• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Now we've gotten to the point where Dante on the main roster is a stretch? Geez.

I guess there's a chance Vergil might be relegated to DLC but I'd be extremely surprised if Dante wasn't there at launch.

pJMXujd.jpg

I don't see Dante at launch, I do see them digging up Nina from BOF.

3 villains each side.
You don't see Dante at launch but you do for Hagger, Joe, Amy, and Jedah have better chances? :p

Dr. Worm

Banned
Asked my non-Marvel nerd girlfriend who watches all the movies which Marvel characters she likes. Her list:

Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver
Ultron
Loki
Thor
Iron Man
Winter Soldier
Captain America
Hulk
Vision
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Ms. Marvel
Rocket Raccoon
Star Lord
Gamora
Baby Groot
Drax
Dr. Strange
The Ancient One
Black Panther

if 50% of them make it in including Loki, she'll buy it

Asked my non-Marvel nerd girlfriend who watches all the movies which Marvel characters she likes. Her list:

Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver
Ultron
Loki
Thor
Iron Man
Winter Soldier
Captain America
Hulk
Vision
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Ms. Marvel
Rocket Raccoon
Star Lord
Gamora
Baby Groot
Drax
Dr. Strange
The Ancient One
Black Panther

So pretty much all of the MCU movie characters. And Ms Marvel

Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver
Ultron
Loki
Thor
Iron Man
Winter Soldier
Captain America
Hulk
Vision
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Ms. Marvel
Rocket Raccoon
Star Lord
Gamora
Baby Groot
Drax
Dr. Strange
The Ancient One
Black Panther

She has good taste.
Wait she missing Spider-Man

Zaverious

What so unbelievable about that? Everybody is convinced that DMC5 is happening and will be unveiled at E3 so what's so weird about the prospect of Capcom promoting their upcoming game by putting the main character in a cross over fighter?

Capcom has no precedent for changing a character in any other game or crossover to promote said character's future game or movie that I know of. People have been saying that DMC5 stuff for every major event for a few years now so that means nothing. There will most certainly be a Dante but he will be based on his DMC3/MVC3 moveset to reuse assets or be based on his DMC4 moveset if Nero is in the game for consistency.

I feel like there's a legitimate chance that they might not include Dante at all.

I personally think they'll include Nero instead.

Sesha

Vergil's inclusion probably depends on the roster size.

I imagine Capcom wants to get this game out pretty soon. So, the Capcom side will most likely be a rehash of what they already have available. (moveset and animation wise). So, IF they indeed want to add DMC5 Dante and/or Vergil as DMC rep, then they need more time to build them up from scratch. Hence making them DLC characters.

Though as I said, the most likely scenario is DMC3 Dante in base version and then DMC5 Vergil as DLC.

They will probably use DMC3 Dante (moveset, at least) simply because he's established and the most recognizable version of the character, and there's no better alternative currently. If this came out a year after DMC5, then they would use that version, just like they used RE5 Jill in 3.

Capcom has no precedent for changing a character in any other game or crossover to promote said character's future game or movie that I know of. People have been saying that DMC5 stuff for every major event for a few years now so that means nothing. There will most certainly be a Dante but he will be based on his DMC3/MVC3 moveset to reuse assets or be based on his DMC4 moveset if Nero is in the game for consistency.
Dante.pngpabr.png

Capcom was specifically asked for DMC Dante but they decided to use DmC one so they could promote him and the upcoming game.
(According to OG Dante's VA, who voiced DmC Dante in that game)

I feel like there's a legitimate chance that they might not include Dante at all.

I personally think they'll include Nero instead.

Why would they do that now, exactly?

DMC4 was out by the time MVC3 came out and it still had Dante in his DMC3 appearance.

Dante.pngpabr.png

Capcom was specifically asked for DMC Dante but they decided to use DmC one so they could promote him and the upcoming game.
(According to OG Dante's VA, who voiced DmC Dante in that game)

Keep in mind, PSABR was developed by Superbot Entertainment, a small time unproven newbie American studio. Of course no big third party publisher were going to put their sacred cows in that shit.

Whatever DMC character is starring in 5 will surely be in. I'm thinking at E3 we get a cinematic trailer/teaser with no gameplay that ends with MvC gameplay

I was playing UMVC3 and noticed C. Viper was in it. I had completely forgotten.
Was she popular? Did people want her in back then?

So.... Dante
One would assume but there's the odd chance it's Nero or even Vergil

I do hope Lady and Trish return but neither of their movesets scream "yeah we want this to be a DMC protagonist" as much as fun bonus characters. Lady in Marvel though? That'd be neat

JeTmAn81

I was playing UMVC3 and noticed C. Viper was in it. I had completely forgotten.
Was she popular? Did people want her in back then?

She wasn't hugely popular but had some great tournament moments over the years. MarlinPie and later FullSchedule made great use of Viper/Doom/Amaterasu.

Why would people want Venom to come back from MVC1/MVC2? His moveset is kinda flat and boring right now because there are so many characters with more interesting and unique movesets, along with newcomers potentially bring something new to the table.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy playing as Venom long time ago but I just realized how simple his moveset was when I played MVC2 again recently.

When it comes to classic MVC Venom I love how he animates. Its beautiful.

and Venom....there's so many things you could do with him

Something like X-23's l3 representing his camouflaging capabilities

a move where tons of tendrils explode out of him like this

and morphing into weapons like this

Playable Vergil is literally always re-release/DLC bait (DMC3SE, DMC4SE, DmC DLC, UMvC3), so I wouldn't be surprised to see him as DLC.

Neoxon

Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver
Ultron
Loki
Thor
Iron Man
Winter Soldier
Captain America
Hulk
Vision
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Ms. Marvel
Rocket Raccoon
Star Lord
Gamora
Baby Groot
Drax
Dr. Strange
The Ancient One
Black Panther

How does she know about Kamala?

cordy

Banned
It's seriously just hitting me that there's a whole new MvC speculation/hype cycle.

2016 wasn't so bad after all.

Tbh the speculation of MvC3 was one of the best parts of the game. Speculation for fighters like this is always great.

I'm loving what I'm seeing here.

Village

pJMXujd.jpg

I don't see Dante at launch, I do see them digging up Nina from BOF.

3 villains each side.

BOF as far as I know of has NEVER had representation in marvel. And never really has had that much reprisentation in the west in general. DMC is one of their most popular franchise in the west and IN general. They might have a new game, and they just remastered some old ones a long with putting DMC on a list of one of their most valuable franchises. And they already have his , his brother, and his weird oedipus's complex ass girlfriends model and moves.

But you don't see dante, at launch, you see breath of fire.

Can I get a hold of your drugs

I think it'd be cool to see Agent Venom rather than the old 90's Venom... he's more current, arguably looks cooler, has a lot of potential moves-wise, and fits in with the GotG.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How anyone is suggesting Dante won't be in the base game is beyond me. And Capcom has no history of introducing characters that aren't already established (eg. a DMC5 Dante).

In interviews on MVC3, it became clear that character inclusion was a really unique process for the game. Despite the all of the properties being under the Capcom umbrella, each individual production studio has to give the authorization to include a character. So in the case of Dante, Niitsuma and co needed to meet with the producer and production studio for DMC, and have a discussion about the best fit for the game. I suspect MVCI will be handled the same way, and each side will only be comfortable in using an established version of the character.

I get that people want to see their favorite franchises and characters represented, but I don't know. Seeing some of these rosters scrap big name Capcom characters like Arthur, Haggar, Dante, etc in favor of weirdo smaller obscure characters like Date Masamune or whatever kinda makes me raise my eyebrow a bit.

It's that same kind of feeling I get whenever I see someone's Smash Bros. roster which contains a whole lot smaller "no hoper" characters like Wonder Red, Starfy, Saki, Dillon, etc. The kind of characters that assist trophies are for.

Ryce

And Capcom has no history of introducing characters that aren't already established (eg. a DMC5 Dante).
Actually, Strider’s design from Marvel vs. Capcom (January 1998) is based on Strider 2, which came out in December 1999. That’s almost two years in advance.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Actually, Strider’s design from Marvel vs. Capcom (January 1998) is based on Strider 2, which came out in December 1999. That’s almost two years in advance.

Good point. Though Strider's character design wasn't owned by Capcom, so they were probably bound by how the lead artist wanted him represented?

It would be sick if for the F4 DLC they made Reed and Sue into one character and made Johnny and Ben into another so you could play with the entire F4 at once, lol

Azure J

I get that people want to see their favorite franchises and characters represented, but I don't know. Seeing some of these rosters scrap big name Capcom characters like Arthur, Haggar, Dante, etc in favor of weirdo smaller obscure characters like Date Masamune or whatever kinda makes me raise my eyebrow a bit.

It's that same kind of feeling I get whenever I see someone's Smash Bros. roster which contains a whole lot smaller "no hoper" characters like Wonder Red, Starfy, Saki, Dillon, etc. The kind of characters that assist trophies are for.

Yeah, I'm honestly kinda mind boggled about people saying things like Dante being "saved for DLC" or not base roster while also believing in some really far out picks for the inital roster. Let's be real, this is going to be a very safe roster on both sides of the spectrum. It just so happens however that if they literally grabbed everyone of the "main" faces from the previous title (UMVC3), Capcom would already be starting off from a pretty good position, never mind any future DLC campaigns.

This is all coming from someone who adores seeing the "in-betweeners", "no-hopers" and smaller franchise faces from both Capcom and Nintendo mind you (bringing this up because the parallels to Smash rostering are real and I'm glad you mentioned as much).

J-Tier

The final boss has to be Thanos with all of the Infinity Stones right?

I know there was the Ultron/Sigma fusion tease...but the whole theme of the game centers around the Infinity Stones.

What do you guys think? And if Thanos is the final boss, what role does Ultron/Sigma play then? Sub-boss?

The final boss has to be Thanos with all of the Infinity Stones right?

I know there was the Ultron/Sigma fusion tease...but the whole theme of the game centers around the Infinity Stones.

What do you guys think? And if Thanos is the final boss, what role does Ultron/Sigma play then? Sub-boss?

The entire basis of the game is the mesh between Capcom and Marvel. The final boss won't be exclusively from one side or the other.

In all fairness, the MvC/Strider 2 design is more or less his design from the 80s manga.

I always figured the game even existed in the first place because of Strider's popularity in Marvel, kinda like how Pit's appearance in SSBB led us to Kid Icarus Uprising.

Top Bottom