• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/26 - 4/1

AniHawk

Well what I'm glad about is the resurgence of the platformer. Not that last gen was BAD, but Nintendo only had one new one (which many think was a miss), and everybody else's aside from Insomniac couldn't measure up to their efforts a generation prior. Psychonauts and Klonoa 2 were badass though.

Since 2006 we've seen YIDS, NSMB, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Ratchet & Clank Future, SATSR, R&C: Size Matters, Kirby, Loco Roco, Daxter, Exit, and even that horrible Gamefreaks game. And Banjo-Threeie should hit sometime in the next year decade.

nli10

flipping_heck said:
Gamestation is also offering the PS3 for £399

Actually GS has the condition that you must trade in any one game to get that price - they will however sell you a 1.99 PS2 game to trade in to get the reduced price. :lol

Basically all UK stores that had PS3 on launch still have some. No bad thing in my opinion - I'm sick of half assed console lanches where there is little stock to go round. The casual stores discounted first (WH Smiths did a full page print add in a national paper & the music stores in the same chain discounted the same day) and then the games stores had to match the prices (not sure whether GAME officially did or not tho). The real test will be whether the prices will return to the £425 point after the Easter half term finishes ( about 7-10 days from now depending on the part of the UK you are in). I'm thinking it will.

Bundles seem to be where the PS3 money is at the moment, but its hard to convince someone to get 3 games when the system is already so pricey.

Zynx

AniHawk said:
Well what I'm glad about is the resurgence of the platformer. Not that last gen was BAD, but Nintendo only had one new one (which many think was a miss), and everybody else's aside from Insomniac couldn't measure up to their efforts a generation prior. Psychonauts and Klonoa 2 were badass though.

Since 2006 we've seen YIDS, NSMB, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Ratchet & Clank Future, SATSR, R&C: Size Matters, Kirby, Loco Roco, Daxter, Exit, and even that horrible Gamefreaks game. And Banjo-Threeie should hit sometime in the next year decade.
Most of the platformers have been mellowed down for the 'wider audience', though. We haven't seen anything challenging like Mario World's ultrasecret levels
- bad for business since our market is so narrow

I just want to tell you guys that I most likely won't be posting the newest instalment of the Sales Age Saga in tomorrow's MC Thread for a variety of reasons.

It may go up, but don't hold your breath. Hopefully my issues should be sorted out in time for the big NPD blowout April 19th.

Zynx said:
Most of the platformers have been mellowed down for the 'wider audience', though. We haven't seen anything challenging like Mario World's ultrasecret levels

I don't know, getting the 100's in Yoshi's **** **** **** you ****er ****ing **** Island DS is about as hard a thing as I've ever done in gaming.

Mar

Zynx said:

Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins kicks you in the balls punches you in the face and says hello.

I agree with Anihawk too. Great to see the platformer coming alive again. My favourite genre.

ziran

Famitsu Top 10 Apr 2-8 07:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/04/11/103,1176287105,70007,0,0.html

1. Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator (PS2)
2. Gundam SEED Alliance vs. ZAFT Portable (PSP)
3. Musou Orochi (PS2)
4. Pro Baseball Spirits 4 (PS2)
5. Yoshi's Island DS (NDS)
6. Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (PS2)
7. More English Training (NDS)
8. Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (NDS)
9. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 2 (PSP)
10. Wii Sports (Wii)

ziran said:

3. Musou Orochi (PS2)
10. Wii Sports (Wii)
wow. 6 out of 10 games in the top ten on sony platforms. when was the last time that happened stat trackers?

Meier

ziran said:

3. Musou Orochi (PS2)
10. Wii Sports (Wii)

Pretty wild to see 2 PSP titles in the top 10, even if they're new releases.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
plagiarize said:
wow. 6 out of 10 games in the top ten on sony platforms. when was the last time that happened stat trackers?
Wow, Nintendo am d00m3d.

plagiarize said:

Seems over for Nintendo.

Good to see some nice Layton legs, and Yoshi went back up by quite a bit compared to last week's chart. Musou Orochi with strong legs, too.

Evlar

Banned
DarkMehm said:
sinobi:

PSP ~30k
Wii ~45k
DS ~120k
PS3 ~15k
PSP: Hit the skids despite Famitsu's report of strong software sales.
Wii: Dropping further. This would be a new low, I think? I presume Nintendo is holding 'em back.
DS: Back to "All Systems Normal" after last week's bizarre drop.
PS3: About normal for the GameCube I mean OH SHIT.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Sphinx said:
Wii: Dropping further. This would be a new low, I think? I presume Nintendo is holding 'em back.
That or they gave more units to Europe for Easter. In UK alone they sold 25K last week.

marc^o^ said:
That or they gave more units to Europe for Easter. In UK alone they sold 25K last week.
Holding off for Golden week i guess with shipping in Japan.
I mean why the hell send 80K a week to Japan to have just 80K to go with the launch of SPM??

The Sphinx said:
PSP: Hit the skids despite Famitsu's report of strong software sales.
DS: Back to "All Systems Normal" after last week's bizarre drop.
PS3: About normal for the GameCube I mean OH SHIT.

Isn't the PSP doing better than it was at this point last year? I vaguely remember 26k units.

Bo130

DeaconKnowledge said:
Isn't the PSP doing better than it was at this point last year? I vaguely remember 26k units.

W/E April 11th 2006:

DSL - 154.731
DS - 49.825
PSP - 30.565
PS2 - 28.896
GBASP - 5.211
GBM - 3.103
Xbox360 - 1.940
GC - 1.224
GBA - 110
Xbox - 46

Evlar

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Last year PSP was at 36,943 (for the last week of March). At any rate, PSP appeared to have established a new base sales rate of about 40k over the past few weeks (post-MHP2). That is crumbling.

DarkMehm said:
sinobi:

PSP ~30k
Wii ~45k
DS ~120k
PS3 ~15k

PSP is still doing rather good, relatively speaking, and it is looking to be the true follower of the PS2 in Japan, but I doubt they can really keep the momentum up high for too long. I am more interested in the PS2 amount, though, to compare with PS3 sales.

splattergnome said:
PSP is still doing rather good, relatively speaking, and it is looking to be the true follower of the PS2 in Japan, but I doubt they can really keep the momentum up high for too long. I am more interested in the PS2 amount, though, to compare with PS3 sales.

That's true. PS3 is the true "successor". PSP isnt supposed to be holding the fort. Is it that people are looking forward more to PSP games than PS3 or do they simply not consider PS3 worth its value?

enishi

Ok, DarkMehm posted Sinobi's hardware number. Maybe I post some software numbers then:

PS2 (15k this week)
=============
Pro Baseball Spirits 4 - LTD 90k
Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator - 70k (new)
Kingdom Heart 2 FM+ - LTD 200k

PSP
=============
Gundam SEED Alliance vs. ZAFT Portable - 60k (new)

NDS
=============
Yoshi's Island DS - LTD 500k
Mojipittan DS - LTD 200k
Tamagochi (released 2 weeks ago) - 20k
Conan - 20k (new)

PW4 1st shipment - 400k. Capcom is in full force to push the title. There is chance that it will sell out its 1st shipment before next arrive in end of April.

ziran

enishi said:
Ok, DarkMehm posted Sinobi's hardware number. Maybe I post some software numbers then:

PS2 (15k this week)
=============
Pro Baseball Spirits 4 - LTD 90k
Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator - 70k (new)
Kingdom Heart 2 FM+ - LTD 200k

PSP
=============
Gundam SEED Alliance vs. ZAFT Portable - 60k (new)

NDS
=============
Yoshi's Island DS - LTD 500k
Mojipittan DS - LTD 200k
Tamagochi (released 2 weeks ago) - 20k
Conan - 20k (new)

PW4 1st shipment - 400k. Capcom is in full force to push the title. There is chance that it will sell out its 1st shipment before next arrive in end of April.
Thanks.

Capcom is confident about PW4, the remakes have sold well, so it could manage big numbers.

Another Tamagotchi game showing legs...little girls sure doesn't like to queue first day for their games eh? :/

Just had a look at amazon, English Training 2 looks like its starting to show legs there keeping in the top as usual with Training titles. I also have a bad feeling about Super Paper Mario, I've looking at it these days, and other 4/19 releases as in: Fate, Persona 3 both editions and Nodame Cantabile are usually above it. I'm not saying doom & gloom but it looks like it won't be that big on the release day, maybe it'll show legs, maybe Nintendo hardcore base doesn't buy their games at amazon, who knows, its interesting nonetheless.

Scum

ylvis_ said:
You're a year and a half late.
Oh well...
Indifferent2.gif

I do not think Nintendo is holding back units.

They could have gone to Europe for Easter. Or to Europe and the US for Easter.

I don't think Nintendo ever has to hold back, at least until building up for the holidays.

Before the holidays start, they don't need to hold back. Just ship the units to whatever territory is having the holiday/new big game, that week. Every place else will have fewer units that week because the units went to the other location.

If there truly was a widespread unit drop off in March, then it was only to prep the factories for the increased production. They may have had to change the line to make it more efficient.

enishi

ziran said:
Thanks.

Capcom is confident about PW4, the remakes have sold well, so it could manage big numbers.

I was in Japan last week. I went to several game shops in Shinjuku, Ikebukuro and Akihabara. I saw GS4 booths in spotlight position. And I saw a lot of TV ad (similar to KH2FM+). And with such large ad in Shinjuku JR station (From Nintendo-inside):

07041010769.jpg

07041010770.jpg

mabuza

Banned
splattergnome said:
they can definetely keep the momentum up. there are great games coming for the psp in the next few months which should help it stabilize

NewLib

Banned
How are there already FOUR Phoenix Wright games?? When will Capcom learn all this does is cause series to decline in sales prematurely.

mabuza

Banned
NewLib said:
How are there already FOUR Phoenix Wright games?? When will Capcom learn all this does is cause series to decline in sales prematurely.
why not. if its selling really well, why not keep milking it. and from the looks of it this one will sell very well

Evlar

Banned
NewLib said:
The first GS game was released in Japan in October 2001. It was released in NA four years later. It's taken them almost six years to get to GS4, which is a rather slow rate compared to some other franchises.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
NewLib said:
Yeah but the first three were on GBA, the DS' first two are remakes of GS1 and GS2, GS4 is the first original DS GS.

Also as The Sphinx noted, the release rate of the GS' is not that hectic: GS1 is October 11, 2001 (with the DS remake in 2005 for jp and na, early 2006 for europe), GS2 is October 22, 2002 (with the DS remake in 2006 for jp, 2007 for the rest of the world), GS3 is January 23, 2004 (with no DS remake) and GS4 will be released in April 12, 2007.

1 year between GS1 and GS2, 1.5 year between GS2 and GS3 and >3 years between GS3 and GS4 (with two remakes inbetween).

They don't milk the franchise that fast, it just seems so because the western world has seen its first Phoenix Wright release in 2005.

Top Bottom