• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

Saw the movie on Friday night and thought it was fantastic. Years ago I predicted this movie would be a miserable flop (both in terms of quality and business), and I'm glad I was wrong.

It sounds like mine too- I think it'll be great, I'm expecting Iron Man 1 quality.

The conditions in which it's being made are no different to the previous films though, which seemed to be your big issue. Soullessness and all that. Unless the lack of Avengers tie-ins is enough to make you less cautious about studio involvement, I dunno why Shane Black alone fixes your qualms to such a great extent.
I am still a bit worried that the classic Marvel Studios coldness might infect the film.
When it ends up being great, you should say that it was really all because of Feige though. Cause he's the producer.
When Iron Man 3 pulls in 800M+ WW I won't be claiming it's all because of Shane Black, because it won't be.

0317_nymq.gif

America! Fuck Yeah!

Read that last night. Such a hype moment.

tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg

Just finished my re-read of it yesterday. First time in about 15 years. I have to say, it was more awesome as an adult than it was as a teenager. And worse as well. But that moment is still one of the most badass moments Cap has ever had. Even after Thanos
breaks the shield, Cap just stands up with a "Is that it? Pussy!" look on his face.

Slime

Banned
So bummed that I missed the post-post-credits scene. :( Some guys behind me were saying "it's not over yet" but I left after the Thanos scene because I thought they were full of it. Should really pay attention to nerds.

Anyway, that was one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. I haven't had this post-movie euphoria in years, but ever since I got back from the theatre I've found myself grinning every time I think about it. Loved every minute of it and can't wait to see it again.

So bummed that I missed the post-post-credits scene.
Speaking of which, I have the hunch that that scene was not filmed to be an actual scene but something filmed while the actors were taking a break, and a 'reference' to it inserted earlier.

Or maybe I'm nuts.

Tobor

Speaking of which, I have the hunch that that scene was not filmed to be an actual scene but something filmed while the actors were taking a break, and a 'reference' to it inserted earlier.

Or maybe I'm nuts.

You're nuts. They were brought back together after the premiere and shot that scene. Chris Evans is covering his face with a prosthetic and his hand to hide his full beard.

So bummed that I missed the post-post-credits scene. :( Some guys behind me were saying "it's not over yet" but I left after the Thanos scene because I thought they were full of it. Should really pay attention to nerds.

Anyway, that was one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. I haven't had this post-movie euphoria in years, but ever since I got back from the theatre I've found myself grinning every time I think about it. Loved every minute of it and can't wait to see it again.

wait it WAS over at my cinema WTF??

I specifically waited until the last credit rolled down the screen, then there was some green screen and it was DONE, the lights turned on, everyone left and NOTHING happened...

Did my theater screw me out of a post post credit scene? :(

what was it anyway?

You're nuts. They were brought back together after the premiere and shot that scene. Chris Evans is covering his face with a prosthetic and his hand to hide his full beard.

Ah. That was part of my theory. Cap's posture didn't make any sense to me, so I thought it was an onset lunch while someone rolled camera.

I didn't get to see it the first time, and after the second time waiting to the end, my friend and I went and had lunch at a Greek restaurant. :D

Yo, Thanos just broke Cap's shield with a pimp slap.

Because that is what Thanos does. At least with the Infinity Gauntlet. He is essentially God with it.

Yes, Cap lost. HARDCORE. But what makes it so badass is the fact that Cap stands up to essentially the lord of all reality and tells him he will not back down. He fights until there is nothing left. He will never back down. (Except for the end of Civil War where he gets dragged away crying like a little bitch after he handed Iron Man his ass on a plate) And that is why Cap is the man.

Infinity Gauntlet.

Keep posting panels and show how stupidly Thanos loses it to Nebula.

Because Thanos wanted to lose it. As Adam Warlock told him:
Deep down, you know you are not worthy of it. And you always give us the means to stop you because you know you do not deserve that power.
Or something to that effect.

Slime

Banned

I specifically waited until the last credit rolled down the screen, then there was some green screen and it was DONE, the lights turned on, everyone left and NOTHING happened...

what was it anyway?

Are you in the UK by any chance? I think it premiered over there a bit earlier minus the scene, so that could explain it. If not your theatre techs are just assfaces. :O

The scene was all of them sitting in a restaurant eating shawarma.

johnsmith

remember me

what was it anyway?

It was only in the US and Canada. Other countries didn't get it.

Ashhong

what was it anyway?

edit: already answered.

Oh and why? Because AMERICA!

Because that is what Thanos does. At least with the Infinity Gauntlet. He is essentially God with it.

Yes, Cap lost. HARDCORE. But what makes it so badass is the fact that Cap stands up to essentially the lord of all reality and tells him he will not back down. He fights until there is nothing left. He will never back down. (Except for the end of Civil War where he gets dragged away crying like a little bitch after he handed Iron Man his ass on a plate) And that is why Cap is the man.

Wait, Cap kicked IM's ass at the end of Civil War? How did this go down?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Saw it tonight, thought it was sort of boring. Except for all the Hulk stuff, which was amazing.

Was it ever explained why Hulk was trying to kill everyone on the helicarrier, but then when he showed up in NYC Banner was able to keep the Hulk totally composed?

I think it was supposed to be Loki mojo at work though it wasn't explained well at all.

That, or the security guard telling Banner that the Hulk likely chose to land in a place where he wouldn't hurt anyone gave Banner the confidence to Hulk up. Meh.

Didn't like how they handled that. Last Hulk movie implied he had managed to get control over that. In the Avengers, he's shooting himself in the head to let the emo out and crabbing about he's a liability.

Also, why did the Hulk have belly fat? That was weird.

Got back from my second viewing a couple hours ago. Same theater, 2D digital once again. Another full house (some guy walked in before previews started, saw the seats almost entirely full, and exclaimed "but it's Sunday night!") but a lot less laugh prone than my opening weekend viewing. I got the feeling I was just one of many repeat viewers.

I think the second viewing just solidifies my initial impression that it's a very enjoyable movie, but not quite up to the first Iron Man. It's very solidly second place in all the recent Marvel movies in my mind. Absolutely nothing in the movie got any reaction out of me (even the Loki ragdolling) on the repeat viewing, something that was not true when I rewatched Iron Man.

Lot of credit to this thread for pointing out things to watch for on the repeat viewing, though. And I did get to see the helicarrier lift off and why Loki had forced a crowd of Germans to kneel before him - these were scenes I missed the first time around because of the food truck event in DC I had gone to prior to seeing it.

Wait until you can frame by frame it at full resolution. ;P

Sometimes I'm surprised people get any work done at the office. ;)

I'm not looking forward to this at all actually - something about the way Loki's ragdoll moves when the Hulk pauses catches my eye every time.

I think it was supposed to be Loki mojo at work though it wasn't explained well at all.

That, or the security guard telling Banner that the Hulk likely chose to land in a place where he wouldn't hurt anyone gave Banner the confidence to Hulk up. Meh.

Didn't like how they handled that. Last Hulk movie implied he had managed to get control over that. In the Avengers, he's shooting himself in the head to let the emo out and crabbing about he's a liability.

That was a deleted scene in The Incredible Hulk, you essentially find that Bruce is right, you can't simply shoot Banner thinking it will kill him in regular form, his other half won't let him die.

Tobor

That was a deleted scene in The Incredible Hulk, you essentially find that Bruce is right, you can't simply shoot Banner thinking it will kill him in regular form, his other half won't let him die.

It's also reinforced in the climax of The incredible Hulk. He drops from the helicopter and transforms during impact with the ground.

JdFoX187

Banned

Voluntary transformation gives Banner more control over Hulk. Involuntary transformation due to stress, anxiety, anger, etc. is a complete crapshoot. It's not implied very well in the movie. And I'm pretty sure the bullet to the mouth was before the events of The Incredible Hulk, but I could be wrong on that.

ReiGun

(Except for the end of Civil War where he gets dragged away crying like a little bitch after he handed Iron Man his ass on a plate)

I don't know. I liked Cap being the only hero to realize that all the heroes scrapping in the middle of the street wasn't doing anyone any favors.

Tobor

Voluntary transformation gives Banner more control over Hulk. Involuntary transformation due to stress, anxiety, anger, etc. is a complete crapshoot. It's not implied very well in the movie. And I'm pretty sure the bullet to the mouth was before the events of The Incredible Hulk, but I could be wrong on that.

It's a deleted scene, but I'm not sure what the part of the movie it was intended for. Marvel felt it was too graphic.

I don't know. I liked Cap being the only hero to realize that all the heroes scrapping in the middle of the street wasn't doing anyone any favors.

That aspect was in character, but the crying and being hauled away just pissed me off. At least he put Tony in his place at the end of it.

dankir

Question about the scene at the end of the movie where Loki gets up only to have the entire Avengers team staring him down, Hawkeye arrow in his face and all.

Was that shot later on after the film was almost done? Chris Evans looked CG and just about everybody else, something wasn't right about it.

suracity

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrjb0uLFE31qbmcovo1_500.png

Cannot find scans of the fight, but Cap just would not stop until Stark was beaten.

I hated Civil War. It destroyed Iron Man for me. I only see Tony Stark as a complete asshole and traitor to his friends after it.

Have you seen the Civil war: confession and casualties of war?

I actually think both of them have a reason to insist to the last.

And it just reminds how bad I feel about civil war. I need to read some avengers prime to recover....

ReiGun

Hey, no one's saying Tony didn't have a good argument. But that kinda gets lost in all the superhero extra-dimensional internement camp, murderous Thor clone, giving Spider-Man armor under the guise of friendship only to bug the thing to hell and back (real dick move considering Spidey publicly revealed his identity to help Tony's case, causing himself and his family tons of distress), and working with the fucking Thunderbolts over Captain America.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrjb0uLFE31qbmcovo1_500.png

Cannot find scans of the fight, but Cap just would not stop until Stark was beaten.

I hated Civil War. It destroyed Iron Man for me. I only see Tony Stark as a complete asshole and traitor to his friends after it.

That was Round One. In the rematch...

1100727-1005299_983102_096_civil_war__7_cbr___page_19_super_super_super.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

At least he didn't turn into Joe Fixit.

Civil war pretty much made Iron Man look like a joke. Spiderman practically destroyed him at one point. Yet Spiderman only managed a stalemate with Cap. (Which is bullshit.)

Yeah rip apart the Superman analog, barely hold your own vs a guy with none of the speed, strength, or agility. The guy who probably couldn't actually hurt Spidey with a punch since Spidey's muscles are extremely dense etc...

suracity

Hey, no one's saying Tony didn't have a good argument. But that kinda gets lost in all the superhero extra-dimensional internement camp, murderous Thor clone, giving Spider-Man armor under the guise of friendship only to bug the thing to hell and back, and working with the fucking Thunderbolts over Captain America.

Nah on that we can agree. Tony believes ends justify means, but in the end there are no ends and the means become horrible.

So Marvel studios please just leave civil war alone forever, don't touch it... just don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom