• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I have to wonder if that bit about Bruce putting a gun in his mouth was a nod to Norton's alleged ending for the IH movie.

Also, on another note:

Was this any higher definition than 1080p? I was in the second to back row in my theater and it was crystal clear. Definitely the best looking movie I've ever seen. I couldn't believe the clarity - blew away any and all of my blu-rays.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Oh and by the way-Ant Man rocks.

If Marvel does go about adding new characters, I am hoping Nick Fury and SHIELD end up taking the backseat for a sequel. I don't think there is a need for them to help the Avengers get together if Marvel continues with the side stories in the solo flicks. I'd rather much see new characters rather than Samuel L Jackson eating more screen time since I don't believe Marvel is going to flesh out the character all that much.

Also, on another note:

Was this any higher definition than 1080p? I was in the second to back row in my theater and it was crystal clear. Definitely the best looking movie I've ever seen. I couldn't believe the clarity - blew away any and all of my blu-rays.

Depends on the theater's projector. I think the movie was shot with the RED cameras though. But for projection my local theater is only 2K and it looked phenomenal. There are some theaters with Sony 4K projectors. That would look nuts.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Also, on another note:

Digital Projection.

You need to learn how to contribute to a conversation rather than shitting on it for the sake of shitting on it. You add no valid points to back your opinion. It is obvious that Marvel is already pursuing an Ant-Man (most likely with Wasp) film, so it is highly likely that he will be included in the next Avengers, if the movie finally gets off the ground. If it does, it will be the second 2014 film from Marvel, released in the fall/winter.

And adding She-Hulk would not complicate matters. People know of her character, although most don't know her origin. She is a popular character that could add to a stand-alone Hulk film. She would be a new element that isn't an retread from the previous films, so Marvel should at least explore the idea.

It's going to be hard, but with what Marvel has done thus far, I have confidence they pull it off. I have more concern about Doctor Strange than Ant/Giant Man translating well on the big screen.

Id say it more depends on how well Ant-man does.

Doctor Strange - Magician. That's easier than explaining how a tiny man can help.

Also, on another note:

Most digital projectors out there these days are at least 2k.

I'm happy for Chris Evans and Ruffalo. Ruffalo seems like such a nice guy in interviews and Chris seemed a little down Cap doesn't have powers in contrast, but they've just starred in one of the most successful movies of all time as leading roles.

Tobor

I have to wonder if that bit about Bruce putting a gun in his mouth was a nod to Norton's alleged ending for the IH movie.

Definitely. It was a great moment too. They cut the scene because it was too graphic, but having Ruffalo talk about it and see the other characters reactions was excellent.

Tizoc

Best Hank Pym I could find so far =/
l0BaF.jpg

1EnY7.jpg

WfcoH.jpg

BigDug13

I think you can sometimes tell when a director/writer actually knows and admires the source material and is a fan of that material. Joss knew exactly what he wanted to do because he was already chomping at the bit to take on this material that he loved.

Tobor

Can you tell me more about this scene from IH? I haven't heard of it before

If you saw "The Avengers" then you heard Banner describe it. He goes off by himself and puts a gun in his mouth. He pulls the trigger. The "other guy" spits the bullet out.

It's a great scene, but Marvel couldn't show one of their heros with a gun in his mouth. Too graphic. In dialogue form, however, it works and get's the point across.

Caspel

Id say it more depends on how well Ant-man does.

Doctor Strange - Magician. That's easier than explaining how a tiny man can help.

I am sure you know, but I hope you realize he can grow to epic proportions in size.

john-buscema-giant-size-avengers-1-group-giant-man.jpg

While not nearly as strong as Hulk and Thor, his dynamic to the team would be a feat to pull off on the big screen. It will be tricky, but I also think Doctor Strange will be hard to pull off, too. He'll probably need a change in wardrobe, his powers are a contrast to what the team already has going (this is a good thing), and his villains are on par with Ghost Rider's meaning they aren't as relatable.

In any case, I am excited nonetheless for whatever Marvel decides to do with their next new character they plan to introduce, whether it be in the solo films, having their own solo film, or debuting in Avengers 2.

I am sure you know, but I hope you realize he can grow to epic proportions in size.

john-buscema-giant-size-avengers-1-group-giant-man.jpg

While not nearly as strong as Hulk and Thor, his dynamic to the team would be a feat to pull off on the big screen. It will be tricky, but I also think Doctor Strange will be hard to pull off, too. He'll probably need a change in wardrobe, his powers are a contrast to what the team already has going (this is a good thing), and his villains are on par with Ghost Rider's meaning they aren't as relatable.

In any case, I am excited nonetheless for whatever Marvel decides to do with their next new character they plan to introduce, whether it be in the solo films, having their own solo film, or debuting in Avengers 2.

That pic makes it look like Cap is throwing Thor.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Black Panther and Ant-Man could be super rad. Dr Strange is tougher to pull off, but if well done I would welcome the character. Maybe have his ego/magic play off Stark's ego/science.

Caspel

Black Panther and Ant-Man could be super rad. Dr Strange is tougher to pull off, but if well done I would welcome the character. Maybe have his ego/magic play off Stark's ego/science.

If Marvel could pull it off, I'd love to see Namor added in so we have the three popular superhero archetypes (science, magic, and mutant) covered. Namor would be even more difficult than Ant-Man and Doctor Strange.

Most of the team of the Avengers is compromised of non-powered or science-originated powers. I suppose Thor is magic related, but the team could do well with adding in a mutant or another magic user to mix it up.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Is it worth seeing this in IMAX 3D? I don't care for 3D in the least...but I feel as though I better experience this one more time in IMAX while I can.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
No it during the Fear Itself story arch against the God of Fear.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/53/SerpentBreakShieldFI5ByImmonen.png/220px-SerpentBreakShieldFI5ByImmonen.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That shield is c-tier now

[spoiler]Loki broke it using the Odin Force on Avengers: EMH.[/spoiler]

I've been thinking an Ant-Man film could work as a take on Die Hard. Have Pym be a scientist developing the pym particle stuff and the ant man suit in his lab with Jan as his assistant, then the facility is taken over by terrorists, so Pym and Jan jury rig Pym's lab experiments together into gadgets and suits in order to save everyone in the building, stop the terrorists and escape.

I feel like that really shows off the strong suits of Ant-Man, being a scientist who works through problems with clever tactics and invention rather than super powers and force.

Frankly this line of logic is a fallacy. At its time of release TDK broke days and weekend records and had huge legs that made it become just the second movie since Titanic to reach the 500m mark. Batman does appeal to a pretty friggin' wide audience. One could almost say a pretty friggin' similar audience to Avengers's.

there are more countrys than the US. batmans appeal WW is or was just 'good'.

Speevy

Banned
Uh, yes. What the fuck was so good about Heath as the Joker? I really don't get any of the admiration towards how he played him.

-Incredible acting performance
-He modernized/humanized the character
-Played against the audience's expectations of traditional villains
-Allowed us to explore another aspect of Bruce Wayne's character
-Great lines/funny
-Pretty much solely responsible for driving the movie's pace

I could go on, but the bottom line is that Heath's Joker is all at once scary and iconic, human and comic book.

-Great lines/funny

I could go on, but the bottom line is that Heath's Joker is all at once scary and iconic, human and comic book.

-He modernized/humanized the character Modernized? As in boring?
-Played against the audience's expectations of traditional villains How is this reflected through his performance?
-Allowed us to explore another aspect of Bruce Wayne's characterThis is what was written into the script, wasn't expressed by his performance
-Great lines/funnyHardly.
-Pretty much solely responsible for driving the movie's paceThe movie had a pace?

I've been thinking an Ant-Man film could work as a take on Die Hard. Have Pym be a scientist developing the pym particle stuff and the ant man suit in his lab with Jan as his assistant, then the facility is taken over by terrorists, so Pym and Jan jury rig Pym's lab experiments together into gadgets and suits in order to save everyone in the building, stop the terrorists and escape.

I feel like that really shows off the strong suits of Ant-Man, being a scientist who works through problems with clever tactics and invention rather than super powers and force.

That would actually be the perfect showcase for Ant-Man.

Uh, yes. What the fuck was so good about Heath as the Joker? I really don't get any of the admiration towards how he played him.
What is so great about this thing everyone else likes? I don't understand why everyone else likes it. Tell me why this thing everyone likes is so great so I can be indifferent to all of your reasons for liking it.

Also, GODDAM @ 200 mil. The movie deserves every cent.

-Played against the audience's expectations of traditional villains How is this reflected through his performance?
-Allowed us to explore another aspect of Bruce Wayne's characterThis is what was written into the script, wasn't expressed by his performance
-Pretty much solely responsible for driving the movie's paceThe movie had a pace?

What you left out already answers you:

Written character or not (he brought a lot to the character according to set stories), he delivered it amazingly.
If someone could have matched his performances or beaten it even, we won't know. What we do know, is that Ledger was great as Joker.

Cyan

Banned

NO U

What is so great about this thing everyone else likes? I don't understand why everyone else likes it. Tell me why this thing everyone likes is so great so I can be indifferent to all of your reasons for liking it.

Yep.

jett

D-Member
-Great lines/funny

:lol Why did you bother? Look at his response. This guy was trolling for attention.

Lol @ the just trying to be different comment. I genuinely don't understand why people adore that performance so much. It was so god damn bland and boring. But that's just my opinion. It doesn't affect me either way, glad to see there's a defense force for it though, pathetic really.

Can you really call it a "defense force" when you're in the minority? I need to update my references for overused internet slang, I suppose.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dude I think TDK is 75% pure trash, but Heath's Joker is fucking amazing.

Might as well argue that Pizza isn't delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom