• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Mulgrok

Dat Punisher

I would much rather watch a series around him. They took parts from a lot of his stories and mixed them together well. I also think the interplay between DD and Punisher was the high point of the series.

duckroll

Episode 8

Ninjas, ninjas everywhere. The exposition explaining The Hand and The Chaste was really boring. Should have just budgeted a flashback or something, because it's really boring to watch someone sit there and talk about this crap. The courtroom stuff is great. I think they managed to use the legal aspect of the show well with the Punisher storyline. Karen and Foggy are both being unreasonable dumbasses though.

Elektra slicing that kid's throat is the most violent shit I've seen in both seasons so far. Jesus Christ. Wtf. And dat Fisk at the end. OMG. I totally didn't expect that. Amazing direction this is going in.

Just finished S2
A definite improvement over season 1. The casting for Castle and Elektra were spot on! Absolutely loved them. I think the show benefited from having less
Wilson Fisk

It also reminds me of what Arrow should have been instead of the heap of trash we have now.

Look forward to season 3!

Snorlocs

Just finished and i must say that, to me, what brought this show down was DD/Matt Murdock and Elektra. I get that Foggy and Karen aren't all that great but they are MILES better than Matt. I can't stand the character. In fact if I cut out the Hand subplot and focused solely on the Punisher subplot it would have been a 9/10 for me. Alas, I give it a 7/10

Akahige

Finished it, I enjoyed it more than Season 1, I mean it completely dragged and almost fell apart after the trial but I enjoyed even the stupidest of moments. I can't help feeling that these Netflix Marvel shows would be better suited to 3 or more less episodes. I honestly don't know what the fuck was up with The Hand story line, it fell way too far into the mystical asian lol bullshit trap far too often, they needed to introduce the story line 4 episodes earlier or something, it didn't make much sense if I think about with any sort of clarity.

Goddamn The Punisher was great, he completely and utterly saved this season from a good majority of it faults, the guy needs his own series (6-8 episode season) stat.

Ydelnae

I decided to give this a shot after seeing so many people praising it. I don't usually like superhero stuff (just the Nolan Batman trilogy) and I'm so out of the loop with all the multiverse thing that's happening right now. I hope the series is self contained.

Red

I decided to give this a shot after seeing so many people praising it. I don't usually like superhero stuff (just the Nolan Batman trilogy) and I'm so out of the loop with all the multiverse thing that's happening right now. I hope the series is self contained.

Season 1 of Daredevil is kind of similar to TDK trilogy. I don't think it is nearly as good, but you might enjoy it nonetheless. Daredevil is the most Batman-esque character Marvel has going right now, despite the discrepancies between Bruce Wayne and Matt Murdock.

TheFlow

Banned
Finished S2. 8/10 punisher carried the show and the hand was the weakest part.

Elektra was great and all but she could of been saved for a better plot line unless season 3 is going to do some weird "Elektra lives again" and "born again" mashed together.

Will write more about it later. On the phone atm

Just finished the season, and I'm going to need a Punisher show ASAP. I geeked out at the
Micro
mention at the end. Not enough Punisher for me in the last episode. I felt that he was so good that he kinda unintentionally stole the thunder from the DaredevilElectra storyline. I thought this season stayed more consistently good than season 1, but they really do need to ease up on the whole Karen subplot thing. By the end, I just got sick of her.

So far Netflix and Marvel are 3/3 with me and I'm looking forward to Luke Cage in September.

duckroll

Episode 9

Goddamn. I think this was the best episode of Daredevil so far in both seasons. And... not because of Daredevil, lol. You could remove all the Daredevil, Matt, Karen, Foggy scenes from the episode and it would still be the best. Would probably be better tbh!

Finished it the other day but forgot to post. This season was incredible imo.

The amount of character development was awesome. I actually started to give a shit a little about Karen's character unlike season 1 where I couldn't really relate to her much at all. Elektra's plot got a lot more interesting towards the end but the beginning she felt like nothing more than a side track annoyance, that ending with her has me intrigued. The gore was unexpected but made it so much more enjoyable too. Stick's wood finger scene made me want to vomit tho. Overall, a solid 8.5/10

Chinner

Banned
Episode 9

Goddamn. I think this was the best episode of Daredevil so far in both seasons. And... not because of Daredevil, lol. You could remove all the Daredevil, Matt, Karen, Foggy scenes from the episode and it would still be the best. Would probably be better tbh!
Tell us more.

Episode 9

my-city-small.jpg

Do we get banned for disagreeing with mods? Because damn. Murdock is one of the most flawed yet likable MCU protags yet. And Foggy and Karen both get way too much slack.

Hopefully Duckroll gets his Punisher series with lots of violence... not what I want DD to be :)

You haven't even got to Episode 10 where
you literally can't have the best moment of the season without Matt. 'YES, THE SON OF A BOXER.'

I have watched 3 episodes in Season 1 and lost interest. However I really like punsiher, does Season 2 have a lot of call backs to the first season ? I am thinking about watching season 2 straight up.

Showaddy

you literally can't have the best moment of the season without Matt. 'YES, THE SON OF A BOXER.'

You could have literally anyone in that scene and it'd be just as great. Need a whole episode of just
Fisk screaming and rag dolling people that annoy him.

TheFlow

Banned
Episode 9 the best? Lol girl bye

And yea what that one guy said above me about episode 10. It was better than the punisher convo

Jonogunn

Episode 3 was easily the highlight. The second half was meh.

The final act was especially strange.
First Matt says to Elektra that a shit load of ninjas are coming and are bashing the door open givif them only a few minutes. But then he's somehow able to go on a sappy rant to Elektra for like 5 straight minutes.

Then when they finy finish and meet the enemy. The shit load of ninjas banging at the door aren't there and instead their are only about 8 ninjas + noba standing at the rooftop waiting for them.

That part was super weird.

I got to finish it and thought it had great character development for Punisher and DD. I disliked the way they introduced The Hand thought. I wonder how they will handle the mystical stuff later on

I enjoyed the season but everything to do with the hand was lame. The ninja fights are just boring.

Which is disappointing because the nobu fight was awesome in season 1 was one of the highlights. The second half of the seasons fights were very disappointing outside of the punisher scenes. I liked the second season but it would been incredible as a 10 episode punisher arc. The punisher and Electra arcs were not woven together well at all.

someday

Banned
My favorite scene is when Daredevil and Elektra are fighting ninjas in her apartment, then immediately after she pulls down her mask, grins, and says, "hungry?" I loved it.

I'm pretty easy to please with these types of shows and so I fully enjoyed this season. Loved the Punisher, liked Elektra, Fisk is always great, and I don't mind the Hand stuff either. I'm not crazy about Karen at all though and DD and her together already bores me. I don't read comics though so I suppose I'm probably in the minority.

Also, how does Matt support himself? He doesn't really seem worried about money but even with the fluorescent light shining on that loft, it has to be expensive.

spekkeh

Banned
Finished it. Loved it. Honestly probably my favorite thing Marvel did. I thought s1 was good but not great, and JJ was pretty mediocre, but this bodes really well. The punisher steals every scene he's in. I actually liked the different story lines, because for me it circumvents s1 and JJs biggest problem, that is a too plodding pacing. The only real problem is that they didn't really tie together and the more interesting one was left dangling a bit.
I also really hope they ease up on the gore. It keeps going past visceral into unpleasant territory. You have your street cred, no need to keep doing it. But I keep saying this after every Defenders show so I'm out of luck I guess.

Snake

Will post more in-depth impressions in the spoiler thread but here's my basic view of the season:

Solidly good all around. Not often truly great.

- Better supporting cast than Season 1, while Daredevil himself was less interesting this time around. Punisher and Elektra were both better than I was expecting.
- Too many cooks
ninjas
- Weakest episode is the finale, but none are actually bad.
- Good structure for all but the last few episodes of the season. Punisher/Elektra Mini arcs worked well for the most part.
- Low points of the season weren't as bad as in Season 1. Nothing cringeworthy this time around, for the most part.
- Best pacing for an MCU show so far. Didn't drag as much as Daredevil S1 or Jessica Jones S1, even though the last episode lacked momentum in many ways.
- The ultimate antagonists are weak this time around.

Apt101

Does anyone actually like the Human Fedora, Foggy?

He's alright. Though sometimes I can't tell if the writer(s) wrote such cheesy lines, or if the actor is just delivering them differently than intended (like the infamous Halle Berry delivery of Joss Whedon-written "do you know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning?(sic)".

duckroll

my-city-small.jpg

Do we get banned for disagreeing with mods? Because damn. Murdock is one of the most flawed yet likable MCU protags yet. And Foggy and Karen both get way too much slack.

Hopefully Duckroll gets his Punisher series with lots of violence... not what I want DD to be :)

I'm not shitting on Matt, Foggy, or Karen. They just didn't add much to this particular episode. The prison plot was the focus and if the entire episode was set there it would be better.

Does anyone actually like the Human Fedora, Foggy?

Yes. Without Foggy there is no Daredevil. His relationship with Matt is really inportant even though Matt doesn't realize that all the time. This is totally true to the comics. The actor is really good too.

I'm on ep 2 and I already love this Punisher.
"I have to fuck your pedophile ass up, but first lemme finish drinking this cheap coffee."

zma1013

I liked season 2 much better than season 1 and it's all due to The Punisher. He's just a much more interesting character with much better acting being displayed here than Kingpin. The first half of the season is certainly stronger and it seems to drop the ball a bit towards the end and veers into Arrow territory, ugh.

All episode spoilers:
Is it a rule that all ancient ninja armies must have the ability to resurrect people? This season should have focused entirely on The Punisher story arc and been a few episodes shorter. All the extra stuff just did not add anything except distractions from the better story.

In the last fight of the finale
half the ninjas must have evaporated or something. I was super hyped for the Punisher to show up with that minigun they'd lingered on. Sniping the last few guys didn't really have the same impact.

half the ninjas must have evaporated or something. I was super hyped for the Punisher to show up with that minigun they'd lingered on. Sniping the last few guys didn't really have the same impact.

I've been thing that ever since the I saw that episode. Would have been so awesome.

zma1013

Yeah, that was like the most blatantly obvious setup for that thing to happen so it was really surprising and stupid that it didnt. What we got instead was just meh. Someone must have had their wires mixed up or something and wasn't involved with the previous episode.

Yeah, you weren't alone in this. I really enjoyed the series but it didn't nail the landing as I'd hoped it would.

How did JJ end up getting so much hate?
no hate on my part but once i had time to digest i did feel a little let down - it touches on so many themes via a large mix of characters but never really takes the time or care to really develop any of them to the extent they deserve to be.

don't get me wrong though, i think this season of dd has it's problems (i found there was way too much ninja shit and not enough focus on courtroom stuff but that's just me)

Garlador

That was my one and only major criticism of the whole series. I kept waiting for it to happen, they kept making it seem like it was going to happen, making it happen would have made so much sense, and it didn't happen!

Late episode questions

What's the deal with black sky? In S1 it was the kid who was a weapon, now it's the mystical leader of the cult? Is it connected to those weird kids and such?

En-ou

is there a single fight scene in this show that isn't filmed in a dark setting? you know, so I can actually see stuff?

Top Bottom