seems more moe in the manga. Also, Shura <3.
Moe Rin is best Rin.

The manga seems to be doing well in the US too well. I'm kinda surprised that it came out on nowhere and started selling like crazy.

Lain

Needless vol 9

Finally another volume came out here, and damn if it wasn't awesome.
Cruz/Yamada crossdressing has to be one of the best arcs of this story, the silliness it reached is hard to tops, with also some outrageously stupid word games that work exactly thanks to that stupidity.
The way Yamada left the institute was great, and even while leaving he managed to break something.
Disk licking the box to analyze it made me laugh.
December is going to have vol 10 published here and I can't wait.

Lain said:
Needless vol 9

Finally another volume came out here, and damn if it wasn't awesome.
Cruz/Yamada crossdressing has to be one of the best arcs of this story, the silliness it reached is hard to tops, with also some outrageously stupid word games that work exactly thanks to that stupidity.
The way Yamada left the institute was great, and even while leaving he managed to break something.
Disk licking the box to analyze it made me laugh.
December is going to have vol 10 published here and I can't wait.

Lucky bastard as you got the filled out chapters :(

Still waiting until that's done before i continue this

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm sorry, I laughed at the last KNIM chapter where the chick was going to let him have sex with her in exchange for an relatively minor favor.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
tdsv.jpg

Medaka hates when her friends betray her, etc. I need the full 117 chapter now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Infinite Justice said:
and let me guess, he refused.
Well, he does have a girlfriend, and I probably would have found it pretty odd that a girl would want me to take her virginity in a laundry room in exchange for doing basically nothing.

Angry Grimace said:
Well, he does have a girlfriend, and I probably would have found it pretty odd that a girl would want me to take her virginity in a laundry room in exchange for doing basically nothing.

oh yea i forgot the troll returned and they are trying again. Well, ignore then

tenchir

Infinite Justice said:
Is Kumagawa such a scumbag that you want to punch his face in repeatedly? a shame

I thought he reminded me of Kumagawa too, but the pre-Anjimu version where he is an unlikeable character. He's a sadistic person.

The post-Anjimu Kumugawa who joined Medaka's council is pretty likeable because now he just trolls people.

duckroll

WARNING

This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

Shouta

I have aready issued a warning in the past about this in the past, but since duckroll had to do it again looks like I'm going to have to be a bit of a dick about it!

duckroll

Shouta said:
I have aready issued a warning in the past about this in the past, but since duckroll had to do it again looks like I'm going to have to be a bit of a dick about it!

I wasn't going to do anything, but someone complained that it was enforced on animegaf and not manga-gaf! Gotta be fair!

Shouta

duckroll said:
I wasn't going to do anything, but someone complained that it was enforced on animegaf and not manga-gaf! Gotta be fair!

I'm gonna have to knock some heads off in the season threads then!

Just to make it clear, manga-gaf can still talk about the scans and the job fans are doing, just don't link to where to get them. It's the same rules as when fansubbing was still actually around for anime.

Unlike anime, manga doesn't have an official online outlet that is as big as say Crunchy Roll (as disgusting as that is to me). There are aggregate sites but they're run by folks out for money and not for the fans so I can understand wanting to avoid those places as much as possible.

Nocebo

Beelzebub
Great chapter. Gotta love a good crotch shot... :D... :(
The only manga I'm reading right now that consistently delivers entertainment for me.

duckroll

I just don't want people linking to clearly illegal sites from NeoGAF. That totally crosses the line and I feel that it is a legitimate complain. People who link to torrents or pirate sites in TV show threads get banned too. No reason why it should be different here.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, which of these are allowed and not?

Linking to/Naming the Google Plug in that automatically keeps track of Manga stuff
Saying "Oh, Series X can be read on Site Y, and group V is actively retranslating the older stuff"
Saying "One Piece is up at <Online manga reader site X>"
Saying "Group XYZ has released Bakuman earlier then the normal group ZYX"
Ignis doing his old "And Redhawk just finished translating The World only God Knows chapter ### <Link to topic on Red Hawk message Board about the release>"

*Opens Pandora's box and dooms us all*

duckroll

Drkirby said:
Linking/Naming to the Google Plug in that automatically keeps track of Manga stuff

I don't know what this does.

No.

I'll let Shouta and Kagari decide, I'll prefer not, but I don't frequent this community so I'll leave it for mods who do, since that would be fair.

Ignis doing his old "And Redhawk just finished translating The World only God Knows chapter ### <Link to topic on Red Hawk message Board about the release>"

I dunno, isn't this self-promotion? I thought that wasn't allowed! Lol.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I guess it is self promotion, but to be honest, I think the community in here likes it far more then dislikes it. It is also nice being able to talk to someone who is more directly involved in our hobby, and know immediately when the release is out / should be coming ahead or behind and the reason / other stuffs. Its not like he is making money from it, he just likes sharing the work he contributed in producing.

If it isn't fully clear, Ignis isn't promoting an online reader, but the group the actually is translating it and such.

duckroll

Drkirby said:
I guess it is self promotion, but to be honest, I think the community in here likes it far more then dislikes it. It is also nice being able to talk to someone who is more directly involved in our hobby, and know immediately when the release is out / should be coming ahead or behind and the reason / other stuffs. Its not like he is making money from it, he just likes sharing the work he contributed in producing.

If it isn't fully clear, Ignis isn't promoting an online reader, but the group the actually is translating it and such.

Shrug, I'm not really trying to be a bad guy here. I guess we'll take things one at a time. I just want to make it clear that linking to illegal websites is not okay. I don't really have a problem with the manga threads at all, and I didn't ban anyone. It just seems that a casual glance on the few pages here made it clear that things have gone beyond what is generally acceptable. Slipping standards! :(

Lain

Mishounen Produce vol 4

This was the last volume and I found it somewhat disappointing in the ending department. The story had its cliché and flaws, but seemed refreshing enough that having to see the usual
male leads decides to go study abroad for a couple of years and coming back for the female lead
left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
From short stories I expect a more careful planning personally.

Beelzebub vol 3

This is one of the better new shonen manga I'm reading lately. Every page, every bubble, every piece of action keeps me highly entertained and interested, the art is good and simple, the characters are cool.
Oga taking the physical beating from Kunieda because they misunderstand each other was badass and it was so because of the outcome and how it played out. Also, after the fact, the little exchange between Hilda and Takayuki was lol worthy, as it comes to light that he was cheering for Oga to lose and that his whispering "good, hit him even harder!" would remain in her heart.
Oh, and Ken Beel with the cat XD
Oh, and did I interpret the panel wrong or does Tojo already possess that symbol Oga has on his hand?

Not talking about sites would be kind of hard since most of the time the groups that do the translating is the name of the website .
We also talk about which groups have the better translation since it cause problems with the story like with what happen to One Piece many times and few others.

duckroll

gundamkyoukai said:
Not talking about sites would be kind of hard since most of the time the groups that do the translating is the name of the website .
Then also people talk about which group have the better translation since it cause problems with the story like with what happen to One Piece many times and few others.

It's only hard if that's all you want to talk about.

Angry Grimace

I don't know. It doesn't seem right to me to be saying Ignis can't link to his own group's releases; he's self-promoting but his group isn't really doing it for the money and TWGOK isn't even licensed outside Japan.

I mean, in all fairness, just saying it's out makes it pretty obvious since no one else is scanning those series.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I guess a good place to start is not linking or naming Manga Aggregator Sites, sites the just take hundreds of mangas and host them online, to try and profit off of though ads.

You said naming Fansub groups was ok, so naming and linking to Scanlation groups shouldn't be problematic by extrapolation. In fact, it would likely be a bit nicer if people named the group that did the translation, rather then just said it was up on an online site that host a billion mangas, and just hosted which ever group finished first in site of quality issues.

I don't know, its hard to know where to draw the line on gray issues like these. We just need to have some clearly written guidelines if we want to correct any problems that we have been doing for years.

likeGdid

Lain said:
Happy! PE vol 7 (100-116)

OK, Umino's match was actually cool, I appreciated
that she didn't sell the match but fought it out until the end, winning.
Yet, Urasawa saw fit to get people to still badmouth Umino through that whore Choko.
The more of Happy! I read, the more I dislike Urasawa.
Urasawa is top tier for me (Pluto gotdamn), but Happy! never fails to make me terribly uncomfortable. It's one thing putting a moral character in very bad/unfair situations and it's another to have the entire world shit on said moral character every second.

Any little victory she occasional gets also ends up bringing more shit with it.

I generally refrain from trying to keep up with it, but gosh darn if I still want to see her win.

Shouta

Linking to/Naming the Google Plug in that automatically keeps track of Manga stuff

While the plugin only keeps track of the info, it links to the sites no? Then bad.

Saying "Oh, Series X can be read on Site Y, and group V is actively retranslating the older stuff"

Site Y is the problem, Series X is fine as is Group Z retranslating. Just DON'T LINK TO THE SITE.

No dice, because you're saying a site.

That's fine.

Don't link to the site, announce you finished it, is fine. I do manga too so but I never link to where to get it.

I'll make this clear again, DO NOT LINK TO SITES. You can say who released it and even compare works but do not tell folks where to get it in the thread.

duckroll

Drkirby said:
I guess a good place to start is not linking or naming Manga Aggregator Sites, sites the just take hundreds of mangas and host them online, to try and profit off of though ads. You said naming Fansub groups was ok, so naming Scanlation groups wouldn't be problematic by extrapolation.

In fact, it would likely be a bit nicer if people named the group that did the translation, rather then just said it was up on an online site.

I do agree with this. But I also feel that there is no reason to allow linking to actual scanlation releases. People have been banned for linking to complete music albums on Youtube. People have been banned for linking to downloads of PVP sports events and streams. We allow people to talk about fan translations on Gaming, and talk about groups doing such work. We do not allow links to patched ISOs or roms, nor do we allow discussion of where to get ISOs and roms. I don't see how this is hard to understand, nor do I see how it's really up for much discussion.

It's the linking that bothers me the most really.

Edit: Looks like I'm on the same page with Shouta in general. I don't really like coming in and "stepping on toes", but the blatant linking really did bother me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, one of you should likely PM Ignis and just tell him he can't hotlink directly to the topics about the releases, he will just have to type a few more words when announcing releases. He should see this discussion, but I would rather not see him banned for that.

So, would this be the easiest ways to write the rules you are trying to emphasis?

No linking or naming any manga aggregator websites.
No linking to any fan manga translation group, you can name them.
No directly linking to any manga in full [Obviously this wouldn't include any official release given for free, but people should be able to figure that out on their own]

duckroll said:
It's only hard if that's all you want to talk about.

Sometimes in manga gaf we start talking about the series or events that happen in a series but then people find stuff wrong with the translation they were reading when they trying to prove a point\discussing stuff .
So if i say i read OP from group XYZ and it's the name of there site am i going to get banned for that ?

Edit okay so we can talk about the groups that cool just don't link to stuff.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I want to say Duckroll is just saying you can't hotlink to their site, you can talk about them all you want. Even if manga translation group XYZ is just XYZ.com.

I guess you can't directly link to any picture hosted on their site, but that is just rude to do anyway.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Eh, just talk about the chapters, no problem.

I mean, saying "Naruto chapter xxxx is out on www.xxxxx.com" is (now) forbidden, but saying "Naruto chapter xxxx is out" I assume it's ok, right?

Then I don't see the problem.

upandaway

duckroll said:
Shrug, I'm not really trying to be a bad guy here. I guess we'll take things one at a time. I just want to make it clear that linking to illegal websites is not okay. I don't really have a problem with the manga threads at all, and I didn't ban anyone. It just seems that a casual glance on the few pages here made it clear that things have gone beyond what is generally acceptable. Slipping standards! :(
Are you looking at this from a TOS perspective or from an ethical perspective?
Because I'm kind of seeing both here mixed up in your reasoning and I don't think an answer can come from that ever.

No question the rule situation is foggy as hell, and to me that's all fine and dandy until someone gets banned for something someone else gets the clear on.

(not a PM because we may as well slow down the thread a little and figure this out for once)

duckroll

upandaway said:
Are you looking at this from a TOS perspective or from an ethical perspective?

I'm mostly approaching it from TOS, but obviously my personal opinions are colored by ethical concerns. Regardless, the issue is mostly that it seems bad form to have a thread where people are constantly linking to sites which exist only to distribute illegal content. This is less about the people linking it, and more about the locations being linked to.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's not a big deal in my opinion. In fact, it matters little and doesn't change much how people normally discuss stuff in the manga thread.

Most... if not all people participating in the Manga thread is already... well versed, in the art of finding manga chapters anyway, hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom