• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Theorry

Finished it. Overall really liked it. Netflix is doing a good job with it. First Daredevil and now this. Bit of a slow start of the season but still good. Second part was really good but the ending was abit underwhelming. But overall really enjoyed. Ritter and Tennant both delivered top notch performances.

cocopuffs

Banned
Got to the infamous episode 10, goddamn this just got all shitty and contrived all of a sudden, Killgrave could easily have been dealt with by now, like Jessica, Jessica, wtf are you even doing.

Amagon

Just finish watching this show and really hated it. Such a bore to go through the whole season for a shit payoff at the end.

On episode 10 now. This has been absolutely amazing so far; probably even better than Daredevil. I'm definitely interested to see what's going on with
Simpson as well as the 'team' he's rejoined with the doctor. Is he someone who later becomes a villain or something?

Really really dislike Robyn though - she's so overly animated and dramatic. The idea that she'd
rally a group to come in and attack Jessica in her flat (and that they'd comply) is so ridiculous. Unless there's some kind of twist that she has the same powers as Kilgrave too.

Mandelbo

Just watched episode 10. I should've been keeping a count of how many times I thought "for fuck's sake" over the course of the episode...

I've really liked it up to this point but...
Everything just seems to be going wrong for the sake of it going wrong. Simpson takes some drugs and now he's out of his mind, Kilgrave got away again, not to mention how Hope is dead, Wendy is dead and Clemons is dead. I'm guessing that the Hogarth subplot is at its end now that Wendy is dead and Pam thinks she's repugnant, which is a shame because I quite liked that tangent.

I just kept thinking that they've still got three episodes left and there's not an awful lot else that can go wrong, really. It's just starting to seem too convenient now - in episode 5 Kilgrave got away because he had some thugs to hand just in case, in episode 9 he got away because the wire was cut, in episode 10 he got away because Robyn is unhinged... Just when Kilgrave is in Jessica's grasp, something happens to snatch him away again.
I'm still looking forward to seeing how it ends though, especially given that this is meant to be the low point of the series from what people have been saying here.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished it, not sure about this one. I liked how brutal/shocking it was at times, and I really loved David Tennant hamming it up. Carrie-Ann Moss was awesome as well.

But other than that the acting was kinda awful and the finale not so great. Last two to three episodes kinda went nowhere. Not to mention an unsual focus on
uncontious Luke, who at the moment supreme just vanishes. Eh.. okay? The fight between Jessica and Luke was AWFUL. The show kinda went south when Killgrave escaped the soundproof chamber.

I also disliked how Jessica's power levels seem convenient for the moment to let the evil villain get away. One moment she's lifting up a car, the other moment she's getting tackled and pinned by a 60-year-old. Come on..

I greatly prefer Daredevil.

Durden77

Just finished it, and fuck was it satisfying seeing Killgrave's neck get snapped. I actually yelled "YES" outloud. This ending was so much better than Daredevil's.

Show overall was great. Killgrave was played brilliantly. Think I liked it better than Daredevil.

Terrible finale imo, just ran out of steam to the point where kilgrave's death was eh. There's a good show in here between kilgrave, Jessica, trish and luke cage

But her neighbours, Simpson and whatever other characters really dragged it down.

daredevil >>>>

devilhawk

I did like it, but I felt it definitely struggled a bit in the later episodes.

I thought Tennant was great but the Malcom character needs to go. Why was he even around after his KIllgrave interaction finished? The sober Malcom character was extremely cringeworthy and pointless.

I also agree with the others stating how you must divorce this show from other Marvel shows and movies (probably except daredevil).

spekkeh

Banned
Finally finished it. The final few episodes luckily got good again. But boy was everything between episode 4 and 12 unnecessary at best. From moment to moment the show can get really tense, but overarching wise it felt like they really had no clue what they were doing. So I remain conflicted, but it ended well enough that I'm interested in the next one.

Characters I really liked:
Kilgrave, Trish

Characters that were okay:
Jessica, Luke, Albert, Clemens

Characters I hated:
Pretty much everyone else.

Although I like Ritter in general, I don't think she was the best choice for a hardboiled character. Instead of world weary she sounded more whiney, and the boozing felt too cartoony, or if she never actually gets drunk, what's the point. Could also be that the director simply didn't commit enough. Daredevil's photography was actually much more Noir than Jessica Jones.
though in terms of photography I am appreciative that the cameraman seemed as infatuated with Jessica's ass as I was

EthanC

Banned
Started off OK, but by the end I was definitely done with it. I was surprised that for a Marvel show/movie, the action scenes were complete crapola. Kinda don't care if there's a season two or not.

SJRB

Gold Member
Terrible finale imo, just ran out of steam to the point where SPOILERS. There's a good show in here between kilgrave, Jessica, trish and luke cage

But her neighbours, Simpson and whatever other characters really dragged it down.

daredevil >>>>

What's the deal with Simpson anyway? That whole story arch went nowhere.

hohoXD123

Terrible finale imo, just ran out of steam to the point
where kilgrave's death was eh
. There's a good show in here between kilgrave, Jessica, trish and luke cage

daredevil >>>>

Cheers for the unmarked spoiler. Ffs

hermit7

How much time occurred from the beginning of the series to the end? I figured at least a few months, but it is hard to really know.

SJRB

Gold Member
I reckon he'll be back. (spoiler link)

Huh, how weird.

How much time occurred from the beginning of the series to the end? I figured at least a few months, but it is hard to really know.

Especially in the later episodes the time jumps were kinda jarring to the point that I was often not quite sure if a day passed or maybe a week? The show is pretty inconsequential in that regard.

hohoXD123

I quite like how it's a very personal story rather than another crazy guy wants to take over the world ones. David Tennant works well but it takes some getting used to after seeing him as the doctor all those years

Apologies I thought we were allowed to talk openly about the show now

Also God damn I hope they just drop Simpson entirely If they do another season. Worst character of the year
Don't know why that would make sense if there is a separate spoiler thread.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
After finishing Jessica Jones, it immediately rose to the top of my favourite Marvel things, TBH. I don't think I'd put it next to the GOATs like Iron Man, but it's really close.

Completely blows Daredevil out of the water in terms of characters, character development, action, more interesting and interestingly weaved storylines, the main and side cast, pretty much every single respect. The only leg up I'd give Daredevil is the very final scene of each, but I liked how Jessica Jones ended too.

Marvel on Netflix is killing it.

hermit7

I was under the impression that at most maybe two or three weeks passed.

It just seems that way too much stuff happened within a few weeks for it to be realistic or even plausible.

A few months would allow enough time for the whole trish relationship to take place, Luke and Jessica to become acquainted and even for Jessica to find out where Kilgrave is at the start of the season. It would give time for some of the characters to heal, and for the justice system to indict Hope too.

exYle

Don't know why that would make sense if there is a separate spoiler thread.

The spoiler thread exists for two weeks after the premier of a Netflix season so that people can openly discuss what happens, but it doesn't automatically get closed when unmarked spoilers become allowed in the main thread. JJ spoilers are open season starting from Dec 1 according to the OP.

I mean, a mod should adjust the title so that it's clear right off the bat, but at the same time, it's been almost a month since the show debuted.

After finishing Jessica Jones, it immediately rose to the top of my favourite Marvel things, TBH. I don't think I'd put it next to the GOATs like Iron Man, but it's really close.

Completely blows Daredevil out of the water in terms of characters, character development, action, more interesting and interestingly weaved storylines, the main and side cast, pretty much every single respect. The only leg up I'd give Daredevil is the very final scene of each, but I liked how Jessica Jones ended too.

Dude, what.

I mean, I loved JJ, but... what?

El Topo

It just seems that way too much stuff happened within a few weeks for it to be realistic or even plausible.

A few months would allow enough time for the whole trish relationship to take place, Luke and Jessica to become acquainted and even for Jessica to find out where Kilgrave is at the start of the season. It would give time for some of the characters to heal, and for the justice system to indict Hope too.

I went through the various scenes in my head and I admit that it's definitely more than two weeks, even at the most optimistic estimates. On the other hand, I still don't think many months pass, but it's really hard to estimate. The more I think about it though, the bigger the estimated time span becomes.

jph139

Finally finished JJ earlier. And yeah, liked it a lot more than Daredevil - loved the noir feel, loved the more psychological bent, loved the themes of sexuality and guilt and all that. Daredevil had higher highs, but as a total package, Jessica Jones takes it.

Kilgrave was just magnificent, Tennant really knocked it out of the park. My favorite MCU villain by a mile, and quite possibly my favorite MCU character, period. He's just such a goddamn shit-eater, completely flippant about everything that he does, aware of all of the suffering and cruelty he causes but unwilling to take an ounce of responsibility for it. I mean, I believe 100% that that character would exist - a person with ultimate power who uses it purely to indulge himself.

The Jessica-Luke relationship was great, really liked Trish, and Malcolm, and - weirdly enough - Robyn, who is probably the most human character in the show. She's an absolute bitch, and she never really improves. I really love the scene where she's telling Malcolm that everyone is awful, and he says something like "If I really believed that, I would kill myself." And she pauses for a second, is sort of taken aback, then tells him to go find a noose and stomps away. Like, she doesn't want to say it, she regrets saying it, but she says it anyways because she's too stubborn and proud for her own good. I dunno, I found her really relatable in a way - like, just because you have trauma and you care about someone doesn't mean you stop being shitty.

hamchan

I really liked this show even if the last third felt a bit messy. Felt like it was just spinning its wheels and introducing new subplots very late into the season

Killing Kilgrave just like that is pretty brutal. Jessica had been avoiding trying to do that the entire series but it only resulted in a whole ton of bodies. Even though everyone looks at Jessica as a hero now this season ends on a real downer because she crossed a line she never wanted to and doesn't view herself as a hero. Some might say that Jessica was just being dumb the whole time and should have killed him from the start but killing someone in cold blood wasn't the type of person she was so I can understand why she didn't.

It's also very sad we won't have the amazing David Tennant for another season unless it's in flashbacks. He played Kilgrave perfectly.

This Netflix Marvel Universe continues to be great. Really happy with the more mature direction they're taking it.

Saya

The more I think about the show, the less I like it. With the exception of Tennant and the girl who played Trish I thought the acting and performances were quite weak.

The action (fight) scenes were embarrassing. Especially the one between Jessica and Luke. Looked like something from a show out of the '90s.

I was also looking forward to seeing Jessica finally using her superpowers, but when it finally happened I was extremely disappointed by the shittastic special effects. What a waste.

Tennant is by far the best MCU villain and it is a huge mistake that they killed him off. This guy could have become so much more in the MCU. Really a wasted opportunity.

Syntsui

Watch Daredevil again, there is NO WAY JJ is better in action. This is beyond absurd. I agree with the rest though, I enjoyed it much more than Daredevil. The ending was kind of a bummer, it felt a little bit rushed.

I was absolutely done with Marvel and its superheroes after I saw the second Captain America movie. I decided to give Jessica Jones a go anyway because I liked Krysten Ritter in Breaking Bad. But wow I liked this show a lot! It had some cringe moments for me like scenes where they talk about superpowers or what being a superhero is all about but I can look past that because the rest was so good. Not to mention David Tennant as Kilgrave was the coolest villain I've seen in a while.

Now my friends are recommending me Daredevil but I don't know if I would like that at all.

Syntsui

I was absolutely done with Marvel and its superheroes after I saw the second Captain America movie. I decided to give Jessica Jones a go anyway because I liked Krysten Ritter in Breaking Bad. But wow I liked this show a lot! It had some cringe moments for me like scenes where they talk about superpowers or what being a superhero is all about but I can look past that because the rest was so good. Not to mention David Tennant as Kilgrave was the coolest villain I've seen in a while.

Now my friends are recommending me Daredevil but I don't know if I would like that at all.

Daredevil has the best action scenes ever done in a superhero series AND movie. It's more ''comic-like'' than JJ and Kingpin is a love or hate character.

8bit

Knows the Score

Daredevil is worth your time, not that super-heroey and features a great villain in Kingpin.

Devil

Hu, I'm on the complete opposite then. I like Jessica Jones a lot, but I think Daredevil was on a different level.

Cap2 shits on DD from a tall building.

Completely depends on what kind of action you like. Cap 2 has some great "big" action scenes with explosions, car chases etc. I liked it a lot. But DD has those greatly choreographed hand-to-hand fighting scenes you rarely see anymore in western releases.

Mr. Sam

Captain America 2 gets all its great action out of the way by the halfway point but it does have some real good stuff. I still don't think anything in there matches up with the simple brutality of the corridor fight in episode 2 of Daredevil.

Ultimately, I think Daredevil is just much better paced than Jessica Jones.

Hmm I think I will give Daredevil a go then. I remember my cousin praising it for its fight scenes just like you guys are doing. I'll report back here lol

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Finished JJ last night. I agree with those who say it's one of the best MCU events since Iron Man.

There were some pacing problems (Episode 11ish after Kilgrave escapes the lab) and some of the characters were either annoying or forgettable (Simpson felt really forced).

Loved all the weird, challenging, brutal stuff that happened though. Didn't think you'd hear the word "rape" thrown around so often in a Marvel property. That, plus heavy drug abuse (alcohol shown being drunk, using Heroin by its name rather than just "drugs"), child exploitation, freakin' incest... show was gruesome with its kills too (Wendy's bludgeoning elicited a yelp from me).

And Kilgrave is probably one of the most believable villains in a while. I'd imagine 90% of the assholes out there would just use their powers for short-term personal gain rather than try for world domination or realizing some grand vision. Tennant played him like a guy you couldn't wait to see killed.

Definitely better than Daredevil in all categories except action. Still don't really understand Kingpin's motivations in S1.

Top Bottom