• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Gameplay/Pre-Launch Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dahbomb does what Capcomdont? :eek:

I missed the original apparently, that's super impressive and helpful, thank you for the effort.

NEO0MJ

So how is Nemesis in this game? Curious how the big guy performs here.

If Meio is my least wanted Strider villain, Hien is probably second to him. So many better options unless they combined the 2014 Strider moveset and Strider 2's Hien into a single character.

I don't have much info on the series so can you show me some examples? Isn't Meio the big bad?

FSLink

Banned
Thank you! And Dahbomb too. Awaiting further theorycrafting from him.

Edit: Oh yeah, just remembered. So I know that you can't chip kill with normals and spacials but can you chip kill using a gem storm, mainly reality?

From what I've seen in vids, no.

OlafRedland on Twitter also has a Google Doc with a lot of character specific stuff:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16KLreX4v30LAESkprWXYy7OYMC0ZxeoDomPBvHxOfnw/edit

Iron Man <3 Those combos look great.

can all flying characters do those? I've never seen Dormmamu do one of those combos for example (In 3 that is)

In 3, no, but in Infinite, yes. In 3 it was mostly Magneto and Storm that could do fly x H x dash x H x etc stuff.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would only buy characters in a bundle. Having an uneven CSS in a versus game would drive me nuts.

That's probably why I'm going with the Season Passes since I can't stand to not have a complete roster and I always like to give every characters a try to see if I actually prefer them in term of gameplay and team synergy.

FSLink

Banned
That's probably why I'm going with the Season Passes since I can't stand to not have a complete roster and I always like to give every characters a try to see if I actually prefer them in term of gameplay and team synergy.

Yeah. I also like learning new characters in general (see my tournament Smash 4 lineup of characters, Mahvel teams).

Though it's amusing seeing people like in the Injustice 2 community complain about the silhouettes on its character screen. It's like...duh the devs/publishers know it bothers people and results in some people buy the characters.

EDIT:

Not sure if this was posted here but Marvel did an unboxing of the Collector's Edition on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Marvel/videos/10155541975787488/

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I don't have much info on the series so can you show me some examples? Isn't Meio the big bad?
He is the big bad but he's such a nothing design, imo. Solo or one of the Pooh sisters (probably Tong) would way more interesting.
EDIT:

Not sure if this was posted here but Marvel did an unboxing of the Collector's Edition on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Marvel/videos/10155541975787488/
It was posted before, but let me say: that is not great. The fact that you can't even take the stones out of the box makes it not worth.

Coda

Not sure why he wouldn't be allowed to cancel out of Dark Matter especially since they gave that ability to Heartless Spire AND Flame Carpet. Though with this game you can't really assume anything LOL!

And yeah I just saw that swipe move again in the trailer, it is definitely not 0C0D. There was a point where he does that swipe and then afterwards goes into 3C.

Anyway I just updated the mechanics summary for the game with the new information:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JomswsMlq1Pjd0v6KT_SnAoPbuMydEaCSR_Eou9lhSA/edit?usp=sharing

Stuff that was added from last time:

*Free LVL3 during Storm activation if you press Easy Hyper combo input.

*The chip damage scaling mechanic.

*Character incoming situation.

*Mind and Soul stones added.

*Super armor in general.

*"Guts" system ie. characters have increased defenses when at lower HP. This isn't really confirmed yet so I made a mention of that fact.

Probably a couple more things, if you read this a while back then it's a good idea to read it again now.

The hype for Marvel 3 was through the roof compared to this game. It's not even in the same stratosphere. People definitely complained about the visuals, only saw complaints from people who wanted sprites back.

Game play complaints about Marvel 3 came after the game's release, not while it was at trade shows.

Thanks for updating your guide, it will def be helpful when the game launches and I can have it on my phone if I need to check something.

NEO0MJ

From what I've seen in vids, no.

OlafRedland on Twitter also has a Google Doc with a lot of character specific stuff:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16KLreX4v30LAESkprWXYy7OYMC0ZxeoDomPBvHxOfnw/edit

Thanks for the info. More than the others Reality felt a bit like a super so I was curious.

Wow, man. The statues look like action figures and the stones look like easter eggs. They wanted $200 for that. Incredible.

As far as video game statues go they're not that bad. Infinity Gems look sad, though.

He is the big bad but he's such a nothing design, imo. Solo or one of the Pooh sisters (probably Tong) would way more interesting.

Those do look like more interesting designs than not-Darth Sidious.

Giga Man

They didn't show off the figures very well. Couldn't even see the front of Chun-Li. They look good from a distance, but I want a detailed close-up. The infinity gems look like they have patterns inside of them, but other than that, the stones are pretty awfully made. Also, there was no game in there. That was pretty weird. It does come with the game, right?

Coda

Has their been any word of an official guide coming out near launch? I usually never buy them for fighting games because of how quickly outdated they become but I'd kind of be interested in getting it for this game.

Jawmuncher

Has their been any word of an official guide coming out near launch? I usually never buy them for fighting games because of how quickly outdated they become but I'd kind of be interested in getting it for this game.

If it's like RE7 there won't be a strategy guide. Actually as of late capcom doesn't seem to be supplying companies with any chance to make guides.

There's no guides for
RE7
Monster Hunter Stories
Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite

I wonder what the reasoning is.

Coda

If it's like RE7 there won't be a strategy guide. Actually as of late capcom doesn't seem to be supplying companies with any chance to make guides.

There's no guides for
RE7
Monster Hunter Stories

Hmm yeah that's strange. I guess they assume people just get all their information online these days. For me and certain games it's great having a physical and nice looking guide with pictures instead of squinting and looking at tiny text on my phone.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm surprised game guides still exist in the age of the internet.

I guess the only thing keeping them alive is wiki sites universally running like garbage and doubly so on mobile.

Jawmuncher

I guess the only thing keeping them alive is wiki sites universally running like garbage and doubly so on mobile.

The main thing running guide sales these days are just collectors and super fans. Any big title always has a CE version with extra stuff.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

There's no guides for
RE7
Monster Hunter Stories

Guides cost money to produce.

Actually was their last book/guide REv2 Ultimania? And that was a Square-Enix production...

Also, guides normally have numbers and stats directly from the development team, which many times fans can only guess and approximate.

DR2K

Banned

There's no guides for
RE7
Monster Hunter Stories

Cost money to make guides and Capcom can't afford paper.

Sesha

For companies making them, guides are merch. Value-wise they look good on a shelf, are printed on high quality paper, often have high quality art work, and might have art or info that's not readily available. There's also the feel of physically holding a book and looking it as opposed to looking something up online. And like was said above, super fans buy them.

Capcom not making guides of major titles is at odds with their "single content, multiple uses" strategy

Dahbomb

Has anyone verified that normals do chip damage against air borne opponents?

I heard this from somewhere, not sure if it's true.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, guides normally have numbers and stats directly from the development team, which many times fans can only guess and approximate.
Pretty sure, like what happened with MvC3, a group of people working on the game are given an early build to then test themselves for frame data, as development is still ongoing. There's often inaccuracies because stuff changes as the guide is being prepped and the game is being tuned simultaneously for release. So it's often outdated even if most of it is accurate, and so kind of trust fan data ripped from game files after launch more (and also updated).

Also sucks that, at least to my knowledge, spreadsheet viewing on mobile sucks as well unless you have a large phone.

Well, he is the main villain but his lackeys have much more to them. Hes....kinda generic? He's a Darth Sidious lookalike who isn't really given much personality (besides an awesome laugh) He's got the potential for a really unique playstyle though.

and Hien is fine but if we were going for a second Strider rep I'd rather it not be another Strider. He could be cool though and there's quite a lot to work with for a moveset considering his Geometrical Cypher.
http://strider.wikia.com/wiki/Geometrical_Cypher

...Okay, thinking about it, Hien wouldn't be that awful a choice. I didn't know he could do all that

My personal choice would be Solo. I like him and he has such a great variety of weapons that he'd be fun to play with

the Pooh Sisters could be a great choice too, you could have all of them as the 4 color swaps right there
a hyper could have all of them working together on-screen at once
maxresdefault.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the...poo sisters?

also much like a symbiote would, I see the Venom avatars are spreading :3

Dahbomb

I CAN CONFIRM THAT NORMALS DO CHIP DAMAGE ON AIRBORNE ENEMIES!

At least from the Gamescom build. This makes someone like Ghost Rider and Nemesis a lot better.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
the...poo sisters?

also much like a symbiote would, I see the Venom avatars are spreading :3

Yes, the Pooh sisters. (I guess in Chinese it'd be the Feng sisters?)

Tong Pooh was even an assist in MvC. For some reason she has more appearances outside the Strider series than any other character that isn't Hiryu himself.

Jawmuncher

Yes, the Pooh sisters. (I guess in Chinese it'd be the Feng sisters?)

Tong Pooh was even an assist in MvC. For some reason she has more appearances outside the Strider series than any other character that isn't Hiryu himself.

A lot of the capcom games seem to do that. Where a side character of some sort gets a lot of time. Devilotte is like that as well.

the...poo sisters?

If I'm reading this right, the Kuniang sisters are named after the four winds? I don't know so I'm going from a wiki

Nang Pooh-South Wind
Sai Pooh-West Wind
Pei or Bei Pooh-North Wind
Tong Pooh-East Wind

Also, Strider Names
Hiryu-Flying Dragon,
Hien-Flying Swallow

In the original games they were Meio's elite team of martial artists.
But the 2014 Reboot gave them unique weapons. Maybe they could function sort of like complete change Ryu where you play as Tong but you can use a bar to change to the other 3 sister's weapons or something.

Jawmuncher

Saki has more crossovers than Regina, Gene and BoF folks.

A lot of these sort of things start to come across there being fanboys in higher spots that can pull such strings. Though I can't talk too much since if I worked at capcom i'd do the same thing if I was able to.

Sesha

A lot of these sort of things start to come across there being fanboys in higher spots that can pull such strings. Though I can't talk too much since if I worked at capcom i'd do the same thing if I was able to.

I read that is "I can't talk too much since I worked at Capcom".

I would too, for the record. Regina, Ryu, Nina, Garr, Fou-Lu, Myria, Akira, Simone, the girls from Gaia Master, Kenji/Mukuro, Pink Ostrich, Victor Ortega, and Moriah the thief from Mystara would be everywhere if I had a say.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
If I'm reading this right, the Kuniang sisters are named after the four winds? I don't know so I'm going from a wiki

Nang Pooh-South Wind
Sai Pooh-West Wind
Tong Pooh-East Wind

Also, Strider Names
Hiryu-Flying Dragon,
Hien-Flying Swallow

But the 2014 Reboot gave them unique weapons. Maybe they could function sort of like complete change Ryu where you play as Tong but you can use a bar to change to the other 3 sister's weapons or something.

That's mostly accurate, but there's only ever 3 sisters. Sai never exists at the same time as Nang and they're mostly the same character (youngest sister, wears blue). In 2014's Strider, they have a teacher, Xia Wang Mu that counts as the 'Western' wind, so Sai is replaced by Nang.

Wait that makes no sense. I thought aerial opponents couldn't block physical grounded attacks anyway.

???
Why wouldn't they?

kirblar

Wait that makes no sense. I thought aerial opponents couldn't block physical grounded attacks anyway.
That's never been the case in Marvel, you can block anything airborne.

This of course devalues overheads and lows, so the devs have put in multiple penalties for attempting to jump and chicken block in the air. One is the chip damage, another is that your delay until you'r pre-jump frames are finished and you're able to air-block is longer than in MvC3, so you risk opening yourself up with a jump in more situations.

VariantX

Nang Pooh-South Wind
Sai Pooh-West Wind
Tong Pooh-East Wind

Also, Strider Names
Hiryu-Flying Dragon,
Hien-Flying Swallow

The mother/master had that mechanic, she had all of the sister's weapons + extra shit.

shaowebb

Lol. That guts system mechanic is straight up Arcana Heart as well. Somebody at Capcom knows whats up. Gems are essentially lite versions of Arcanas, and now Guts is in play to reduce damage as your health is lower.

Plus DBFZ nabbed and even evolved the homing dashes. Glad to see the tag fighters catch up to the stuff Examu has had since the onset that helped make them so crazy and exciting. Those are mechanics that straight up NEEDED to happen more often in this genre. They're amazing.

That's mostly accurate, but there's only ever 3 sisters. Sai never exists at the same time as Nang and they're mostly the same character (youngest sister, wears blue). In 2014's Strider, they have a teacher, Xia Wang Mu that counts as the 'Western' wind, so Sai is replaced by Nang.

Yeah, I knew there were only 3 at a time but I forgot which 3. And I wanted to list them all.

The mother/master had that mechanic, she had all of the sister's weapons + extra shit.

I'd like to see Xi because of that.Tong is just used the most, so I'd expect if were to get one of them, it'd be Tong

kirblar

Lol. That guts system mechanic is straight up Arcana Heart as well. Somebody at Capcom knows whats up. Gems are essentially lite versions of Arcanas, and now Guts is in play to reduce damage as your health is lower.

Plus DBFZ nabbed and even evolved the homing dashes. Glad to see the tag fighters catch up to the stuff Examu has had since the onset that helped make them so crazy and exciting. Those are mechanics that straight up NEEDED to happen more often in this genre. They're amazing.
Is this the first time MvC has had damage scaling like that? SFV/SF4 both have it.

Dahbomb

Alright it's that time again.

Time for some more theory craft team ideas.

This one is very thematically appropriate. Last one was kinda thematic too with the two characters having long limbs but this one is more so.

Firebrand + Arthur + Mind (Power stone as secondary option)

Now I know what you are thinking, you are probably like "oh wow, two GnG characters on a team, how original!!!" I mean sure thematically it's kinda obvious but I feel this particular team has some synergy and pair up well with the Mind Stone.

I think most people consider Firebrand a good character from Marvel 3 and Arthur a low tier character but with good assists. Certainly you could even play this duo in Marvel 3 and do fine at lower levels of play as Firebrand is a decent to good point character and Arthur is a good anchor, then you just needed someone in the middle to round out the team.

Let's start with how these two characters have changed although we have limited information on both of them:

*Arthur - The biggest change to him is that he has a ground dash. This transforms him completely. Now he can actually move away from opponents or even rush them down a bit with his fast overheads. The other big change to him is that his Gold Armor break is an invulnerable state and he CANNOT be OTG'd during it. So no more getting punished into a full combo for Gold Armor expiration though it will give enough time for them to get in and set you up but we still have Tag system for something like that. And finally, Arthur is just faster all around in terms of his projectiles and mechanics like the DUD just help him out a lot.

*Firebrand - We don't know if the unblockable is still in the game and I am just going to assume it isn't because paired with the tag system it would clearly be too busted. He might still have a good overhead game without Luminous body or he might not, I am going to assume that he can somewhat mix people up high low if they are locked down (since most characters can). His H fireball projectile now goes up and comes back down in a parabolic form. He has a new tornado move that seems to be good for controlling space and you can throw a fireball into it to create a giant flame pillar. The Tornado is also useful for combos and potentially good as a pressure set up for tags. Aside from these he doesn't appear to be changed too much although he does have a new cinematic LVL3.

Now let's talk about how the new system mechanics benefit both of these characters.

*Tag system means that moves like the charged Hell Swoop, Bon Voyage, the new Tornado/Flame Pillar and the parabolic fireball (or even air fireballs) are now usable as psuedo assists which means that Firebrand is no longer a point only character with garbage assists. The fact that Firebrand is mostly an airborne characters helps a lot with this as in Marvel 3 he could only use his ground moves as assists. Arthur was already a great support character and now he will be an even better support character because he can use aerial Crossbows or his Trident for tag set ups. DHCs shouldn't be a problem either as Firebrand can just get in position after the Bracelet super of Arthur.. only issue I see for DHCs is if Firebrand does his Flame super at super jump height then Arthur cannot really super jump and do Bracelet super as it's not air ok (but his LVL3 should work). Firebrand already worked well off of Arthur's Daggers in Marvel 3 and now he has more tools to use with Arthur where as now Arthur can use some of Firebrand's tools as well. Finally, Arthur's get off me tools are now much more effective with a tag system as they can be made safe (his Heavenly Slash and counter moves specifically).

*Universal OTG system helps out Firebrand a lot as he has limited OTG capability and same for Arthur. Firebrand usually relied mostly on his ground and wall bounces to do damage so it wasn't a big issue for him but for Arthur it's a big deal.

*DUD jumps are massive for both characters. It helps out with their zoning and their mix ups. DUD jumps are particularly effective on smaller characters and both of these are small characters meaning that Firebrand and Arthur can force overheads with the DUD jump. Arthur can also make great use of DUD jump for his zoning as his regular jumps are floaty as hell. This allows him to keep low to the ground while changing the angles and lines of his projectiles.

*Advance guard kinda hurts both of these characters quite a bit because they both rely on singular hitting projectiles for their zoning/offense and it can get easily reflected back. Firebrand is less affected because he doesn't lean as heavy on his fireball game.

*Lowered chip damage and chip scaling hurts Arthur mostly especially the chip on his Bracelet super. No chip kill without hypers also hurts Arthur as he can't effectively get the final hit and he has to rely on chip kills heavily. Firebrand isn't too bothered by lowered chip as he didn't have a big chip component to his game plan. However, normals chipping against air borne enemies helps out Firebrand a lot as he is often in those types of situations where he is pressuring enemies trying to chicken jump him. It should be noted that if Arthur tosses multiple projectiles then only the last projectile can be reflected back, if they reflect an earlier projectile then it just negates the last projectile instead of reflecting it back.

Now let's talk about how the Mind Stone helps these characters and why I chose it over the others (Power Stone is a good secondary option for both and might even be better in the long term):

Mind Surge: Neither characters has a command grab and for someone like Firebrand this is very useful as he can use it both in the air or on the ground to augment his mix up game. Players are rarely looking for a command grab from these characters which makes it a bigger threat. Arthur can also use this if someone is too close to him and then it sort of doubles as a get off me move if you get the read right. If you whiff the command grab then you can just tag into Firebrand and try to command grab again although a happy birthday situation might occur so you would have to calculate your decision appropriately.

Mind Storm: This is where things get interesting. Both of these characters can be very meter hungry. Firebrand has TWO install hypers, a LVL1 version and a LVL3. This makes Firebrand among the most effective characters at dumping meter even if his LVL3 install hyper might not be too good. At 4 bars Firebrand can burn all 4 bars instantly and then recover it all back with the Mind Storm within seconds. This makes Firebrand particularly powerful with the Mind Storm unlike other characters in the game.

Arthur has a very powerful Gold Armor install hyper that buffs the durability, hit stun and damage on his projectiles, making the other universal mechanics in the game less effective (there is rumor that Arthur's Gold projectiles cannot be reflected back as they could as "High" durability projectiles). But he can also spam meter on his Goddess Bracelet hyper. This is less effective in this game on block but is still good to punish tags and get two characters in or to set up mix ups for Firebrand. In addition, Arthur also has a LVL3 that is NOT a cinematic which means he can throw it out if he has meter to burn and not get punished for it. His LVL3 is also a great tag set up for Firebrand although very expensive. With the Mind Stone Storm ability, you can make use of all these meter options of Arthur and combine with Firebrand's for some devastating results.

Power Surge: Power surge acts like another get off me option for both Firebrand and Arthur. It also gives someone like Arthur more combo options as he lacks a wall bounce himself. The surge is nice for both but not the main reason why you would want to use this gem for them both.

Power Storm: Firebrand is already a very pressure heavy character and with the Power stone's advance guard negation he would become a monster with it especially when combined with Luminous body. Arthur has limited ways to stick to his enemy but with the Power stone he would be able to do so. Both characters benefit greatly from the Power Storm and Arthur's zoning game becomes very powerful with the Power Storm too as you get more chip damage and way more damage on hit if you land hits. However, unlike the Mind stone you would have to be more conservative with your meter when using Power stone in general.

Synergies:

Now that we have talked about how these characters work with the mechanics of the game individually, let's talk about how they work together.

Every time Arthur makes the opponent block his projectiles on the ground even if he himself is in the air, it's an incoming mix up opportunity for Firebrand via tags. If Arthur lands a hit with a projectile, Firebrand can get in quick with Bon Voyage for a combo confirm.

This work in the opposite direction time too. Every time Firebrand makes the opponent block his swoops, Bon Voyage, demon missiles, fireballs, tornado or his flame carpet type move... it's a mix up opportunity for Arthur because he has a scary instant overhead game. And because they both have the Mind stone, they both have the command grab option on top of this.

Arthur's Heavenly Slash and counter can be tagged into Firebrand to better get combos off them (though Arthur can do it solo too, this just provides an extra layer of safety on it).

Firebrand's projectiles aren't very threatening but if he is close to landing a fireball he can tag and Arthur can throw more projectiles or even do his Bracelet super to confirm from full screen away. This is not going to be that common but it's a tool that Firebrand has available to him which is getting damage from long ranged fireballs if he can predict it.

In Mind Storm, Firebrand becomes a god mode type character activating both Luminous body and his helper super to pressure the opponent and gain neutral advantage. Because of this stone, both Firebrand and Arthur can play more freely with their meter even though other characters have to play far conservatively with their meter. That means more mix up opportunities for Firebrand via Bracelet hyper. Arthur himself can burn a lot of the meter given to him by the Mind stone ability. Let's not forget about the free LVL3 that you can get from the Stone activation so even after burning close to 7 meters, Firebrand can still tack on a cinematic LVL3 at the end or Arthur can burn his LVL3 if a hit wasn't landed.

Again this is not some top tier, meta breaking team. This is just a for fun team with some cool stuff to them. This team is significantly harder to pilot than the other team I posted and you will be taking a lot of losses online with this because it features two relatively low damage, low HP characters with a significant learning curve especially for Firebrand. But this team also has a higher ceiling you can reach because you would actually have to learn how to control Firebrand's LVL3 because you are going to have a lot of opportunities to actually use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom