• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions announced for 3DS (October 6)

I'm so conflicted... I love the original, and the new story starring goombas looks cute and funny, but god damn I hate the 3DS engine. It's so ugly, especially compared to what the original looks like.

Thank you for saying what I've been feeling about the franchise and this remake.

I want side by side comparisons

I found one someone made. GBA side blown up but yeah

C3wo0K7.jpg

Big Nikus

I've beat quite a few hard ass RPGs in my life, but I have to confess, I gave up Superstar Saga and Partners in Time because the last boss in both of these games kicked my ass pretty hard. The whole games are quite easy, and suddenly, an absurd peak in difficulty right at the end.
Actually I think I managed to beat one of these two but I don't remember which one.

Alastor3

I never played any of the Mario and Luigi RPG, which one is the best? This trailer seems really cool and I like the graphic, how is the story ? which game have the best gameplay? story?

I never played any of the Mario and Luigi RPG, which one is the best? This trailer seems really cool and I like the graphic, how is the story ? which game have the best gameplay? story?
This is the third best game ever made and as close to a flawless game as I've ever played.

Bass260

I definitely prefer the original sprites. Still, one of the best RPG's ever and will gladly pick this up. Nice little surprise.

Mutant

Somebody should photoshop the picture of the WiiU looking through the rainy window but swap it with a Switch.

But in all seriousness that does look like a great remaster. Now I don't have to put up with the GBA's washed out palette.

killroy87

Weird to me that people are complaining about the look of this yet saying Metroid looks good. That game would benefit from sprites wayyyyy more tha this. This is still generally pleasant to look at.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Oh cool, thats the only good one! All the sequels started bogging the formula down with bloat, sidescrolling or endless tutorials.
Yup agreed only one i finished.
And stupid me just kept buying the sequels in hope it would be as great xD

Th tutorials in the later games really ruined it

Looks great! I think it should be a little cheaper but if the new stuff is fun and substantial then I don't have a problem

I can't hold all these Nintendo games I want

k41m

I think this is the best entry in the series, love the humor and chaos.
It would be a shame if they lower the difficulty level.

I really hope the battle system is expanded on somehow. Superstar Saga had the best overworld, characters, and writing, but the battles are a bit too simple compared to later games which have more characters.

If they improve the battle system, this could easily be the best in the series.

I have to admit though, I'd rather have seen a remake of Paper Mario.

I've noted a lot of the new sprites are quite expressionless compared to the original.

Yeah, this is a shame. Mario and Luigi no longer dance to the beat when idle in battle, what should be a last hurrah for Alphadream pixel art feels more like release schedule filler. Especially when some enemy sprites look to be reused from Paper Jam Bros. A lot of returning main characters (Peach, Mario and Luigi, Bowser) have new sprites though due to the change in perspective in the overworld (the game's no longer in 3D, characters are now displayed from the side rather than a slight angle from the top).

Davey Cakes

I still think the original Superstar Saga is the best Mario RPG, granted I never finished any of the Paper Mario games.

SS was just perfect. I loved the "Bros" gameplay. The babies and Bowser added feelings of bloat to the battle systems in subsequent entries. More characters aren't the solution to creating more interesting and intricate battles. Controlling two characters at once during combos and when on the defensive is a fun enough mechanic on its own.

Hopefully anyone who missed out before can have a fresh experience with the remake.

sheaaaa

I've found the 2 3DS Mario & Luigi games so far to look terrible in screenshots, but in 3D, on the screen, to look really vibrant and beautiful. Hope this one continues that trend, although I can't help but want a really definitive remake on the Switch/

Shiggy

I've found the 2 3DS Mario & Luigi games so far to look terrible in screenshots, but in 3D, on the screen, to look really vibrant and beautiful. Hope this one continues that trend, although I can't help but want a really definitive remake on the Switch/

This one doesn't support the 3D feature for some reason.

Top Bottom