• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Berserk Anime and seeing the OP being in 2D while the rest of the anime is in 3D

:/

Don't get me wrong sometimes it works especially if it is some cell-shaded series that don't have realistic detail but a heavily stylized series like Berserk having such an animation makes it feel weird... at least they could've done something like a mixture between the two were the character models are still 2D

since 3D animation for anime has a still a long way to go before it can take on detail heavy Seinen

Revo

I have to say, I found it strangely endearing that Elias took Chise's form rather than his usual one in dealing with the boy. Kind of like he was trying to project a calmness that Chise brings to him onto the kid.

Yeah, I had imagined it was something like that as well.

upandaway

Watching the Berserk Anime and seeing the OP being in 2D while the rest of the anime is in 3D

:/

Don't get me wrong sometimes it works especially if it is some cell-shaded series that don't have realistic detail but a heavily stylized series like Berserk having such an animation makes it feel weird... at least they could've done something like a mixture between the two were the character models are still 2D

since 3D animation for anime has a still a long way to go before it can take on detail heavy Seinen
It's a huge bummer, there's an occasional animated couple of seconds and it's even more jarring than it would be with full on CG

bobohoro

Yo manga gaf, is tokyo ghoul worth a read? I remember seeing the first episode of the anime but was put off on how censored it was.

I liked Tokyo Ghoul. I am ongoingly disappointed in :re though.

Punpun is a masterpiece and anyone that reads it will come out as a better person.

This is true.
Forced reflection through works of art will lead to something most of the time. And Punpun will force you in several ways, many of which will be pretty uncomfortable.
But that's what makes it special.

Hajime No Ippo 1142

Please just focus on Takamura and drop the rest.

Strange Babys 1

UtHWG3L.jpg

Serialised continuation of a yuri one-shot (or two-shot?) about a pair of internet 'idols' with very different target demographics. IIRC the one-shot had a straightforward lily garden ending, but this is presumably going to shake things up by adding an obsessed fan as a rival. Honestly, this chapter didn't leave a positive impression on me, thanks to the bare-bones art, the vapid characters and the clumsy manner in which the NEW CHALLENGER's history was explained. Still, it's yuri and apparently only 5 chapters long, so it'll be easy to swallow even if the taste is lacking.

Engaged to the Unidentified ch. 71
Ordering pizza is such a daunting concept for someone whose lived out in the country. So many options.

Oniichan Control ch.30
I am so hoping that the final chapter is going for Seinfeld finale where everyone ends up in jail because boy everyone in this series is guilty of something, either directly or by association.

Tejina Senpai ch.19
Poor senpai cannot overcome physics and spicy food. Will she ever succeed at something?

I hope not.

Kyuur

Bleach

This would have been an epic moment if it was at the beginning of the series setting him up as the major villain for the rest of the series. I feel like if Kubo had actually planned this arc from the beginning and tied it with the rest it could have been quite good.

One Piece

Fuck, not a clone fight. The worst trope. At least it wasn't Jinbei's corpse on the beach.

Toriko

Very good chapter, the fighting actually felt meaningful and well choreographed like Jirou's, which is very rare post-timeskip.

Hero Academia

I can only think that all this character development for mom means she'll die eventually.

Hunter X Hunter

Good night sweet prince
s
. Excellent chapter to end on, thank god it wasn't last chapter or we would have been speculating WHODUNIT till the end of time.

Anyone else thinking hunter x hunter is going to go Berserk while on the boat?

Wouldn't this be a good thing? As far as I can tell from a quick google, Berserk's boat hiatuses have been much shorter on average than Hunter X Hunter.

Zweizer

Banned
Happy Sugar Life ch7

Shio is quite the trouble magnet.

Strange Babies ch1 by Ohsawa Yayoi

Serialization/sequel of the Black Goat and the Powerful Drug Madeleine one-shot. Feels rather forced and pointless, but let's see where this leads.

Do you like series with 28973590732905 characters

This is so fucking accurate.

Wanitokagegisu

By the author of Himizu with just as ugly and weird art and as shitty human beings. But I'd actually say, even with all the awful stuff that happens in these chapters so far, it seems to be...more of an uplifting or promising story. Like the MC is an ugly kinda losery guy but...he has the core of a good person in him after he pays off the 2,000,000 yen that a homeless guy who was going to get killed by Yakuza owed them.

Honestly, it's really a manga about older people in their teens and 20s and 30s and 40s just being really lonely and kinda social outcasts finding each other and having discombobulated friendships.

I dunno. Himizu was good but...meandered and kinda stopped really following any sort of progression or plot after a while. This is much more focused and I'm liking it more.

Samon the Summoner 13

BEHEMOTH-SENPAI!!!!! ;______;

Prison Lab 1
A bullied MC is given a chance to play a 'captivity game' with the leader of his tormentors, in which she has to guess his identity to win $100k, and if she's unsuccessful then he gets the money instead. Usually I'd be fully onboard with a revenge-'em-up story like this, but judging from the opening pages, not only does the MC not give her a blindfold but he also wears his goddamn school uniform around her. It's utterly baffling, unless his aim is actually to rub his identity in her face, in which case this should be over by chapter 3.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Prison Lab 1

A bullied MC is given a chance to play a 'captivity game' with the leader of his tormentors, in which she has to guess his identity to win $100k, and if she's unsuccessful then he gets the money instead. Usually I'd be fully onboard with a revenge-'em-up story like this, but judging from the opening pages, not only does the MC not give her a blindfold but he also wears his goddamn school uniform around her. It's utterly baffling, unless his aim is actually to rub his identity in her face, in which case this should be over by chapter 3.
Then the revelaiton happens and surprise its a daganrompa manga.

Zweizer

Banned
Their Story ch100-103

It's nice to see their families~

Fuck that, not worth it, no matter how fluffy it is.

Love Tyrant ch37

Ah, the traditional tormenting by the mothers-in-law.

Mitsuboshi Colors ch9

Protecting the town, one shop at a time~

She's surprisingly wise for her age.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch76

So these two are acquaintances.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ten The Nice Guy on the Path of Tenhou end
Finished reading it at last!
I was having fever when i'm reading it, and all i could think during my sleep was mahjong and what tiles Ten use to finish the east and west games. It was intense, but a bit taxing on your brain. Not to mention you'll see a lot of the same scenery.

The end of east vs west game end with east winning, but at the same time, Hiro realize that he never gonna be able to reach Akagi or Ten level of play. For 9 years after that, he become a white collar worker, living a proper life until one day he receive news that a funeral for Akagi will be held. He go to the funeral and to his surprise, he was invited for all night vigil, invited by Akagi himself who supposed to be dead. The funeral was real deal, since Akagi planned to kill himself using a self euthanize machine before his alzheimer kill him. His alzheimer already worsen at that point, he lost half his sight and he can no longer do simple arithmetic. He invited those who close to him to spend one last day with him, including his nemesis Soga and West team leader Harada.

This arc focus on other characters trying to convince Akagi not to die, and Akagi easily shut down their every argument and giving them a sermon about how he live. For Akagi, his body is merely a vessel for him to exist. His life full of recklessness is what made him Akagi, and he intend to be him till his last breath. Here we see Akagi at it weakest. During his final fight with Soga, Akagi didn't even realize the game already tie due to him incapable of doing simple math. Younger Akagi can make the game tie in several way, while this Akagi can only depend on his insane luck to make the game a tie. Akagi can't no longer play mahjong, the one thing that truly matter to him.

The final moment with Akagi was an important moment for him and his friends. Hiro finally stop becoming a white collar worker and become a mahjong instructur and occasional player for a mahjong player. He follow Akagi words to paddle away from a proper life and live the way he truly want. 2 and a half years after Akagi death, his grave already in shamble, thanks to the peoples chipping away his grave for luck or out of respect. Though as Hiro said, that mean Akagi is spreading and that he live on in their heart.

It was quite a fitting end, thought admittedly, the main character, Ten, didn't really get much times to shine. The spotlight was focused on other character like Hiro or Akagi. Not to mention Ten become way too different without proper explanation. He's no longer a joke type character, but rather a super gambler with great intuition. Hiro probably got the most character development out of all characters. He started out as a young naive college students and turn into a badass gambler by the end.

This series is a good way to get used to Fukumoto storytelling, His art is rough but charming in its own way (you'll get used to the pointy nose and chin and the facts that he often copy paste every mook in suit). You'll see pages and pages of lengthy explanation of mahjong, a lot of close up of people sweating, and empty panel only consist of words.

Glaucos

A 4 volume story about competitive free diving by the artist (but not writer) of Shamo. It's... forgettable. It's all fairly stereotyped, too, with a youth full of promise, the old past world champion that wants to train him as to have a new goal in life, the female doctor who is rational and cold, the opponent to beat, etc.
It doesn't do anything particular with the plot, there is no important drama beats, or romance, or comedy bits. It tries to put some mysticism about the ocean, the depths of the sea, freedom and origin of life, but it feels slapped on it.
The end part is disappointing with a twist that doesn't make a lot of sense, and the attempt of (end spoilers)
bittersweet dramatic end feels flat, of course he dies diving, but his legacy continues as he got pregnant the only woman in the story the night before. Convenient!

The good part, the drawing

bobohoro

Tokyo Ghoul :re 83

So, another one of the characters I care to remember is gone.
Not many left.

Hajime no Ippo 1145

That was pretty intense.
And totally ridiculous. Ippo aspiring to be the Pirate King.

Youkai Shoujo 76

Nagi is badass.

Detective Conan 965:
Damn, Gosho got me. I was so convinced that Kid was disguised as Okiya. I usually don't fall for the obvious red herrings like that.

Hajime no Ippo:
Well, it seems like Ippo has some fire back, at least. I hope that he can keep this up.

Gazer One-shot

I'd read a serialization of this. Basically a psychic powers buddy cop manga. 14 year old scientist kid interested in powers teams up with a woman in her 20s who can read people's thoughts. They stop a dude who explodes people. Pretty fun.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Tokyo Ghoul:re ch. 83

Good riddance to an utterly boring character. Hoping Kaneki cracks and eats his corpse.

That Washuu close-up panel looked pretty cool.

Berserk ch. 344

A lot of new characters whose names I've already forgotten.

phaze

Soma/One Piece

Reading this week's chapters of both drove it down just how much I don't care about either. It's not a big time commitment each week but it's still too much when your only enjoyment is the occasional Soma panel or character interactions. Dropped. Current Jump line-up of Jump is just seemingly bereft of interesting things for me. Might start the anime for Assasination Classroom cause that series did sound like something of a break in the mold and it seemingly knew when to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom