• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroGravity

Why is anyone comparing Avengers and Dark Knight?
Apples and Oranges people.......
They're both movies based on comic book superheroes. I think they're very comparable. Just because one has a completely different tone than the other doesn't change that, especially because I think one uses the perfect tone for these kinds of movies (The Avengers) and the other just misses the point and takes itself way too seriously (TDK).

They're both movies based on comic book superheroes. I think they're very comparable. Just because one has a completely different tone than the other doesn't change that, especially because I think one uses the perfect tone for these kinds of movies (The Avengers) and the other just misses the point and takes itself way too seriously (TDK).
Because all superhero movies must be tongue in cheek. I don't think its TDK that missed the point.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Tough crowd, TDK is 2nd tier now? Sure i liked BB better , but man TDK was one of the best comicbook movies ever imho.

effzee

Don't care what tone the superhero movie takes as long as it works, which both TDK and Avengers do.

Yeah and the tone works for Batman cause when Batman is pretty serious.

Taking itself way too seriously is such a stupid comment IMO when most comic book/Batman fans feel like Nolan finally did Batman and its characters right.

And when studios nowadays say they are rebooting or taking a similar approach as BB, they don't necessarily mean dark and brooding, but rather respecting the source material and audience enough to deliver a good product.

So Avengers in Dolby 7.1? HHNNNGGGGG. Ear candy. If you see it again definitely check the Dolby site to see which theaters around you have it.

You know what rocks? Coulson's death. It's fucking awesome. He's always been a fun minor character, but welcoming his death as a necessary final piece of motivation to bring the team together wholly defines him, and it ties all the movies together more than anything else does. It's perfect.

It's also satisfying to finally have Fury treated as an actual character, instead of a blank slate we're supposed to like simply because he's played by Sam Jackson (or because you read the comics I guess).

Yeah and the tone works for Batman cause when Batman is pretty serious.

Taking itself way too seriously is such a stupid comment IMO when most comic book/Batman fans feel like Nolan finally did Batman and its characters right.

And when studios nowadays say they are rebooting or taking a similar approach as BB, they don't necessarily mean dark and brooding, but rather respecting the source material and audience enough to deliver a good product.

Comic fans whine about new comic book movies taking the tone of BB/TDK but honestly which ones have? Feels like I'm missing something.

spectre-unleashed-3668.jpg

so thanos is one of the most powerful villains in the marvel universe and he just floats around in space on a chair?

Endo Punk

Looking at the last page you guys seriously missed the bet between Fury and Capn that occured 3 mins before? I suppose you forget the whole movie by now :p

Anyway I see some Avengers hate occuring. I truly feel it was like watching the pages of a comic book come to life. Definitely the best Marvel film.

dankir

What happened to Red Skrull I initially though the Skrulls would be the Alien race. Is he gone for good?

edit: Stupid non English keyboard! What happened to Red Skrull after he was teleported into space at the end of Captain America? I always though the Alien Race in this movie was supposed to be the Skrulls seeing that Red Skrull was teleported via the cube.

Or is he dead?

KevinCow

Banned
What happened to Red Skrull I initially though the Skrulls would be the Alien race. Is he gone for good?

I'm pretty sure Red Skull, Hugo Weaving's character in Captain America, is dead.

He is not a Skrull. Skrulls are something different from Skulls.

I especially loved this. They showed that pan sweep of the Avengers in the trailer, and I found it corny as shit.

But when I went to see the movie, that pan is fucking awesome in the proper context of the movie. I blame the guys handling the trailers for screwing that up. They made an awesome moment look pretty cheesy in the trailer.

my theater was cheering and clapping during that part. man, so fucking badass. a good portion of my enjoyment of the film came from watching with some crazy awesome fans

SmithnCo

You don't beam somebody through a portal into the great beyond if you want to kill them off. We're talking comic books here. And movies. And comic book movies at that!

Mmhm. They went through some effort to not kill him off.

I want to see him return, preferably played by Weaving again...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You don't beam somebody through a portal into the great beyond if you want to kill them off. We're talking comic books here. And movies. And comic book movies at that!

I wish the xmen were apart of the marvel movieverse. I would pay for imax to see a greying michael fassbender bury the red skull in a bunker in the desert with just enough water so he suffers.

Morn

Banned

edit: Stupid non English keyboard! What happened to Red Skrull after he was teleported into space at the end of Captain America? I always though the Alien Race in this movie was supposed to be the Skrulls seeing that Red Skrull was teleported via the cube.

Or is he dead?

Google Chitauri.

Izick

If you were the most powerful person in the universe, would you really give a fuck about anything? You basically either just let shit be and chill-out since nobody can mess with you, or you become Q and fuck with people.

i just remembered, what was the significance of that blonde waitress chick? they did one close up of her looking out the window, that lasted like a good 10 seconds, then another close up of her looking at cap, and then finally she did her testimony thing at the end

is she a character or just some producers daughter that wanted some screen time or something? just felt odd seeing her stick out like that, kinda like that one chick that was screaming in slow mo during transformers 1, while jazz (i think) was jumping over her

johnsmith

remember me
i just remembered, what was the significance of that blonde waitress chick? they did one close up of her looking out the window, that lasted like a good 10 seconds, then another close up of her looking at cap, and then finally she did her testimony thing at the end

is she a character or just some producers daughter that wanted some screen time or something? just felt odd seeing her stick out like that, kinda like that one chick that was screaming in slow mo during transformers 1, while jazz (i think) was jumping over her

Yeah I noticed that too. My theory is that the cap will finally find his dance partner in Captain America 2.

For some reason, I thought they'd play up that it was his granddaughter, or a future love interest.

Trey

He didn't see the bet prior to that scene?

Ah....fuck. You have got to be kidding me.

Exactly.

lmao you cant be serious

I thought the same thing, but then my friend pointed out the bet, which I completely missed, and I realized that they'd seen each other plenty of times before, and I felt dumb.

Me too, except I didn't catch it until my second viewing. I was like "Why was he tipping him? I get the joke but Cap knows who he is..." then on the 2nd view I caught the $10 bet line and was like "OH WOW"

But taking the "He's adopted" joke to mean adopted kids are evil is the dumbest fucking thing. Really? REALLY?

I somehow noticed the line about the bet, but then completely forgot about it and the fact that Captain America had ever even met Nick Fury like five minutes later.

I don't even know how.

I actually thought the same thing at first and laughed way louder than I should have. I had, too, forgotten that (very forgettable) scene between Fury and Cap, and couldn't believe Whedon had the stones to make that joke in this movie. It was a gradual process over a few minutes before I arrived at the memory of the bet and the much more reasonable, but much less funny, truth became apparent to me.

gatti-man

Just got back from the theater......I kind of can't believe people were comparing this to TDK. Not even remotely close. Not even close to BB.

Extremely cheesy writing/melodrama, zero sense of urgency or danger, terrible terrible terrible villain (I was seriously waiting for Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa to come out of that portal), tons of mindless action, etc. Had Hulk not turned out the way he did, I would have walked out.

Well i know to never take your opinion seriously. Not everything has to be LIKE tdk to be as good as tdk. The movie is awesome, reviewers think so the public thinks so. Its amazing that they made this film work. In my wildest dreams i could never imagine achieving such greatness with loki as the main villain. Seriously the people attached to this project knocked it out of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom