• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, I guess it's really 2 more chapters to the end then.

Crazy. I would've thought it would be like, 30 chapters to end. Guess Jump just wants to pull the plug already.

I'm sure Kubo's taking longer than they'd like for him to wrap things up. And at this point I'm sure Jump just wants it to be done.

Jump's actually in a bit of a pinch. Probably the reason why Nisekoi got an extension is because Bleach and Gintama are pretty close to ending, while Toriko and Nisekoi are on their way, and HxH going on hiatus again.

I haven't heard much of their new series, probably because none of them are particularly good? Assclass ended early. Black Clover and Hinomaru Zumo haven't really caught on. A "Haikyuu, Shokugeki, World Trigger, My Hero Academia" lineup is a real fall compared to what they had a few years ago.

Black clover may not have caught on in this thread but it's gotten fairly enjoyable and I imagine it's anime is coming in 2017. The yaiba series has gotten a lot better and done fairly solid in the ratings it just had kind of a slow start still too early to talk about its long term viability.

Jump is fine it's cutting off the dead weight fat even if it's newer series aren't catching on in the us they seem to be doing well over there:

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Most big manga seem to end like this; you just get like a random "ending in 2 chapters" notice. The only one that didn't was FMA.

Didn't Naruto get like two months notice?

I know Dragon Ball got that short notice and shocked everyone.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Didn't Naruto get like two months notice?

I know Dragon Ball got that short notice and shocked everyone.

Naruto didn't leave a million plot threads hanging because Kishimoto wasn't a total hack, despite what people on the internet will tell you.

dramatis

Black Clover is ranking high. World Trigger has been ranking low though.
It's not really a case of ranking when I say "haven't really caught on". PSI Kusuo Sainan had a time where it ranked high too, but it's a fairly niche comedy manga, it's not going to be selling volumes by the load.

Probably with an anime Black Clover could increase its sales, but it's probably not going to hit peaks like Gintama's or Toriko's. Latest volume of Black Clover (5th) only just edged past 100k. Unless the material is ripe for fujoshi fantasy, it's not going to get an anime boost that will take it very far.

Black clover may not have caught on in this thread but it's gotten fairly enjoyable and I imagine it's anime is coming in 2017. The yaiba series has gotten a lot better and done fairly solid in the ratings it just had kind of a slow start still too early to talk about its long term viability.

Jump is fine it's cutting off the dead weight fat even if it's newer series aren't catching on in the us they seem to be doing well over there:
Problem is they don't have replacements for the "dead weight fat".

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch. 37

Yeah, this dude's so gonna fuck around and someone'll snitch through that app. Ontan should beat some sense into him.

Ozanari-Kun ch. 6-9

OK, the boss dreaming about Ozanari was kinda amusing.

LeleSocho

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc - 2

I like Tomoyo's new hairstyle.
Hurray for new outfits and a sounding "HUEEEEEEE!?" in this chapter.

Averon

5-6 chapters to wrap up Bleach. A disaster in the making. Kubo's been dragging his heels in this arc, and now he's expected to wrap things up in 5-6 chapters? A satisfying ending is impossible.

Lain

I picked up one of the volumes of A cat and our Friday with the intention of seeing how it was. It was volume 4 and I was more interested in checking characters/setup etc. so not reading from the first volume wasn't really an issue. First few pages have the main heroine in a pinch choosing what to wear for her date and she comments on a dress that it's too adult-like and she'd like to dress in a way which would make her look closer in age to her lover.
This got me wondering about the age of her boyfriend, so I went a few pages back to check characters bios, but none was there. While no bio was at the start of the volume, a summary of the story so far was there and it was amusing.

Ai, the main character and a first year in high school, is dating her sempai. At the same time, every Friday, she gives lessons to her younger cousin in fifth grade. While she gives these lessons, her cousin starts making passes at her and she ends up falling in love with him. Her sempai finds out she is in love with her younger cousin but he doesn't want to break up with her, so she decides to distance herself from her cousin for the well being of her sempai and they decide to make a trip. Her feelings for her cousin though are hard to suppress and when he shows up at the hotel they were lodging at (he followed them in secret), the sempai is so smitten by the cousin's feelings that he decides to let her go for Ai's well-being. All that's left is for Ai to confess her love to her cousin, but she hurts him instead, but then she appeals to all her courage and confesses her love for him and they finally live their mutual love together.

Such a corny and far-fetched love story that I closed the volume and started reading One Piece volume 79 instead. Saw Rufy finally beating Do Flamingo for good, everyone crying tears of joy and the famous how Oda draws female characters SBS.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I picked up one of the volumes of A cat and our Friday with the intention of seeing how it was. It was volume 4 and I was more interested in checking characters/setup etc. so not reading from the first volume wasn't really an issue. First few pages have the main heroine in a pinch choosing what to wear for her date and she comments on a dress that it's too adult-like and she'd like to dress in a way which would make her look closer in age to her lover.
This got me wondering about the age of her boyfriend, so I went a few pages back to check characters bios, but none was there. While no bio was at the start of the volume, a summary of the story so far was there and it was amusing.

Such a corny and far-fetched love story that I closed the volume and started reading One Piece volume 79 instead. Saw Rufy finally beating Do Flamingo for good, everyone crying tears of joy and the famous how Oda draws female characters SBS.
Isnt that an anime now?

It's not really a case of ranking when I say "haven't really caught on". PSI Kusuo Sainan had a time where it ranked high too, but it's a fairly niche comedy manga, it's not going to be selling volumes by the load.

Probably with an anime Black Clover could increase its sales, but it's probably not going to hit peaks like Gintama's or Toriko's. Latest volume of Black Clover (5th) only just edged past 100k. Unless the material is ripe for fujoshi fantasy, it's not going to get an anime boost that will take it very far.

Problem is they don't have replacements for the "dead weight fat".

Black Clover is ripe for fujoshi fantasy with it's male designs and their interactions

And if WSJ felt the same way you did they seemingly won't be forcing all these series to end the way they have. Either something else is going on in WSJ or they have more confidence in stuff like Black Clover, Saiki, and Samon then this community do.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

What the actual fuck lmao

Must've released after my intentionally reading shitty shoujo phase

Black Clover is ripe for fujoshi fantasy with it's male designs and their interactions

And if WSJ felt the same way you did they seemingly won't be forcing all these series to end the way they have. Either something else is going on in WSJ or they have more confidence in stuff like Black Clover, Saiki, and Samon then this community do.

If only Yuno would come back, hes been missing from his Dorksta for so long :(

dramatis

I don't think the endings of Gintama and Toriko are being forced. Gintama's going along quite leisurely, it probably won't end with the next round of incoming new series. Even Bleach was allowed to peter out for a very long time, and the reason they allowed this is because Bleach, after a long decline, still sells some 300-400k per volume.

I get that you probably like Black Clover a lot, but how much you like it won't translate directly to super success and wide appeal. Just ask TheRealTalker and Dedication Through Light. Peak Toriko was only a mid-tier seller no matter how much WSJ pushed it. World Trigger is selling 300k now, after an anime.

As for the fujoshi fantasy, it's not nearly that simple. If it were that easy, I think a lot more different titles would have blown up, but that's not the case.

Kurita

Only way to save Jump is by having a sequel to Eyeshield 21, I'm telling you!

There are dozens of us waiting for it, dozens!

LeleSocho

Banned
Toriko ending is totally forced, it was obvious that there was going to be an arc for every one of the eight kings but all of a sudden main villain appeared, eight kings all together and on the heroes' side and important people began to fight/die.

Probably WSJ wants to start a new generation of big fighting shonens all together.

Ekid

3-gatsu no Lion vol.10

Ship sailed. This is how you do it.

UTrtRg4.png

Toriko ending is totally forced, it was obvious that there was going to be an arc for every one of the eight kings but all of a sudden main villain appeared, eight kings all together and on the heroes' side and important people began to fight/die.

Probably WSJ wants to start a new generation of big fighting shonens all together.

hopefully WSJ has a plan since Soma is something else and Boku no Hero can't hold everything up as a leader for new series

hopefully WSJ has a plan since Soma is something else and Boku no Hero can't hold everything up as a leader for new series

WSJ has to have something good in their bullpen, since of their new current running franchises none of them (except MHA) seem to be heavy weights.
Everything that started after WT (Early 2013) and is still alive.
Isobe Isobee Monogatari: Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo: A lightweight, but due to its nature it was never going to be something powerful so it does what its supposed to do.
Hinomaru Zumō: I don't know why this is still around, the manga volumes sell like complete and utter shit for the genre.
My Hero Academia: The only rising heavy weight.
Black Clover: They are trying to push this hard, but it seems to be doing a Toriko and unable to push past it's ceiling into being a heavy weight.
Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club: A weak seller, 5th vol debuted at 22,027 copies.
Mononofu: 0 Sales data, never once hit the top 50 in any week.....so yeah.
Samon-Kun: Weak seller, 4th vol debuted at 22,579 copies.
Yuragi-sō no Yūna-san: To-Love Ru alike, won't ever be a heavy weight due to that.
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Seems decently liked ranking wise, but nothing amazing so I'm doubtful.
Boruto: Ain't going to help.
Takuan to Batsu no Nichijou Enma-chou: Might be the worse Jump manga since E-Robot and Lady Justice.

WSJ has to have something good in their bullpen, since of their new current running franchises none of them (except MHA) seem to be heavy weights.
Isobe Isobee Monogatari: Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo: A lightweight, but due to its nature it was never going to be something powerful so it does what its supposed to do.
Hinomaru Zumō: I don't know why this is still around, the manga volumes sell like complete and utter shit for the genre.
Black Clover: They are trying to push this hard, but it seems to be doing a Toriko and unable to push past it's ceiling into being a heavy weight.
Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club: A weak seller, 5th vol debuted at 22,027 copies.
Yuragi-sō no Yūna-san: To-Love Ru alike, won't ever be a heavy weight due to that.
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Seems decently liked ranking wise, but nothing amazing so I'm doubtful.
Takuan to Batsu no Nichijou Enma-chou: Might be the worse Jump manga since E-Robot and Lady Justice.

Eh, Black Clover's doing pretty well for a new series, even if it's pretty generic imo. Most jump series have always been doomed to fail, so this is nothing new. The jump system is designed to pump out a ton of series and weed out underperforming ones. One shouldn't expect all big hits to be Naruto or One Piece sized, those are anomalies. Toriko is a pretty decent hit even if it's nowhere near that status for instance. And as a bunch of old series end, a bunch of new ones will start.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I have no idea how that Takuan and Batsu shit got approved. It's like it tries to be a weird fanservice-y comedy manga, but the art is so bad that none of it is sexy.
And the comedy is so poor. "I accidentally headbutt you in the crotch, so you must do the same to me!"

TheFlow

Banned
Eyeshield 21 Sequel with a new cast would be fucking amazing.

One of the greatest mangas of all time. Can't decide if slam dunk or eyeshield 21 is the best sports manga.

MANUELF

Banned
Is sad to see how Toriko didnt get any bigger after Jump really tried to push it with all those One Piece and Dragon Ball(2 biggest shonen series) crossovers

And volume 11 gets even better. With that pickup in speed, I hope more people will discuss it in here, I wanna read comments about the those events.

Can't wait for volume 11. I love this manga so much. It gives you that pleasant feeling of sitting in a small bus shelter in the middle of a thunderstorm. Easily in my top 5 current on-goings.

Yeah, the speed was a pain. I think there was a one year stretch when we only got 1 chapter!

gintama 594

I guess its time for them to take down Utsuro, which I'm sure is going to be the final battle.

Umisho 26 - 37

The swimming competition was interesting. I wasn't expecting that lewd ending though.

mdubs

Banned
Fire Punch ch. 0

That was Berserk levels of brutal, this one is probably going to blow up when it gets an anime eventually

I think its too soon to say that with BLack Clover, its not like its had an anime or even any big promo campaign.

I think your Isobe analysis is flawed, have you seen all the things isobe has been in and the adaptations for it, clearly its bringing in money for jump beyond just printed volume sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom