• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans/Inhumass/Inhumazz: Review Thread.

Inhumans stopped Buck from getting his hands on Iron Fist's second season:

Collider: When the idea of doing Inhumans was brought to you, did you have to think about how you could work that out with Iron Fist?

SCOTT BUCK: I had just finished Iron Fist, and I was exhausted and looking for some time off when Jeph Loeb called and pitched this idea, and it was so good that I couldn’t say no to it. At that time, we did not know if Iron Fist would continue. We didn’t know if we’d get picked up for another season, so I wasn’t really thinking that there was going to be a conflict with that. I was just excited about the next project.

http://collider.com/inhumans-scott-buck-interview/

I wonder if Scott Buck gets more Marvel work thrown his way after this.

I was trying to think of a shit Marvel character that I'd like to see him ruin even more but nope, couldn't come up with anything. Even D-Man deserves better. Maybe a show about Shatterstar or something. Too bad that's Fox.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Marvel: We are happy to announce celebrated show runner Scott Buck will be developing She-Hulk and Moon Knight shows for SyFy!

Marvel Fans: (Froth violently from the mouth)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I do wonder if TV Marvel even cares about the quality of their product. They finessed IMAX into paying for the first two episodes, right? And this looks DIRT cheap beyond that. Filmed in Hawaii, which looks exotic but has shows and movies that work down there, so they're set up for productions. The Netflix stuff has a nice tax credit from New York. If quality was a concern, they could've slowed down production on Iron Fist and just produced another season of Jessica Jones. I mean, maybe they rushed IF cause they wanted to do The Defenders...but that was sloppy and rushed too.

The film side seems to course correct when there is even the slightest sign of weakening in the product. TV side, not so much.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Not entirely sure what you mean here, based on Marvel's films. Would you mind expanding?

They're not afraid to change the director and creative direction. Thor is probably the biggest example. Three movies, three directors. Still reviewing ok, still making money, but would anyone be excited if Thor 3 looked anything like a sequel to Dark World?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Loeb, you monster. Why must your hand destroy everything good?

m9G9lhJ.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
They're not afraid to change the director and creative direction. Thor is probably the biggest example. Three movies, three directors. Still reviewing ok, still making money, but would anyone be excited if Thor 3 looked anything like a sequel to Dark World?

Moving from Kenneth Branagh as the director of the first film to a director who was known predominantly for working in television certainly wasn't a good means of course correcting the franchise, though. Not even sure they got Branagh to leave so much as Branagh had to decline from returning on account of scheduling commitments, although I may be wrong on that.

The Kree

Banned
Moving from Kenneth Branagh as the director of the first film to a director who was known predominantly for working in television certainly wasn't a good means of course correcting the franchise, though. Not even sure they got Branagh to leave so much as Branagh had to decline from returning on account of scheduling commitments, although I may be wrong on that.

Like when they went from Joe Johnston to the Russos for Captain America? There is no hard rule for what will or won't work best.

Grizzlyjin

I imagine the thought process was "Well, we tried Shakespeare, let's see if Game of Thrones works." It obviously didn't, but they tried. Plus at that point they were already in bed with Whedon and the Russos, so I don't think they had a problem with tv directors.

Yeah, I don't know the details of him leaving. Maybe they would've stuck with him.

Marvel: We are happy to announce celebrated show runner Scott Buck will be developing She-Hulk and Moon Knight shows for SyFy!

Marvel Fans: (Froth violently from the mouth)

If they let Scott Buck touch She-Hulk or Moon Knight I'm gonna find Ike and beat him to death with a red wig

Loeb called and pitched this idea, and it was so good that I couldn't say no to it. At that time, we did not know if Iron Fist would continue. We didn't know if we'd get picked up for another season, so I wasn't really thinking that there was going to be a conflict with that. I was just excited about the next project.

Translation: "I took a shit on film and called it "Iron Fist" and I was pretty sure I'd never get work again, so I took this offer from this idiot Loeb guy as quickly as possible to fund my independently-made Green Hornet revival TV show."

Buck is absolutely a talentless hack who shouldn't be let off the hook for how Inhumans or IF turned out, but he didn't hire himself for either series, and even a more competent showrunner would have been hard-pressed to put together an eight-episode, FX-heavy superhero series from start to finish in only nine months (the time between Buck being brought on as showrunner and the IMAX premiere). Marvel Television deserves at least half the blame, I'd say.

Anyway, more critics are raving!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/arts/television/marvels-inhumans-the-gifted-review.html?_r=0

The problems with “Inhumans” — whose showrunner, Scott Buck, also held that position on the first season of the much maligned “Iron Fist” — set in right away, with a clumsily directed jungle chase that looks like a game of laser tag in the Home Depot plant section. IMAX’s financial participation in the show was supposed to beef up its budget, but the pilot looks noticeably cheap.

The situation only gets worse as the script starts to roll out the back story, which comes from the mystical, quasi-religious side of the Marvel brain. The Inhumans are an ancient race of mutants who have secluded themselves on the moon, where much of the action in the pilot takes place. Their king, Black Bolt (Anson Mount), thinks they should stay there; his non-mutant brother, Maximus (Iwan Rheon of “Game of Thrones”), wants to return to earth.

The setup — a superhuman minority with a royal family and a restless underclass — has echoes of another ABC fantasy, “Once Upon a Time,” but it’s presented in such a stilted, sluggish way that it mainly recalls costume epics like “Clash of the Titans,” which at least had Ray Harryhausen’s cool special effects.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/09/28/marvel-inhumans-abc-review/706082001/

The series all but admits that these characters are not right for the small screen when it makes the thunderingly illogical decision to shave off Medusa's hair in a very early scene, rendering her powerless. It makes no sense, and instead seems like a cost-saving measure to avoid expensive visual effects. Worse, this maiming of a character should be a profound and monumental event, but it's unearned at such an early point in the series. How are viewers supposed to relate to Medusa's new reality if they've barely been exposed to her status quo?

Inhumans isn't interested in explaining how or why its characters do what they do or imparting any emotion. The end result is a hollow story about a group of entirely unrelatable people shouting and throwing fire at each other.

Much is lost in translation from the comics to the screen, and the entire production has an air of cheapness and incompleteness. The dialogue is stilted, the costumes are too literal, the sets are drab and the action scenes are poorly directed and hard to follow.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/marvel-inhumans-review-fast-cheap-terrible/2/

At that TCA panel, Loeb repeatedly scolded critics who took issue with one aspect of the show or another, insisting we were being unfair in judging an unfinished product. Amazingly, the version that will air on Friday night is worse than what the TCA got to see in the summer. With each passing minute, Inhumans feels slower, dumber, and emptier. Even the one thing the show does well at first — the CGI version of Lockjaw, so enthusiastic and helpful — gets screwed up before long. The show has no reason to exist except that Marvel wanted it to, by any means necessary.

And so it does.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any plans that this will stream on Hulu, since they usually do everything ABC? Can't find it when searching and I really want to check out the train wreak of the "complete series" of 8 eps.

Boem

The actor who plays Maximus should just do the show by himself

I feel so bad for him. Going from Game of Thrones to this, playing an intensely watered down version of the same character. I bet it's not what he was expecting when he joined Marvel. He deserves so much better - actually the kind of actor that could work very well as a big screen bad guy.

Emwitus

You know what? After watching the first four episodes? People do like hyperbole. This is much better then what shield initially was. Like leagues better. I like it and they have a fan

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You know what? After watching the first four episodes? People do like hyperbole. This is much better then what shield initially was. Like leagues better. I like it and they have a fan

It's really not.

Top Bottom