• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished binging the whole thing.

Fairly solid, though I'd rank it at the bottom of the Netflix shows so far. It really drags to a halt when Cottenmouth dies and Luke gets laid up by the magic alien bullet. We know Luke isn't going to die, so why was that dragged out for so damn long?

Also Diamondback's super suit is one of the stupidest looking costumes I've seen on film in a long long time.

Malyse

D.A: Blake? Loving all these cameos.

Speaking of...
I hate Trish cause she's not

Patsy is a super fun character.

Renpatsu

To Harlem, if Luke was kicking his ass, he must have had it coming.
I think that's a fair enough conclusion to make, I can get behind that.

Edit: I'll have to rewatch (maybe not so soon), but I think one of my biggest gripes with Diamondback is how so much of his dialogue is wrapped up in Biblical quotations I don't think he has much of a real conversation with anyone.

Edit Edit:
But the biggest complaint I have is how much music was played. Like in every fight scene, it was over the top.
I'll disagree here and say that the music is such a strong component of why this show works so well. It felt like you were being drenched in it, or that music was embedded so deeply into Harlem's roots that it literally hung in the air. To me at least the music is what carried the show during some of the more average story beats.

tmarg

Fairly solid, though I'd rank it at the bottom of the Netflix shows so far. It really drags to a halt when Cottenmouth dies and Luke gets laid up by the magic alien bullet. We know Luke isn't going to die, so why was that dragged out for so damn long?

Also Diamondback's super suit is one of the stupidest looking costumes I've seen on film in a long long time.

That part dragged the show down far less than the whole Jessica playing house plot line.

Losing Cottonmouth was unfortunate, but I don't see how they could have kept him around much longer. The character was compelling in large part because he was such a bad villain. He was in over his head in the first episode, and kept digging himself deeper.

Beefy

As I said on the other thread. It's a average show with a good character. The supporting cast weren't that great apart from Shades and the story was kind of boring. But the biggest complaint I have is how much music was played. Like in every fight scene, it was over the top. For me this is easiest the poorest Marvel series and I hated JJ.

diaspora

I appreciated that Claire didn't take shit from the purse snatcher. Though you hang with Daredevil long enough you stop taking shit from anyone.

EDIT: "Where's Les Paul?!" holy shit I lost it

jmood88

I swear some of y'all just want one long action scene and absolutely no time spent with the characters. The bullet thing was like an episode and a half.

I swear some of y'all just want one long action scene and absolutely no time spent with the characters. The bullet thing was like an episode and a half.

Naw, the action isn't that good. The first big scene where he breaks into what is called Fort Knox is really some awkward shots and Luke Cage practicing his awkward flailing / precise grabs. I was actually glad the action was sparse throughout those episodes cause I thought he was going to do some damage when an action set piece came up. Well he did do damage it was just funny to watch.

Xevren

Overall I liked it, but didn't like Diamondback as much as Cottonmouth, thought he just killed it and was sad when he was done :(

I sort of like how corny and cheap Diamondback's super suit was. Just a green mechanic jumpsuit and Diggle's helmet.

I'm sure they would've liked to do something more impressive, but they went for camp instead of just plain cheap.

Lmao, after episode 3, Cottonmouth gets the "Pull Up Then" Award.

I've seen things escalate quickly, I literally laughed for a good minute at that ending. So awesome.

Brakke

Banned
lol at this boy reading this book talking about Robert Moses. Like Stringer Bell talking community college-level economics. Honestly surprised Cottonmouth didn't drop some "I'm just a gangster, I suppose" Barksdale kinda line. M

The Wire fanboyism is real.

Candace was too damn fine to survive the full season.

Overall I liked it, but the ending was such a fizzle for me. That showdown on the streets was complete lol-worthy.

Favorite character was Misty, with Cornell being a close second. Diamondback on the other hand was completely one-dimensional. But hey, I loved Dunn Purnsley on Boardwalk Empire, and he did a suitably great job at being menacing here as well.

I liked the overall feel of the show, but you can immediately tell when the hamfisted commentary comes into play. From the beginning "*moan* Stong Black Man working! Ain't nothing wrong with that!" to the (paraphrased) Black people don't play baseball because its passed on from father to son, and they ain't got no fathers!

I like the touch that they made Mariah a Delta. Hearing the AKA skee-wee and the inspector correcting her to oo-oop atleast showed me they had a black person on the staff.

Rosario Dawson stays being great, and i'm glad she's the thread that holds all of the shows together. I really like Claire's character.

It might be my least favorite of the marvel netflix shows, but that's a bit of a misnomer. I'm really high on all of them, and I can't wait for Defenders.

Wallach

Just ran through the entire first series.

Loved it overall. Episode 8 and the first half of episode 13 stuck out to me as being weak, but otherwise I had such a good time with this show.

I will say I have to echo a bit that the stars of this first run are the villains, other than Misty Knight. Cottonmouth, Mariah and Shades ultimately wind up making this first season. What perfect casting on these three, and the writing to match. So fucking great. It's weird how Diamondback winds up being a villain foil to other villains, where you're basically rooting for Shades and Mariah to figure out how a way to come out on top over him. Like around episode 9 I really cared so much less about whatever the fuck Luke and Claire were doing and just wanted to see every moment of how that tension between the antagonists played out. In the finale it was strangely satisfying to watch Shades and Mariah become a couple and come out "victorious" at Harlem's expense.

Also it has to be said how fucking great the soundtrack to this series came out. The way it moved in and out of the actual scene constantly against the backdrop of Harlem Paradise was so fucking good.

And we're gonna get Iron Fist and Daredevil in this shit? Maybe Punisher, or even Moon Knight? Make season 2 right now. Seriously, like this weekend.

Welp, that's what happens when you say someone wants their rape. Also, I my love for Theo Rossi is being flourished by this show.

Apt101

Yep. I had a hard time caring about Spartan Locke in Halo Nightfall and Halo 5 because of Coulter's flat delivery.

He's emotive enough. He's playing a character who is defensive and guards his emotions. He showed some range, especially in the scenes with the psychologist. This Luke Cage is obviously not a highly-animated person.

Who's the rapper at the opening of ep5? Shit is tight.

Jidenna. I think. I don't remember which episode he showed up in.

The guy who plays Luke Cage is a shit actor.

Some of his screams/shouting came off as hokey. He's a decent actor, but it doesn't seem he has the range.

Some weird wide shots that show two actors talking to each other and their arms just hang at their sides, doing nothing. Be more animated or fold them up or something than just letting them hang there. Have the actors do something other than just talk. With that said, there were some nice shots, especially with mirrors. There was one in episode 10 during Luke's flashback that was awesome.

I liked all of the villains. Mr. Stokes and Mariah were good. Shades is too good of a henchman for them. The conflict between Cottonmouth and Luke was just boring. Probably because Cottonmouth was destroying himself by trying to kill Luke. Diamondback, I loved up until he got a stupid super suit. Judas bullets I can hang with. They represented true danger for Luke, especially after he destroyed the barn. Super suit, though? Nah. Especially that helmet. Still, Diamondback gets a lot of love for the "presence of death" line.

I know Luke is superpowered and he's probably holding back his strength when dealing with mostly everyone. Throwing people around makes sense, but it's boring. It was nice to see when he did go up to some of the bad guys, they'd just run instead of fighting. What really annoyed me was when Luke fought Diamondback in the last episode. We get some last minute boxing flashbacks, but then we just see the usual throwing with occasional punching.

Speaking of flashbacks, I hate unmotivated flashbacks. They stick out like a sore thumb. The flashback to his time in prison felt forced. It could have been couched in a better way. It didn't seem like the time for the origin story, not with a side character whom we never see ever again. The aforementioned boxing flashbacks felt the same as well. Nothing really hinted at something like that between the two of them, but I could have missed something. This is just a quick idea, but if an unpowered Diamondback went up to Luke Cage and started dodging Luke's blows while taunting him, I think the flashbacks would have felt better. They would have added some weight to them. It would also show Diamondback as something even more to be feared.

Overall, I liked the show.

Beefy

Still the biggest problem for me is amount of tunes they play. Just checked out the Luke Cage sound track on Spotify, there is 127 tunes on it apparently, so nearly ten per episode. Way too much.

Pickman

Very end of Episode 5 where Luke and Misty are walking down the street at night, something shoots by in the night sky. Iron Man cameo?

jmood88

Naw, the action isn't that good. The first big scene where he breaks into what is called Fort Knox is really some awkward shots and Luke Cage practicing his awkward flailing / precise grabs. I was actually glad the action was sparse throughout those episodes cause I thought he was going to do some damage when an action set piece came up. Well he did do damage it was just funny to watch.
This has absolutely nothing to do with what I was saying.

I liked it, but it was pretty much a cookie cutter Marvel show after Cottonmouth died. Maybe they should get out of New York for one of these shows. The origin episode was the best one by far.

hydruxo

Watched the first ep last night and really enjoyed it, but please tell me Theo Rossi's character gets better because he stuck out like a sore thumb and not in a good way

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Why didn't he just pull the power thingy on the back of DB's suit? Overall loved the show but the action was underwhelming.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Finished it all. Overall better than JJ but ranks below Daredevil for me.

I really, really enjoyed the look into this part of New York. The politics, culture, relationships. All of it. I was really impressed with the bulletproof hoodie and how they evolved that.

Some great world building, Dawson is fantastic and I hope she gets more Involvement during and after the Defenders.

The pimp storm trooper line made me laugh. But I don't get why people are complaining about the look of the suit, I figured it was meant to be a direct homage to his look in the comics just as Luke Cage's was when he had the yellow shirt on and tiara. The 70s look was meant to look kinda dumb.

Also: He let Diamondback punch him until his suit's power drained, right? Cage opted for some power of self-belief line when explaining it but I figured that's what he did.

I forgot to mention that I didn't care much for Misty Knight's therapy session. I get that she's a part of the mythos but was that whole thing necessary?

Anung

Un Rama
Hahahhaa DC are struggling to adapt even their biggest superheroes yet Marvel add Method Man to the MCU like its nothing.

strafer

Man, this show has captured me more than any of the other Marvel Netflix shows.

I hope they replace Thor with Luke Cage. Avengers could use some swagger.

Top Bottom