• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy christ...this has a shot at $190-$200 million opening weekend?

Deadline has lowballed the first two days of this. The theater tonight was fucking crazy busy, and it was the second night. How big will the second weekend be?

Depending on how much demand has been burned out, I think Avengers will have a legitimate shot at breaking the 100 million mark for the 2nd weekend. Either way, the 2nd weekend record is gone.

duckroll

I do think that. And so do the folks and S&S and AC and so forth. You know, the ones that count?

So no other opinion really counts? Why bother posting on this forum then? Go wank off on whatever place you feel has opinions which really count instead.

You do understand the film community pretty much flatout completely disagrees, right? I mean, why on earth do you think Paul Greengrass won all those awards and became such a revered professional? That video on the link up there is how you shoot a real action scene.

Who is the film community? You act as if it is a universal mouthpiece which acts in unison with a single opinion. Yet it seems it is just yours.

If I sound condescending... it's because I am being condescending. Sorry. =\

Okay. So why are we wasting our time talking to you again?

If you cannot respect the people who post here. Why post here?

Vega

My two slight nerdy nitpicks:

Why doesn't Thor ever wear his helmet?

No one ever says "Avengers Assemble!" I know it's cheesy as all fuck, but like the GL oath, it's a cheesy element that has to be there. In the sequel, I guess.

Indeed. This is just the calm before the storm.

There are 30 minutes of deleted scenes cut out. I'm sure "Avengers Assemble" is in there somewhere.

Had my second viewing tonight. Audience was nowhere near as giddy and into it as the midnight release, but was still really into the movie. The place still went nuts at
HULK SMASH VILLAIN MONOLOGUE! PUNY GOD! Hell, still could not hear the line because people were still cheering.

The bar has been set insanely high for the summer. Will this be up for Best Picture or anything? Of course not, and it shouldn't be. Is this one of the most exciting, fulfilling, and fucking fun times I have at the movies in years? HELL YES! I might even get a third fix in early in the week.

The Lamp

Unbelievable. I can't believe I enjoyed this movie. Unlike its individual superhero movie counterparts (which, like 99% of superhero movies, sucked balls and were just contrived, cliche garbage), this didn't make any of the dangerous mistakes most action hero movies made and it was just fun to watch and even slightly funny. Even Loki's obnoxious super villain cliche didn't really come off as annoying.

Really loved it. Especially the 3D, which was amazingly smooth and added a lot to the experience.

Dresden

I do think that. And so do the folks and S&S and AC and so forth. You know, the ones that count?

That scene in particular is one of the best fight scenes of all time, in my opinion.

Indentity and Supremacy are mostly wank. They're just there to lead up to Ultimatum.

But alas, now I understand why this failure to communicate has gotten to this point. You lot enjoy the gloss. You like Hollywood's much hated approach.

You do understand the film community pretty much flatout completely disagrees, right? I mean, why on earth do you think Paul Greengrass won all those awards and became such a revered professional? That video on the link up there is how you shoot a real action scene.

do you have opinions of your own or do you just parrot back the things you read from your so-called important & authoritative sources

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sure, continue talking down to us!

I better let our supervisors know they need to check with S&S and AC before they plan any future action sequences.

Risette

A Good Citizen

That scene in particular is one of the best fight scenes of all time, in my opinion.

Indentity and Supremacy are mostly wank. They're just there to lead up to Ultimatum.

But alas, now I understand why this failure to communicate has gotten to this point. You lot enjoy the gloss. You like Hollywood's much hated approach.

lol "the ones that count"

Anyways, since when did preferring visually comprehensible & competently shot/staged/cut action mean someone loves "Hollywood gloss" ?

duckroll

Sure, continue talking down to us!

I better let our supervisors know they need to check with S&S and AC before they plan any future action sequences.

Yeah S&S should start giving out industry certifications for action, just so the unwashed masses don't get the wrong idea about stuff by using their own observation and critique.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah S&S should start giving out industry certifications for action, just so the unwashed masses don't get the wrong idea about stuff by using their own observation and critique.

I hope we have enough awards to pass the undoubtedly lofty prerequisites that would be set for even applying for that. Someone like Dennis Muren might not pass muster.

The Lamp

Why was Loki (general plot info)
on a rampage to take over earth anyway?
I saw Thor in theaters but I must not remember much because that made no sense to me.

whatthefuckamireading.jpg

I've just spent the past few minutes reading the last couple pages of this thread, and well, that's pretty much how I feel.

I don't think I've actually shared my thoughts on the movie though. Absolutely loved it, tops Iron Man 1 handily for me.

It's a safe bet I'll be seeing it many times in theaters.

There's nothing to discuss because you've yet to actually talk about anything besides "the world's most respected authority." Not to mention the patronizing attitude.

? Did you read my posts? I didn't claim TDK and Bourne Ultimatum were the best action films of the last decade. Sight & Sound did. Do you understand how Sight & Sound polls work? The industries most esteemed critics and professionals (mostly directors and producers) all vote on these things. The fact that multiple highly respected professionals who have spent their entire lives working and studying the craft that is cinema all voted and those 2 came up as the top voted isn't meaningless, is it? That's why the S&S polls are the most repescted film authority in the world. Because it's not one or two editors calling random shots, no... it's the industry's most prominent figures.

There's nothing to discuss because you seem repelled by visceral and organic setpieces and instead seem to preffer Hollywood's streamlined approach. And when I mention something like the S&S polls, you actually mock me. The patronizing attitude derives mostly from the fact that a bunch of kids who know nothing about the art of film could so blatantly disregard the opinions of it's most valuable professionals.
The funny part is, you guys seem to think I'm saying these things, when I'm not. I was merely exposing one single fact (that S&S mentioned those 2, even though I don't even agree with TDK being there). After that moment you all just casually brushed off anything I said as lunacy. And that was that, you'd "won".

Loki tried to take over Asgard, got stop by Thor, so in a mad fit(as usual) attempts to take over Earth as payback at Thor.

The reason for it. Loki is a brat.

Vega

Why was Loki (general plot info)
on a rampage to take over earth anyway?
I saw Thor in theaters but I must not remember much because that made no sense to me.

He wants to be king. He lost the thrown to Asgard. So he's turned to Earth.

Scapegoat

He should have started with something smaller. Like the moon.

Question about the playing cards: in the universe is Captain America a remembered war hero who got his own cards, or is it like his story inspired comic books and cartoons and stuff so thats what the cards were?

Puddles

Banned
Makes sense for Stark, considering the whole "getting out of the weapons business" thing that he went through, for Cap since that's what he was fighting against in WW2 with Hydra, and Thor just wanted it back.

I don't think it makes any sense for Stark. He always wants to push the envelope. I'll admit it does make sense for Cap.

As for Thor, it's ridiculous that he wouldn't want humanity to reach Asgardian levels of technological prowess. That's just selfish.

? Did you read my posts? I didn't claim TDK and Bourne Ultimatum were the best action films of the last decade. Sight & Sound did. Do you understand how Sight & Sound polls work? The industries most esteemed critics and professionals (mostly directors and producers) all vote on these things. The fact that multiple highly respected professionals who have spent their entire lives working and studying the craft that is cinema all voted and those 2 came up as the top voted isn't meaningless, is it? That's why the S&S polls are the most repescted film authority in the world. Because it's not one or two editors calling random shots, no... it's the industry's most prominent figures.

There's nothing to discuss because you seem repelled by visceral and organic setpieces and instead seem to preffer Hollywood's streamlined approach. And when I mention something like the S&S polls, you actually mock me. The patronizing attitude derives mostly from the fact that a bunch of kids who know nothing about the art of film could so blatantly disregard the opinions of it's most valuable professionals.
The funny part is, you guys seem to think I'm saying these things, when I'm not. I was merely exposing one single fact (that S&S mentioned those 2, even though I don't even agree with TDK being there). After that moment you all just casually brushed off anything I said as lunacy. And that was that, you'd "won".

The ability of film professionals to turn a huge capitalist venture that relies entirely on audience reaction into "art" is one of the greatest tricks humanity has ever seen. It's the same discourse that elevates certain classical music pieces above others. Esteemed professionals have opinions too, and they usually tend to be way more warped and affected than those who base their opinions outside of the industry-formed hegemonic discourse. /post-structuralism

3phemeral

I don't think it makes any sense for Stark. He always wants to push the envelope. I'll admit it does make sense for Cap.

As for Thor, it's ridiculous that he wouldn't want humanity to reach Asgardian levels of technological prowess. That's just selfish.
Humans were turning the Tesseract into a weapon, so by default they're not ready to appreciate it on a technological level.

He should have started with something smaller. Like the moon.

Question about the playing cards: in the universe is Captain America a remembered war hero who got his own cards, or is it like his story inspired comic books and cartoons and stuff so thats what the cards were?

You definitely don't want to fuck with the moon. That's where Black Bolt and the rest of the Inhumans live.

DMczaf

I only care about film critics when I need their opinion to agree with my opinion and increase my favorite movie's rotten tomatoes score.

coldfoot

Banned
TDK will always be the better film because the villain is just as important as the heroes. Loki wasn't bad, but very few movies have a villain who's on the same level as Heath Ledger. He's on the top tier along with Darth Vader and Terminator.
Avengers looked good, had funny moments and one-liners, and contained lots of action, that's it. The dialogue between Batman & Joker shits all over all of the dialogue in Avengers in terms of quality.
Avengers is a great movie worth watching, definitely though. It checks all the boxes, action, humor, cool characters.

Huh? I watch old action movies. Beside the typical rolling, the cameras are not shakey at all. T2 wasn't shakey at all and is praised for its great action sequences.

The Expendables doesn't do the shaking camera and was designed to be like the 90s/80s action movies as stated by Stallone.

The Lamp

Because he likes power and he thought it would be easy.

....That's stupid. lol.

Either the comic books wrote a cruddy villain character (which I never read) or the movie guys really made a badly designed villain.

Well at least Loki was easy to tolerate throughout the movie.

This makes more sense to me than the idea that he's just a mean guy for the hell of it (although that might be true, didn't seem to be a strong enough incentive to take over a planet). Thanks.

I'm intrigued now. What are in your opinion the 3 greatest films of all time Oxygen?

In my opinion? What exactly is the question... what are my 3 favourite movies of all time or which do I think are the best?

So no other opinion really counts? Why bother posting on this forum then? Go wank off on whatever place you feel has opinions which really count instead.

Who is the film community? You act as if it is a universal mouthpiece which acts in unison with a single opinion. Yet it seems it is just yours.

Okay. So why are we wasting our time talking to you again?

If you cannot respect the people who post here. Why post here?

It's not a place. Reffer to my previous post. The S&S polls are a pooling of the industry's most respected pros and critics. They're the ultimate authority when it comes to what's what in film. They are the voice of the film community. As in, when There Will Be Blood was voted the best movie of the last decade, that became the film community's opinion, get it? Because that's what the S&S polls are... a gathering of the greatest to vote on the greatest works.

And the only reason I have this attitude is because you people laughed and mocked when I mentioned their deliberations. Which is very pretentious, isn't it? To completely disregard the industry's collection of professionals as fools who have no idea what they're saying. When we're just kids in a gaming forum. I wasn't even saying I agreed with them... I just mentioned what the polls' results were.

do you have opinions of your own or do you just parrot back the things you read from your so-called important & authoritative sources

Of course I do. I was stating them until I mentioned S&S and you guys made fun of me for quoting them.

The entire reason is Loki wants power, he feels lesser than the other gods due to being adopted and being in Thor's shadow, and after he felled to take Asgard, he wanted to still reign as king.

So he chose Earth for two reasons. He perceived humans as weak and frail. And to get back at Thor for defeating him since Thor adores Earth.

A complex reason. Loki is a very complex character.

Puddles

Banned
It makes a lot of sense for Stark, he knows why every time he looks down to his chest.

Stark fought Thor in this movie and just about held his own (Thank you, Whedon, fuck Thor stans), but knowing that such supremely powerful beings as Thor exist, along with others who could be even more powerful
(Thanos)
, wouldn't he want to be working on the cutting-edge tech? I can't imagine Stark not wanting better weapons and armor being developed.

He doesn't want the weapons to fall into the wrong hands. Why he doesn't want to hand over the IM suit. He makes new weapons and devices but keeps them secret.

And Thor was about to kick Stark's ass before Cap showed up. Since everything Stark did, didn't hurt Thor.

The Lamp

It's not a place. Reffer to my previous post. The S&S polls are a pooling of the industry's most respected pros and critics. They're the ultimate authority when it comes to what's what in film. They are the voice of the film community. As in, when There Will Be Blood was voted the best movie of the last decade, that became the film community's opinion, get it? Because that's what the S&S polls are... a gathering of the greatest to vote on the greatest works.

I feel like if one were to say "the gaming community thinks __________ of this game" based on the reviews of IGN, GameSpot, Destructoid, and GameTrailers, I might just throw up and not play games again.

They might be the figureheads for gaming opinions/criticism, but to consider a Metacritic score as the ultimate underline for what the gaming community thinks of a game is kind of....off, to me.

I assume the same kind of sentiment can be applied to what you were implying by "film community"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom