• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pankaks said:
What do you mean they aren't bad guys? They kill everything with a heartbeat...

Tali's my go-to girl, but the Geth are only considered hostile because they were forced into the position. They were not hostile the moment they became sentient, only whne the knee-jerk Quarian reaction was to wipe them all out. Understandably they faught for their own existance, and since everybody else hates them they went into hiding.

Keep in mind between the Quarian Vs Geth incident and Mass Effect the Geth hadn't shown their faces in citadel space.

I like the Geth because they symbolise a missunderstood being that's unfortunate situation is through no fault of their own. Hence why I'm really looking forward to Legion's involvement in Mass Effect 2, as they've got great potential to have more to do with the overall story arch beyond just being bad guys.

Nab

Action figures for any big Mass Effect fans out there...

1262803973uqLKql8vD5.jpg

EatChildren said:
Tali's my go-to girl, but the Geth are only considered hostile because they were forced into the position. They were not hostile the moment they became sentient, only whne the knee-jerk Quarian reaction was to wipe them all out. Understandably they faught for their own existance, and since everybody else hates them they went into hiding.

Keep in mind between the Quarian Vs Geth incident and Mass Effect the Geth hadn't shown their faces in citadel space.

I like the Geth because they symbolise a missunderstood being that's unfortunate situation is through no fault of their own. Hence why I'm really looking forward to Legion's involvement in Mass Effect 2, as they've got great potential to have more to do with the overall story arch beyond just being bad guys.
So what is their excuse for assisting the reapers in the planned genocide of the entire galaxy? That's just about the worst thing that could be conceived, and you think they are good?
:lol

Twig

Banned
elrechazao said:
So what is their excuse for assisting the reapers in the planned genocide of the entire galaxy? That's just about the worst thing that could be conceived, and you think they are good?
Well, he does have a sort of point. Reverence and worship and religion frequently become an "excuse" for actions in stories and then the people get over the hump and realize oh our gods are wrong it's time to take them down instead of kowtowing all the time.

Only this time they're robots.

As a race, they were driven into exile by their original creators. That's pretty fucking disheartening, innit? They found solace in the godlike reapers and now follow their every whim. I mean, it's not unprecedented or impossible that they end up seeing the "error of their ways" sorta fing.

TheOneGuy said:
Well, he does have a sort of point. Reverence and worship and religion frequently become an "excuse" for actions in stories and then the people get over the hump and realize oh our gods are wrong it's time to take them down instead of kowtowing all the time.

Only this time they're robots.
So we would say that people committing genocide "aren't bad at all"? I get that they maybe don't think they're doing wrong, but to godwin this discussion, neither did the nazis. Just because one convinces oneself of the correctness or morality of one's actions doesn't make them "not bad".

Twig

Banned
elrechazao said:
So we would say that people committing genocide "aren't bad at all"? I get that they maybe don't think they're doing wrong, but to godwin this discussion, neither did the nazis. Just because one convinces oneself of the correctness or morality of one's actions doesn't make them "not bad".
I wouldn't say anything. I said "a sort of point"!! I'm merely arguing on his behalf because it's not an impossibility that the Geth end up good guys in the end. Or at least "redeemed guys."

TheOneGuy said:
I wouldn't say anything. I said "a sort of point"!! I'm merely arguing on his behalf because it's not an impossibility that the Geth end up good guys in the end. Or at least "redeemed guys."
Well, if you've watched the "enemies of mass effect" video, you see that legion does not require the collective to maintain his intelligence (he's a free roaming geth) with his own morality and independence. And therefore will be making his own judgments and possibly doing "good" things.

Twig

Banned
elrechazao said:
Well, if you've watched the "enemies of mass effect" video, you see that legion does not require the collective to maintain his intelligence (he's a free roaming geth) with his own morality and independence. And therefore will be making his own judgments and possibly doing "good" things.
Yeah, which even more supports the possibility of the Geth turning around as a whole.

Obviously Legion is an anomaly, from all we know, though.

I'm going to assume Legion's going to be this game's Wrex. i.e., "I want to save my race but I'm the only one" sort of deal.

On the other hand, he might just like killing things and Shepherd is an enabler... like everyone else so far.
exaggeration

MCermak said:
I think it's more of an uncanny valley effect going on with the Miranda character. The actress she's based on is gorgeous. Something is just off about the game counterpart.

In some of the videos she looks okay though.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.
I'll wait to see how she is in-game but in quite a few of the screenshots she just looks...off.

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah, which even more supports the possibility of the Geth turning around as a whole.

Obviously Legion is an anomaly, from all we know, though.

I'm going to assume Legion's going to be this game's Wrex. i.e., "I want to save my race but I'm the only one" sort of deal.

On the other hand, he might just like killing things and Shepherd is an enabler... like everyone else so far.
exaggeration

I'd be all over an evil shephard allowing legion to slaughter everyone who pisses me off :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
elrechazao said:

Because from the moment they came into a self aware existance they've had no single other race in the galaxy attempt an alliance with them. They were immediately attacked by their creators in an effort to wipe them all out, and were automatically considered hostile by the rest of the galaxy.

Along comes Saren and Sovereign with promises of salvation and other such bullshit and they jump on board.

I dont think they are 'good', but I dont think they're clearly an evil villain type character even if they're pushed as enemies. I'd love for the franchise to dig deeper into their reasoning, their being, and their place in the universe.

I find them facinating. Like that sidequest in Mass Effect where you have to go blow up a bunch of Geth outposts and what-not in the Armstrong Nebula. When you beat the final Geth the text says that in the next room there is a computer terminal showing a Quarian singing mournfully to a group. I like stuff like that as it makes them seem like they've got more depth than originally let on.

EDIT: To summarise I simply think the Geth are seeking meaning and reason for their existance. Their first questions asked what the purpose to life was and why they are here, much like any other sentient species would. The Quarians attacked, so the Geth saught answers eslewhere, ultimately worshipping the Reapers as they're the only species with similar traits.

As for legion, who says he is not too seeking reason for existance? Much like the Geth idolise the Reapers, Legion idolises Shepard. Maybe Legion sees something Shepard, or even the human species, that could give purpose and reason to life.

Why Thane is much more appealing as a character than Miranda, even if he is an alien and she's modeled after Yvonne ? Am I doing it wrong Gaf, or did Bioware ?

Twig

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Big lips are so hot. DSL's, baby.
no they are most definitely not

P.S., To all those complaining about Miranda: She looks waaaaaay better than Ashley. Technically speaking only. Her lips are hideous of course.

Dennis

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
Why Thane is much more appealing as a character than Miranda, even if he is an alien and she's modeled after Yvonne ? Am I doing it wrong Gaf, or did Bioware ?
No, he's just a handsome dude.

SonfodonCD said:
Yeah, I really don't get the hate.

This is a comparison I made up real fast. Besides the angle not lining up exactly and the photo being in black and white, it works.
MirandaLawsonvsYvonneStrahovski.png

Outside or make-up and hair color, what's so different?

Well Miranda's face is slighty wider around the mouth / chin area, and they completely fucked up Yvonne's eyes, unless that was an artistic choice....also Miranda's eyebrows are a tad bit too thick.

Other than that it's pretty good, my issue with Miranda is mainly her eyes.

Twig

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
I liked Miranda better in that one video with the old guy at the screen talking about Shepherd.

But I don't even remember if she said anything substantial in that video so. X:

In fact, all of these "Heeeeeeere's Johnny!" videos are just dumb and probably paint the characters in a much worse light than we'll actually see in the game.

EatChildren said:
As for legion, who says he is not too seeking reason for existance? Much like the Geth idolise the Reapers, Legion idolises Shepard. Maybe Legion sees something Shepard, or even the human species, that could give purpose and reason to life.
I didn't say he wasn't seeking that. Legion doesn't idolize shepard, at least that we know of. The only media we've had so far says he's obsessed with him and is hunting him to kill him. Obviously he won't, and based on the achievements he'll be joining him.

squicken

anddo0 said:
This has probably been answered.. But, the 360 controller will be an option for us PC users right?

No. It's very disappointing, considering all the crap we hear about the PC being an open platform and how it can do anything and support any setup blah blah blah. Most games don't support the controller natively, and emulators suck for the most part.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
squicken said:
No. It's very disappointing, considering all the crap we hear about the PC being an open platform and how it can do anything and support any setup blah blah blah. Most games don't support the controller natively, and emulators suck for the most part.

Actually most games coming out for the PC now do have native support for the controller. Games like Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 are stands in that they don't have support, but it is for a completely valid reason: their interfaces have been designed around making the most of the mouse and keyboard.

Guess what guys :D

I just got a call from IGN UK in confirming that I've been selected to attend the Black Beta for Mass Effect 2 next Thursday in Central London :D I can bring one person along with me. So if you can be in London next Thursday, contact me either through PM or say so there

anddo0

squicken said:

I'm fine with the M/KB, it's just puzzling why they would leave out that option.

Xamdou

Meus Renaissance said:

I just got a call from IGN UK in confirming that I've been selected to attend the Black Beta for Mass Effect 2 next Thursday in Central London :D I can bring one person along with me. So if you can be in London next Thursday, contact me either through PM or say so there

Congrats! Sadly I live in S.F, Cali but do post in depth impressions of the game after wards!

KAL2006

Banned
OK I haven't been keeping up with Mass Effect 2 news, but just watched a few videos on Gametrailers and now I'm hyped. The class walkthroughs, make it hard to choose what am gonna use.

I have a situation, I recently got a gaming pc, and I dont know which version I should get. When I had Mass Effect 1 I had the 360 version (didnt have a gaming PC back then). I didn't mind the controls with the 360 version and didnt get the compaints. Anyway I'm not a fan of mouse and keyboard (e.g I got Left 4 Dead 2 on 360 because I prefer the controls that PC version). I know it supossed to be better but I'm not use to it. Anyways are the contols on PC version really supposed to be that much better, also how much will the graphics improve on PC version.

I'm having a hard choice choosing between PC and 360 versions. Help!

squicken

Stallion Free said:
Actually most games coming out for the PC now do have native support for the controller. Games like Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 are stands in that they don't have support, but it is for a completely valid reason: their interfaces have been designed around making the most of the mouse and keyboard.

It's not like they don't have those libraries from the 360 version available, or are somehow storage constrained.

CoD6, FEAR2 and Wolfenstein did not support the controller. It's the exception, not the rule, in my experience.

squicken said:
It's not like they don't have those libraries from the 360 version available, or are somehow storage constrained.

CoD6, FEAR2 and Wolfenstein did not support the controller. It's the exception, not the rule, in my experience.
Well you are unfortunate to have such a biased experience I guess.

Nab

Meus Renaissance said:

Grah, I potentially could get there but I doubt it. Money I dont have to spend on trains, just to play a videogame, even if it is as awesome as Mass Effect 2...

Well, we expect in depth analysis of your time with the game!

tried playing Mass Effect 1 again but the mako parts just keep me from continuing the game, so i guess whatever i did on my first playthrough will have to suffice. It'll be a good surprise to see what decisions i made seeing as how i forgot everything besides
saving my love Ashley and Mr. Bad ass himself Wrex[/spoilers]:D

Nab

Meus Renaissance said:
Do you guys think I should post a thread on the main Gaming section so someone has a better chance of noticing my invitation?

What self respecting Mass Effect fan doesn't keep tabs on this thread? Give it a while. :)

You could always find a date in a local videogame store, that'd be a great way to make a first impression, act "connected." :p

mYm|17|

Just got mine pre-ordered at gamestop with the trade in 1 eligible game for $20 credit, so I put it towards ME2.

My gamestop is having a midnight release too

I've been avoiding media on this game...

Sorry for not reading the thread, but does anyone know if they've fixed the interface for equpping/comparing items on the 360 version? That was the one thing that killed the first game for me. Whenever I picked up a new item I found it unintuitive to go to the options screen and compare it with my other items.

So, how many more bonus characters to reveal before launch, or will we only find out when we get the game? I'd rather like to find them in the game without being shown before hand.

I just saw Mass Effect 2 on Steam. It wasn't there this morning which is why I pre-ordered with Direct2Drive. And it had the price, unlike on Steam. Why did it take Steam so long? EA being pricks?

Wiggum2007

According to the OXM review, there is no Mako/Mako equivalent vehicle, just the Kodiak dropship which drops you off at side mission locations. Someone on the Bioware forums posted a scan of the magazine page that includes this info, so it's definitely real.

So the new Mako got scrapped I guess. I was interested to see how they improved on it from ME1, they even talked about the improvements in interviews in such. Oh well, those were definitely the weakest parts of the first game so if anything had to be cut I'd pick that.

Nab said:

Two months ago I hypothesised that Shepard was/would be a clone or some kind of hyrid between man and machine.

Wiggum2007 said:
According to the OXM review, there is no Mako/Mako equivalent vehicle, just the Kodiak dropship which drops you off at side mission locations. Someone on the Bioware forums posted a scan of the magazine page that includes this info, so it's definitely real.

So the new Mako got scrapped I guess. I was interested to see how they improved on it from ME1, they even talked about the improvements in interviews in such. Oh well, those were definitely the weakest parts of the first game so if anything had to be cut I'd pick that.

How do you then explore the planets and get from location A to location B? By the way, what score did it get?

Wiggum2007

Meus Renaissance said:
How do you then explore the planets and get from location A to location B?

Mineral scanning, etc. takes place from orbit, while the dropship drops you directly at the sidequest location on the planet.

And it got a 9.5

+ Enveloping universe filled with interesting characters and revealing side stories.
+ Outstanding, flexible combat in gorgeous environments.
- Main story is a bit disappointing; dull element mining and hacking.
? Why do characters cry oil slicks?

To elaborate on the bit about the main story being disappointing, the reviewer talks about how the "main quest is a slow burn that takes awhile to pick up steam", but the best parts of the game are side missions and conversations involved in gaining the loyalty of your squad members, and these individual stories are very engaging.

They also mention that uncovering the mystery of the Collectors and Reapers is 'irresistible', but (super vague bit about final boss, spoiled for the hypersensitive)
"the final boss seems like it belongs in an entirely different universe".
Whatever that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom