• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

The veins are ugly, but using screen reddening to indicate low health is a great idea.

I find in Mass Effect I often have no idea how close my gun is to overheating or how much health I have left because the indicators in the bottom left are just outside of my peripheral vision when I am looking directly at the centre of the screen. Putting an ammo counter on the gun itself and having the health bar spine and vein effect are all ways to better indicate status without making you look away from the action.

SlickVic

Ah completely misunderstood what you guys meant by vein effect. Thought that meant those weird lines running through Shepherd's face in that magazine cover. I was thinking "why the hell are they forcing your Shepherd to look so ugly" Don't know why I thought that :lol

Anyways, guess the vein effect doesn't really bug me; too used to these crazy filters indicating death in regen health games (Gears, Uncharted, CoD:MW) for me to really care anymore.

Swag

Damn my graphics card isn't gonna be back in time to play this day 1 on the PC. Gonna have to get it on the 360 and replay ME 1 to have a save ready.

Such little time UGH.

Doodis said:
There will be a point in the game where you have to switch discs, but they're claiming it's just once. You can still install both discs to the hard drive like other games.
Can you play the 2nd disc by having them both installed or do you really need to swap?

I totally don't mind disc swapping, was just curious.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Son of Godzilla said:
Can you play the 2nd disc by having them both installed or do you really need to swap?

I totally don't mind disc swapping, was just curious.
You have to swap.

Swag

Have they talked about the performance of the 360 version? I played the first on 360 and it had so many performance issues.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Doodis said:
There will be a point in the game where you have to switch discs, but they're claiming it's just once. You can still install both discs to the hard drive like other games.

And then access the content from both discs using only one disc?

Rad-

OXM review mentioned that the disc swapping will happen few times. And even if you install, you have to swap.

Killthee

Domino Theory said:
And then access the content from both discs using only one disc?
No, you still need to swap disc once you reach the swap point, it's not an install disc like Forza.

Rad- said:
OXM review mentioned that the disc swapping will happen few times. And even if you install, you have to swap.
Few times? Don't like the sound of that.....

AltogetherAndrews said:
Hopefully the PC version isn't bug ugly this time around.
Since they've been developing the PC version alongside the Xbox 360 version, I imagine the PC version will run without a hitch. They've shown some footage of the PC version. It was silky smooth.

Can't wait.

Yoshi256

Banned
BarrelMakingPenguin said:
Is swapping a disc out really that big of a deal?

If you have to leave the game for swapping the discs. The PS2 doesn't quit a game if you eject the disc, but the XBOX 360 system goes to the main menu if the disc is ejected.

And Mass Effect 2 is not as linear as a Final Fantasy XIII.

Yoshi256 said:
If you have to leave the game for swapping the discs. The PS2 doesn't quit a game if you eject the disc, but the XBOX 360 system goes to the main menu if the disc is ejected.
Lost Odyssey did not do this, if I remember correctly.

Maybe it did? I can't remember.

mujun

Yoshi256 said:

And Mass Effect 2 is not as linear as a Final Fantasy XIII.

How come I could swap discs without leaving the game in Forza 3, Blue Dragon and Star Ocean 4 then?

Swag

I wonder if the game is split in such a way that, the first disc contains all the party gathering sections and the second contains the final story mission areas and also the side quests.

Makes the most sense to avoid having to have more then one disc swap.

mujun said:
How come I could swap discs without leaving the game in Forza 3, Blue Dragon and Star Ocean 4 then?

Because the post you were quoting was misinformed.

Also the disc swap is a one time thing, it's probably just early cinematics and similar things you can't revisit stored on the first disc with assets for the entire universe spread across both in redundancy. They got into some detail in some interview all the blogs ran, I highly doubt there will be any back and forth switch like in SO4.

Ponn

Banned
BarrelMakingPenguin said:
Is swapping a disc out really that big of a deal?

It just seems that it could have been avoided easily with an option for install both discs to HDD (which most will probably do anyways) and then just need one of the discs in the system with no swap needed.

Of course wouldn't work for those with no HDD space available but it doesn't mean that option could not have been offered easily regardless.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Confidence Man said:
I hope that ridiculous vein effect can be turned off.

But it's necessary.

It is no longer a RPG where the crosshair is merely a target selector.

It is now a full-blown EXTREMELY AWESOME AND INTENSE shooter! EXTREMELYl AWESOME AND INTENSE shooters all have INTENSE AND EXTREME in-screen effects to warn players they're low on health.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I've never played it but I was under the impression that with Lost Odyssey you could install a disc and then you would not need to switch to that disc.

This has been confirmed to not be the case with ME2? Wonder why..

tmaynard

I noticed they changed some of the UI elements in the game.

Has there been any word on the UI for the PC version? Did they keep the same idea as the first and just update the UI graphics or did they completely modify it?

hyduK

Banned
Ponn01 said:
It just seems that it could have been avoided easily with an option for install both discs to HDD (which most will probably do anyways) and then just need one of the discs in the system with no swap needed.

Of course wouldn't work for those with no HDD space available but it doesn't mean that option could not have been offered easily regardless.
Yeah. They were probably concerned two people would split a copy of the game, each install and each take a different disc. Still though, all they really had to do was make it require a one of the specific disks in the drive.

Anyway, it would be nice if there was no disc swapping...I'm somewhat inclined to get the PC version now, but I have my Shepard on my 360, and am nearly finished insanity which would get me to level 60.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
hyduK said:
Yeah. They were probably concerned two people would split a copy of the game, each install and each take a different disc. Still though, all they really had to do was make it require a one of the specific disks in the drive.

Anyway, it would be nice if there was no disc swapping...I'm somewhat inclined to get the PC version now, but I have my Shepard on my 360, and am nearly finished insanity which would get me to level 60.

I'm with you on that. I was a bit disappointed the game is coming on 2 discs.

Nab

neojubei said:
I'm with you on that. I was a bit disappointed the game is coming on 2 discs.

I am totally unsurprised and don't particularly care.

As for the two disks issue, here's my take:

It sounds like to me that all sidequests and the like will be on both disks, whereas the main story will split into the two disks. Makes the most sense if you ask me, and I can't see how else they'd do it unless the whole 2nd disk is past a point of no return.

The OXM review mentioned changing the disk a "couple of times", but the Devs have always said you only need to swap once. I figure what OXM is referring to is either a review build that works differently, or, more likely, you need to go back to disk 1 to start a new playthrough (Which the reviewer would have done to try the various classes for review).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bitmap Frogs said:
But it's necessary.

It is no longer a RPG where the crosshair is merely a target selector.

It is now a full-blown EXTREMELY AWESOME AND INTENSE shooter! EXTREMELYl AWESOME AND INTENSE shooters all have INTENSE AND EXTREME in-screen effects to warn players they're low on health.

The crosshair was not a target selector in the original, at least on PC with aim assist as low as possible.

And to be frank, pretty much every change they've made for ME2 seems to be for the better. On a stat level Mass Effect wasn't all that good as a tradition RPG. Heaps of skills with not enough apparent impact from minor stat increases, 99% of loot totally worthless, class pretty much forcing you what to focus on, and by level 50 - 60 enough points to max out everything you need.

Choice and consiquence are the two biggest factors of an RPG, and in Mass Effect this was at it's best during conversation and quest decision making, so simplying/improving everything else is a good move.

Mass Effect was not like Fallout or Planescape or anything like that. You can experiment with your stats, have limited freedom in town, etc. Interaction in Mass Effect, BioWare games in general actually, is limited to what the developers do and dont want you to do.

Not much point forcing Mass Effect 2 down a road it never even tread in the original.

Twig

Banned
DennisK4 said:
wat - It looked great.
I'm playing through the PC version now, and while it looks better than the 360 version, there are some things that really stand out.

Ridiculously low-resolution textures on the Elcor and Volus and a bunch of NPC armor. Garrus' face, from what I understand, has been bugged out since the game was released so his entire face texture is low-res.

Mostly it's the low-res textures, I guess.

Doytch

^^ Also Saren's face has pretty bad textures. It's mostly the same thinking that they continued with Dragon Age: skimp on textures for armor in closeups and spend it on the face. Whenever you look at their clothes/armor in DA/ME, they look like PS2 textures.

feel

Doodis said:
Achievement tracker popup. Uugh... THANKS GEARS2! Disliked it in ODST too. I don't wanna know that stuff on my first play-trough godammit!! Takes me out of the experience. I like to turn off all the xbox360 popups and just be immersed in the adventure.

The gameplay looked really nice on that vid though. :)

edit- actually, I like the trackers, just not the fact that there's not an option to turn them off, at least in gears 2 or odst.

I have been purposely avoiding any media except for the first teaser trailer for ME2 until this week. But now that I've finally started watching the videos I'm really blown away. If there was an award for the greatest graphics/gameplay improvement for a game between the original and it's sequel then ME2 would win it. I can't believe how much they have improved the look and feel of the game. Although some of the weapons look like bullet hoses the gunplay still looks like it is very improved from the first game. The biotic powers and tech skills look outrageous too.

*Note for the following. By rate of fire I am talking about both number of rounds per second and bullet speed. The slower bullets look like they are traveling on screen the more pronounced the "bullet hose" effect will become.

The traditional guns shooting like bullet hoses is unfortunate since it is so unnecessary. No game needs to have shooting mechanics like this and it is so easy to fix that I have no idea how this finds it's way into any game. Guns need recoil to feel and look right. The ME2 guns, as well as the guns in games like Gears of War and the new spec ops game, do not have proper recoil. There is no "rise" to the guns while firing and not enough left/right spread of bullets.

Proper recoil on guns can sometimes make it difficult for gamepad users to stay on target. And sometimes burst firing wont allow a player to put enough bullets on target in a short enough time to feel right. But in games like ME2 and GoW the solution is easy because the guns have such a slow rate of fire. Correct up/down recoil, Correct left/right spread, together with a higher rate of fire fixes the bullet hose problem. If a weapon does already have a high ROF simply tweak the damage per shot higher. And the speed of projectiles should never be so slow that it causes a gun firing to look more like a garden hose watering a lawn.

One question that I haven't been able to find an answer to, are the cover mechanics bound to a button now or is it still automatic when you get too close to a wall or box?

careful

Zzoram said:
The veins are ugly, but using screen reddening to indicate low health is a great idea.

I find in Mass Effect I often have no idea how close my gun is to overheating or how much health I have left because the indicators in the bottom left are just outside of my peripheral vision when I am looking directly at the centre of the screen. Putting an ammo counter on the gun itself and having the health bar spine and vein effect are all ways to better indicate status without making you look away from the action.
Good point. I have this problem a lot because my monitor is way too big for the distance I'm sitting from my desk. I almost have to move my head around to see the edges of the screen. :lol

Nab

I <3 Memes said:
One question that I haven't been able to find an answer to, are the cover mechanics bound to a button now or is it still automatic when you get too close to a wall or box?

Bound to the A button now.

Zzoram

Is the soundtrack exclusive to the digital deluxe editions, or do the boxed collector's editions have it too? If the box does have it, then what does the digital deluxe offer to make up for the lack of the steelbook and hardcover artbook? Will it be priced lower?

jjasper

Rad- said:

WTF seriously? I have no problem with swapping a disk out once I am done with it and moving on to the next, but if this is disk swapping to go to certain areas it is going to suck. Why can't there be an install option like Forza had?

Doodis

Zzoram said:
Is the soundtrack exclusive to the digital deluxe editions, or do the boxed collector's editions have it too? If the box does have it, then what does the digital deluxe offer to make up for the lack of the steelbook and hardcover artbook? Will it be priced lower?
As far as we know, the soundtrack is NOT in the boxed collector's edition, only the digital deluxe. Sucks for us Xbox players.

jjasper said:
WTF seriously? I have no problem with swapping a disk out once I am done with it and moving on to the next, but if this is disk swapping to go to certain areas it is going to suck. Why can't there be an install option like Forza had?
I really think this is getting blown out of proportion. The devs have said multiple times that you'll have to switch discs ONCE in your multiple-hour playthrough. I don't think it's as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

so its confirmed there are no xp points for killing enemies?

damn, sounds like they are moving away from RPG elements to get a more mainstream FPS COD audience, no enemy kill xp, less skills, no stat based upgrades (eg gun damage %), no armor types (light/medium heavy), 'ammo' counts

I do like idea of class specific talents and dual path talent upgrades. and sounds like the game plays so much better than 360 with all the technical issues fixed.

still day one, even took 2 days off work for launch which I have never done before

Killthee

Doodis said:
As far as we know, the soundtrack is NOT in the boxed collector's edition, only the digital deluxe. Sucks for us Xbox players.
It also looks like the digital deluxe edition only includes a sampler. The full soundtrack is 27 tracks/2 disc, while the ost included in the dd version is 12 tracks.

Doodis said:
Its not the full soundtrack either.

Edit: Beaten, ok now I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel and say something like that the digital soundtrack is going to suck anyways because its going to be a lousy low bitrate encode

AshMcCool

cleveridea said:
so its confirmed there are no xp points for killing enemies?

damn, sounds like they are moving away from RPG elements to get a more mainstream FPS COD audience, no enemy kill xp, less skills, no stat based upgrades (eg gun damage %), no armor types (light/medium heavy), 'ammo' counts

I do like idea of class specific talents and dual path talent upgrades. and sounds like the game plays so much better than 360 with all the technical issues fixed.

still day one, even took 2 days off work for launch which I have never done before

Well they have steahlth elements now. Would be a little bit unfair if you get punished by going for a non-violent solution. At least I hope that's what it means. Just giving XP for completed tasks can actually boost up the RPG experince in a closer sense, as long as you are given different options for handling with a situation (like in VtM:Bloodlines).

selig

Banned
i cannot keep track with all news details, but can someone answer me the following:

- will the Reapers be part of ME2´s story at all? After all, they´re the ultimate danger

- so is the Mako a glider now, or is it still a ground vehicle?

- can you stare a romance with every crew member? At least Tali, plz :/

AshMcCool said:
Well they have steahlth elements now. Would be a little bit unfair if you get punished by going for a non-violent solution. At least I hope that's what it means. Just giving XP for completed tasks can actually boost up the RPG experince in a closer sense, as long as you are given different options for handling with a situation (like in VtM:Bloodlines).

hmm can that work though? in ME1, it was a party of 3 for combat at all times, and you literally couldn't leave your guys behind. if you made them 'hold' they would do so only for a small distance (fifty yards or so) then move up to you again. so similar system in ME2 means that unless all 3 party members are stealthed then it wont be possible.

you make a good point about non violent solutions, in dragon age I would often fight enemies rather than reach a persuasion solution because I was after their xp and loot :lol

actually I was surprised about stealth, I love stealth in games like Thief, and play DO with rogues for stealth. but I got the impression in ME2 its more about scouting enemies and lining up head shots than actually peforming a mission entirely stealthed

golem

cleveridea said:
well COD does have enemy kill xp, lots of skills, and stat based upgrades

How the fuck are you going to gain experience if you don't get any for kills? And what's this about no more Mako?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

AshMcCool

cleveridea said:
hmm can that work though? in ME1, it was a party of 3 for combat at all times, and you literally couldn't leave your guys behind. if you made them 'hold' they would do so only for a small distance (fifty yards or so) then move up to you again. so similar system in ME2 means that unless all 3 party members are stealthed then it wont be possible.

you make a good point about non violent solutions, in dragon age I would often fight enemies rather than reach a persuasion solution because I was after their xp and loot :lol

actually I was surprised about stealth, I love stealth in games like Thief, and play DO with rogues for stealth. but I got the impression in ME2 its more about scouting enemies and lining up head shots than actually peforming a mission entirely stealthed

Yeah you are probably right about the stealth elements. But maybe there are a few sidemissions who can be performed that way if you choose the infiltrator class (stealing item xyz from whonot)? I stand to my argument about non-violent soultions. Lets wait and see how this will work in the final product.

Twig

Banned
The Lamonster said:
How the fuck are you going to gain experience if you don't get any for kills? And what's this about no more Mako?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
I've barely done any fighting in my current playthrough of Mass Effect (just finished the first visit to the citadel), and I've probably gotten half my experience just from doing the random sidequests.

I'm assuming Mass Effect takes that to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom