• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Watched it again last night with the Whedon commentary. Very cool and informative.

"Always put a Gwyneth in the frame" cracked me up.

Askani

So...me and my girls are trying to have movie night. Of course, not finding a software player that will play the dvd on my PC. Awesome. Thanks for screwing me on buying a real disc again! Anyone have PC software that plays this correctly?

Quick

Banned
So...me and my girls are trying to have movie night. Of course, not finding a software player that will play the dvd on my PC. Awesome. Thanks for screwing me on buying a real disc again! Anyone have PC software that plays this correctly?

What?

The DVD doesn't play normally on Windows Media Player?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

VLC Player.

Askani

VLC skips as you play the disc. There's currently no fix.

WMP tells me "Windows Media Player is currently unable to play DVD video. Try decreasing the number of colors displayed on your monitor or decreasing the screen resolution. For additional solutions, click More Information to access the DVD Troubleshooter."

grendelrt

WMP tells me "Windows Media Player is currently unable to play DVD video. Try decreasing the number of colors displayed on your monitor or decreasing the screen resolution. For additional solutions, click More Information to access the DVD Troubleshooter."

You could try XBMC

Try Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

LosDaddie

Banned
Obtrusive? Nah, I barely noticed the 3D in the theater.

I'll report back what I thought of the 3D next week. The 2D blu-ray is fantastic, though. Up there with PotC and Avatar.

3D was solid....Maybe better than what I remember from the theaters.

Still, the 3D doesn't enhance the movie in any way. It's just kinda "there", and doesn't really distract.

On the deleted scene, Cap goes through dossiers of people he worked with, all of them with a red "Deceased" stamp, except for Peggy. Her dossier had her current address and phone number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehn8RqOt7U

I feel like they're saving their reunion/phone conversation for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Stan Lee's cameo was the best part of Capt's deleted scene. I hope Marvel uses the scene in CA2.

Zampano

Watched this on Blu yesterday and as excellent as I remember from the cinema. There were parts where I nearly cheered - on my own in my man cave. So damn heroic.

Did notice a continuity error though - they forgot to light up Stark's chest through his Tshirt in the scene just after the
attack on the SHIELD Carrier
when Fury is dressing them down.

Tedesco!

Watched this on Blu yesterday and as excellent as I remember from the cinema. There were parts where I nearly cheered - on my own in my man cave. So damn heroic.

Did notice a continuity error though - they forgot to light up Stark's chest through his Tshirt in the scene just after the
attack on the SHIELD Carrier
when Fury is dressing them down.

It was also off during the meeting with Loki at the tower.

a little late but can someone explain why all the Chitauri just shut down after the mothership was destroyed? I thought they were organic alien creatures not robots.

or is it just one of those things where we just take it as is and make up our own explanation?

a little late but can someone explain why all the Chitauri just shut down after the mothership was destroyed? I thought they were organic alien creatures not robots.

or is it just one of those things where we just take it as is and make up our own explanation?

It's because Anakin blew up the mothership.

Wait, what?

Yknow what the Chituari shutting down is really lazy writing and Joss even states that it is an issue with the conclusion.

I feel a much better conclusion would have been the cavalry arrives. Maybe Sheild or the military show up after the portal closes and the Chitauri are cut off. You can still have the Stark resurrection scene and aftermath that ends with Lokis confrontation.

Maybe it adds a few minutes but it makes more sense. They were organic after all.

Yknow what the Chituari shutting down is really lazy writing and Joss even states that it is an issue with the conclusion.

I feel a much better conclusion would have been the cavalry arrives. Maybe Sheild or the military show up after the portal closes and the Chitauri are cut off. You can still have the Stark resurrection scene and aftermath that ends with Lokis confrontation.

Maybe it adds a few minutes but it makes more sense. They were organic after all.

Sadly Shield wasn't shown to be of any real use outside of bossing / bullying people, and even then Shield's representation was limited to Sam Jackson, Sherbotsky, and that guy from the other movies.

I agree Shield should have played more of a role in the movie so Captain America wouldn't have to waste his damn time pulling levers.

Slayven

Maybe it is just me, but I thought this Chituari was a race that Thanos exterminated and reanimated using his unique brand of tech and dark arts. Old school Thanos would never employ an army of the living. ANd busting the ship shut down that's branch's router.

yeah the military did show up, but I wish Fury sent his own ships...or maybe that was too complicated for his personnel to fly in an urban environment.

Maybe it is just me, but I thought this Chituari was a race that Thanos exterminated and reanimated using his unique brand of tech and dark arts. Old school Thanos would never employ an army of the living. ANd busting the ship shut down that's branch's router.

thats a great personal explanation, but i wish something like was actually brought up in the movie.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
yeah the military did show up, but I wish Fury sent his own ships...or maybe that was too complicated for his personnel to fly in an urban environment.

thats a great personal explanation, but i wish something like was actually brought up in the movie.

How would they know something like that?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I quite enjoyed the movie (And i dont follow the comics) i wish there was more Thor though
MOAR THOR FOR AVENGERS 2 PLS!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Here's a crapload of conceptual art from The Avengers:

http://andyparkart.cghub.com/images/page:1/

044_stream.jpg

881_max.jpg

423_max.jpg

110_max.jpg

449_max.jpg

072_max.jpg

725_max.jpg

915_max.jpg

261_max.jpg

god damn @ that concept art. Some of the best in the biz IMO.

And I love Cobie Smulders' hair in this film. So perfect for the character. Nice to see it was in the concept art!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I quite enjoyed the movie (And i dont follow the comics) i wish there was more Thor though
MOAR THOR FOR AVENGERS 2 PLS!

yeah but that costs more money , when thor gets pissed skies turn black, the wind howls tand the atmosphere is filled with blinding lightning. Even in this movie they skimped on that, they spent money but also were frugal about it, with A2 hopefully there will be some real fury of the storm when thor is unleashed.

smr00

Banned
Watched it again last night with the Whedon commentary. Very cool and informative.

"Always put a Gwyneth in the frame" cracked me up.
Who all is in the commentary? Just Whedon? And is it the video/video commentary like some blu-rays do or just the movie with voice over?

Gonna pop this in later today and watch it.

Aske

Just Whedon, but it's great commentary.

Seconded. The man knows how to commentate, and it's by far the best special feature.

But the disc is very bare-bones otherwise. I hope we have confirmation of an extended edition with more features and additional commentaries in a couple of weeks - after they've sold all the BDs they can over the holidays.

Here's a crapload of conceptual art from The Avengers:

http://andyparkart.cghub.com/images/page:1/

044_stream.jpg

881_max.jpg

423_max.jpg

IMG]http://cghub.com/files/Image/381001-382000/381268/110_max.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://cghub.com/files/Image/381001-382000/381232/449_max.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://cghub.com/files/Image/372001-373000/372178/072_max.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://cghub.com/files/Image/372001-373000/372144/725_max.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://cghub.com/files/Image/372001-373000/372106/915_max.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://cghub.com/files/Image/372001-373000/372094/261_max.jpg[/IMG]

Holy fuck. Spectacular.

I'll just leave this here.

RiffTrax: The Avengers

Earth’s Mightiest Generators of Studio Cashflow, Assemble! These heavy-hitting Marvel heroes (and also some bow and arrow guy) are finally together in one place, thanks to Samuel L. Jackson’s commitment to hanging out after the credits in their movies. Enjoy the fruits of his passive-aggressive labor, a big superhero flick written and directed by the GREAT, FLAWLESS AND IRREPROACHABLE JOSS WHEDON (internet law requires we write his name that way). Once fans got over their disappointment that the film’s roster didn’t include iconic Avenger Dr. Druid (I know, I know, we still can’t believe it either) they had to agree this was a pretty fun movie.

And it is fun, once you get past the Iron Man quips, the malnourished art major Loki as primary villain, generic robo-creature-guys from space or wherever -- once you get past all that, you have the true emotional core of the movie. Agent Coulson, and his barely-mentioned offscreen romance with a cellist who recently moved back to Portland. That’s what it’s really all about, True Believers.

So shout “Excelsior,” try to keep your eyes from rolling out of your head at the inevitable Stan Lee cameo, and join Mike, Kevin and Bill for The Avengers!

Sample Video

pahamrick

amazing work from ilm, as usual. i hope marvel corrects their mistake (with iron man 3) and hire ilm for avengers 2.

Well, considering that Disney now owns ILM through their acquisition of Lucas Arts I think it'd be a pretty safe bet that ILM will be the official go to effects house for the Marvel movies going forward.

S1kkZ

Well, considering that Disney now owns ILM through their acquisition of Lucas Arts I think it'd be a pretty safe bet that ILM will be the official go to effects house for the Marvel movies going forward.

i dont think thats how it works (or does sony imageworks do all the cg stuff for sonys films?).
but it would be great.

i dont think thats how it works (or does sony imageworks do all the cg stuff for sonys films?).
but it would be great.

I think Sony only owns the rights to Spiderman, not the other Marvel characters (which Disney own). Take this with a grain of salt because I honestly can't remember who owns what.

Dram

Sony owns Spider-Man, Ghost Rider and maybe Men In Black I think? Fox owns Fantastic Four and X-Men. Those are the only ones Marvel doesn't have back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom