• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nab

The Lamonster said:
How the fuck are you going to gain experience if you don't get any for kills? And what's this about no more Mako?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

You gain experience for completing missions.

The stuff about the Mako is still up in the air, no one is talking about it. OXM said you get dropped off on location at anomalies on side quest planets rather than having to drive around. But we don't know if that means driving has been cut from the game completely, or if exploration has been cut from the game completely, or if the reviewer was just dumb.

Nab

selig said:
i cannot keep track with all news details, but can someone answer me the following:

- will the Reapers be part of ME2´s story at all? After all, they´re the ultimate danger

- so is the Mako a glider now, or is it still a ground vehicle?

- can you stare a romance with every crew member? At least Tali, plz :/

-
Reapers are still involved
- We don't know if driving is even in the game anymore. Review seems to imply no, but Devs have said yes.
- No, not anyone. But there are much more options than the first game.

selig

Banned
Nab said:
- We don't know if driving is even in the game anymore. Review seems to imply no, but Devs have said yes.

lol, awesome review. but thx for the answers. can you elaborate on what you mean with "but there are much more options than in the first game" regarding romances?

Nab

selig said:
lol, awesome review. but thx for the answers. can you elaborate on what you mean with "but there are much more options than in the first game" regarding romances?

Certainly:
There are more potential romances. So, rather than the two you had depending on gender in the first, it seems as if there's going to be more like 4, if not 5. We don't know for certain but there's definitely more people you can entice to your bedroom.

Secondly, any love interest you had from the first game is still in the game, albeit not in a starring role. They won't be a squadmate but it adds an interesting dynamic whether you choose to cheat on your previous lover or not. We don't know for sure whether your first love will find out but I'd say if Bioware doesn't incorporate that then they missed a trick ;)

It's also been implied that the romance pacing is better than the first. So things can happen during missions and stuff rather than just: End of mission 1: Hey Liara you're cool. End of Mission 2: Hey Liara, you're pretty attractive. End of mission 3: LETS BONE LIARA!

Zalasta

I'm all for getting rid of the Mako. Planet surface driving was neat for like two missions but quickly became a bore and a time sink, especially when most of the terrain was so badly designed. One of my least favorite and repetitive feature in the original game.

Nab said:
Certainly:
There are more potential romances. So, rather than the two you had depending on gender in the first, it seems as if there's going to be more like 4, if not 5. We don't know for certain but there's definitely more people you can entice to your bedroom.

Secondly, any love interest you had from the first game is still in the game, albeit not in a starring role. They won't be a squadmate but it adds an interesting dynamic whether you choose to cheat on your previous lover or not. We don't know for sure whether your first love will find out but I'd say if Bioware doesn't incorporate that then they missed a trick ;)

It's also been implied that the romance pacing is better than the first. So things can happen during missions and stuff rather than just: End of mission 1: Hey Liara you're cool. End of Mission 2: Hey Liara, you're pretty attractive. End of mission 3: LETS BONE LIARA!
Any details on whether there will be any more controversial NUDITY (!) in the game besides another buttrack or whatever?

Also, is Miranda bisexual? Because...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The Lamonster said:
Any details on whether there will be any more controversial NUDITY (!) in the game besides another buttrack or whatever?

Also, is Miranda bisexual? Because...
ESRB description:
During the course of the game, players may enter a bar where alien pole dancing exists (choreography highlighted on big-screen monitors) or hear suggestive comments such as "krogan sexual deviants enjoy salarian flexibility" and "if this is just about sex, maybe you should just f**king say so." [Italics added] Players can also choose to have "romantic encounters" with the alien/human henchmen characters; this involves watching a guided cutscene in which two characters flirt, kiss, and/or embrace: clothed alien/human characters may prop a partner on top of a space console, clear away the clutter from a bed-slab, unzip a future-blouse, or just talk it out. Though an alien/human may gyrate her hips while on top (fleeting—one-to-two seconds), actual sex is never depicted—the camera cuts away to space furniture and ceilings.
:lol

Nab

I can't decide which I want to become a Mass Effect 2 themed meme more,

Space-furniture, or
"Krogan deviants enjoy Salarian flexibility"

I'm all for getting rid of the Mako or any driving/flying if it means more detailed areas for the game to take place in. It was ok to look around at the alien worlds but I found the lore and descriptions that i got from the galaxy map to be far more interesting. If getting rid of the mako and getting rid of the barren planet surfaces allows more development resources to go towards more locations that are interesting (like vermire) then I am all for it.

From what Ive seen so far all of the new locations just blow away even the best looking locations from the last game. Any word on if we will be visiting the Citadel again? It would be nice if it saw a great improvement to the graphics and maybe even enough NPC's to actually feel like a bustling metropolis instead of a series of sterile rooms and platforms.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I <3 Memes said:
I'm all for getting rid of the Mako or any driving/flying if it means more detailed areas for the game to take place in. It was ok to look around at the alien worlds but I found the lore and descriptions that i got from the galaxy map to be far more interesting. If getting rid of the mako and getting rid of the barren planet surfaces allows more development resources to go towards more locations that are interesting (like vermire) then I am all for it.

From what I've seen, at least, it does appear to be more along the lines of KOTOR with 4 or 5 central hubs, and I think Casey Hudson said that every side mission on an unexpected world was unique this time around.

From what Ive seen so far all of the new locations just blow away even the best looking locations from the last game. Any word on if we will be visiting the Citadel again? It would be nice if it saw a great improvement to the graphics and maybe even enough NPC's to actually feel like a bustling metropolis instead of a series of sterile rooms and platforms.

Yes, you'll be returning to the citadel to at least some degree, though we don't know if you can walk around like in the first game.

Any word on what will be the best classes to choose from?

More looking for personal opinion than anything - what do you think will be the most fun to play as?

Killthee said:
ESRB description:
During the course of the game, players may enter a bar where alien pole dancing exists (choreography highlighted on big-screen monitors) or hear suggestive comments such as "krogan sexual deviants enjoy salarian flexibility" and "if this is just about sex, maybe you should just f**king say so." [Italics added] Players can also choose to have "romantic encounters" with the alien/human henchmen characters; this involves watching a guided cutscene in which two characters flirt, kiss, and/or embrace: clothed alien/human characters may prop a partner on top of a space console, clear away the clutter from a bed-slab, unzip a future-blouse, or just talk it out. Though an alien/human may gyrate her hips while on top (fleeting—one-to-two seconds), actual sex is never depicted—the camera cuts away to space furniture and ceilings.
oh god. I just wish more games would "man-up" and show some breasts. (props God of War)

They do it in the movies, comic books etc., yet video games are STILL thought of by the mainstream as "for kids." sigh

and I want me some blue titties

Killthee

Major Williams said:
Any word on what will be the best classes to choose from?

More looking for personal opinion than anything - what do you think will be the most fun to play as?
I'm sticking with my original ME classes. Paragon, Vanguard Male Shep for my first playthrough.

tahc07.jpg

Renegade Soldier FemShep for my second :D

TheOneGuy said:
I've barely done any fighting in my current playthrough of Mass Effect (just finished the first visit to the citadel), and I've probably gotten half my experience just from doing the random sidequests.

I'm assuming Mass Effect takes that to the next level.

Well the first Citadel visit is perhaps the least action oriented part of the game by far. It's been known to turn a TON of gamers off since people find it incredibly long and boring. Two of my buddies got to that part and never made it past that first citadel visit. :lol

After endless conversations of telling them to just keep going, they ended up loving the rest game. :D

Wired

Well I'm hyped up, damn I want this game. Though this time I'm going with the PC version, in preparation of that I picked up ME1 during the Steam sale and have been playing that for the last week or so, I'm just about to leave the Citadel for the first time so it's going REALLY slow :p Bah I still have plenty (plenty I say) of time before ME2 ships. :lol

Twig

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
Well the first Citadel visit is perhaps the least action oriented part of the game by far. It's been known to turn a TON of gamers off since people find it incredibly long and boring. Two of my buddies got to that part and never made it past that first citadel visit. :lol

After endless conversations of telling them to just keep going, they ended up loving the rest game. :D
Well, I know, I'm just saying that's an example of how XP will be given.

Probably not the best example, though, because as you said, it's kind of boring. Not for me, I enjoy it. But for a lot of people... O;

TheOneGuy said:
Well, I know, I'm just saying that's an example of how XP will be given.

Probably not the best example, though, because as you said, it's kind of boring. Not for me, I enjoy it. But for a lot of people... O;

Oh yeah definitely. I like the part, too. But for people with low attention spans like my buds, it was torture for them. :lol

Lionheart1827 said:

That was my favorite part of the game. I would love to go back and be offered 5 or more hours of side missions.

webrunner

Killthee said:
ESRB description:

Future-blouse confirmed!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
EatChildren said:
The crosshair was not a target selector in the original, at least on PC with aim assist as low as possible.

And to be frank, pretty much every change they've made for ME2 seems to be for the better. On a stat level Mass Effect wasn't all that good as a tradition RPG. Heaps of skills with not enough apparent impact from minor stat increases, 99% of loot totally worthless, class pretty much forcing you what to focus on, and by level 50 - 60 enough points to max out everything you need.

Choice and consiquence are the two biggest factors of an RPG, and in Mass Effect this was at it's best during conversation and quest decision making, so simplying/improving everything else is a good move.

Mass Effect was not like Fallout or Planescape or anything like that. You can experiment with your stats, have limited freedom in town, etc. Interaction in Mass Effect, BioWare games in general actually, is limited to what the developers do and dont want you to do.

Not much point forcing Mass Effect 2 down a road it never even tread in the original.

Nice and big tirade, yet has nothing to do with the new INTENSE AND EXTREME low-health warning.

Killthee

deathsight580 said:
So on a related note to Mass Effect 2, I have a bit of a problem.

I want to buy the CE of the game but GameStop is not taking anymore preorders, I don't see the game on Amazon or NewEgg and I can't order it from BestBuy online. Apparently BestBuy won't have it in stores. So where the hell can I get it?
360 version? Amazon sold out of the 360 version, but still has the PC version available. The EA Store is still taking preorders for both versions.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Killthee said:
The EA Store is still taking preorders for both versions.

The EA store probably won't run out - you can still get the collector's edition of Dragon Age (Xbox 360) from the EA store last time I checked.

I did end up pre-ordering the collector's edition of DA for the 360 from the EA store and it was pleasantly surprising how fast the delivery was. It wasn't that bad at all (although this time I pre-ordered the collector's of ME2 from Gamestop because I wanted the pre-order items that Gamestop offers).

LogicStep

I ordered it from Amazon, apparently they have more because yesterday it was listed like Amazon wasn't selling it anymore but today they are listing it like normal.

Killthee said:
I'm sticking with my original ME classes. Paragon, Vanguard Male Shep for my first playthrough.

That's basically exactly how I played ME1, except with the classes swapped. Playing as a mean girl is so hot.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Killthee said:

Weird, that's exactly how my two characters are set up.

LogicStep

Quick question. When you carry over your game, if you were good or bad in the first game, will that carry over or do you start over as neutral?

Draft

If the boxed version doesn't get the soundtrack but the digital version does, that is bullshit.

And I will have satisfaction.

By any means necessary.

Doodis

Coin Return said:
Weird, that's exactly how my two characters are set up.
Same here. In fact, those are the only two characters I ever played with. Did two more new game+ runthroughs with my Vanguard.

The other classes always seemed to be underpowered to me, but with each class getting a unique ability in ME2, I'm going to have to branch out and try them all. After I play through with my Vanguard and Soldier, of course.

cresto

Im sure this has been explained, but whats the value in game+'s? i know you rank up your character a bunch and what not, but that doesnt apply to ME2. Also, if you do a game+, does your character act like a level 1 at the start therefore forcing you into all the annoying side quests to rank up more?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
ergo said:
Im sure this has been explained, but whats the value in game+'s? i know you rank up your character a bunch and what not, but that doesnt apply to ME2. Also, if you do a game+, does your character act like a level 1 at the start therefore forcing you into all the annoying side quests to rank up more?

Get past the initial level cap is the only real benefit, other than being able to do potential paragon/renegade options you couldn't achieve due to low skill levels in the first game.

Yes, you act like you are level 1, i.e. start from the very beginning, but you keep your level, your personal weapons and armor, and get duplicates of them to give to your party members.

Essentially, it's to get to level 60, make different decisions if you so desire, and unlock the extreme power gamer and potentially harder difficulty modes.

However, fulfilling some of those achievements will translate into better starting ME2 experience/credits/minerals/etc..

cresto

Metroidvania said:
Get past the initial level cap is the only real benefit, other than being able to do potential paragon/renegade options you couldn't achieve due to low skill levels in the first game.

Yes, you act like you are level 1, i.e. start from the very beginning, but you keep your level, your personal weapons and armor, and get duplicates of them to give to your party members.

Essentially, it's to get to level 60, make different decisions if you so desire, and unlock the extreme power gamer and potentially harder difficulty modes.

However, fulfilling some of those achievements will translate into better starting ME2 experience/credits/minerals/etc..
ok thx for the info!

Vamphuntr

So do we finally know if we really get a character through the cerberus card? It seems a bit lame they are not marketing it if that's the case. For DA they released the info on the Stone Prisoner quite early (even Warden's Keep). Now the game is less than 20 days away and we know nothing about the online stuff.

Also the OXM review is real? Kinda sucks that there are no xp for killing ennemies. They really went the shooter route then (less weapon, no xp for killing, no stats on guns/armor) which is not a bad thing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wish they'd announce in detail what all the bonuses and requirements for character saves will be in ME2. I'm currently going through ME again due to losing my old Level 60 save (BAH!), and the OCD in me is going to want to do it again just to get the level 60 bonus.

Currently level 41 on Feros, with Virmire and Ilos to go, along with Bringing Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station. I also have a couple of minerals to go, otherwise I think I've exhausted all the secondary quests.

squicken

Amazon does have the CE back in stock, but it's $13 more than the regular version, and the regular version has the $10 rebate. Can't really justify the CE.

Can anyone explain why BioWare felt they needed to change so much of the game's fundamentals? They must be incredibly confident of these new changes but I'm getting rather uncomfortable at how each day there is this megaton change. The XP thing really pissed me off

Ponn

Banned
squicken said:
Amazon does have the CE back in stock, but it's $13 more than the regular version, and the regular version has the $10 rebate. Can't really justify the CE.

I preordered it just in case. I really, REALLY want the better case artwork but its going to be hard to justify if the Cereberus Card comes in every copy of ME, not just the CE. Still waiting on confirmation of that or not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Meus Renaissance said:
Can anyone explain why BioWare felt they needed to change so much of the game's fundamentals? They must be incredibly confident of these new changes but I'm getting rather uncomfortable at how each day there is this megaton change. The XP thing really pissed me off

Because Mass Effect is flawed. It's all about execution, really. The base concept of the game, and the design fundamentals, are all still there. Their execution has been changed a bit, thats all.

And for all we know it will work fine. Mass Effect as a stat based RPG sucked ass. Unlike heavy stat-based RPGs like Fallout (originals), Planescape, etc, the choices are still largely affected by player input, not statistical values. The 'role playing' in Mass Effect has far more to do with conversation choices, quest outcomes, and class selection.

Are they making the upgrading simplistic, or is it instead refined? Take the skill system. Mass Effect 2 has less skill levels, but we can assume that the skill advancement (ie: upgrading) will take as much time as it did in the original. Now looking back on the original, did putting one point on Decryption or any other stat really make a big difference? Nope. Most of the time stat increases were working towards the 'levels' of a stat that rewarded with souped up powers and what-not.

It's essentially cutting the grind where the grind was never needed in the first place. I dont know if it will work. I hope it will. But for me Mass Effect's stat heavy sections were some of its sloppiest design points that really added nothing to the gameplay. If that's been refined while keeping the same pace of advancement then I support the changes.

Otherwise, what other changes bother you?

dejan

Meus Renaissance said:
Well ...
Adrien Cho said:
"Each game we've put out has been great, each game has flaws, where as this one represents the pinnacle BioWare experience. If you're going to play one BioWare game ever in your life, this is the one to try."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=229700

Draft

Really, Mass Effect is a game that succeeds in spite of itself. There are a number of glaring design and technical problems, some of them pretty drastic. Aside from the music and art, I don't think a single part of ME reaches "sacred cow" status and could maybe deal with a change.

Man that Scientist Mordin video is the most impressive one yet. I know it's not combat and it's a simple short video, but it really makes me feel like they are right on target with this game. Getting bought by EA might have been the best thing for Bioware. No doubt the extra resources and budget have helped/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom