• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions announced for 3DS (October 6)

Looks like the European version of the game has boxart that echoes the original release in the west, before NoE and NoA started using the Japanese boxart from Bowser's Inside Story and onwards:
91iqy4sqSxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91uQ%2BjrKnjL._SL1500_.jpg

That's really cool!

Originals:

-shadow-

Actually really disappointed with the 2D backgrounds. Dream Team Bros. and Paper Jam Bros. looked absolutely terrific in full 3D. Should've redone it all in 3D, but that's just me.

El Odio

Banned
Hm, looking at some of the unused stuff from the GBA version it looks like the battle backgrounds, at least for the ones on Hoohoo mountain which we've seen so far, come from the full versions that largely went unseen:
360px-MLSShoohoomountain.gif

Makes me wonder if maybe we'll also get those unused cameos in the coffee shop.

This is the only one I've never played so I'll give it a shot.

Seems like they got rid of the 3D for 60fps, which is more than fine to me.

Shiggy

name-originalppuj3.jpg

Non-Spanish version of the boxart, potentially not the the final version as it doesn't mention compatibility with the 'new Nintendo 2DS XL'.

Mistle

No 3D really destroyed a lot of my interest in this :( Superstar Saga is a great game, it's original art style has so much character. I really like the 3DS artstyle also, it looks great. But I remember the 3D aspect of the artstyle really bringing DT/PJB to life. Such a bummer they couldn't implement it. I was torn on which art style I preferred, and without 3D I think i'd rather just play the original.

No 3D really destroyed a lot of my interest in this :( Superstar Saga is a great game, it's original art style has so much character. I really like the 3DS artstyle also, it looks great. But I remember the 3D aspect of the artstyle really bringing DT/PJB to life. Such a bummer they couldn't implement it. I was torn on which art style I preferred, and without 3D I think i'd rather just play the original.

From what I played back in July it still looks rather good. The 2D backgrounds almost appear painted - something they wouldn't be able to do with polygonal 3D - and the framerate is at least doubled to compensate.

Only problem is the use of 3D objects on top of the 2D backgrounds - it's way too obvious.

Superstar Saga is legit the best Mario RPG. Maybe now people who keep asking for Super Mario RPG 2 will finally play this, since that's what it is :p

Except it isn't, where are my multiple party members? Magic system? Dark tone? Equipment system? Square style battle system and Time attacks? The closest thing to SMRPG even remotely is probably the first Paper Mario or the sequel, The Thousand Year Door.

I played this when it came out originally, I hated it, it was boring and mediocre like the entire series.

To this day there has never been a proper SMRPG sequel, it hasn't happened. Mechanically, artwise, or tone wise there has not been another one like it. It was a squaresoft JRPG to its core but made using the Mario property. Honestly, it is probably one of my favorite games ever made...

Mory Dunz

Except it isn't, where are my multiple party members? Magic system? Dark tone? Equipment system? Square style battle system and Time attacks? The closest thing to SMRPG even remotely is probably the first Paper Mario or the sequel, The Thousand Year Door.

I played this when it came out originally, I hated it, it was boring and mediocre like the entire series.

To this day there has never been a proper SMRPG sequel, it hasn't happened. Mechanically, artwise, or tone wise there has not been another one like it. It was a squaresoft JRPG to its core but made using the Mario property. Honestly, it is probably one of my favorite games ever made...

literally every mario rpg post smrpg has a better art direction.

dan2026

I don't know what they have done to the music in this but it sounds horrible.
I really hope you can switch to the original sound track.

That's cool, man.

MrBadger

Gotta say I'm really not feeling the music. None of it sounds better, it either sounds serviceable or worse. Especially the final boss theme. You could do worse though. It's no Dark Brotherhood. I just had higher expectations because of how good Dream Team's music was.

I think it's funny how they make a big deal about how Bowser isn't the villain. Before the 3DS/Wii U era, there was only one RPG where he was the main villain. Suppose they want to remind everyone that this is an exception...

Crayolan

Except it isn't, where are my multiple party members?

Superstar Saga has no party members, but the first two Paper Mario games do.

Magic system?

Bros Attacks are the equivalent of magic skills in SMRPG, only more complex and more satisfying to execute.

Dark tone?

None of the mario RPGs after share a similar tone to SMRPG, yes, but it's not really a "dark" game. Dark by mario standards, I guess.

Equipment system?

Superstar Saga has equipment, in fact it has the same number of equipment slots as SMRPG.

Square style battle system and Time attacks?

Superstar Saga improved and expanded upon timed attacks. I'm not sure what you mean by "square style battle system" other than "plays like FF." Personally I see it as a good thing that the Mario RPGs became more of their own thing and less of an FF game with a Mario skin.

Artwise SMRPG is terrible lol. Maybe it looked good at release but the visuals have aged horribly.

I like SMRPG a lot too, but these are some really silly and off-base complaints. Also I'm pretty sure SS was made by former SMRPG devs.

I think the presentation is worse in general. Comparison trailer:https://youtu.be/nXIEavDUYVg?t=48

Like, it's just way less expressive :(

It's not as good as the original, but I think they did a pretty decent job recreating the over the top reactions and silly faces.

See here for a good example.

Top Bottom