• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Nyx

Just finished the season, liked it very much but felt the Punisher arc was a lot more interesting than the Elektra etc. one.

Anyway, can't wait for more!

Just finished season 2. Amazing. No filler, and it even managed to close some loopholes from season 1.

Someone mentioned the ninja fights being cheesy after a while, and I agree, but only because Daredevil
rode the "no killing" mantra for far too many stops. It was fine with lowlife thugs but after all the escalation he saw and with his enemies becoming increasingly savage and resourceful, not to mention personally witnessing how far the corruption in the city ran, it made absolutely no sense. Daredevil actually hatched a plan to have Nobu arrested?! Come on.

As for the Karen thing, I thought her reaction made perfect sense.
She had NO idea what Matt's deal was, so when she saw Stick and Elektra she wasn't exactly going to hang around for answers.

Punisher was sublime.
They managed to make him a massive threat but didn't ride his initial killing spree far past its logical conclusion. I love that Punisher admonished Matt and told him that stepping over that kill line was a one way trip. Matt was fooling himself by that point.

And Fisk? Amazing.

Moaradin

Finished it last night. The last couple episodes kinda fizzled out for me, but overall this season was fantastic and better than the first one.

sobaka770

Banned
Finished watching yesterday:
- All the Punisher stuff is sublime. He could've been the only character joining the season and it would've been awesome.
- Elektra is sexy. Unfortunately, that's all she has going for her. She's also very annoying, her plot is simply not very good, her interaction with Daredevil are not organic and the whole conflict drags down the ending a bit. She also introduces the supernatural element which is really not needed here, the whole coolness was from the grit and realism of the whole show, not from beating down on ninjas.
- Returning cast is all awesome, Foggy could use a bit more time in the final episodes to lighten up things a little. Karen is probably the brightest spot with perfect mix of determination, sweetness and simply being relatable.

Overall, S2 has just a bit more going for it than the first one. The stakes are higher and the Punisher arc and character are incredible. We even got some more Kingpin action, which is always a winner.

However, I would like to point out that some things really didn't work out this time and need to be addressed in Season 3, unless the series devolves into Arrow territory:

- No need for more heroes. All the superhero TV series make the mistake of introducing more and more cast members who get powers and it makes the whole thing silly. We have Daredevil, Punisher and Elektra and already some of the characterisation feels rushed. I think there's a lot more that can be done without adding more stuff, look how silly it is on Arrow/Flash now (the Oprah Winfrey approach to inserting heroes: you get a power, you too, and you too put the mask on).

- Elektra needs a spank... adjustments. Her plot goes into mysticism way too fast with terrible exposition. All of this straight after the brutality and realism of the Punisher ark is jarring and out of place. Tread carefully as Daredevil is Marvel's most grounded show, which is part of its appeal. Her interactions with Matt are monotone, sometimes poorly motivated and need nuance. I think the actress does a fine job but dial down the character a bit and the whole magic arc.

Seriously ending spoilers:
I don't really buy Matt and Elektra romance over Karen. They are never shown to really click, in any of the (non-sex) scenes together instead it is told to us through dialogue. I hope she just turns evil after her resurrection and we're done with this weird love triangle.

Tom Nook

Microchip is a dude that helps Frank with weapons and tech in the comics

When Frank dragged the Colonel into the shack house to kill him, it was filled with weapons and armor. Did Frank knew about the place or was it a coincidence he happen to found a random shack with these weapons?

Kin5290

When Frank dragged the Colonel into the shack house to kill him, it was filled with weapons and armor. Did Frank knew about the place or was it a coincidence he happen to found a random shack with these weapons?
It was
maybe the Colonel's place? Which begs the question of what happens when the family the Colonel was talking about to Karen comes back and he's disappeared.

cacildo

Up to episode 9

"Meh..."

I cant believe how they are able to make a fight of daredevil vs. Ninjas from the hand(?*) so boring

In fact all the fights are boring. Even the sound effects are boring

*in the brasilian comics in the 80s it was called "O tentaculo" which translates to "the tentacle". I think i heard the english name is "The hand" but to be fair the show is getting so boring its hard to pay attention

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah you know he wins most of the fights anyway, it feels like some obligatory window dressing at this point. The interactions with Punisher and Elektra themselves are much more interesting.

cacildo

Me and my wife are taking the local holiday to watch this

But really, its so boring i cant even pay attention anymore

Its funny to think of all the daredevil comics i own and how they made something so bland with the show i just dont care

What is the problem? Could it be that,like jessica jones, that it drags itself for too long? Is that what is to blame here?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Jesus christ the perspective from EP.11

When Castle and Page are in the diner and he was saying "boohoo about you and what you feel, id give my left arm to have my old lady tear my heart out again, she wouldnt tear it out she would rip it out, stomp on it and feed it to the dogs. And i cant feel that ever again"

God damn that hit me hard, being in a relationship I can deff see how even things like that that make your life difficult you would miss. Great speech and perspective, they really nailed the punisher here.

hamchan

Last episode time. I've enjoyed this season as much as the first one. Really good Punisher s1/Daredevil s2.

Marvel Netflix stays quality.

TheFlow

Banned
Elektra and daredevils chemistry is just perfect in this show. I am glad the writers understand why DD and elektra can never happen even though they both love each other

Holy shit. Episode 9 just proved to me that Bernthal is the perfect Punisher.
That prison hallway scene was amazingly brutal.

But could someone answer
why Karen started crying when she opened the folder Ben left for her in his office?

Holy shit. Episode 9 just proved to me that Bernthal is the perfect Punisher.
That prison hallway scene was amazingly brutal.

But could someone answer
why Karen started crying when she opened the folder Ben left for her in his office?

EPISODE 9 SPOILERS IN CASE NO ONE READS THE QUOTED TEXT

It was
a file on Karen herself, detailing her fucked up past.

diaspora

Incredibly hot woman asks him to sleep with her twice which he's known for a while and enjoys her personality as well, I say no because I like what we have. And I want to only sleep with her
one night before a certain assassin shoves something in her chest and kills her. That cheesy ass writing.....

I feel like he can't see the obvious here...

No kidding

I think the writers did a good job of weaving between Elektra and Punisher storylines.

Although, Punisher stuff was so good, it really overshadowed Elektra.

And all this talk about Blacksmith, Blacksmith. I was hoping blacksmith would be Bullseye.

Finished watching yesterday:
- All the Punisher stuff is sublime. He could've been the only character joining the season and it would've been awesome.
- Elektra is sexy. Unfortunately, that's all she has going for her. She's also very annoying, her plot is simply not very good, her interaction with Daredevil are not organic and the whole conflict drags down the ending a bit. She also introduces the supernatural element which is really not needed here, the whole coolness was from the grit and realism of the whole show, not from beating down on ninjas.
- Returning cast is all awesome, Foggy could use a bit more time in the final episodes to lighten up things a little. Karen is probably the brightest spot with perfect mix of determination, sweetness and simply being relatable.

Overall, S2 has just a bit more going for it than the first one. The stakes are higher and the Punisher arc and character are incredible. We even got some more Kingpin action, which is always a winner.

However, I would like to point out that some things really didn't work out this time and need to be addressed in Season 3, unless the series devolves into Arrow territory:

- No need for more heroes. All the superhero TV series make the mistake of introducing more and more cast members who get powers and it makes the whole thing silly. We have Daredevil, Punisher and Elektra and already some of the characterisation feels rushed. I think there's a lot more that can be done without adding more stuff, look how silly it is on Arrow/Flash now (the Oprah Winfrey approach to inserting heroes: you get a power, you too, and you too put the mask on).

- Elektra needs a spank... adjustments. Her plot goes into mysticism way too fast with terrible exposition. All of this straight after the brutality and realism of the Punisher ark is jarring and out of place. Tread carefully as Daredevil is Marvel's most grounded show, which is part of its appeal. Her interactions with Matt are monotone, sometimes poorly motivated and need nuance. I think the actress does a fine job but dial down the character a bit and the whole magic arc.

Seriously ending spoilers:
I don't really buy Matt and Elektra romance over Karen. They are never shown to really click, in any of the (non-sex) scenes together instead it is told to us through dialogue. I hope she just turns evil after her resurrection and we're done with this weird love triangle.

This post I agree with.

TheFlow

Banned
The hand/ninjas have always been around in daredevil comics. Hell the hand are in the recent issue of daredevil. The show just gotta do a better job of writing the supernatural stuff so it doesn't seem tacked on

cacildo

Everybody i see talking about this season 2 on twitter is like "eh it was.... eh... well.... eh..."

My guess is that with just a little time people will be more open to say it sucked

I expect the same as happened with jessica jones:

first reactions "PERFECT!!!"
A few weeks later "it felt kinda too long and slow and the plot kinda had a lot of holes..."

(To be fair this season 2 of daredevil is so boring im liking Jessica Jones more now)

Just finished season 2.

Foggy
is an insufferable cry baby. He is like Stuart Smalley. He's good enough, smart enough, but god damn he annoys me.

Karen
a little too emotional at time for me, but pretty good over all.

Matt/Dare Devil
a little too over acted at times, but good.

Elektra
...ehh

Stick
great

Kingpin
Not enough for me

Punisher/John Bernthal
Fucking genius casting. He played the part so well.

This season was brutal. I'm so glad Netflix is doing this series and not playing it safe.

Specific late season spoiler.

Nobu? getting decapitated by Stick was soooo good.

Episode 2 & 3

Man, I missed these dope ass fights. (That biker gang one yo. Gotdamn amazing!) And it's awesome seeing Foggy being....awesome. Love how he told the DA what's up and the hospital bit. Also, I'm liking Frank a lot more than Matt at the moment.

Everybody i see talking about this season 2 on twitter is like "eh it was.... eh... well.... eh..."

My guess is that with just a little time people will be more open to say it sucked

A few weeks later "it felt kinda too long and slow and the plot kinda had a lot of holes..."

(To be fair this season 2 of daredevil is so boring im liking Jessica Jones more now)

I think you are projecting...

Anyway I thought the punisher parts of this season were top tier television. The rest was decent-good but Jon Bernthal just killed it.

Donos

only last EP to go. Overall enjoyed it. Elektra is ok. But that woman is Kate Moss thin. Not the best cast. Foggy made some progress from silly goof to a bit more of a guy i can respect. Matt really left him hanging a couple times.

New suit is very good.
They improved the shitty parts (cheek cover) and i like the red eyes.

What i don't like is the inconsistency of Matts hearing ability. Sometimes he hears people 3 stories further down through concrete or what is inside a drawer but then he doesn't hear other things. Like a Ninja right beside him stepping into/out of water which certainly makes noises.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I still rank Jessica Jones highly because, for all its faults, it tried something that no other superhero property has tried. I'd rather they try something new and fail in a fascinating way than try the same shit and succeed in a mundane way.

erawsd

Am I the only one that liked Season 1 more? Season 2 felt too slow.

I agree with you. I still enjoyed S2 but it started to feel a bit messy toward the end and overall I thought the fight scenes were weaker. They should probably cut the seasons down to 10 episodes. Particularly,
all the stuff with Electra and Hand was really lame and I found myself wanting to just fast forward through a lot of it. They should have just focused on the Punisher story thread for the whole season and saved her for s3.

spekkeh

Banned

I'm at episode 9. Even if the remaining five episodes are only about Foggy and Karen getting distracted by a bee and ninjas farcically throwing their feces at Daredevil so he can't smell them, it's still miles better than Jessica Jones.

Poyunch

While I feel the stronger parts of Season 1 beat the stronger parts of Season 2, Season 2 feels way more consistent and for that it's already more enjoyable for me.

Top Bottom