• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
About Loki's adoption:

Am I the only one who thinks that being adopted is in fact a very big part in his character development into a wannabe fratricidal and genocidal dickhead?

I got the impression in Thor's movie that finding out that he's different and not really Odin's son was what make him resent Thor's position as the older brother and that this jealousy made him try to prove himself a worhty son/king by disabling his father, getting his brother killed and/or exiled and wipe out a planet of his own kin. The usual stuff, you know.

I don't know anything about comoc book Loki, just going by the way his movie actions were shown.

How you can something besides "whelp, we're not that related, don't blame me" out of the joke, though, I don't know.

Well it seemed to me he already had plans to be Odins chosen, and manipulated Thor when he went to Jotunheim by immediately telling Odin. But yeah i agree he turned even more violent when he confronted Odin about knowning the truth etc etc.

Alx

Well it seemed to me he already had plans to be Odins chosen, and manipulated Thor when he went to Jotunheim by immediately telling Odin. But yeah i agree he turned even more violent when he confronted Odin about knowning the truth etc etc.

It was more than manipulation : it was the right thing to do, since Thor punitive expedition wasn't a very good diplomatic move (of course it didn't help that Loki himself organized the first intrusion of the giants, although he only wanted to ruin his brother's party).
The funny thing about Loki in the Thor movie is that he was right :
Thor was about to sit on the throne of Asgard, and he would have been a very bad ruler (being arrogant, selfish, violent, ... and a bit dumb).
He was already bitter for seeing his brother get the power when he saw himself more suited to the task (and would clearly be if he were less treacherous), and learning that he wasn't of Asgard blood probably made things worse.
In the end he tried to "fix" things peacefully at first (Thor exiled on earth, him killing the giants and redeeming himself in the eye of Odin - ok maybe not so peacefully as far as giants are concerned, but he wanted to cut that link too), and only started to become fratricidal when things went out of his control (ie Thor's friends trying to get him back to Asgard)

Hiddleston is 6'1". Tall, but not Hemsworth tall.

Gotta say, Cobie Smulders looks pretty different here compared to HIMYM. Almost like a different facial structure.

It is all the weight loss. She is like a rail compared to how she was when HIMYM first started. Still hot, but not as hot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hiddleston is 6'1". Tall, but not Hemsworth tall.

It is all the weight loss. She is like a rail compared to how she was when HIMYM first started. Still hot, but not as hot.
I must say, I'm not at all in favor of skinnier for skinny's sake and without having seen her I'd agree with you on spec, but for whatever reason she never really jumped out at me in HIMYM, but I'm a little obsessed with her as Hill. Could be the uniform. And the gifs.

I must say, I'm not at all in favor of skinnier for skinny's sake and without having seen her I'd agree with you on spec, but for whatever reason she never really jumped out at me in HIMYM, but I'm a little obsessed with her as Hill. Could be the uniform. And the gifs.

And the attitude. She was hot as Hill though. Hotter than she has been on HIMYM these last couple of seasons. Maybe she just went overboard with the after baby weight loss.

Slayven

Who's first? Tony Stark?

Sorry, I have such a hard time reading anything with Tony Stark after Civil War. It completely ruined him and other characters for me.
Sally Floyd

MxINs.jpg

suracity

Who's first? Tony Stark?

Sorry, I have such a hard time reading anything with Tony Stark after Civil War. It completely ruined him and other characters for me.

Nah, it depends. I just hate the person who came up with this "Civil War" idea...

Therefore I hate to see iron patriot. It is just so ironic and seems it is laughing at all the struggles, all the conflicts, all the scarifies in the civil war. I can't stand for such a thing, a mixture of Iron Man and Captain and wore by Norman Osborn...
And nobody succeeded, just everybody lost.

Tizoc

Who's first? Tony Stark?

Read the 7 Nightmares, it makes Tony awesome again, pretty much the majority of Matt Fraction's Ironman run is good.

JaseMath

Saw this last night - super great. My only real complaint is that the final 45 minute climax went on a little too long for my liking; started to get just a little bored. I've read that people were becoming bored of the banter between characters, but not me - I thought it was great. Also, the
Thanos
reveal at the end end was pretty cool. I have to admit I don't know anything about him and recognized him solely based on his MvC game appearances. :lol

noah111

Still Alive
Just got back, god damn it's good. I stand by that this is one of the best comic book/super hero movies of all time. Just goldenly paced, and a perfect theater movie. People loved it.

Took a bunch of nephews and cousins with me this time, and by the time it was done, they were each shouting how they loved a certain character and mimicking the action. :lol I also appreciated Captain America more the second time around. I still think more could've been done with his leadership and (esp. tactical) strengths, but he still had a good showing and performed well enough.

Everyone loved the movie, though. From my older bother and law to my several year old nephew, despite the slow start, it was a great, fun, balanced, action movie. Can't wait to see if they can keep it up.

3N16MA

Banned
Not baiting, just hurtin' cause its true. He knows it too and hence no response.

I don't think anyone expects Skyfall to be a $100+ million OW film. None of the other Bond films have done something like that so it would be foolish to even compare a potential $100M 2nd weekend from TA to Skyfall's OW. Expecting $600M+ WW is more like it which is solid business.

Solo

I don't think anyone expects Skyfall to be a $100+ million OW film. None of the other Bond films have done something like that so it would be foolish to even compare a potential $100M 2nd weekend from TA to Skyfall's OW. Expecting $600M+ WW is more like it which is solid business.

You mean to tell me that a franchise whose highest domestic cum gross is $167M isn't a shoe-in for a $100M OW?!#$%^&* WHAT IS THIS MADNESS

Bond was, is, and shall forever be an international franchise.

artist

Banned
Yeah, I'm just comparing it from franchise to franchise. Bond films overall have made more money but its just so many of them, dime a dozen, quantity over quality .. its just a shitty lower tier/rung.

Btw, overseas numbers are in. 21M Friday. 854M WW now.

3N16MA

Banned
Yeah, I'm just comparing it from franchise to franchise. Bond films overall have made more money but its just so many of them, dime a dozen, quantity over quality .. its just a shitty lower tier/rung.

I'm might be more hyped for Skyfall than any other Bond film. Big fan of Mendes.

artist

Banned
Add atleast 70M from domestic and its at 924M. So it needs 76M from overseas to hit the 1B mark and tie Avatar/Alice's record. Still doable.
I'm might be more hyped for Skyfall than any other Bond film. Big fan of Mendes.
Mendes fan too. Not a fan of the series though.

I have no stake in this argument, and yet you're still kind of irritating. Yes, Avengers was a brilliant film, and I would go so far as to say it was better than the large majority (but not all) of the Bond films. My question, though, is what on earth makes this relevant to the current discussion?
It wasnt meant for you. :)

I have no stake in this argument, and yet you're still kind of irritating. Yes, Avengers was a brilliant film, and I would go so far as to say it was better than the large majority (but not all) of the Bond films. My question, though, is what on earth makes this relevant to the current discussion?

Solo

He is sore over some forgotten event which I cannot even recall which has led to him incessantly trying to bait me for going on two years now.

It's not relevant to the thread, but that's why its here.

artist

Banned
He is sore over some forgotten event which I cannot even recall which has led to him incessantly trying to bait me for going on two years now.

It's not relevant to the thread, but that's why its here.
Gee, I started the Skyfall comparison last week. Think too highly of yourself, just like your broheims Sculli and jett.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oh good, you guys weren't done! I thought duckroll coming in was going to put a stop to all our fun...

Don't get banned over this!!!

Edit: Oh wait, that was the other thread! Woot!!!

FyreWulff

I guess I have to explain the missed reply now: To make a long story short, the court artist in Jennifer Hudson's trial cannot draw her husband (who is also a wrestler) David Otguna at all.

What David Otunga looks like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Otunga_in_London.jpg

What the court artist thinks he looks like in their latest drawing (the previous one also didn't look like him at all either):

http://washingtonexaminer.com/files/styles/article-main-image/public/fileRYOGXD

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Avenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom