• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

Shrinnann said:
I'm getting ME2 for the 360 (even though my PC would be capable of running it) - DA is the game from BioWare you would want to get for the PC while I actually think ME2 may be more fit on a console like the 360 (the ME series was designed with a controller in mind, not a mouse and keyboard while Dragon Age is not).

I own Dragon Age :lol, but I see your point and it is very valid, never thought of it from that perspective. I'm sure that ME2 will be enjoyable on both platforms, but I would rather play it with a controller.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Shrinnan said:
I'm getting ME2 for the 360 (even though my PC would be capable of running it) - DA is the game from BioWare you would want to get for the PC while I actually think ME2 may be more fit on a console like the 360 (the ME series was designed with a controller in mind, not a mouse and keyboard while Dragon Age is not).

Of course, I still got DA for the 360 as well, even though I know the PC one is superior. I'll eventually get the game for my PC though, it's just that I am still used to a controller, although in DA's case I think a controller and keyboard would be more welcome (from having time with the game).
Yes, do it! As someone whose PC gaming experience is pretty much RTS games, Audiosurf, & Ragnarok Online, I had no trouble jumping from PS3 DA to PC DA. DA's M/K controls shit all over the console versions controller bastardization. The game run's, look's, and play's better on PC and if I had bought the PS3 version (I rented it) I would have felt so ripped off.

Have they mentioned the content you'll get from Mass Effect Galaxy yet? It says "Your prize awaits in Mass Effect 2" and as you enter your EA account info, but I haven't heard what the content actually is yet. Anyone know?

Vamphuntr

Buttonbasher said:
Have they mentioned the content you'll get from Mass Effect Galaxy yet? It says "Your prize awaits in Mass Effect 2" and as you enter your EA account info, but I haven't heard what the content actually is yet. Anyone know?

Nope it's the only bonus items we don't know :( aside from the cerberus card. We now know every preorder items, CE Items and the items you can win from the Dr Pepper contest.

Alucrid said:
What exactly the Cerberus Network card is, if it's coming only in the CE or with the regular edition as well, then if the latter is true if it's being limited to certain locations or is world wide, etc.
Cerberus network card is going to be in every new copy of Mass Effect 2 sold. Seems to be the same deal as the stone prisoner was for Dragon Age. Its just that we don't know what that DLC is going to be for Mass Effect.

Swag

So I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm not quite sure. So I bought Dragon Age on the pc, how do I get my code for the Blood Dragon armor, and the core of the problem, will it work if I want it on the 360 version of the game?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Sebulon3k said:
So I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm not quite sure. So I bought Dragon Age on the pc, how do I get my code for the Blood Dragon armor, and the core of the problem, will it work if I want it on the 360 version of the game?
I would assume through the BioWare social site again since you already have the Blood Dragon armor code in there for DA, so when you get ME2 you can use its registration code on your account and then theyll provide you with a code to redeem the armor on Xbox live.

Vamphuntr

Sebulon3k said:

The devs on the ME forum have confirmed that the armor will work on both 360/PC version of ME 2 no matter which version of DA you bought. If you registered your armor in DA you're all set.

BTW I'm looking for an awesome pic of joker to make my new avatar. Any of you have one?

Swag

Vamphuntr said:
The devs on the ME forum have confirmed that the armor will work on both 360/PC version of ME 2 no matter which version of DA you bought. If you registered your armor in DA you're all set.

Alright thanks, I want the collectors edition but at the same time I also want the pre order bonus from Gamestop.

UGH.

Sebulon3k said:
Alright thanks, I want the collectors edition but at the same time I also want the pre order bonus from Gamestop.

UGH.

Well IMO collectors edition >>>>>>>> pre-order bonus at Gamestop. The armor and gun do look cool but doubt you will use it for that long. Get the collectors edition.

Vamphuntr

italianfreak240 said:
Well IMO collectors edition >>>>>>>> pre-order bonus at Gamestop. The armor and gun do look cool but doubt you will use it for that long. Get the collectors edition.

Anyway there is so much stuff that it's useless to really want to collect everything.

To get the Terminus Armor and the Blackstorm you have to preorder at gamestop
To get the Inferno armor you have to preorder at amazon/best buy/ea store/Steam
To get the Incisor Rifle you have to preorder a digital copy Steam/D2D
To get the CE assault rifle and the weird armor you have to buy the CE
To get the Blood Dragon Armor you need Dragon Age Origins
Mass effect galaxy also gives a gift we don't know for now
To get some exclusive helmet and visor you have to drink Dr. Pepper

Wow completionists must be pulling their hair out :lol

Wallach

Vamphuntr said:
Anyway there is so much stuff that it's useless to really want to collect everything.

To get the Incisor rifle and the weird armor you have to buy the CE

I think the Incisor Rifle is actually different from the CE rifle and is exclusive to the digital CE.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Vamphuntr said:

To get the Incisor rifle and the weird armor you have to buy the CE

Well if the check system to see which bonus items you have or not is the same as DA it wont be hard to get all of them for PC users. I got the Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam but thanks to the lovely internet I was able to edit the AddIn doc and add in the necessary info and get all the bonus items not included in my DDE version.

Swag

italianfreak240 said:
It's still available on the EA store? If so awesome.

Vamphuntr

Wallach said:
I think the Incisor Rifle is actually different from the CE rifle and is exclusive to the digital CE.

I think you're right. One is a sniper and the other one is an assault rifle :lol .

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Sebulon3k said:
I own Dragon Age :lol, but I see your point and it is very valid, never thought of it from that perspective. I'm sure that ME2 will be enjoyable on both platforms, but I would rather play it with a controller.

Yup me too. I assumed the same thing with DA but was wrong, I can definitely see how a keyboard and mouse would supplement that particular experience.

Killthee said:
Yes, do it! As someone whose PC gaming experience is pretty much RTS games, Audiosurf, & Ragnarok Online, I had no trouble jumping from PS3 DA to PC DA. DA's M/K controls shit all over the console versions controller bastardization. The game run's, look's, and play's better on PC and if I had bought the PS3 version (I rented it) I would have felt so ripped off.

Yup, I'm going to at some point. After ME2 comes out, I'll probably end up getting the Steam version of Dragon Age (along with KotOR for good measure).

Swag

Vamphuntr said:
Switched to a Mass Effect avatar! Hype Hype Hype!
And so it starts, if people get this game early from broken street dates I'm gonna lose it.

That stuff never happens in my area EVER, not even Bayonetta :(

Shrennin

Sebulon3k said:
And so it starts, if people get this game early from broken street dates I'm gonna lose it.

That stuff never happens in my area EVER, not even Bayonetta :(

Even if it did happen in mine, it wouldn't happen in the place I pre-ordered it at (Gamestop) so it's pretty much a no go for me. Unless my friends happen to get it, then I'll have some hope of playing it days before it comes out!

Swag

Shrinnan said:
Even if it did happen in mine, it wouldn't happen in the place I pre-ordered it at (Gamestop) so it's pretty much a no go for me. Unless my friends happen to get it, then I'll have some hope of playing it days before it comes out!
I'd cancel and go pick it up at the street broken store, been waiting like 2 years for this.

Pre Order bonuses be damned.

Shrennin

Sebulon3k said:
I'd cancel and go pick it up at the street broken store, been waiting like 2 years for this.

Pre Order bonuses be damned.

If it was just pre-order bonuses, I would heavily consider it but it's also the Collector's Edition. I can't give that up if it means I'll only get a few extra days to play ME2 before everyone else.

This is also one of those gems where I end up fully paying off the game before I go pick it up.

Swag

Shrinnan said:
If it was just pre-order bonuses, I would heavily consider it but it's also the Collector's Edition. I can't give that up if it means I'll only get a few extra days to play ME2 before everyone else.

This is also one of those gems where I end up fully paying off the game before I go pick it up.
What people don't do this all the time? The fuck, I always pay my games in full :lol. Not having money when a game releases is horrible

Vamphuntr

Sebulon3k said:
What people don't do this all the time? The fuck, I always pay my games in full :lol. Not having money when a game releases is horrible

I preorder online all the time so I can't pay it in advance. Anyway gamestop is always good for shipping. When I preorder I always game the game on my door step the day it releases! This is really weird since I preorder from gamestop.com and I'm in Canada. I guess the 15$ shipping really gives you international overnight since I always get the shipping notification late at night.

Shrennin

Sebulon3k said:
Not having money when a game releases is horrible

That's exactly why I'm going to start doing it. I had to cancel some pre-orders at the time of release (or after release) because I wasn't able to get it due to lack of funds at the time. That is NOT going to happen with ME2...and TOR.

I usually pre-order a game to seal in the fact that I'll get it and any pre-order bonuses with it, but sometimes I don't get either because it wasn't a game I was too interested in and was just going to pay on release day, but ended up not having the funds. :/

I am going to start pre-ordering online though, it's a lot easier (another reason I can't get some games at launch is because I'm not able to get there so funds aren't always the sole reason).

SlickVic

Shrinnan said:

I don't think I'd take it that far. True ME was designed for a console in mind first, but with all the tweaks they made to the PC version interface to make it M+KB friendly (the layout is significantly altered from the 360 version), I'd say it controls just as well (if not better) than the 360 version. Of course when I say better, it definitely depends on what control setup you prefer, but the setup is quite competent on both systems. Can't really touch on Dragon Age as I've only played the PC version (whereas ME I played it through first on 360 then on PC).

Hawk269

Well from watching those videos, the game seems to run very well....I really hope that the pop in of textures is gone as well. But so far, what I just seen I am impressed.

Some weird gameplay stuff though....

1. Guns have ammo counters now..which means...we have to scrounge for ammo in the game. Kind of like this.

2. No Exp. Points for killing enemies. From what someone posted above, you gain exp on completing missions. Not sure how I feel about this. In ME1 there were some areas that I would level up 2-3 times in just one area, giving me the ability to raise certain stats while still in the mission. With this new method, you would only gain exp at the end of the mission.

3. Gunplay seems to really have been revamped and looks good...seems more fast paced ala Gears of War.

I need to Gamestop and pre-order this...cant beleive I have not done it yet...need to do this tomorrow.

Swag

Shrinnan said:
I am going to start pre-ordering online though, it's a lot easier (another reason I can't get some games at launch is because I'm not able to get there so funds aren't always the sole reason).

I can never justify online pre ordering, paying extra for the shipping kills me. Having roomates that drive is awesome.

Does Gamestop have free shipping if you buy a certain amount?

Vamphuntr

Sebulon3k said:
I can never justify online pre ordering, paying extra for the shipping kills me. Having roomates that drive is awesome.

Yes they do (25$). But it might be slow shipping. The nearest EB is 1 hour from my home so I have no other choice to get the CE.

Shrennin

Sebulon3k said:

I chalk up any shipping costs I would have to gas usage I would use while getting to a store physically. Of course, I still would probably be losing money paying for shipping, but the convenience is there. I'll probably switch up online ordering from retail shopping depending on the circumstances.

SlickVic said:
I don't think I'd take it that far. True ME was designed for a console in mind first, but with all the tweaks they made to the PC version interface to make it M+KB friendly (the layout is significantly altered from the 360 version), I'd say it controls just as well (if not better) than the 360 version. Of course when I say better, it definitely depends on what control setup you prefer, but the setup is quite competent on both systems. Can't really touch on Dragon Age as I've only played the PC version (whereas ME I played it through first on 360 then on PC).

I don't think the controls will be better on the PC than the 360, although I can see how BioWare may succeed in making them just as good. If that were the case, then PC may end up winning out because of mods and other stuff typically exclusive to the PC.

Swag

Hawk269 said:
I really hope that the pop in of textures is gone as well

I believe this was confirmed somewhere not sure where but it's gone, and from what I've read the game is smooth and faster action / more action oriented

Vamphuntr said:
The nearest EB is 1 hour from my home

15 minutes for me, that's walking. But I'm lazy :0.

Gonna have to ask my parents for money in order to get the CE from EA.

Shrennin

Sebulon3k said:
I believe this was confirmed somewhere not sure where but it's gone, and from what I've read the game is smooth and faster action / more action oriented

Besides direct confirmation from BioWare, OXM ended up mentioning it in their review, I believe.

SlickVic

Shrinnan said:
I don't think the controls will be better on the PC than the 360, although I can see how BioWare may succeed in making them just as good. If that were the case, then PC may end up winning out because of mods and other stuff typically exclusive to the PC.

Well that's purely up to personal preference. I prefer M+KB in most games and ME1 on PC was no exception. Aiming with the mouse, hot keys for weapons and powers, using the mouse to pinpoint where to move the squad, the interface was very much primed for those of us who like our mouse and keyboard and personally I liked that aspect better than the 360 version. Now if you prefer using a gamepad nothing wrong with that either, just saying for a PC gamer the controls were right at home. I expect it to be similar in ME2.

Swag

Shrinnan said:
Besides direct confirmation from BioWare, OXM ended up mentioning it in their review, I believe.
Yeah that's where I read it, I wonder what the metacritic for this game is gonna be.

Secretly I hope it's under a 90, I made a 150 dollar bet that FF13 would score higher on meta then ME2. I don't wanna pay.

SlickVic

Hawk269 said:
Well from watching those videos, the game seems to run very well....I really hope that the pop in of textures is gone as well. But so far, what I just seen I am impressed.

Some weird gameplay stuff though....

1. Guns have ammo counters now..which means...we have to scrounge for ammo in the game. Kind of like this.

2. No Exp. Points for killing enemies. From what someone posted above, you gain exp on completing missions. Not sure how I feel about this. In ME1 there were some areas that I would level up 2-3 times in just one area, giving me the ability to raise certain stats while still in the mission. With this new method, you would only gain exp at the end of the mission.

3. Gunplay seems to really have been revamped and looks good...seems more fast paced ala Gears of War.

I need to Gamestop and pre-order this...cant beleive I have not done it yet...need to do this tomorrow.

Yeah count me in the crowd that didn't know about the limited ammo. Like most shooters, I doubt the amount of ammo will become a huge issue during gunfights, I just find in funny that the codex in ME1 went out of their way to explain why you had so much:

The ammo magazine is a simple block of metal. The gun's internal computer calculates the mass needed to reach the target based on distance, gravity, and atmospheric pressure, then shears off an appropriate sized slug from the block. A single block can supply thousands of rounds, making ammo a non-issue during any engagement.

I suppose they can say that the weapons are so uber in ME2 that ammo actually does matter now (takes bigger chunks of metal to make rounds since they do so much more damage now or something).

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Looking at the CES videos, it really looks like ammo, depending on the class, could only be used for finishers.

I say this only on the fact that the Vanguard Shepard used Shockwave (or whatever it's called) twice in 30ish seconds, then pulled off another after the second about 3 seconds later

That's a huge change from ME1 powers. I understand what Christina Norman meant about the Adept now, lol.

Sebulon3k said:

Amazon's release date delivery is about $2 less than the sales tax in California for a 360 CE copy. Gas here is pretty expensive, too.

All this talk about which is preferable, mouse and keyboard or controller would be irrelevant if we had the CHOICE. I do not understand why developers decide on one control system on PC games when having an alternative option is no trouble. Many, many PC games do this so why not Mass Effect 2?
I agree that M/K is more accurate etc than the controller but for me the M/K option is awkward as I play my games sitting on a nice big sofa in front of my nice big TV and a M/K is just plain uncomfortable. However there is software that lets you map M/K commands to a controller so you can get around it. But it greatly annoys me when developers do not offer choice.

kuYuri

Does anyone know if the Gamestop preorder bonus is included in copies from Gamestop or is it given out separately?

Sebulon3k said:

15 minutes for me, that's walking. But I'm lazy :0.

Gonna have to ask my parents for money in order to get the CE from EA.

You should buy from Newegg. No tax (depending on the state you live in) and free shipping. Their free shipping has always been pretty fast for me, usually 3 days here to NY.

Swag

Strider2K99 said:
You should buy from Newegg. No tax (depending on the state you live in) and free shipping. Their free shipping has always been pretty fast for me, usually 3 days here to NY.

Yeah they are pretty good but I perfer to be playing a game on release day to minimise being spoiled, my friends and I do a thing where we usually start talking about a game 3 days after release, gives everyone enough time get through a good enough portion of the game to form an opinion. Easy to get spoiled if I'm lttp.

Nab

SlickVic said:
Yeah count me in the crowd that didn't know about the limited ammo. Like most shooters, I doubt the amount of ammo will become a huge issue during gunfights, I just find in funny that the codex in ME1 went out of their way to explain why you had so much:

The ammo magazine is a simple block of metal. The gun's internal computer calculates the mass needed to reach the target based on distance, gravity, and atmospheric pressure, then shears off an appropriate sized slug from the block. A single block can supply thousands of rounds, making ammo a non-issue during any engagement.

I suppose they can say that the weapons are so uber in ME2 that ammo actually does matter now (takes bigger chunks of metal to make rounds since they do so much more damage now or something).

I can field this question :p

There is no reloading in the game as such, what your character is actually doing is swapping the heat sink to stop your weapon from overheating. Universal heat sinks fit all weapons except heavy weapons which DO have ammo (They're grenades and rockets etc) and when they run out you ditch 'em for a new heavy weapon I believe.

So all previous canon about ammunition is intact, but functionally it plays more like other games because you have to swap the heatsinks on your weapon.

Edit:

Oh, by the way, if any of you have started seeing Dr Pepper with EA branding, the codes you can get from them can get you two helmets and an armour if you redeem them apparently.

Also, UK folks... Amazon's got ME2 (on 360) at £29.99... I did have it pre-ordered at GAME Collectors Edition for £54.99, but I think I'm going to cancel that and save £25... £25 is just too much difference for an art book, one type of armour over other types of armour I'll get, and a dvd I'll watch once that will be online anyway.

kanugo

Can someone tell if I buy the Collector's Edition from Germany, do I still get the game with English language? Thanks.

Dunkelgrau

kanugo said:
Can someone tell if I buy the Collector's Edition from Germany, do I still get the game with English language? Thanks.
I have heard, that you can download the english language for free, after the release of the game. We will see.

kanugo

]blacky[ said:
I have heard, that you can download the english language for free, after the release of the game. We will see.

Thanks. It's too bad that Amazon.uk doesn't carry CE pre-orders.

KAL2006

Banned
Slackbladder said:
All this talk about which is preferable, mouse and keyboard or controller would be irrelevant if we had the CHOICE. I do not understand why developers decide on one control system on PC games when having an alternative option is no trouble. Many, many PC games do this so why not Mass Effect 2?
I agree that M/K is more accurate etc than the controller but for me the M/K option is awkward as I play my games sitting on a nice big sofa in front of my nice big TV and a M/K is just plain uncomfortable. However there is software that lets you map M/K commands to a controller so you can get around it. But it greatly annoys me when developers do not offer choice.

The software that lets you map controls to a pad is still not the same. I tried this with another PC shooter, but it didn't feel the same as the console version, plus it's harder to aim because the console verison has aim assist and PC version doesn't as you are expected to use a mouse for accurate aiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom