• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll put the writing, acting and direction of the Marvel films up against Star Wars any day.

yoda-is-disappointed.jpg

I'm not even a Star Wars fanboy but I can't really see any Marvel studios film being as fun as the first one was.

Hell I'll say Nolan's comic book films too.

edit: speaking of which, TDKR as on some Return of the Jedi shit. Was not happy with that movie.

J10

Banned
Suddenly the criticism goes from 'this movie sucks because of plot hole x' to 'this movie sucks because it wasn't good enough to make me remember the thing i thought was causing the plot hole.'

Sounds like you went in looking for a reason to not like it when you start doing shit like that.

Suddenly the criticism goes from 'this movie sucks because of plot hole x' to 'this movie sucks because it wasn't good enough to make me remember the thing i thought was causing the plot hole.'

Sounds like you went in looking for a reason to not like it when you start doing shit like that.

I go in blind, if a movie is good I'll like it.

Some movies are just forgettable. Even removing the plot hole the movies aren't that good.

They are like a Kinder Surprise. Hollow on the inside and filled with crappy stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I go in blind, if a movie is good I'll like it.

Some movies are just forgettable. Even removing the plot hole the movies aren't that good.

They are like a Kinder Surprise. Hollow on the inside and filled with crappy stuff.
Wow I don't know what's going on but based on your criticism of Kinder Surprises I'm going to wager that you're a bad person.

There's five, but I find you really need to only watch three (Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America) to get the full "depth" of Avengers with Hawkeye and Widow having the weakest "motivation" and development. My analogy still stands.

Hawkeye did have motivation which was to take down Loki as payback for the whole mind control thing he did to him.

That explosive arrow was great.

Slayven

Take out the nostalgia factor, Star Wars is fun and was eye opening for it's time. But I like Avengers more and think it's better. The cast chemistry alone is leaps above SW, beyond C3PO, Han Solo, and R2D2 the rest had no presence.

Take out the nostalgia factor, Star Wars is fun and was eye opening for it's time. But I like Avengers more and think it's better. The cast chemistry alone is leaps above SW, beyond C3PO, Han Solo, and R2D2 the rest had no presence.

That opening shot in ANH STILL blows my fucking mind.

I can't even begin to comprehend how audiences reacted 35 years ago.

Dai101

Banned
Also, Phil Coulson would beat the shit out of Han Solo. That you couldn't even remember his name despite him appearing in four movies tells me how little attention you were paying. It's cool if you like Star Wars better than Avengers, but fuck Star Wars.

You're my new best friend ;)

Jimothy

I think Star Wars is better simply because it created an entire movie universe in just 2 hours. Most of the praise for The Avengers comes from people's previous knowledge of the characters through comic books and movies. The Hulk and Iron Man teaming up is cool because they're already iconic characters, not original characters who needed to be fleshed out before they could do cool shit. If someone came into The Avengers without a clue to who Tony Stark or Bruce Banner are, I doubt they would enjoy them teaming up at the end as much as someone who already has previous experience as to who they are as characters. That may be an unfair criticism, but I think it's valid when comparing a movie like The Avengers that has years of prior media to utilize, with Star Wars which needed to setup an eclectic gallery of characters in a very short period of time to engage its audience.

Anth0ny

I love Avengers. It's my favorite film of 2012, and one of my favorite of all time.

But Star Wars and ESB are on a whole other level. It's better than Jedi, I'll give it that.

Empire>ANH>All Marvel Studios films>ROTJ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>prequels

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So what's the verdict on comparing this movie and The Dark Knight? I haven't seen the TDK yet. Much more of a Marvel fan with all this wild shit going on and I don't know anything about Bane but I still enjoy TDK and heard great things about it. Dunno how it held up to, ya know, Avengers.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
avengersvsnolanites.png

Different movies. Batman was too drawn out and Avengers was slow at the start.
Yeah, it was dumb question but probably not stretched as far as comparing something like Exorcist to Ghostbusters.

I didn't think The Avengers was slow much at all. Yeah, it was slower in the beginning compared to the rest of the movie but was still contained with lots of action.

I suppose if I had any complaint to pull out the top of my head, it would be the last 45 minutes or half hour of the movie gave me a bit too much deja-vu. Way too similar to the last Transformers movie. Could just be me but kind of felt same-old-same-old. Still very enjoyable nonetheless. I am nitpicking.

I suppose if I had any complaint to pull out the top of my head, it would be the last 45 minutes or half hour of the movie gave me a bit too much deja-vu. Way too similar to the last Transformers movie. Could just be me but kind of felt same-old-same-old. Still very enjoyable nonetheless. I am nitpicking.

You can only blame yourself for even watching the last Transformers movie. ;-)

Finally saw this. I disliked it for easily the first 20 minutes, the plot device stealing scene felt forced and abrupt without any characterization yet, and then jumping between all the characters felt really disjointed, I thought it was attempting to do way too much with too many characters and not enough time for each. But then once they all got together it just worked so well, the way so much personality comes through in the way bicker with each other and the way they develop into a team as they interact happens so naturally. The action sequences were a lot of fun too of course, but it's the way it handled characterization and development that really blew me away and made it feel great to me. I haven't seen any of the films about the individual heroes either.

Also Mark Ruffalo was outstanding as Bruce Banner.

Cipherr

Finally saw this. I disliked it for easily the first 20 minutes, the plot device stealing scene felt forced and abrupt without any characterization yet, and then jumping between all the characters felt really disjointed, I thought it was attempting to do way too much with too many characters and not enough time for each. But then once they all got together it just worked so well, the way so much personality comes through in the way bicker with each other and the way they develop into a team as they interact happens so naturally. The action sequences were a lot of fun too of course, but it's the way it handled characterization and development that really blew me away and made it feel great to me. I haven't seen any of the films about the individual heroes either.

Also Mark Ruffalo was outstanding as Bruce Banner.

Thank you based Joss Whedon! But yeah, Ruffalo was fantastic as Banner. Strange, because I wasnt sold on him at all, and I hadnt seen the recent Hulk films. But he was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom