• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor Warfighter review codes being sent on day 1?

Yes, I know what it usually means but MoH 2010 was a day 1 arrival too because Dice was running late. It still got decent scores and sold 5 million.

Considering that they promoting the sequel as big changer and that the game still underperformed even with that sales... they probably want to be in a little better position this time.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Considering that they promoting the sequel as big changer and that the game still underperformed even with that sales... they probably want to be in a little better position this time.

I think it'll do fine. Who knows what EA's disgusting projections are though.

As I recall, EA did a similar thing to a lot of review websites with Dragon Age 2, where they just flat out didn't even send out review copies to certain sites like Giant Bomb.

Grief.exe

They aren't shipping review copies of medal of honor until the game is on sale. This usually means something is really wrong with the game.

Kind of adds up with the 50% off deal. Has ea ever done that before? Hell no, trying to get your money now while you are not informed.

As I recall, EA did a similar thing to a lot of review websites with Dragon Age 2, where they just flat out didn't even send out review copies to certain sites like Giant Bomb.

EA is so evil. Just make a good game, then you don't gave to worry about stuff like this.

Aaron

Probably don't want it leaked early. Pirated games probably have a bigger impact on sales than any reviews.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Just recenlt firaxis did not send Tom chick a copy of XCOM. Does XCOM suck now too?

Jawmuncher

Not good at all.
Hopefully they're just being weird and the game at least has a quality level similar to the first game. Don't care about the MP (Which had a public beta) I just want the SP to be good.

Haunted

This'll lead to even more rushed reviews... is what I'd usually say but MoH is probably another 6 hour campaign affair so reviews could be up quick.

That said, I think this practice does speak volumes and sends a clear message to the consumer aware of this.

Medal of Honor Warfighter for the 360

sq3LIl.jpg

Game have good stuff but some bad stuff too. I would like to see some things improved.

Someone's had it for two weeks at least.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Tom chick isn't the only reviewer on that website...

You mentioned one site ea didn't send it to. Were there others?

EDGE

They reviewed all October titles

How come MOH: Warfighter isn't there

They even did NFS: MW, that shit comes out 1 week later than MOH: WF

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496441

I get Ass Creed III is missing but that's most likely due to embargo + also end of month, review in next month issue

sTeLioSco

Banned
EDGE

They reviewed all October titles

How come MOH: Warfighter isn't there

They even did NFS: MW, that shit comes out 1 week later than MOH: WF

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496441

I get Ass Creed III is missing but that's most likely due to embargo + also end of month, review in next month issue

yes,good observation,i don't remember recently a big release not sending copies for review.

also nfs:mw 9/10 looks like criterion did it again :)

i-Lo

I have been distracted by their unpolished, heavy handed and over the top usage of SSAO. Perhaps that's why EA held back XD

Krabboss

The people saying this is good/fine or that reviewers should not expect to get games before release are goofin'. The job of a reviewer is to inform buying decisions. That's pretty difficult to do if they can't put out a review until at least a day after the game comes out (which seems to be what EA is shooting for here). So basically, if you argue they shouldn't get games early you're basically saying they shouldn't exist at all. Goofin'.

People are confusing release day embargos w/ no reviewable copy.

COD, Rockstar, and Bethesda almost always do embargos till launch day or the day before but the outlets have all played the game. Not providing the reviewers with a copy of the game before launch is really really suspect.

DaBuddaDa

People are confusing release day embargos w/ no reviewable copy.

COD, Rockstar, and Bethesda almost always do embargos till launch day or the day before but the outlets have all played the game. Not providing the reviewers with a copy of the game before launch is really really suspect.

Right: having an embargo set to release day still means the reviewers get copies of the games at least a couple days in advance so they can prepare for launch day. This situation means we won't be getting formal reviews until a day or two after launch.

Prepare for a lot of Twitter snark regarding this on Tuesday from reviewers.

iNvid02

this is EA's plan, they're not very confident about how MOH-WF will perform so they withhold review copies. reviewer expectations (and everyone else's) drop drastically. when they finally get to see the game they're pleasantly surprised.

IM ON TO YOU

Effect

Reviews not being allowed until the day the game comes out or the day before is one thing. Not even allowing the game to be in the hands of reviewers until the day it goes on sale sends up a big red flag.

antitrop

holding reviews back until launch is nothing unusual, but sending review copies out on launch day (which means reviews wont go up untill 2-3 days after launch)? like they said, pretty dodgy.
It also tends to lead towards rushed reviews.

Joni

Damn you EA for not giving me my free games earlier... At times like this you start thinking some reviewers have gotten too complient when it is coming to receiving games.

aegies

I would rather work with Rockstar. You dictate everything, play sites like fiddles and sites eagerly suck their cocks for it all. Lol

Yes, I know what it usually means but MoH 2010 was a day 1 arrival too because Dice was running late. It still got decent scores and sold 5 million.

I had MOH 2010 two weeks early on PC and consoles for review. I also was one of the few reviewers who got Battlefield 3 the Thursday afternoon before release.

Other fall examples:

- I played Halo 4 at a review event two weeks ago, and expect a retail copy Monday.
- I've had AC3 for three weeks.
- We should have NFS:MW next week.
- The review event for Black Ops 2 is next week.
- I got Skylanders Giants last Saturday.
- We had XCOM three weeks early.
- I had Dishonored for 8 days before embargo.

The only day of copies so far this fall WRT retail have been 007 Legends, Doom 3 BFG, and now Medal of Honor. I've actually never played Medal of Honor: Warfighter in any capacity, so I don't know how it is. But it is unusual for us to get it this late.

Roq12

Neo Member
Doesn't have to mean anything, but this has happend to too many bad games to just let it go without a little suspicion.

Joni

This is the post of a man who missed the point by about a million miles.
I see the general point in the thread, doesn't mean I don't see a problem in journalists complaining they don't get a free game before other people.

Damn you EA for not giving me my free games earlier... At times like this you start thinking some reviewers have gotten too complient when it is coming to receiving games.

Really? I hope you haven't actually missed the point of this topic that badly.

edit:

I see the general point in the thread, doesn't mean I don't see a problem in journalists complaining they don't get a free game before other people.

Ok, yeah. You actually missed the point entirely. :/

Probably has to do with the multiplayer. Maybe they are using the data from the demo beta to make some critical changes and don't want reviewers playing the multiplayer until the day one patch hits.

Also short single player means even they understand that reviewers can get it done quickly on that part.

Joni

Really? I hope you haven't actually missed the point of this topic that badly.
Ok, yeah. You actually missed the point entirely. :/
The point that they have no confidence in their game and that they want to mislead the public which this might be proof of? Yes. That might be the reason. There could be different reasons for it. The reviewers complaining about it on the other hand just seem entitled.

Then you're still missing the point by a few miles.
You think they should have access to it and get to complain about it?

The point that they have no confidence in their game and that they want to mislead the public which this might be proof of? Yes. That might be the reason. There could be different reasons for it. The reviewers complaining about it on the other hand just seem entitled.
Entitled that they want to do their job? I'm out.

Top Bottom