• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Man, my theatre was killed by Avengers lol. We didn't set attendance records or anything, because its the only film doing any business. We had a LOOOOOT of shows, and each one had a monster line of several hundred people. Jeebus.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The language of film clearly meant to show that Thor and Iron Man were roughly equal. If you disagree... I don't know what to say... take a film class?
Pretty sure that wasn't what the screenplay was meant to convey at all, but I never saw the original storyboards for that sequence.

MrPliskin

Banned
He dented the armor. Tony's gauntlets still functioned after that. And Thor took some considerable hits himself.

X or Y vs Hulk is irrelevant here.

The language of film clearly meant to show that Thor and Iron Man were roughly equal. If you disagree... I don't know what to say... take a film class?

Anyway, it was a great film overall.

Obvious troll is obvious.

I guess that ends that discussion.

duckroll

Duckroll, serious advice: go back to your film theory. Remember your understanding of the language of film.

The Thor/Iron-Man duel, in movie language, was meant to portray them as semi-equals. I could list you dozens and dozens of equivalent scenes in other films.

If Whedon wanted to show Thor as a clear cut above Iron Man, he would have done so. He did not.

Note: This is just the movie-verse. The precious comic-verse is unaltered.

The language of film shows that if Captain America had not intervened, Thor would have crushed Iron Man. It was a draw only because a sensible third party stepped in and said "stop being dumb or someone is going to get hurt." I can list you dozens and dozens of equivalent scenes in other films.

If Whedon wanted to show Iron Man as an equal to Thor, he would not have shown the suit get degraded so quickly just from Thor giving him a headbutt, or Thor's hands gripping the armor. He could have shown how both characters got back up just as quickly after taking a blow, but he didn't. As the battle went on, it was harder and harder for Tony to get back up, while Thor just bounces back even after behind blasted by a direct laser and crashing right through an entire tree.

Note: This is just the movie-verse. The irrelevant comic-verse does not matter here.

Cyan

Banned
Or him going toe to toe with the Hulk, a creature that literally turned the tide of the battle in the film? That didn't show that Thor was above most of the cast, as far as prowess goes?

If they kept going at it, Hulk would've torn him in half.

Koodo

Banned
OMG. Amazing movie. Everything! The action sequences were superb, the cast and chemistry between them was superb, even the dialogue was superb. It's usually either obscenely cheesy (Spider-Man) or obscenely serious (Batman) for these comic book movies, but Avengers nailed that nice balance of the first Iron Man movie, and better.

I'm impressed at how every character, despite there being a lot of characters, was nicely developed and given near equal time in the spotlight (TAKE NOTES, Hunger Games). I think the weakest was Loki, which sometimes hinged a bit on the Thor backstory (in regards to the relationship between Thor and Loki), but it was nothing serious.

And the scene after the credits? Perfect.

This movie deserves the opening weekend record.

So now I automatically think TDK is one of the 2 best action films of the decade? That's the problem here, u guys make connections that aren't there to be made. I agree with the poll on Ultimatum, but not on TDK. Is it a good movie? Yes, it is.Is it one of the best? Not even by a long shot.

MrPliskin

Banned
If they kept going at it, Hulk would've torn him in half.

The point is, Hulk would have ripped Stark into pieces much sooner than he would have Thor. Thor can take shots from the Hulk, and even hold him back to an extent. Stark can only last as long as his armor is functional.

Just saying that Thor is much closer in equivalency to Hulk than he is to Iron Man.

Puddles

Banned
The language of film shows that if Captain America had not intervened, Thor would have crushed Iron Man.

This is an inference without support from the actual film.

Regardless, there are better things to do than discuss the outcome of a hypothetical battle in which Cap had not intervened.

Cyan

Banned
Nope. I thought it was clear that Thor could destroy IM at any moments but that he restrained himself.

Thor was holding back in that fight. It was obvious.

Dude was holding back a bit too.

Man, what?

I mean, what I got out of the scene was that yes, Thor would have eventually won, as Iron Man was getting worn down. But holding back? Where are you even getting this?

It was a good old fashioned knock-down drag-out. There was nothing even suggesting either hero was holding back in the least.

Alx

Stark can only last as long as his armor is functional.

By the way, even if I'm ok with comic logic (and I love the overpowered technology of Iron Man lore), I'm still having a hard time accepting that IM's armor makes him invulnerable. It's ok for it to stop bullets or even tank projectiles (let's say it has a force field or something), but getting thrown into a concrete building that stops you on your tracks should turn your body into pink jelly, armor or not.

Wouldn't Iron Man and Cap be on the same level? And if it wasn't for the suit, Iron Man would be even weaker than Cap.

If it wasn't for the suit, Iron Man wouldn't be Iron Man. ;)

He hit him once at the end which shook Loki and Loki lost to him on purpose at the beginning to get captured. He was a distraction for Hawkeye to get the material to stabilize the portal generator.

The language of film shows that if Captain America had not intervened, Thor would have crushed Iron Man. It was a draw only because a sensible third party stepped in and said "stop being dumb or someone is going to get hurt." I can list you dozens and dozens of equivalent scenes in other films.

If Whedon wanted to show Iron Man as an equal to Thor, he would not have shown the suit get degraded so quickly just from Thor giving him a headbutt, or Thor's hands gripping the armor. He could have shown how both characters got back up just as quickly after taking a blow, but he didn't. As the battle went on, it was harder and harder for Tony to get back up, while Thor just bounces back even after behind blasted by a direct laser and crashing right through an entire tree.

Note: This is just the movie-verse. The irrelevant comic-verse does not matter here.

The funniest thing was the gauntlet crush is just intimidation. Like catching a guy's fist.
Hey, wait a second...that also happened!

C'mon Puddles, just give this one up, or watch the scene again. They're not near-equals, Tony didn't realize what he was going up against and his ego got in his way.

And then Cap arrived.

It was a good old fashioned knock-down drag-out. There was nothing even suggesting either hero was holding back in the least.

I am now wondering if we watched the same movie.

Thor does not press his advantage. He counters all of Stark's stuff swiftly with increasing damage. The one time he gets angry, he gives a headbutt that sends Tony flying with a dented helmet. He doesn't race into the sky, call a storm, throw his hammer through Stark's body, or simply put his hammer on his chest. All of the things he's done in his own film.

Instead, he tried to intimdate Stark as first, and when that doesn't work, was about to go to work.

Man, what?

I mean, what I got out of the scene was that yes, Thor would have eventually won, as Iron Man was getting worn down. But holding back? Where are you even getting this?

I can't believe people are making me defend this movie.

There are a few times during the fight that Thor just has this look on his face. It's like a person that keeps getting bothered by a bug or annoying child. He isn't angry or even in discomfort. He's just annoyed by Iron Man's attempts at trying to stop him. When he crushes his arms and head butts him that was his way of telling Iron Man that he was above him.

Puddles

Banned
The funniest thing was the gauntlet crush is just intimidation. Like catching a guy's fist.
Hey, wait a second...that also happened!

C'mon Puddles, just give this one up, or watch the scene again. They're not near-equals, Tony didn't realize what he was going up against and his ego got in his way.

And then Cap arrived.

I've watched the scene a few times now.

To me, it's pretty clear that it's meant to depict an equal fight.

I'm not going to bother arguing against an army of Thor stans though.

Cyan

Banned
By the way, even if I'm ok with comic logic (and I love the overpowered technology of Iron Man lore), I'm still having a hard time accepting that IM's armor makes him invulnerable. It's ok for it to stop bullets or even tank projectiles (let's say it has a force field or something), but getting thrown into a concrete building that stops you on your tracks should turn your body into pink jelly, armor or not.

Yeah, I thought about that once or twice. If nothing else, it'd smash your brain around the inside of your skull. So much for supergenius.

Log4Girlz

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree, like when Iron Man crushed Thor's arm. Wait.

Puddles

Banned
There is no more awkward feeling than when you're arguing against a united group of 10-12 people who are all wrong.

Great movie anyway.

Sciz

Just got back from a late night showing. Kickass film all around, one that they're going to have trouble topping in the future.

And I'm sure dozens of other people have said it by now, but this Bruce Banner needs his own film posthaste. sogood.gif

I've seen the movie twice now. Loki let Iron Man beat him just because he wanted to get captured. Same reason he didn't run away when Thor, IM, and CA were bickering.

Koodo

Banned
Since the current discussion is going nowhere, I'd just like to add Whedon is a generous soul for having Hemsworth and Renner sleeveless for the entire movie.

rOp1c.gif

3phemeral

I'm not a fan of either and it seemed pretty clear to me Iron Man would have eventually lost. As for being beaten twice, the first one was mentioned already:
it was deliberate. Second time, IM just shot the shit out of him with a single blast, but bailed as soon as the gateway opened, so not really a sustained, well leveled fight. Loki was still fine after that.

Except, I'm not a Thor guy.

I'm just someone who can tell when a real ass-whipping is about to begin.
He wasn't even trying.

suracity

Oh wait...

So after we have some ridiculous discussion on which movie is better between TDK and Avengers.

Now we are going to another round of ridiculous discussion on who is stronger between Thor and Iron Man?

Come on people... We get better things to discuss, don't we?

MrPliskin

Banned
There is no more awkward feeling than when you're arguing against a united group of 10-12 people who are all wrong.

Great movie anyway.

IronMan head but wiggles Thors head. Thor head but throws Iron Man several feet.

Yea, that seems equal.

Mr. Fix

Holy shit what a great movie. Audience was pretty active actually. The part where
Hulk interrupts Loki + leaves him with a traumatized look on his face
killed us. Great balance between action and social interaction. I was thinking it'd be just some Michael Bay-like film but damn was I wrong.

Puddles

Banned
I'm not a fan of either and it seemed pretty clear to me Iron Man would have eventually lost. As for being beaten twice, the first one was mentioned already: it was deliberate. Second time,
IM just shot the shit out of him with a single blast, but bailed as soon as the gateway opened, so not really a sustained, well leveled fight. Loki was still fine after that.

Okay.

Forget Thor. Let's go with Loki vs Iron Man.

Forget the Comic-verse. We're going only with what was in the movies.

Iron Man vs. Loki, Final Destination.

Is anyone here seriously picking Loki in this fight?

Cyan

Banned
I'm just someone who can tell when a real ass-whipping is about to begin.
He wasn't even trying.

Thor: I know something you do not know.
Iron Man: Yeah?
Thor: I am not left-handed. *flips Mjolnir to right hand*

Okay.

Forget Thor. Let's go with Loki vs Iron Man.

Forget the Comic-verse. We're going only with what was in the movies.

Iron Man vs. Loki, Final Destination.

Is anyone here seriously picking Loki in this fight?

Items on or off?

The movie just showed that human creations like armors are capable of giving almost equal footing to a 'god'. But it shows too that it is a dangerous game since armors get damaged and if you are caught without it, it is troublesome.
If anything the last scene only proves how balanced they can be on own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom