• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Though I enjoy the show a lot, I should probably be watching something else, as I must be one of the few here that
can't stand Daredevil/Murdock at all. Electra and Punisher were far better characters, they were both more fun as super/antiheroes and as humans. Daredevil is a hypocrite, an asshole, ineffective as a superhero, and such a fucking bore.

Episode 8

This group of ninjas running through the streets and across rooftops is funny to me. It just looks so goofy.

Awww snap. He's back! Wonder what Fisk wants.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm at episode 9. Even if the remaining five episodes are only about Foggy and Karen getting distracted by a bee and ninjas farcically throwing their feces at Daredevil so he can't smell them, it's still miles better than Jessica Jones.
Miles? Lol take a seat

NotLiquid

Episode 9

I love how Punisher just doesn't take any of Fisk's shit. He looks so pathetic being knocked down a peg like this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Where's my S3 / Punisher announcement Netflix?

woolley

Finished yesterday, really liked the season but I think the season could of probably been better without Elektra. She didn't really add anything to the show and might be the worst casting in the MCU for me.

TheFlow

Banned
Finished yesterday, really liked the season but I think the season could of probably been better without Elektra. She didn't really add anything to the show and might be the worst casting in the MCU for me.
Agreed except for casting. That casting is perfection.

Just finished this tonight, some thoughts and spoilers:

Pros

• Punisher.
  • Elektra.
  • Excellent pacing throughout.
  • Interesting discussion on
    vigilante ethics regarding killing. (namely the scene where the punisher explains his point of view to a chained up Matt).

Cons

• Last episode goes down with a bit of a fizzle.
  • It gave a slightly unsatisfying conclusion to the Hand storyline.
  • Some of the action was a bit off.
  • Didnt quite tie together in the end.
    The first 4 episodes kinda deal with the punisher, then he is in hospital and it introduces elektra just as Matt thinks his problems have been sorted. The plot shifts towards the hand/chaste, whilst the punishers story runs kinda in parallel, but they don't quite join up in the end in a satisfying way. The build up to the last episode and when Punisher gets his costume was awesome, I was thinking he was gonna come in and start helping Matt by mowing down ninjas with his minigun, but he just kinda pops a couple of shots on a distant rooftop. It wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped.

Overall though it was a pretty solid 9/10 for me.

KingK

I actually liked Elektra, both the character and the actress. I just think the way they handled her in the plot was sloppy. It was really the whole
Hand
element that fell a little flat.

I still really enjoyed the season overall. I'd give it a 7 or 8. Season 1 is better though.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I don't know why everyone thinks Punisher was so great, he was okay. Elektra is the standout of the season imo.

Show still has major pacing issues, it's straight up boring at times and Foggy gets WAY too much screen time.

NotLiquid

Episode 10

Fucking hell I thought that Season 1 was already ballsy enough by Marvel standards but this is reaching entirely new levels of fucked up I didn't see possible.

Ashby

Does Daredevil have as strict of a no-killing policy in the comics? Feels like I never heard about this aspect of the character until the tv show.

Ezalc

I don't know why everyone thinks Punisher was so great, he was okay. Elektra is the standout of the season imo.

Show still has major pacing issues, it's straight up boring at times and Foggy gets WAY too much screen time.

What? The punisher was amazing. Every scene he's in he completely steals it or at least plays off amazingly with whatever other character is there.

Elektra, not only is the actress completely lifeless and dull, I thought her fight scenes were all terrible. Her entire subplot was executed badly, I just kept wondering what Frank was doing the whole time.

Foggy is
awesome and the more of him there is telling Matt how much of a tool he's being, the better.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Does Daredevil have as strict of a no-killing policy in the comics? Feels like I never heard about this aspect of the character until the tv show.

Generally, no. That's one of the most interesting aspects of his character because he has two strong justifications for being that way. #1 being his religious faith, and #2 being his faith in the justice system. I've always looked at comic Daredevil as someone who believes in the courts, but realizes there are places and things that the justice system can't reach and he is filling in the gaps, especially in regards to corruption.

He has killed in the comics, but it could be argued that he was under outside influence at the time for some of them. Paging Slayven & the Comic Brigade! I've kept up with Daredevil for a few years, but I'm sure I'm forgetting about something.

But I would put his No Kill rule even above Batman's as being intrinsic to the character.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm at episode 9. Even if the remaining five episodes are only about Foggy and Karen getting distracted by a bee and ninjas farcically throwing their feces at Daredevil so he can't smell them, it's still miles better than Jessica Jones.

How did JJ end up getting so much hate?

It was a much stronger series then Daredevil season 1. It had its low points like the side plots and the finale but it achieved some things I frankly haven't ever seen another comic book show or film achieve with the way it chronicled a woman trying to survive and move past an abusive relationship.

It could have gone from a good season to a great one if it cut the unnecessary filler but the Kilgrave character and the dynamic between JJ and him was better then anything Marvel has produced before or since.

jax

Banned
Season 1 was 7/10

Season 2 was 7/10

Show is 7/10

We didn't need more fisk, what happened to Punisher, and Elektra plot seemed kinda rushed. Meh.

TheXbox

Foggy is such a dweeb. Dude needs to die or at least fuck off for one episode. Ep. 3 is beyond dope but even it can't escape his pollutant personality. He's a snarky crybaby and he makes this show worse. Murdock could carry this entire series by himself.

spekkeh

Banned

It was a much stronger series then Daredevil season 1. It had its low points like the side plots and the finale but it achieved some things I frankly haven't ever seen another comic book show or film achieve with the way it chronicled a woman trying to survive and move past an abusive relationship.

It could have gone from a good season to a great one if it cut the unnecessary filler but the Kilgrave character and the dynamic between JJ and him was better then anything Marvel has produced before or since.
Half of JJ was filler, the strength of her powers was wildly inconsistent, the characters acted like morons half of the time just to let Killgrave escape again, even if talentless me would have played that Robyn character I'd be ashamed of my acting, and instead of noir world weary, Ritter just sound whiny most of the time.

I agree that DD s1 was overrated, much of it felt like plodding, but it was still a lot better than JJ, because of photography and choreography if nothing else. JJ was still okay, after being offended by much of the second half stupidness, the ending just about convinced me to watch the second season, though I'm not looking forward to it. But not so DD s2. I honestly think this is the best that Marvel has ever done, up there with Guardians, Winter Soldier and Iron Man 1. Want to talk boring, let's talk Avengers.

Donos

Like Spekkeh said, it felt like it could have been a 5 EP series. Felt very long and fillery.
Stopped around Ep 9 or 10 i think. No rush to finish it so far. With DD S1 i had the urge to finish it through in one sitting. Same with DD S2.
Theyscene where Killgrave goons rescue him from the van was so bad. JJ got overwhelmed by 3 guys she already had slapped / thrown 2-3 to the ground before (with her power, one attack should be enough to silence them). Her power is really inconsinstent and her overall acting was not always convincing.

Overall DD is very solid. Not everything has to be OMG GOAT series or Trash of the year.

Jonm1010

Banned
Half of JJ was filler, the strength of her powers was wildly inconsistent, the characters acted like morons half of the time just to let Killgrave escape again, even if talentless me would have played that Robyn character I'd be ashamed of my acting, and instead of noir world weary, Ritter just sound whiny most of the time.

I agree that DD s1 was overrated, much of it felt like plodding, but it was still a lot better than JJ, because of photography and choreography if nothing else. JJ was still okay, after being offended by much of the second half stupidness, the ending just about convinced me to watch the second season, though I'm not looking forward to it. But not so DD s2. I honestly think this is the best that Marvel has ever done, up there with Guardians, Winter Soldier and Iron Man 1. Want to talk boring, let's talk Avengers.

JJ is the only show that has actually tried to tackle a serious subject in the Marvel universe and largely succeeded. Chronicling both the perpetrator and the victim of rape and abuse. Going through her struggle to regain self worth, independence and power by overcoming the trauma and PTSD of her abuser. While also getting an intimate insight into the abuser himself. And how such people rationalize their behavior.

The filler was there, and none very good, as has been in all Netflix shows so far. The cringe worthy moments definitely exceeded any from daredevil. They really should cut down about 3 episodes each season across the board for all these series IMO. Like daredevil, the dialogue at times could leave a lot to be desired. Still, overall, JJ told an interesting story and produced a uniquely intriguing narrative and character dynamic and journey that I haven't seen anywhere else in this universe. Daredevil gave me a show a 15 year old could appreciate, JJ gave me a show that at its core was much more mature, subtle, complex and character driven then what Marvel has produced before. And a villain that frankly, is better then almost any I have seen in comic book films or TV short of the Joker. Which is all due to that relationship and the complexity of the character.

I haven't finished DD season 2 but it may surpass JJ from an entertainment perspective but so far nothing has come close to some of the deeper components of JJ.

JJ dealt with a lot of mature concepts, had a lot of potential and dealt with the best pure villain in the MCU. Unfortunately it had SO much filler. The blond guy especially was awful and the divorce subplot went nowhere. Jessica and Luke also have zero chemistry together. I think that's on Luke. Mike Colter is so stoic and boring.

Slayven

Generally, no. That's one of the most interesting aspects of his character because he has two strong justifications for being that way. #1 being his religious faith, and #2 being his faith in the justice system. I've always looked at comic Daredevil as someone who believes in the courts, but realizes there are places and things that the justice system can't reach and he is filling in the gaps, especially in regards to corruption.

He has killed in the comics, but it could be argued that he was under outside influence at the time for some of them. Paging Slayven & the Comic Brigade! I've kept up with Daredevil for a few years, but I'm sure I'm forgetting about something.

But I would put his No Kill rule even above Batman's as being intrinsic to the character.

Only time I remember Daredevil killing is when he was under the influence of a ninja demon

Loved every Netflix installment so far

JJ and DD2 definitely struggle for the endings though

I wonder why this keeps happening even though they switch showrunners

Is it the Netflix model that causes this? Ending issues seem to be common threads

Loved every Netflix installment so far

JJ and DD2 definitely struggle for the endings though

I wonder why this keeps happening even though they switch showrunners

Is it the Netflix model that causes this? Ending issues seem to be common threads
One thing might be that they insist on doing big plot arcs rather than issues of the week. The first season of DD was better at doing issues that were related to the Kingpin arc.

Like I felt JJ would have massively benefited from making the Purple Man a looming threat until the latter half of the season, and then have it be a procedural for the other half.

NotLiquid

Finished S2.

Overall I'd say it was better than Season 1 as a whole but it comes at the cost of the flaws that were present in Season 1, which are equally present in here, being much harder to ignore in this season, mostly because Fisk was such a great antagonist that he managed to offset everything by a ridiculously dominant margin.

Punisher and his story is the best thing about this season and is easily the best character Murdock has to bounce off of. He needs a new mini-series greenlit yesterday. Elektra though... not so much. Honestly a large majority of this season's problems draw back to her and she's by far the weakest link this season has. The actress is fine but the material she has to work with is a total washout. She has so little agency throughout much of this running and she's really not an interesting character at all to follow. It felt like she fit into the typical arc of a personality that exists only to stray the lead off of their intended path (which works in a way since it ties into the storyline but this character is kind of wasted). When she does get purpose of her own it still doesn't exactly work to serve her own character. I dig that a few more plot threads are juggled this time around but only some end in a satisfying matter, and hers is not one of them.

It was pretty good but there's definitely a whole bunch of room to improve.

Macka

Just finished. I think I liked Season 2 more overall, but I do agree that Season 1 has much higher highs.

I also echo many of the comments about Elektra just not being a very interesting or well written character, and her involvement ultimately feels kinda unnecessary tbh. I don't have a problem with the casting, but I kinda wish she had been saved for a later season, which would also have had the positive effect of freeing up some time to potentially build up a better central villain for the season.

The last few episodes felt kinda lackluster tbh.
That final fight on the roof is probably one of the least impressive ones in the season.

Mike M

Nick N
This show's portrayal of police and legal proceedings are like the writers haven't even seen so much as an episode of Law and Order.

I want to like this show more than I do, but the writing and plotting are like a self-published book that didn't spring for anything beyond basic proofreading sometimes...

Top Bottom