• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Haha! One weekend, Speedy! Dropping this in again to further his shame:

"By the way, Speedymanic and I did have a ban bet on this. Found it in an old thread:

Hell, I'll take it further. I'll bet a one month ban that it doesn't break the $200m barrier in the US. That's how confident I am that it's not going to happen.

Your funeral, bro. Easy money.

We'll see. Opening weekend will set the pace - 60-70m and it will be downhill from there.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=449319&highlight=avengers+iphone

You like apples, Speedy? :p"

Movie was awesome , but that's already been said. Some thoughts.
-Yay for trick arrows.
-What the heck is Captain America's shield made of? I want one!!
-Hulk is awesome.
-I've decided to make Black Widow my wife, sorry guys >__>
- Theater was packed and there was even a line. Funny cause everyone in my town hates that place.
-Can't I get Black Panther for the sequel

3N16MA

Banned
S79ic.png

This is crazy to look at after 10 days.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Can someone say CHA-CHING!

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel Press Releases tomorrow goes Avengers 2 & 3 is a GO!, Assemble @ your Theaters 2014 & 2015

I think the drop-off for next weekend will be miniscule, Amazing WOM + people wanting to watching it again (like me >.>;)

Wish Blu-Ray released right near/on TDKR release for Super Hilarity!

Also the fucking ads are everywhere
Whoever did marketing for The Avengers gets double thumbs up from me, it never gets boring, your eyes/brain will always go, MOAR! NOW!

I don't know why you guys are so surprised.... well, okay, so fucking high numbers are surprising, but not the fact it's a big hit. It was a huge movie event that has been building up for four years.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't know why you guys are so surprised.... well, okay, so fucking high numbers are surprising, but not the fact it's a big hit. It was a huge movie event that has been building up for four years.

I thought it would be a big hit but not this big. $641 million WW already is beyond what anyone predicted.

Izick

This movie was so fucking awesome. I came in, not seeing any of the origin movies, besides Iron Man, and I never really read any comics, so I'm coming in fairly blind I guess. Wow, were my expectations blown completely away. I expected it to be a pretty good movie, nothing amazing, at least not as amazing as we got, but shit...it was completely incredible. All of the characters just seem to work together on a perfect kind of synchronous level. Everyone has stuff going on, but it's nothing too distracting from the main plot, or it usually involves the main plot in numerous ways.

Even as someone with little knowledge of the franchise(s) here, I can still see that there was a lot of love for the fans in this film. I marked the fuck out when Thor hit CA's shield and it made that gigantic wave of energy, or when Iron Man shot his laser beam of CA's shield to kill a couple baddies. It all felt like it was made by someone who really respected the franchise, and that knew what the fans wanted, and what they would end up loving.

It was just amazing. As a huge Batman fan, I can appreciate how this movie kind of went the other way, but still remained serious, and gave just as many thrills. I never expected myself to say this, but it's really going to be tough for TDKR to top this film. This is definitely going to be one of the best Summers for movies in a long, long time.

(As a little side-note: are all the origin story movies worth watching? I heard mixed stuff about the various movies, but I thought I'd ask.)

Hindsight is 20/20. We've had a lot of lowballing of numbers for the Avengers for several months, avatar bets about how it wouldn't do that great, ban bets about how its gonna disappoint at the BO, etc.

So it's a nice turn of events to see that the movie is 1) awesome and 2) more successful then anybody even dreamed of. I mean, $200 million? In one weekend!?

witness

It was such a great movie. They all had their great big wow heroic moment, Thor using the empire state building as a fucking lightning rod being my favorite. They were all so good and so wonderfully written. My wife and I are ready to see this again!

It was what I imagined in my head when I played with those toys as a kid 20 years ago.

jett

D-Member
This movie was so fucking awesome. I came in, not seeing any of the origin movies, besides Iron Man, and I never really read any comics, so I'm coming in fairly blind I guess. Wow, were my expectations blown completely away. I expected it to be a pretty good movie, nothing amazing, at least not as amazing as we got, but shit...it was completely incredible. All of the characters just seem to work together on a perfect kind of synchronous level. Everyone has stuff going on, but it's nothing too distracting from the main plot, or it usually involves the main plot in numerous ways.

Even as someone with little knowledge of the franchise(s) here, I can still see that there was a lot of love for the fans in this film. I marked the fuck out when Thor hit CA's shield and it made that gigantic wave of energy, or when Iron Man shot his laser beam of CA's shield to kill a couple baddies. It all felt like it was made by someone who really respected the franchise, and that knew what the fans wanted, and what they would end up loving.

It was just amazing. As a huge Batman fan, I can appreciate how this movie kind of went the other way, but still remained serious, and gave just as many thrills. I never expected myself to say this, but it's really going to be tough for TDKR to top this film. This is definitely going to be one of the best Summers for movies in a long, long time.

(As a little side-note: are all the origin story movies worth watching? I heard mixed stuff about the various movies, but I thought I'd ask.)

In my opinion, NO. Iron Man aside, they range from horrible to mediocre, but your taste may vary. Some people here like Captain America, I think it's one of the worst things I've paid to watch.

KevinCow

Banned

I won't say that you will love all of them, but they're definitely worth watching because there are so many connections to The Avengers.

Iron Man 1 is generally considered the best, Iron Man 2 is generally considered the weakest, and the others fall somewhere in between. I personally thought Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America were all pretty great, Incredible Hulk was okay, and Iron Man 2 was kinda disappointing.

Tobor

Joss Whedon now has the biggest opening in history, and by a large margin. :)

My faith in humanity is temporarily restored.

KevinCow said:
I personally thought Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America were all pretty great, Incredible Hulk was okay, and Iron Man 2 was kinda disappointing.

That's exactly how they should be rated.

Docpan

I went to see the movie again and had to walk out because of an emergency after 30 mins. If i show my stub to management do you think they'd give me another ticket?

The movie opening huge is not a shock to many on here. But I think just how huge is what is making almost everyone go "holy shit!" It is obscene how huge that number is. TDK had a huge weekend and seemed safe in its record for a while, but it was obvious that Harry Potter 8 would set lots of records because of how huge a phenomenon it was. That record seemed almost untouchable, and it was only $10m or so past tdk record. But for Avengers to come along, when only one of the heroes in it having a monster hit, and just completely destroy the record is nuts.

I don't think anyone could have truly predicted it being this big. I know some on here said it would, but it came across as a joke. But who is laughing now? Marvel is.

I really enjoyed Thor, so much so that it is right up there with Iron Man...for me. Captain America was an enjoyable film, but I didn't like that they montaged a lot of the action in the movie and it took a lot away from it. I also liked Incredible Hulk (Ed Norton version) more than most. So I would highly recommend watching them all, especially Thor.

As for Iron Man 2.....It's not Spiderman 3 level of disappointment, but it was still a major letdown.

Tizoc

Movie was awesome , but that's already been said. Some thoughts.
-Yay for trick arrows.
-What the heck is Captain America's shield made of? I want one!!
-Hulk is awesome.
-I've decided to make Black Widow my wife, sorry guys >__>
- Theater was packed and there was even a line. Funny cause everyone in my town hates that place.
-Can't I get Black Panther for the sequel

Cap's shield is made from Vibranium, anything that hits the mineral can get reflected back to the source

Izick

Oh cool, so they basically set up the villain for A2 already? I wonder if they'll introduce him in another movie or what? Thanos in Thor 2 perhaps, or would that not fit?

Tobor

Hawkeye's arrows aren't getting enough love. They were awesome, varied, and the mechanism for changing the arrowheads was seriously cool.

He grabbed that arrow from the corpse and used it to escape! Bad ass!

Xamdou

Hawkeye's arrows aren't getting enough love. They were awesome, varied, and the mechanism for changing the arrowheads was seriously cool.

I liked the part when Iron Man calls him Legolas!

Izick

Yeah, I thought he was awesome as well. That no-look shot was absolutely badass.

Here is something crazy to think about the opening weekend numbers:
In its first three days, Avengers will have outgrossed the domestic total of every other Marvel Studios movie except Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

Nuts.

I have had a massive nerd boner for this movie for years and been so hyped, but I never could have seen something this huge at the box office.

I guess the new game this week on GAF will be "Guess how big of a drop Avengers will have in the second weekend." I don't think it will be that huge. Considering how small the Friday to Saturday drop was for a huge blockbuster, next weekend probably will not drop the normal 60% or so that these huge films usually do. Shit, if it drops 50% it will still make over $100 million dollars next weekend. Insane.

Izick

In its first three days, Avengers will have outgrossed the domestic total of every other Marvel Studios movie except Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

Nuts.

I have had a massive nerd boner for this movie for years and been so hyped, but I never could have seen something this huge at the box office.

I guess the new game this week on GAF will be "Guess how big of a drop Avengers will have in the second weekend." I don't think it will be that huge. Considering how small the Friday to Saturday drop was for a huge blockbuster, next weekend probably will not drop the normal 60% or so that these huge films usually do. Shit, if it drops 50% it will still make over $100 million dollars next weekend. Insane.

It should be interesting, because this is one of those rare movies where everyone is talking about going back for another viewing. I say that will definitely make the drop a lot less sharp.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Nuts.

It truly is a marvel (heh heh) of marketing. They spent 4 years building this movie up, introducing the non-comic public to characters they weren't familiar with. It's one thing to make a Spideman or Xmen film, but they went all out with Thor and Iron Man, characters that were not that widely known to the average movie goer. They did it great (hitting it out of the park with Iron Man). And now they get their payoff, and have almost a half dozen franchises to carry them for the next 10 years.

It should be interesting, because this is one of those rare movies where everyone is talking about going back for another viewing. I say that should definitely make it less sharp of a drop.

Exactly. And the fact that everyone keeps upping the daily numbers over and over again shows it is even stronger than they can imagine. Then you get next week where people tell their coworkers, and then the next weekend is huge again.

At work yesterday we had so many kids coming in wanting Avengers stuff. Especially Hulk. Almost made me cry to see so many kids want Avengers stuff like never before. Tears of joy.

It truly is a marvel (heh heh) of marketing. They spent 4 years building this movie up, introducing the non-comic public to characters they weren't familiar with. It's one thing to make a Spideman or Xmen film, but they went all out with Thor and Iron Man, characters that were not that widely known to the average movie goer. They did it great (hitting it out of the park with Iron Man). And now they get their payoff, and have almost a half dozen franchises to carry them for the next 10 years.

It is not just a marvel of marketing, but amazing that they actually pulled it off. It could have been just a slapped together team movie and still made good money. But they actually delivered a movie that was greater than everything leading up to it.

It should be interesting, because this is one of those rare movies where everyone is talking about going back for another viewing. I say that should definitely make it less sharp of a drop.

My 7 & 4 year want to see this, so I "had" to go check it out since it's PG-13. I guess the comic violence was the reason, but this totally should be PG. So, now I'm going a second time with them.

The drop would be closer to the TDK then SM3. The WOM is excellent, and people just keep coming back to see it again. I'm not expecting Avatar numbers, but I think it's gonna blow past TDK for biggest superhero movie, both domestically and worldwide.

Troll

Banned
When all is said and done this movie should get close to 25% of Marvel's value when it was purchased by Disney.

You get a better sense of how well this movie is doing by speaking to friends. Pretty much everyone I know is going to see this film, from obvious target market nerdy types to people who I pretty much never see going to the cinema.

EVENT FILMS YO.

You get a better sense of how well this movie is doing by speaking to friends. Pretty much everyone I know is going to see this film, from obvious target market nerdy types to people who I pretty much never see going to the cinema.

EVENT FILMS YO.

Almost everyone at my job went to see it and was gushing about it and how they wanted to see it again. And almost none of them have read a comic book ever and have only seen Iron Man 1 and none of the other Marvel Studios movies. The enthusiasm that all of them are having for it shocks me and makes me happy.

Izick

Exactly. And the fact that everyone keeps upping the daily numbers over and over again shows it is even stronger than they can imagine. Then you get next week where people tell their coworkers, and then the next weekend is huge again.

At work yesterday we had so many kids coming in wanting Avengers stuff. Especially Hulk. Almost made me cry to see so many kids want Avengers stuff like never before. Tears of joy.

It is not just a marvel of marketing, but amazing that they actually pulled it off. It could have been just a slapped together team movie and still made good money. But they actually delivered a movie that was greater than everything leading up to it.

I was in like the second best theater in a relatively smallish town (out of two), and the audience was still huge, and there was a kid there that was dressed up completely like Iron Man. It was awesome.

My 7 & 4 year want to see this, so I "had" to go check it out since it's PG-13. I guess the comic violence was the reason, but this totally should be PG. So, now I'm going a second time with them.

I'm not sure, I can't remember all the stuff in there, but I really don't think it would have been a stretch for it to have been just PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom