• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

HK-47 said:
Yeah she is a wonderful info kiosk. Or shall we talk about the radical recharacterization of her after ME1.
She was a giant anti social bitch in ME1. Now she is just a giant bitch. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Lostconfused said:
She was a giant anti social bitch in ME1. Now she is just a giant bitch. I have no idea what you are talking about.

gVaf6.jpg

epgXR.jpg

Same VA. Coincidence?

Kyoufu

I'm struggling to play through this game again. The planet scanning, the lack of inventory...its killing me...

Plus I am really struggling to have fun with the actual combat. In ME1 I ran wild on enemies on my Vanguard. In ME2 I feel severely gimped to the point where I can't be creative in killing enemies. It is just a rotation of Charge -> Destroy -> Repeat. :(

Oh well, I hope the DLC is good, haven't had a chance to try all of the DLC out yet.

Kyoufu said:
I'm struggling to play through this game again. The planet scanning, the lack of inventory...its killing me...

Plus I am really struggling to have fun with the actual combat. In ME1 I ran wild on enemies on my Vanguard. In ME2 I feel severely gimped to the point where I can't be creative in killing enemies. It is just a rotation of Charge -> Destroy -> Repeat. :(

Oh well, I hope the DLC is good, haven't had a chance to try all of the DLC out yet.
Turn down the difficulty? I am still fine with my playthrough on Insanity, but then again I like the stop and pop variety of shooters. Also haven't spent that much time mining planets either, at least didn't need to mine anything to get the upgrades yet.

Jerk

Banned
HK-47 said:
Yeah she is a wonderful info kiosk. Or shall we talk about the radical recharacterization of her after ME1.

Which reminds me:

My Male-Shep is getting all sorts of ass, but my fem-Shep has yet to encounter a partner worthy of her :(

Zen

Banned
Lostconfused said:

How in the hell was she an anti social bitch in Mass Effect 1? I mean you could argue that she was cold in ME2, but there was nothing remotely bitchy about her in the original, and she smartened up in ME2 depending on how you talked with her. Williams and Cerberus girl are the closest things to a 'bitch' of the ME universe, when it comes to your party.

Jerk 2.0 said:
My Male-Shep is getting all sorts of ass, but my fem-Shep has yet to encounter a partner worthy of her :(
You would think Jacob is it since every time she opens her mouth it might as well be another sexual harassment suit waiting to happen.
Zen said:
How in the hell was she an anti social bitch in Mass Effect 1? I mean you could argue that she was cold in ME2, but there was nothing remotely bitchy about her in the original, and she smartened up in ME2 depending on how you talked with her. Williams and Cerberus girl are the closest things to a 'bitch' of the ME universe, when it comes to your party.
Ashley is a bitch because her family has a black mark on its history after the first contact war and doesn't want to be too chummy with aliens? But when some one makes a compliment or a remark to Liara she twists into an insult or something that demeans her and complains about it and she isn't a bitch? Yup makes sense.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I really hate maleShep's VA.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Which reminds me:

Thane is effin badass! And then there is Garrus. Jacob is the most boring character in the entire game, so I don't really consider him worthy of female Shep! He's still better than the worst character in the entire ME universe.. Jack.

Finished it a while ago but read this thread only now.

I won't say what I think about the game but I'd like someone to point me exactly what makes this game a masterpiece.. Even here at Gaf it doesn't get much criticism. I fail to understand all the praise it gets and it makes me a bit perplex about where the industry is heading. It being a GOTY is already hard for me to swallow, when the majority talks about masterpiece, I feel like they're just exaggerating, or being paid or whatever. Masterpiece is not a word to be used lightly.

Someone, please enlighten me.

bababouille said:

I won't say what I think about the game but I'd like someone to point me exactly what makes this game a masterpiece.. Even here at Gaf it doesn't get much criticism. I fail to understand all the praise it gets and it makes me a bit perplex about where the industry is heading. It being a GOTY is already hard for me to swallow, when the majority talks about masterpiece, I feel like they're just exaggerating, or being paid or whatever. Masterpiece is not a word to be used lightly.

I'm with you man.

I like the game and it is definitely better than ME1, but I was surprised at all of the GOTY nominations.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lostconfused said:

She was a bitch in 1? More like an awkward, isolated bookwormish type.

HK-47 said:
She was a bitch in 1? More like an awkward, isolated bookwormish type.
Yeah but going off on some one for giving her a compliment is past anti social/isolated and into bitch/jerk/douche territory. Or you know just picking up on a random bit of conversation and interpreting it as an insult to her. She is touchy to say the least
Fimbulvetr said:
I like the game and it is definitely better than ME1, but I was surprised at all of the GOTY nominations.
Same, but then again I am the person that thinks Red Dead should have been GOTY because of its story.

Lostconfused said:
Yeah but going off on some one for giving her a compliment is past anti social/isolated and into bitch/jerk/douche territory. Or you know just picking up on a random bit of conversation and somehow thinking it was an insult to her.

When did she do this?

I can't remember much about Liara other than instantly developing a crush on Shep for no reason.

Fimbulvetr said:
When did she do this?

I can't remember much about Liara other than instantly developing a crush on Shep for no reason.
After the conversation with Lorik Qui'in where he mentions Benezia and how she was dressed in a business suit. Liara complains about how everyone thinks Asari are promiscuous and by extension that she is as well. It kind of makes sense that mentioning Benezia would hit a nerve with her but still. There was also another moment where Garrus mentions that Asari are lucky because they don't need implants to be able to use biotics. Liara goes on a rant how she had to study and train to learn how to use biotics and how dare Garrus make light of all her pain and suffering making him apologize for that comment. There is also another conversation that goes along the same lines but I am forgetting it.

Edit: I guess I have to replay mass effect 1 again because honestly I don't remember the conversations exactly anymore and its not like any of them are up on youtube either. Well at least you know any that don't involve the romance options.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I porked Liara in Mass Effect because my only other option was Kaiden, and I couldn't resist that blue space pussy.

I didn't really care for her character though. My Shepard is too busy for emotional relationships.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lostconfused said:
Don't know why but I am not obsessing over the space gypsy like the rest of the internet.
Tali... Spacegypsi...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fimbulvetr said:
When did she do this?

Of course there was a reason. Alien women sex appeal!

HK-47 said:
Of course there was a reason. Alien women sex appeal!

Yeah if you like squidheads.

bababouille said:

Bioware made it/my femshep/dialogue tree/combat better than ME1/what better name to give a grunt character (who's an overgrown toad in a test tube) than calling him "grunt".

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
MalboroRed said:
Yeah if you like squidheads.
Fair trade for eternally young (as far as your life span is concerned) and nervous-system-joining super space sex.

But really she is classier than the others by a mile, or in the case of Tali and Jack, a few hundred miles.

Dice said:
Fair trade for eternally young (as far as your life span is concerned) and nervous-system-joining super space sex.

But really she is classier than the others by a mile, or in the case of Tali and Jack, a few hundred miles.

No thanks, I'll stick with humans.

EDarkness

Gvaz said:
Reading responses on the internet leads me to believe that this is the reaction to a lot of people who play ME.

I like Tali too but I think some people just need to tone it down a notch.

I am a big Tali fan and glad that I avoided both women in ME1, but some of the Tali love out there is crazy. The only thing I want them to do with the character in ME2 is show what they look like out of the suit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just beat it...

Such deep and evolving character development lead combined with such great atmospheric music and story design.

I cried...

Thunder Monkey said:
Nah, some characters I make then don't like what they look like in the game engine, so I start over on a new character.

I have two Magneto dedicated characters in that list, the first I hated.

ME1 I nearly broke 1000 hours and over 50 characters.

KotOR was over 1,000 hours and can't remember the character count.

I <3 Bioware.

1000 hours?! Really?

That's like 6 work months (assuming a work week is 40 hrs). Who has that much time?

Yoshichan said:
I just beat it...

Such deep and evolving character development lead combined with such great atmospheric music and story design.

I cried...

Nice troll. You got me....

You ARE trolling right? Right?

I have to admit, when the T-1000 rose up I think I shed a tear as well. [/Captain Obvious]

Though the ending is pretty intense despite the terrible boss encounter :p It can be affecting, especially if you lose a party member you liked

ichinisan said:
1000 hours?! Really?

That's like 6 work months (assuming a work week is 40 hrs). Who has that much time?

I'm amazed at how much time some people have put into single games, assuming they're being serious. I don't think I've beaten any of my favorite games more than 5 times.

Patryn

bababouille said:

GAF? No criticism? Good god.

Wallow in the bitterness.

lucius

bababouille said:

It is as close to a 100% game for me because of the gameplay. My 3rd playthrough on insanity Infiltrator was as fun or even more fun than my 1st playthrough as Soldier on normal. The enemy and squad AI is excellent on the harder difficulties you can't just hide in any cover you have to pick the right spots, it is not perfect but compared to most games it is great. It is fun finding out the different powers that work best together, I liked to line up an enemy and use slam then double reave before unleashing gunfire on them. But another person will play a different way.

The choices carried over from ME1 are pretty cool too, one simple example when I had the choice to save or kill the Rachni Queen in the lab, Ashley wanted me to kill it but Laira wanted to spare it, I decided to spare it even though I had been following most of Ashely's views most of the game. It is nice you get to hear in ME2 how Queen is doing. Many little things like that in the game most developers won't even bother doing.

I will say I liked ME1 music and story more than ME2 but gameplay ME2 is much better.

And how many games can have an alien who help commit genocide on a species(all though a dangerous one)break into song and manage to make him funny and likable.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Yoshichan said:
I just beat it...

I cried...

Videogames make people cry? Oh god lord. *facepalm*

Dice

lethial said:
Apparently FFX and MGS3 made a lot of people cry. I am not one of those people.

Kyoufu

Was playing earlier. Not having fun with the combat whatsoever. It is so "shooter-fied" that I get bored instantly. To make things worse, I hit my Charge button and bam, game freezes.

Torture.

Dice

I'm not sure I would like this game on consoles. I am constantly telling my team exactly where to go and what to do and making very precise moves myself. It doesn't seem like it would work right with a controller.

lucius

lethial said:

Maybe he or she is kidding but even if not what's wrong with that, the game didn't make me cry buy the ME series has moved me as much as any movie or book in last few years. Ok I admit I don't read many books but I go to the movies at least 3 times a month.

Coxswain

HK-47 said:
I wanna know what asari look like to the other species.
They look exactly the same as they look to you and I; please tell me you didn't miss the incredibly obvious joke and took that one conversation on Ilium at face value.

Coxswain said:
They look exactly the same as they look to you and I; please tell me you didn't miss the incredibly obvious joke and took that one conversation on Ilium at face value.

It's true, but only when you're drunk.

It's not as if they already didn't look human enough though.

Dice said:
It doesn't seem like it would work right with a controller.
It doesn't.

Top Bottom