• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels Secret Wars by Hickman & Ribic |OT| Everything ends... Everything begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

Has no one mentioned that Earth 199999 is the Beyonders' control universe for this experiment? It's pretty clever.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
You guys are quick <3!

Thanks much. I definitely want the full understanding on this entire event since this is kind of bigger than all the other ones, but I want to get it completely right. So with that being said, I will start with Hickman's FF. Which issue should I start with?

F4 vol 1 #570-574
F4 vol 2 #575-578
F4 vol 3 #579-582
F4 vol 4 #583-588
FF vol 1 #1-5
FF vol 2 #6-11
F4 vol 5 #600-604
FF vol 3 #12-16 (events take place during F4 vol 5)
FF vol 4 #17-23
F4 vol 6 #605.1, 605-611

yesss

get ready for the best comic of all time

FantasticFour_600_CoverQuesada.jpg

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well #1 was so much fun and a what a way to start reading physical comics. First time buying a comic on launch day. Also I feel my wallet crying already. Comics are going to be an expensive hobby. Espcially when there's trades and collections I want physical copies of even if they're on Marvel unlimited.

ok, I had a minute to re-read secret wars when I wasn't rushed.

The manifold thing makes sense now.

new avengers 30 has hank pym revealing that the ACTUAL higher end abilities of the manifolds spread across the multiverse is that they are able to subconsciously move things based on Need, without knowing precisely what those things were, or the destination.

"plan B" when the shuttle blew was using this ability to grab the exact people they would NEED to survive in the aftermath of multiversal collapse. They don't know WHY spider man, cyclops, star lord, and Thor are necessary, only that they are.

ok, I had a minute to re-read secret wars when I wasn't rushed.

The manifold thing makes sense now.

new avengers 30 has hank pym revealing that the ACTUAL higher end abilities of the manifolds spread across the multiverse is that they are able to subconsciously move things based on Need, without knowing precisely what those things were, or the destination.

"plan B" when the shuttle blew was using this ability to grab the exact people they would NEED to survive in the aftermath of multiversal collapse. They don't know WHY spider man, cyclops, star lord, and Thor are necessary, only that they are.
To expand on that
Manifold is plugged to a machine that apparently expands his powers. Back in New Avengers 13, Swan described a machine powered on need, it was Reed's bridge. The amplifier used in this issue looks like the gateway part of a bridge (minus the dimension on the other side). I assume this machine is derived from a bridge design. It's mentioned several times though that a Manifold can only work in their native universe.

Another thing of note is that Manifold stayed behind, looking to achieve something we haven't yet seen come to fruition.

I'll go on a limb and suggest that using a bridge-like contraption, 616 Manifold could manage to get other people out of the dying 616 universe to wherever Battleworld is. IIRC, a Reed, or Doom, managed to cheat and use an Infinity Gauntlet through a bridge when the Gauntlet is only meant to be used in its native universe.

That's alright.

I soon remembered I have so much to look forward to.
Dat additional context.
Who is the woman between Carol (?) and Miles? Is that 1610 Jean Grey?

To expand on that
Manifold is plugged to a machine that apparently expands his powers. Back in New Avengers 13, Swan described a machine powered on need, it was Reed's bridge. The amplifier used in this issue looks like the gateway part of a bridge (minus the dimension on the other side). I assume this machine is derived from a bridge design. It's mentioned several times though that a Manifold can only work in their native universe.

Another thing of note is that Manifold stayed behind, looking to achieve something we haven't yet seen come to fruition.

I'll go on a limb and suggest that using a bridge-like contraption, 616 Manifold could manage to get other people out of the dying 616 universe to wherever Battleworld is. IIRC, a Reed, or Doom, managed to cheat and use an Infinity Gauntlet through a bridge when the Gauntlet is only meant to be used in its native universe.

I like this explanation.

Sadist

No kidding.
Aside from all the gut punches, the Punisher scene was amazing. Even people who hate the guy probably laughed.
Everything about it was amazing.

Fisks casual e-mail to his co-villains was pretty cool; "well guys, we're gonna die anyway so let's get drunk together. Your big broseph, Wilson."

Punisher's smirk is priceless.

Also, T'Challa talking with Reed

"You know Reed we really are the last of us"

Yeah, this wait is killing me. All I can do is reread SW #1 and A/NA again and again.
I'm going to spend a week trying to connect imaginary dots. I'm fairly certain it's a sign of madness but eh.

I feel there are still some clues left in Ultimates, FF and Avengers. Hell, maybe even in AvX.

If you're a
Cyclops/Phoenix hybrid, who else you either consciously or unconsciously save from the end of the world given the chance?
Oh shit.
I figured she had to play some role as she's in the list of characters at the beginning and there's only one shot of her in the book.
Your explanation makes sense.

I kinda hope Cyclops
doesn't have some master plan re: the Phoenix Egg but he just thought, "Fuck, I'm going to need every advantage I can get."

JC Lately

Question from someone who’s been woefully out of touch, Marvel wise:

At the end of Spider-Verse, it was revealed that the Earth that the Captain Britain Spider-Man is from was gone. I assumed it had something to do with what happened to the Master Weaver and the Web of Life at the time, but was his world actually a causality of an Incursion?

yes, I know, I know. I just like the idea of a hail mary plan of "well, time to git gud."

in the New Avengers thread Cyclops was looking like the ultimate clueless asshole though.

NA30 saw the entire cosmic pantheon including a limitless number of celestials casually wiped out by beyonders in the blink of an eye, and the multiverse marching inevitably to a slow death no matter what ANYONE did because of it.

And here comes cyclops like "chill out everybody, I got this PHOENIX EGG!"

Mudcrab

I thought the speculation was that it was 1610 Jean Grey on the cover, not 616.

I must have missed that part. The one on the cover looks more like O5 Jean than what I remember 1610 looks like...

and besides
why would 616 PhoenixCyke save 1610 Jean Grey?

I haven't read ultimate comics fot a while, but what happened to the ultimate universe xmen, ultimates (cap, thor, hulk) and the rest of ultimate FF other than evil Reed?

They're so hilariously outmatched in superpowered people in this fight.

bengraven

Seriously expecting to see our Jean at least one more time. This is the perfect opportunity for her to show up. Don't think they'll have her spend the last 10+ years of the universe just sitting in the white room with black curtains...and then it's over and Ultimate Jean Grey or young JG take over.

so if they remember things before secret wars, is it still a reboot?

I meant if they remembered events before SW like the death of Gwen Stacy or Civil War or the Dark Phoenix Saga, etc.

If your phrasing is correct I'm gonna have to disagree because by that rationale, AoA was one and X-Men Prime ushered in a new continuity. I think most X-Men readers would disagree with these statements.
If somehow most of the post-SW characters have no memories of the pre-SW universe, then yeah, but remembering SW itself seems trivial.

See above.

Ri'Orius

Something I don't quite get from my vague perusal of these threads: back when the Incursions were still happening, if you destroy the other universe's earth, does the rest of the other universe survive? I mean, based on this:

Things may not reach that point as back in 616 the other civilized powers in the galaxy have learned of Incursions and that destroying Earth will prevent more from occurring. Their solution is to simply destroy the Earth via orbital bombardment.

it sounds like the universe survives? Or at least is believed to? But then we'll still have a multiverse after the dust is settled, just a multiverse with only one earth.

'Course that also means that evacuating and scuttling earth would've saved everyone a lot of trouble. But of course the earthlings are too stubborn (and technologically primitive), while the aliens are too snobbish to bother evacuating before trying to blow it up.

I haven't read ultimate comics fot a while, but what happened to the ultimate universe xmen, ultimates (cap, thor, hulk) and the rest of ultimate FF other than evil Reed?

They're so hilariously outmatched in superpowered people in this fight.

ultimate universe x-men just crossed over with the all-new X-men and miles morales a couple of issues ago. they're around, they just weren't invited to the cross dimensional invasion. Incursion was only an hour, so their absence isn't conspicuous.

everyone else? who knows

Mudcrab

Something I don't quite get from my vague perusal of these threads: back when the Incursions were still happening, if you destroy the other universe's earth, does the rest of the other universe survive? I mean, based on this:

it sounds like the universe survives? Or at least is believed to? But then we'll still have a multiverse after the dust is settled, just a multiverse with only one earth.

'Course that also means that evacuating and scuttling earth would've saved everyone a lot of trouble. But of course the earthlings are too stubborn (and technologically primitive), while the aliens are too snobbish to bother evacuating before trying to blow it up.

It's false hope. Even if you survive the final Incursion your universe will still die due to the Beyonders' actions.

Fintan

Question from someone who’s been woefully out of touch, Marvel wise:

At the end of Spider-Verse, it was revealed that the Earth that the Captain Britain Spider-Man is from was gone. I assumed it had something to do with what happened to the Master Weaver and the Web of Life at the time, but was his world actually a causality of an Incursion?
It was an incursion from what I understood, yeah. I remember Brit Spider-Man went to the corps and was like "Someone's killing Spider-Men." And they were like "We have more important things to focus on" i.e. The Incursions. And then at the end when he finds out that his world is gone, he mentions the incursions in some way, I think.

I really hated Spider-Verse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom