• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

What scenes did the audiences you were with react to best?

Pretty much every Hulk scene

Hulk Smash.
When banner said "I'm always angry, that's my secret" and then 1 punch KO that dragon thing.
When Hulk thrashed Loki around and called him a puny God.
When Hulk punched Thor off-screen.

There were so many great and funny moments though. Would be impossible for me to list them all.

Hulk was the star of the show. I didn't expect it to be so long though... thank goodness I went to the bathroom before I left the house and stood in that insane line on Friday night.

You sound like an old man.

I would add two:

Banner: "You want to know my secret Cap? I'm always angry."

Cap showing those two cops what's what.
you both forgot:

"Hulk? Smash."

*dastardly Hulk grin*

Fry

'We have an army'

'We have Hulk'

And Cap America giving instructions to the cop who says 'why should I follow your orders' made the audience laugh the most too.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, I was more talking about films in general. Marvel Studios films, yeah, I expect- nay, demand- they have teasers to the future designed to give fanboys erections, but everyone else should play around a bit more with it.
How amazing would it be if TDKR had a 60sec post-credit scene of Bayne and Batman just eating shawarma together in downtown Gotham.

And Cap America giving instructions to the cop who says 'why should I follow your orders' made the audience laugh the most too.
Yeah, that was one of Cap's best moments, along with "I understood that reference!".

Also, "he's adopted" was lovely.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
What scenes did the audiences you were with react to best?

From what I remember, in no particular order:

- Hulk punching Thor.
- Stark pointing out the Galaga guy and the scene after when the guy resumes playing. (The whole audience exploded on both parts)
- The Legolas quote.
- Hulk smashing Loki.
- Thor's "He's adopted"
- Pepper Potts messing with Stark and Coulson.

Is it? I can't remember anymore. I have the whole set in a box somewhere. I just remember him snatching his shit, and Xavier finally being like, "you know what? lemmie hold your mind, Magnus."

Yup. The Wolverine issue you posted was the aftermath. Them trying to keep Logan alive as they raced back to Earth.

I was surprised that many people caught the Galaga line. It had me in stitches.

Yeah, that was one of Cap's best moments, along with "I understood that reference!".

Haha yeah, that was the moment Cap won me over.

Yeah, biggest reaction at my theater was also when Hulk smashed Loki over and over. So much I had to look up what Hulk had said after the movie.

Yeah, biggest reaction at my theater was also when Hulk smashed Loki over and over. So much I had to look up what Hulk had said after the movie.

Two different showings and I still never heard the line. I knew it before I got to the theater, but people were still cheering at the glorious smashing.

That and "I am always angry." (Insert HULK SMASH PUNY DRAGONBOT WITH ONE PUNCH!) got the biggest audience reactions at both showings.

And on second showing (less enthusiastic fanboys and audience in general), there were a lot of gasps at The Son of Coul being stabbed.

Kud Dukan

Yeah, except for the midnight opening of Dearhly Hallows Part 2, I've never a a theatre react to a scene as much as that one. Brilliant.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Yup same here could not make out what he said besides god due to the pop and that had to be the biggest pop of the movie in my theater as well.

My theatre ERUPTED when they cut back to him playing. Probably the funniest bit in the entire film for me.

You think it's just usual Stark banter and almost forget about it but then BAM. Everything about that scene was perfect.

Overall, almost every scene with RDJ on screen was gold. Trying to fix the Helicarrier engine with Cap was pretty great.

Nelo Ice

Banned
That moment would have popped no matter what, but what I think made it even funnier was that Hulk interrupted his monologue to begin smashing. Just completely out of nowhere.

Yup no one saw him stopping Loki's monologue and the way he did was just amazing, I was dying after that along with the rest of the crowd.

Solo

You think it's just usual Stark banter and almost forget about it but then BAM. Everything about that scene was perfect.

At first I thought that's all it was. I was like "WTF is he talking about Galaga?" And then you see buddy playing it. L O fucking L.

Dilly

Banned

Overall, almost every scene with RDJ on screen was gold. Trying to fix the Helicarrier engine with Cap was pretty great.

Him bouncing around and just saying 'help' cracked me up.

Solo

The look on Loki's face on the floor was priceless too.

You know, as much as RDJ and Hulk carried the film, I think Hiddleston is really the unsung hero of the movie. His performance was fucking awesome. So much better than he was in Thor.

Tobor

Stark: Cap, what do you see?
Cap: I'm pretty sure this runs on electricity.
Stark: ... You're not wrong.

<3 that Whedon dialogue.

i went Saturday morning 12:10am(late Friday) and the line still stretched to the outside turning the corner lol. loved the movie :). it sucked when
that one agent guy died

BANNER: Did you see what happened?
STANTON: I saw you turn into that big green thing. Are you an alien?
BANNER: No
STANTON: Then son. You've got a condition

Brought the house down

Stark: Cap, what do you see?
Cap: I'm pretty sure this runs on electricity.
Stark: ... You're not wrong.

<3 that Whedon dialogue.

Did Whedon really write all these comic lines? If so, wow

Dead

well not really...yet
You know, as much as RDJ and Hulk carried the film, I think Hiddleston is really the unsung hero of the movie. His performance was fucking awesome. So much better than he was in Thor.
Hiddleston was amazing. The scene in the Hulk tank was incredible. He had the perfect mix of malice, mischief and outright being unhinged throughout.

Tobor

That moment would have popped no matter what, but what I think made it even funnier was that Hulk interrupted his monologue to begin smashing. Just completely out of nowhere.

Whedon loves that gag. He did the same thing in Firefly, when Mal kicks the guy into the ships engine in mid-speech.

Yeah I really loved the Helicarrier scene. There was a lot going on and it was all still very clearly directed and action packed. Plus seeing Thor fight The Hulk for the first time was fucking badass. Also Hulk catching the jet pilot...and Cap parrying that grenade...so many cool moments in that battle.

Solo

I;m kinda worried about Avengers 2. I mean, does
Thanos
have any kind of personality? It's going to be hard to top Hiddleston's sinister charm.

Fry

Indeed! That was what I said last night. Besides the Hulk show and Iron Man having his moments here and there, Loki stole the show for me.

He needs to be in the next movie.

I definitely want to see more of Loki as well, preferably in Thor 2, leading to the theft of the Infinity Gauntlet from Odin's vault. That's if they actually want to have Thanos be the main villain in Avengers 2.

Rogers' intro scene brought laughs too as the camera pans to reveal the row of bags. Also, the $10 bet he had with Fury was hilarious when he paid up. Audience enjoyed that

My theater erupted when Hulk caught the pilot when he tried to eject. Guy actually yelled out "GET YO ASS BACK HERE!" adding to the hilarity.

Lol that was great too. I didn't expect that. He thought he could get away

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone else get a real Bendis sort of vibe from it all? Might just be me trying to find a similarity between the comics, but the quips really had that vibe. The perfect comic book movie, imo.

Moaradin

Thanos
have any kind of personality? It's going to be hard to top Hiddleston's sinister charm.

Thanos is amazing. It will be very hard to get him on the big screen. Everything that dude does is crazy over the top.

Thanos

It will depend on who they get to portray him. Thanos could be a very psychologically interesting character in the right hands.

Nesotenso

Thanos

They could portray him as a Schizo Titan who thinks he sees death and in an attempt to woo death wants to destroy the universe. Straight up nihilist.

Thanos

Not quite.
He's obsessed with Death, and wants to kill everyone just to appease her.
He could come across as a tragic villain if done right.

Solo

Hmmm..... we just need more Hiddleston. He should at least pop up in Thor 2, I would imagine.

I know it might betray the comics (or not), but I would love it if he were to somehow switch sides between now and Avengers 2 and actually be an Avenger in it.

noah111

Still Alive
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! (at the exact same minute too, haha)

Hmmm..... we just need more Hiddleston. He should at least pop up in Thor 2, I would imagine.
He will, but not as the main villain or focus. I wouldn't want him to be too heavily involved in Avengers 2, tbh.

From what I remember, in no particular order:

- Hulk punching Thor.
- Stark pointing out the Galaga guy and the scene after when the guy resumes playing. (The whole audience exploded on both parts)
- The Legolas quote.
- Hulk smashing Loki.
- Thor's "He's adopted"
- Pepper Potts messing with Stark and Coulson.

What's the Galaga and Legolas scene again?

Indeed! That was what I said last night. Besides the Hulk show and Iron Man having his moments here and there, Loki stole the show for me.

He needs to be in the next movie.

He's back in Thor 2. If it follows the comic storyline, he may end up redeeming himself a bit.

Really they should just do a combo Iron Man/Hulk movie where Banner and Stark are bros just hanging out doing bro things while blowing shit up.

I'm really thinking Hulk will appear in IM III. Given that the actor signed for 6 movies, if you assume 2 more Avengers, 3 new Hulk movies, that leaves one left over. It makes sense for him to be in IM III. Especially since he
left with Stark at the end of Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom