• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels Secret Wars by Hickman & Ribic |OT| Everything ends... Everything begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I want to start this really bad but I'm a huge sucker for starting from the beginning. I don't want to read SW#1 yet because of this reason, though I have it. So my question is, how can I start all the way from the beginning? Is starting from Hickman Avengers and New Avengers the best way to go and then come all the way down to SW?

Toa TAK

Banned
Forget you guys. Ultimate Universe forever. That's right: incest Twins, Ultimate Reed, Wadey Wilson, Ultimatum, all of it.

So I want to start this really bad but I'm a huge sucker for starting from the beginning. I don't want to read SW#1 yet because of this reason, though I have it. So my question is, how can I start all the way from the beginning? Is starting from Hickman Avengers and New Avengers the best way to go and then come all the way down to SW?

If you *really* want to start from the very beginning you need Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run in there too, as Reed and Doom are central characters to the story and Hickman has been writing them in some form for quite awhile now. That said, I think you are probably fine to just read Avengers/New Avengers. But when I do my own full re-read, it will include all of the FF stuff, too.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

That's a pretty good "beginning", but you could also argue for his (still unfinished) run on SHIELD, or Fantastic Four or Ultimate Comics Ultimates.

Avengers and New Avengers are the most related, but the other stuff is all really good and has some thematic ties with the Secret Wars.

If you *really* want to start from the very beginning you need Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run in there too, as Reed and Doom are central characters to the story and Hickman has been writing them in some form for quite awhile now. That said, I think you are probably fine to just read Avengers/New Avengers. But when I do my own full re-read, it will include all of the FF stuff, too.

I only just read his Fantastic Four/FF run the other month, and damn was it fun. It is funny how we were scouring that run for clues as to how things would turn out, and thus far most of the theories haven't panned out. But, we still have the rest of Secret Wars to figure that out.

Mudcrab

If you want to start with all of Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers comixology is having a Secret Wars is Coming sale right now.

If you just want to read the last arc before SW, Time Runs Out, the OP has the links and reading order of those issues.

ZimbAdam

Yeah, that's the right choice, Secret Wars is going to be pretty confusing if you haven't at the very least read Time Runs Out, let alone the rest of Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers. If you want an even fuller picture before starting Secret Wars then you should read Hickman's Fantistic Four and FF runs as well, they hint a lot at what's to come and are absolutely amazing runs regardless.

So two worlds colliding and spilling into each other doesn't count as merging to you? Like, seriously?

And their respective universes collapsing and ceasing to exist while the ark floats in the nothingness that followed? That isn't a merging. Not yet.

I have no doubt the end result will be some odd mix of the two, but it will probably be a whole new universe populated with characters from both sides. So technically a merge, but technically a new universe as well.

So two worlds colliding and spilling into each other doesn't count as merging to you? Like, seriously?

No, there's a fun thing called a crossover, which is what happened here for a few pages before both ultimate and 616 were obliterated and no longer exist.

This is the exact opposite of a "merge".

The remnants of both will be rolled into battleworld, along with the scraps of the rest of the multiverse. After that? Who knows.

No, there's a fun thing called a crossover, which is what happened here for a few pages before both ultimate and 616 were obliterated and no longer exist.

The remnants of both will be rolled into battleworld, along with the scraps of the rest of the multiverse. After that? Who knows.

Yeah that seemed pretty clear.

Kevinroc

Miles Morales will be on the Avengers with Kamala Khan, Sam Alexander, the female Thor, Sam Wilson's Captain America, and Iron Man (ID possibly not Tony Stark).

(The FCBD Avengers book is set after Secret Wars.)

Sadist

So how long before
Cyclops considers himself the chosen one? I know Reed was on a tight schedule and bringing (or considering) in several guys like Beast (thanks for bringing in the young X-Men) and Iron Man (In his current state not the best addition), but Scott Summers? Terrible idea.

That's a pretty good "beginning", but you could also argue for his (still unfinished) run on SHIELD, or Fantastic Four or Ultimate Comics Ultimates.

Avengers and New Avengers are the most related, but the other stuff is all really good and has some thematic ties with the Secret Wars.

If you want to start with all of Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers comixology is having a Secret Wars is Coming sale right now.

If you just want to read the last arc before SW, Time Runs Out, the OP has the links and reading order of those issues.

Yeah, that's the right choice, Secret Wars is going to be pretty confusing if you haven't at the very least read Time Runs Out, let alone the rest of Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers. If you want an even fuller picture before starting Secret Wars then you should read Hickman's Fantistic Four and FF runs as well, they hint a lot at what's to come and are absolutely amazing runs regardless.

You guys are quick <3!

Thanks much. I definitely want the full understanding on this entire event since this is kind of bigger than all the other ones, but I want to get it completely right. So with that being said, I will start with Hickman's FF. Which issue should I start with?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What issues are Hickman's Fantastic 4 runs?

F4 vol 1 #570-574
F4 vol 2 #575-578
F4 vol 3 #579-582
F4 vol 4 #583-588
FF vol 1 #1-5
FF vol 2 #6-11
F4 vol 5 #600-604
FF vol 3 #12-16 (events take place during F4 vol 5)
FF vol 4 #17-23
F4 vol 6 #605.1, 605-611

Miles Morales will be on the Avengers with Kamala Khan, Sam Alexander, the female Thor, Sam Wilson's Captain America, and Iron Man (ID possibly not Tony Stark).

There's a throwaway line in the FCBD issue where one of the Avengers mentions
that they don't have Tony Stark's money backing them up anymore. I assume that means someone else is Iron Man. Rhodey is too obvious a choice, so I'm wondering who it is.

Also, if all of the universes except for 616 and Ultimate were gone...how does that explain Spider-Gwen and her alternate universe? Lol what am I doing trying to rationalize this

Busaiku

So what the heck is that tree from the gardeners and Abyss supposed to be?
I thought that would be Battleworld or something.

And a handful of AOA characters were running around in 616 after age of apocalypse. Some for quite some time...dark beast was just killed off after about 20 years there.

There's a big difference between merging and blending two distinct continuities into something new, and just crossing over a couple of popular characters.

We don't know much of anything about post sw marvel, so until the event is over its too soon to be making grand proclamations about what happened with ultimate.

There's a throwaway line in the FCBD issue where one of the Avengers mentions
that they don't have Tony Stark's money backing them up anymore. I assume that means someone else is Iron Man. Rhodey is too obvious a choice, so I'm wondering who it is.

Also, if all of the universes except for 616 and Ultimate were gone...how does that explain Spider-Gwen and her alternate universe? Lol what am I doing trying to rationalize this

Simple enough, spider Gwen happens after spider verse but before secret wars. She's clearly in the marvel universe, spider verse makes it glaringly obvious.

There will probably be some kind of continuity jump in a few issues or so.

She's going to be in the Spider-Verse Secret Wars book. Her ongoing is either on break as of July or "more than just a break" as per Nick Lowe, the editor (i.e. canceled and relaunched as part of the main Marvel Universe after Secret Wars?)

Neoxon

Watch the ALAD Avengers get put against Peter Parker, Carol Danvers, Richard Rider, OG Thor, Steve Rogers, & Tony Stark.

Now that I think out it, that would be a badass Avengers team.

What the hell is wrong with you people. The UU is the best. ;_; What was wrong with it?

The Ultimate Universe sucks and Superior Spider-Man is inferior to Peter Parker. Wait, I understand everything... you love it when heroes are replaced by douchey counterparts, doncha?

:p

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
As for Spider-Gwen, I don't think the book is set post-Secret Wars, neither do I think the multiverse will be gone. it's gone now, but I think after Secret Wars I think we'll have more stories set on other worlds if a Secret Wars tie-in book does well enough. Marvel 1872, 2099 and Renew Your Vows may very well keep on trucking after the event for instance in restored versions of that world.

I also agree we don't know anything about what happens to Ultimate yet.
Universe merger? Maybe after this, but it's certainly not what happened in this issue. Maybe we'll have a death Ultimate U and some stowaways like Miles and Reed instead. Not knowing what will happen so long in advance for once is one of the best things of this event. Kinda wish they didn't do Rage of Ultron and that FCBD Avengers book yet though.

So why 2 every 2 weeks, but then a 2 week break? Seems a weird schedule.
It's the first two every week because they didn't want to have a huge wait between issues 1 and 2, as issue 1 is more of a conclusion to Avengers than the proper start of Secret Wars.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's the first two every week because they didn't want to have a huge wait between issues 1 and 2, as issue 1 is more of a conclusion to Avengers than the proper start of Secret Wars.

It's the more or less the same for issues 3 and 4 though

Bendis. Mid Uncanny X-Men.
104294-he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-SGL1.gif

Quickly getting to the point where someone could tell me that a bendis ish revealed Essex was the time-displaced son of Cable and Jean Grey and i wouldn't bat an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom