• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Dandy said:
Everybody loves Nodacrux. :lol

Driving the Mako was fun, I wouldn't mind a racing mini game actually.

Seriously, I like the Mako a lot really. I got really good at driving that POS, which made me feel special, but when I got to Nodacrux I was like "fuck this game." Most planets werent too bad, but goddamn Nodacrux and like two others that were almost as bad as it really tested my skill and patience. Thankfully, or not, Im totally OCD about games and getting every so I couldnt just leave those planets without checking the entire map.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Enduin said:
Seriously, I like the Mako a lot really. I got really good at driving that POS, which made me feel special, but when I got to Nodacrux I was like "fuck this game." Most planets werent too bad, but goddamn Nodacrux and like two others that were almost as bad as it really tested my skill and patience. Thankfully, or not, Im totally OCD about games and getting every so I couldnt just leave those planets without checking the entire map.

The thing about Nodacrux was that there was only one, maybe two ways you could even get to most things. With most of the other planets, you could kinda go diagonally up and inch your way across until you were at the top.

Not so with Nodacrux. You had one way, and if you screwed up climbing, you had to start over from the bottom.

What I found interesting from the review is that you don't recieve XP from individual kills anymore, but from finishing the mission.

Going by that and the level 30 we've seen in all the class videos thus far, with more points farther into a tree costing 2,3, or 4 skill points, I'd almost be willing to say that's the new baseline cap.

Talon

I make a point to never preorder games, but I put down $20 on this at GameStop earlier today. Granted, that $20 came from their promo (Godfather II trade-in), but, still, I couldn't be more hyped about this game.

Hell, I think the last game I actually preordered was Chrono Cross.

Metroidvania said:
What I found interesting from the review is that you don't recieve XP from individual kills anymore, but from finishing the mission.
Shame, getting little bits of XP all the time and creeping nearer to a level allowing you to level up mid-way through a mission and start using a new ability right then is always cool.

Darkflight said:
Shame, getting little bits of XP all the time and creeping nearer to a level allowing you to level up mid-way through a mission and start using a new ability right then is always cool.
That seems lame. I always went out of my way to kill everyone and everything for the reward of doing so XP wise, and fun wise.

The worst thing about the Mako was when playing the game on the hardest difficulty the Mako was useless. The characters become stronger and better as you played the game but the Mako got better shields? Fine on normal difficulty. Not fine on Hardcore. And the shields took too long to replenish.

Metroidvania said:
Did they even mention it was going to be XP? They might as well just give you 1 skill point for finishing a quest or something.

Edit: If you get 2 points per level then 30 sounds about right.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
K.Jack said:
But there was just one planet...

I know exactly the planet you're referring to (although, like you, don't remember the name). You wouldn't believe how many times I got mad at whoever designed that planet, that nameless individual sitting in his cubicle laughing at our misery.

Doodis

Meus Renaissance said:
Man some of those people on that forum are complete dicks
Yeah, it's a good resource for breaking game news, but man, those threads devolve into meaningless arguments in a hurry. Much more so than GAF, even. :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This has possibly already been discussed in this massive thread, but WTF at all the bonus armor sets!!??

Pre-ordering gives crazy armor, having Dragon Age gives crazy armor, just buying the CE also seems to give crazy armor. Does this game just want to overpower you from the getgo? Has there been any real descriptors about how, where, and what these bonus armors show up and affect gameplay in any dramatic way?

I'm sitting here debating where to order from because I have no idea which super armor I'd rather have. Disgusting kinda.

Brandon F said:
Pre-ordering gives crazy armor, having Dragon Age gives crazy armor, just buying the CE also seems to give crazy armor. Does this game just want to overpower you from the getgo? Has there been any real descriptors about how, where, and what these bonus armors show up and affect gameplay in any dramatic way?
Well in dragon age you only got a single piece of armor in the beginning and even then you couldn't use it until you got 10 or more levels.

Inferno
Negotiation bonus 10%
All power damage 10%
Increases storm speed by 10%

Terminus
Increases sprint speed by 10%
All weapons have +1 magazines of reserve ammo
Increase shields + 15%
Also none of that seems overpowered.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lostconfused said:
Well in dragon age you only got a single piece of armor in the beginning and even then you couldn't use it until you got 10 or more levels.

Also none of that seems overpowered.
Not to mention it was useless 2 more levels after that...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Brandon F said:
This has possibly already been discussed in this massive thread, but WTF at all the bonus armor sets!!??

I'm sitting here debating where to order from because I have no idea which super armor I'd rather have. Disgusting kinda.
The Digital Deluxe Edition gives 2 armors and two weapons.

I was conflicted until I saw the sniper rifle that fires three rounds on each squeeze. :lol

DY_nasty said:
Not to mention it was useless 2 more levels after that...
Well that really depends on how many characters wear plate in your party. But yeah there are about 3 armor sets better than it I think.
K.Jack said:
I was conflicted until I saw the sniper rifle that fires three rounds on each squeeze. :lol
Its an assault rifle. Only borderlands sniper rifles fire 3 shots at once. Also its kind of weird that bonus weapons are supposed to be soldier only or something.

Beowulf28

I have a question about the requirements. It says 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo and i have a Pentium Dual-Core 2.8 Ghz are they the same thing? Is my processor good enough for ME2?

Yoshi256

Banned
Nab said:
mass_cover.jpg

Hmmm

Can you post the scan of the review (pro&contra)?

K.Jack

Lostconfused said:
Its an assault rifle. Only borderlands sniper rifles fire 3 shots at once. Also its kind of weird that bonus weapons are supposed to be soldier only or something.
Damn. Oh well, I'm an Engineer anyway.

And yes, the preorder items seem to be geared towards people who are coming in vanilla with the default Soldier Shepard. I'd like to have seen an interesting pistol or something.

Naughtboy

Banned
The Mako needs to be correctly sized!!!!!!! When your players are standing next to it, it appears to only maybe fit a person in there not 3 people.

And the combat with it was quite boring. It handled really quirky and iffy, almost like it wanted to be a Warthog but failed at it.....

ACE 1991 said:
That is disappointing. Going from Dragon Age, which had an incredible man story, to an (apparently) lesser story is a bit of a bummer.

Like others have said DA, which I'm playing now, is mostly about the relationships you create with the other characters. And, for the life of me, I can't remember anything about ME1's story:lol

Nab

Yoshi256 said:
Can you post the scan of the review (pro&contra)?

I cannot, there was one on the Bioware forums but it's been removed.

I can tell you that they praised combat, said the story was a bit disappointing, the mining /hacking stuff is dull and they wondered why characters cry oil slicks.

Despite that, what I saw of the review seemed very positive, they loved sidequests for the characters (Apparently some will stick with you for days) and said that the game moved them. General production values and stuff all praised also as you'd expect.

Edit: Went and stole the exact wording from the ME forums:

Mass Effect 2 - 9.5
+ Enveloping universe filled with interesting characters and revealing side stories.
+ Outstanding, flexible combat in gorgeous environments.
- Main story is a bit disappointing; dull element mining and hacking.
? Why do characters cry oil slicks?

roxya

Beowulf28 said:
I have a question about the requirements. It says 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo and i have a Pentium Dual-Core 2.8 Ghz are they the same thing? Is my processor good enough for ME2?

It'll be fine.

kaskade

Oh noes. I'm at the nuke part in the game when you have to make your desision on who you want to save. I chose ashley and I went back and cleared all the geth. Now nothing is happening. I can't go anywhere and I can't speak to ashley. Am I really stupid or did my game fuck me?

I posted it in the ME thread but I'll try my luck here.

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Oh noes. I'm at the nuke part in the game when you have to make your desision on who you want to save. I chose ashley and I went back and cleared all the geth. Now nothing is happening. I can't go anywhere and I can't speak to ashley. Am I really stupid or did my game fuck me?

Known bug. Happened to me once. Load an older save (hope you had one.)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dandy said:
Everybody loves Nodacrux. :lol

Driving the Mako was fun, I wouldn't mind a racing mini game actually.

Oh dear god. My experience:

"Come on Mako, just a little bit more, you can do it! I'll just tap the boost a little and...*tumble *tumble *tumble.....RAGE."

Ephemeris

Pankaks said:
Oh dear god. My experience:

"Come on Mako, just a little bit more, you can do it! I'll just tap the boost a little and...*tumble *tumble *tumble.....RAGE."
:lol Good times. Good times.

~Kinggi~

Banned
my plan is to finish up Bayonetta and then movie on to Mass Effect 1 before ME 2 releases. I never did get very far in the first game despite getting it on launch day. My backlog is beyond words.

Hawk269

I have been trying not to follow much of the game, but some burning questions, if someone can answer...

1. I have heard the game is 2 discs. Is it 2 discs worth of game or is the 2nd disk like a behind the scenes.

2. Anyone here about game length?

3. How improved are the visuals compared to the first? Are some of the technical issues, pop in textures etc. fixed in this sequal?

That's about it...thanks to anyone who can answer.

Hawk269 said:
I have been trying not to follow much of the game, but some burning questions, if someone can answer...

1. I have heard the game is 2 discs. Is it 2 discs worth of game or is the 2nd disk like a behind the scenes.

2. Anyone here about game length?

3. How improved are the visuals compared to the first? Are some of the technical issues, pop in textures etc. fixed in this sequal?

That's about it...thanks to anyone who can answer.
2 discs game content, a third behind the scenes available in the CE

Not really discussed

Visuals roughly the same, texture pop-in is theoretically gone.

Darkman M

~Kinggi~ said:
my plan is to finish up Bayonetta and then movie on to Mass Effect 1 before ME 2 releases. I never did get very far in the first game despite getting it on launch day. My backlog is beyond words.

Im doing the exact same thing although i already thoroughly played through Mass effect when t as first released. , it should feel fresh now that it's been so long.

Doodis

K.Jack said:
I'm late but, the 360 version is two discs? Have they explained how it works?
There will be a point in the game where you have to switch discs, but they're claiming it's just once. You can still install both discs to the hard drive like other games.

Nordacrux was terrible, but I liked the Mako. Jumping over missiles was awesome, and there's an oddly proud feeling to successfully inching diagonally up the side of a mountain at an insane incline.

K.Jack

Doodis said:
There will be a point in the game where you have to switch discs, but they're claiming it's just once. You can still install both discs to the hard drive like other games.
Is there a point of no return, or is every planet, sidequest, etc., on the second disc?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MiDNiGHTS said:
This 2 disc talk has me at least contemplating the PC version.

If you have a PC that can run it well, why are you contemplating the 360 version? Do you have a saved character that you aren't willing to give up or something?

Keikoku

Banned
I just hope that the PC version will have no framerate hiccups/freezes. I'm currently playing through the first one on my PC (HD4890/E8400/4goDDR) and I am frequently having 2/3secs freezes. Very annoying.

MiDNiGHTS said:
This 2 disc talk has me at least contemplating the PC version.
I bet the disc swap will take less time than installing the game :p

I would consider the PC version if the texture quality on the 360 version has taken a big dive to keep the fps high. But I don't think the 2 disc thing is an issue if its just 1 swap. I'd rather keep the story decisions I used from the first game than start off fresh or have to play through ME1 again on PC.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
My god, me too. It's fucking awful. The effect itself is extremely tacky and just doesn't fit. I saw that and just wondered why.
Chris over at the ME forums confirmed that there's no option to turn the effect off.

careful

Just finished ME1. The council bit is interesting.
I didn't save them. Wonder how big of an impact it's gonna have. Seems like a pretty big deal to me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Bad news, thanks for the heads up! I've gotta prepare to deal with it now.

Beauty of the PC version is I give it a week before someone has removed it from the game. Which is good, because it looks fucking tacky, and my delivery will take a week to get to me.

K.Jack

EatChildren said:
Beauty of the PC version is I give it a week before someone has removed it from the game. Which is good, because it looks fucking tacky, and my delivery will take a week to get to me.
I bet it's as simple as changing a value in an ini file from '1' to '0'.

EatChildren said:

Totally, the thing that gets me is not having the same progress in my PC copy compared to my 360 copy. I just don't know what they were thinking with that?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
K.Jack said:
I bet it's as simple as changing a value in an ini file from '1' to '0'.

Quite literally. It's just an overlayed effect and unless it's hooked into all shader effects you'll likely be able to turn it off with a simple ini value, like with most UE3 games.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Totally, the thing that gets me is not having the same progress in my PC copy compared to my 360 copy. I just don't know what they were thinking with that?

On screen damage effects are the new lense flairs. I guess developers think it makes you feel more in the game or some bullshit. I dont mind it in the right context, and having an on-screen visual cue for near death is a good design choice, but ME2's looks outright terrible.

Anyway, plot wise, Shepard was obviously enhanced with some cybonic implants from some of the older videos and screenshots. He/she has some cuts on his face that have a distinct glow under them.

And this just fuels my theory, supported by Legion, that in ME3 we'll be blurring the line between organic and synthetic and roping the Geth into our great war.

Kyoufu said:
Cry more guys, its an effect you probably wont see much depending on your class/stats.

Crying would imply it wrecks the game, which it doesn't, but its nice to know I'll have the option to remove something I feel is turd on anotherwise visually impressive game. Kinda like how some people removed the dynamic shadows in filmclips for the original ME, because they looked like ass and were glitchy as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom