• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xamdou

When all is said and done this movie should get close to 25% of Marvel's value when it was purchased by Disney.

I was thinking the same thing. Whoever was the exec at Disney that decided to buy Marvel Studios for $4 billion should get a raise. At this rate The Avengers total gross should come to be around 1 billion.

Sanjuro

Caught a late showing last night, I was pretty impressed. The last few years I scoffed at the entire idea of the film and with someone like Joss Whedon attached, really had little faith in the film being decent. They did a great job of balancing the characters screen time. Biggest fear was that it was going to be the ultimate cameo-fest. Instead they managed to take a roster of B-Level superheroes make them compelling, even more so than their own respective films.

Even Loki was a fairly fleshed out villian, despite him being nothing more than a pawn. That worked to the film's strength as I don't believe the alien villains could ever be remotely interesting to the audience.

On the way home, I tried to think of the best Marvel films and how they compare. This is easily my favorite alongside Spider-Man 2. Although with their track record that isn't very difficult.

Tizoc

cap_fear_1.jpg

Oh yeah which comic's that from? I guess there's a limit to how much it can reflect heh.

OH THAT REMINDS ME, anyone else liked that Hulk
couldn't lift Thor's hammer? Guess he isn't worthy yet

I like EW's write up about the box office:
EW said:
Puny Potter. Disney’s The Avengers smashed the opening weekend record by earning $200.3 million this weekend, according to studio estimates.

The prior record was held by last summer’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2, which debuted to $169.2 million. But The Avengers was the perfect storm: a highly anticipated 3-D action movie that combined the superheroes of several prior Marvel blockbusters while managing to stand alone as a well-reviewed, crowd-pleasing film in its own right. Oh, and it had a Hulk.

The $220 million picture started the weekend off with $80.5 million on Friday (the second-best opening day ever after Deathly Hallows — Part 2), and then added an estimated $69.7 yesterday for the biggest Saturday gross on record. If the estimates hold, it’ll become the first movie to reach $150 million domestically in just two days. Disney is projecting $50.1 million for today, which will also be a record Sunday gross if it comes true, beating The Dark Knight‘s $43.6 million Sunday tally.

Let the Hulk invasion of headlines and stories begin!

And soon I am expecting to see everyone start chiming in about how the numbers are bullshit compared to TDK because the 3D added so much money and technically Dark Knight still made more, etc.

My 7 & 4 year want to see this, so I "had" to go check it out since it's PG-13. I guess the comic violence was the reason, but this totally should be PG. So, now I'm going a second time with them.

I'm not sure, I can't remember all the stuff in there, but I really don't think it would have been a stretch for it to have been just PG.

Yeah, I said this earlier in the thread. I would definitely take a seven- or eight-year-old to see this, and maybe younger if they were "worldly" enough. There's one violent death and Hawkeye arrows a couple of good guys when he's enthralled, and that's it. Very very little blood and I think maybe Fury says "ass" once? I'm guessing the cumulative amount of mayhem upped it to PG-13 but it is soooo borderline.

Sanjuro

Yeah, the 3D was easily the best example of it being used in a big budget film. I can't think of a better example in recent history.

On the subject of bringing kids, of course. This film was designed to draw the 6-35 demographic.

My 7 & 4 year want to see this, so I "had" to go check it out since it's PG-13. I guess the comic violence was the reason, but this totally should be PG. So, now I'm going a second time with them.

I agree. I'm taking my kids in 2-3 weeks. The only thing that might freak them out is the Prometheus trailer, haha. It will be my 3rd viewing, my wife's second, and my kids first.

EDIT: My kid's current favorite movie is The Incredible Hulk. I swear that's all they want to watch. They are 3 and 5yr old girls who make daddy proud!

Lebron

Oh yeah which comic's that from? I guess there's a limit to how much it can reflect heh.

OH THAT REMINDS ME, anyone else liked that Hulk
couldn't lift Thor's hammer? Guess he isn't worthy yet

Was hoping he would actually lift that shit up and throw it back at Thor like he's done before.
Oh well, that would have made me pass out from too much nerding out so it's for the better.

eGregiovs

Neo Member
Tom Hiddleston IS Loki. Can't envision anyone else portraying the God of Mischief.

I'm ready to see
Thanos attack Asgard for the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor 2.

S79ic.png

This is crazy to look at after 10 days.

Imagine the increase in shawarma sales globally?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hulk was so fucking awesome in the movie.

And Scarlett Jo look incredible in her first scene...dat rack. :D

I'm ready to see Thanos attack Asgard for the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor 2.

The Avengers 2 is basically Marvel Super Heroes the movie. So awesome.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(As a little side-note: are all the origin story movies worth watching? I heard mixed stuff about the various movies, but I thought I'd ask.)

Yea, you should watch Iron Man, Thor and Captain America. I enjoyed those for popcorn super hero flicks.

Morn

Banned
$200 million is a mark that TDKR may not come close to on opening weekend. Avengers appeals to a wider audience than the last two Batman movies did.

Alucard

Banned
I'd like to see this again and try to think about it more objectively. I still think the beginning is pretty clunky and weak, and that not all of the dialogue, story, and character motivation works. The ending is spectacular, though.

jett

D-Member
$200 million is a mark that TDKR may not come close to on opening weekend. Avengers appeals to a wider audience than the last two Batman movies did.

Frankly this line of logic is a fallacy. At its time of release TDK broke days and weekend records and had huge legs that made it become just the second movie since Titanic to reach the 500m mark. Batman does appeal to a pretty friggin' wide audience. One could almost say a pretty friggin' similar audience to Avengers's.

Pointing out Avengers's 3D subcharge advantage would make more sense. :p

Docpan

Why does Avengers 2 have to limit themselves? Dude, think bigger. MARVEL SUPERHEROES the movie. Why the fuck not? Spidey, Xmen, Avengers, Daredevil.... Make it a fucking epic trilogy with shitloads of fights.

Tobor

Why does Avengers 2 have to limit themselves? Dude, think bigger. MARVEL SUPERHEROES the movie. Why the fuck not? Spidey, Xmen, Avengers, Daredevil.... Make it a fucking epic trilogy with shitloads of fights.

They don't have the rights to anyone you just mentioned, besides The Avengers. Not going to happen.

Marvel can't use the rights to those characters.

Hell, can we just make a sticky thread called "WHY THERE CAN NOT BE A MARVEL UNIVERSE FILM", would be useful

eGregiovs

Neo Member

Today's leading story: Disney just purchased Fox & Sony.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'd like to think there's an alternate ending scene where Joss just filmed the reveal to be Dr. Horrible instead of Thantos.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
How about we not add incredibly stupid characters like Ant-man, Wasp and let's not complicate matters with She-Hulk. There's no need for a 4th super strong character (Iron Man cheats, he has a suit).

Ant man sucks, let's not include him.

You need to learn how to contribute to a conversation rather than shitting on it for the sake of shitting on it. You add no valid points to back your opinion. It is obvious that Marvel is already pursuing an Ant-Man (most likely with Wasp) film, so it is highly likely that he will be included in the next Avengers, if the movie finally gets off the ground. If it does, it will be the second 2014 film from Marvel, released in the fall/winter.

And adding She-Hulk would not complicate matters. People know of her character, although most don't know her origin. She is a popular character that could add to a stand-alone Hulk film. She would be a new element that isn't an retread from the previous films, so Marvel should at least explore the idea.

Ant/Giant man would be an amazing addition, IMO. Would love to see him on the big screen.

It's going to be hard, but with what Marvel has done thus far, I have confidence they pull it off. I have more concern about Doctor Strange than Ant/Giant Man translating well on the big screen.

DieH@rd

Banned
Such an impressive box office weekend for Avengers.

200 mil in USA
+441 mil from international sales

I definitely think that there is a chance of surpasing TDK.

Saw it. I loved the parts where everybody was fighting. I loved the parts where everybody was talking. That's about the best you can do. #2 comic book movie after Dark Knight.

I'm glad that somebody finally figured out how to write Bruce Banner / Hulk right. Cheers, Joss. I hope Ruffalo stays with the role.

I hope Ruffalo stays with the role.

He's signed on for 6 more marvel movie appearances.

Izick said:
(As a little side-note: are all the origin story movies worth watching? I heard mixed stuff about the various movies, but I thought I'd ask.)

I love Thor and Iron Man, and I think Captain America is pretty great. Never bothered to see Incredible Hulk or IM2, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom