• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/26 - 4/1

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ynos Yrros said:
Wow, that's exactly why I don't enter MC threads.
rememberkids.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
BigGreenMat said:
Pretty huge drop for Wii. It definitely needs some new compelling software. Where are the releases?

I don't know you, so I have to ask- serious, or sarcastic?

BigGreenMat said:
Pretty huge drop for Wii. It definitely needs some new compelling software. Where are the releases?

Super Paper Mario & Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree are coming this month, along with a couple of other third-party titles, but I think it might be worth reading the rest of the thread to see why there might be such a huge drop for the Wii & DS...

Jokeropia

BigGreenMat said:
Wii (and DS) sales are entirely dependent on shipments. It doesn't need anything right now, but will get Super Paper Mario and Big Brain Academy soon anyway.

haircut

Battersea Power Station said:
It's no different that seeing some contrived, pre-packaged singer like Avril Levigne or whatever flop in sales.
Avril Lavigne can actually sing pretty well. A better example for what you're going for would be Ashlee Simpson. She used to be so cute before surgical modifications but was never actually able to sing, and her "La La" performance at the Orange Bowl (and the boos that followed, and the dancers in football helmets) was hilariously bad, just the stuff of legend.

Also this quote after she pulled a Milli Vanilli on SNL and tried to cover it up with a silly dance: "My band started playing the wrong song, and I didn't know what to do, so I thought I'd do a hoe-down."

Thraktor

Vinnk, could you check availability of Wii Sports for your next report? I can't imagine it'd be supply-constrained at this stage, but it'd be helpful to know for my attach-ratio analysis.

Incidentally, I'd like to make note that my Wii hardware prediction for this week was off by only 87 units :D
Hoping nobody notices my previous predictions were off by 20,000

I may eat crow for this. But I'm going to put out the prediction that Wii Brain Training won't be nearly as big as Super Paper Mario. I think Brain Training will be big, but is primarily a DS title that won't translate into huge sales on the Wii.

What do you guys think?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
joetachi said:
Well i could do it, if Pureauthor's ok with it.:D
I'm sure Pureauthor won't mind as long as he gets proper credit! Though you may need to work with him on proper character and environment design. :D

NomarTyme

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Seems Naruto PS2 (60k) beats Gundam PSP (50k), Pawapuro 2 PSP 20k, and the paragraph about Musou DS is very confusing but does it say just 5.000? o.o

Also, FF1 PSP retailers orders seems to have just exceeded 100k.

Wow, so they think this will sell?

Gekkonidae said:
I may eat crow for this. But I'm going to put out the prediction that Wii Brain Training won't be nearly as big as Super Paper Mario. I think Brain Training will be big, but is primarily a DS title that won't translate into huge sales on the Wii.

What do you guys think?

I agree.

joetachi

XiaNaphryz said:
I'm sure Pureauthor won't mind as long as he gets proper credit! Though you may need to work with him on proper character and environment design. :D
Well i dont know if he is online, but i ber he will get back in this thread later so if he likes the idea he can PM me.

mabuza said:
just shut up. sony's sucess is based on giving gamers some amazing games over the past ten years, thats what made them succesful, and thats why the ps3 isnt doing so well, it really is that simple

Yes, but now you have to figure out why Sony's earlier consoles had those amazing games and this one doesn't.

D.Lo said:
You're right, but it will be much, much worse for Sony fans, because unlike Sega and Nintendo, Sony do not have a strong enought portfolio of games to support their platform by themselves. N and Sega fans always had their Zeldas, Metroids, Marios, Pikmins, F-zeros, Mario Karts, Space Channel 5s, Crazy Taxis, Panzer Dragoons, Shenmues and Virtua Fighters to fall back on. Nintendo and Sega fans were disappointed with the public's attitude to their consoles, but were still happy with the games they played on them, as the N64, DC and GCN had the absolute best games around on them, at least from the perspective of those company's fans.

What does Sony have? Gran Turrismo, a series in serious decline, and that's really it. Apart from GT, all their other highest selling (and over the years strong brand associated) titles are 3rd party - Metal Gear, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, GTA. And with these melting away, Sony will only be left with GT, divisive low selling titles like SoTC, and technically accomplished but ultimately cookie-cutter stuff like Resistence and Jak.

what? your information is seriously wrong, and you can´t even get the name of the game right. so you really think sega has a stronger first party compared to sony´s? are you talking sales or your personal taste?

lupin23rd

Haha WTF someone brings up a list of first party Sega brands and doesn't list Sonic, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, and Streets of Rage yet lists Space Channel 5 and Crazy Taxi?

As for Sony, God of War also says hello. Or is that one in decline too?

BTW, in terms of Japanese devs, is it just me or do we not know what a lot of devs are doing in terms of next-gen? Yeah, there are certainly less PS3 games, but judging by what we've seen on the Wii, I don't think they're all moving en masse over there, and well, let's not even talk about the 360 in the context of Japanese devs (unless we're talking niche titles or Capcom). I get the feeling a bunch of places are on vacation

Or is everyone really only doing DS games now?

m

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
seattle6418 said:
what? your information is seriously wrong, and you can´t even get the name of the game right. so you really think sega has a stronger first party compared to sony´s? are you talking sales or your personal taste?
I agree with you, Sony's first-party franchises are very strong. People ignoring that really have to start listening to this man.

shane.jpg

lupin23rd

Gekkonidae said:

What do you guys think?

Is anybody outside of GAF really excited about Super Paper Mario?

I can see it doing Fire Emblem-ish numbers. Or is this actually a non-game that will sell?

m

Evlar

Banned
lupin23rd said:

I can see it doing Fire Emblem-ish numbers. Or is this actually a non-game that will sell?

m
If you want to know if anyone outside GAF is interested in the game your best move would be asking somewhere other than GAF.

schuelma

lupin23rd said:

m

Well, Nintendo has a commercial running. It's also the #1 Wii seller on the amazon.com chart. I expect it to sell very well.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
lupin23rd said:

m
People are expecting this to do well because it's a Mario platformer and I don't blame them.

Brak

Japan is in love with Mario again, plus the Paper Mario franchise is much bigger than Fire Emblem. I would espect sales to be 750k - 900k. If it gets some MarioKart DS type legs it might crawl to 1.5 mill eventually. I think it will be hurt by limited Wii availability to a certain extent though.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
lupin23rd said:

m

:lol What the hell? I certainly don't expect NSMB level numbers, but I assure you it will easily fly by FE numbers.

Aisenherz

Banned
D.Lo said:
You're right, but it will be much, much worse for Sony fans, because unlike Sega and Nintendo, Sony do not have a strong enought portfolio of games to support their platform by themselves. N and Sega fans always had their Zeldas, Metroids, Marios, Pikmins, F-zeros, Mario Karts, Space Channel 5s, Crazy Taxis, Panzer Dragoons, Shenmues and Virtua Fighters to fall back on. Nintendo and Sega fans were disappointed with the public's attitude to their consoles, but were still happy with the games they played on them, as the N64, DC and GCN had the absolute best games around on them, at least from the perspective of those company's fans.

What does Sony have? Gran Turrismo, a series in serious decline, and that's really it. Apart from GT, all their other highest selling (and over the years strong brand associated) titles are 3rd party - Metal Gear, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, GTA. And with these melting away, Sony will only be left with GT, divisive low selling titles like SoTC, and technically accomplished but ultimately cookie-cutter stuff like Resistence and Jak.
Oh god.... :lol :lol :lol :lol

CANLI

Brak said:
Japan is in love with Mario again, plus the Paper Mario franchise is much bigger than Fire Emblem. I would espect sales to be 750k - 900k. If it gets some MarioKart DS type legs it might crawl to 1.5 mill eventually. I think it will be hurt by limited Wii availability to a certain extent though.

Don't think so. In Japan, all have changed. This game isn't on handled, so it will not sell 750k-1500k.
My estimates for this game are 600K. If Nintendo wants to earn more money again, they have to make a Paper Mario on DS.

schuelma

lupin23rd said:
Haha WTF someone brings up a list of first party Sega brands and doesn't list Sonic, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, and Streets of Rage yet lists Space Channel 5 and Crazy Taxi?

As for Sony, God of War also says hello. Or is that one in decline too?

BTW, in terms of Japanese devs, is it just me or do we not know what a lot of devs are doing in terms of next-gen? Yeah, there are certainly less PS3 games, but judging by what we've seen on the Wii, I don't think they're all moving en masse over there, and well, let's not even talk about the 360 in the context of Japanese devs (unless we're talking niche titles or Capcom). I get the feeling a bunch of places are on vacation

Or is everyone really only doing DS games now?

m

Well, projects announced right now for the Wii probably got started prior to its amazing sales. I expect a lot more announcements starting this summer.

Diablos54

CANLI said:
Don't think so. In Japan, all have changed. This game isn't on handled, so it will not sell 750k-1500k.
My estimates for this game are 600K. If Nintendo wants to earn more money again, they have to make a Paper Mario on DS.
Lol. If you really think this'll max out at 600k you must be mad. Zelda should cross that eventually, more like a MARIO game. :lol

haircut said:
Avril Lavigne can actually sing pretty well. A better example for what you're going for would be Ashlee Simpson. She used to be so cute before surgical modifications but was never actually able to sing, and her "La La" performance at the Orange Bowl (and the boos that followed, and the dancers in football helmets) was hilariously bad, just the stuff of legend.
"

Sony certainly knows how to sing. Sony has had the best games for over 10 years.

AdmiralViscen said:
Sony certainly knows how to sing. Sony has had the best games for over 10 years.

No, Sony's had the MOST games for over 10 years. I'll even give you the "most good games". Still a big difference from "best".

I can't wait till the whole Wii/360/PS3 fight is over or at least significantly less of a focus in every thread. I think people on this board right now are seeing games as weapons instead of something they enjoy.

Brak

CANLI said:
Sorry, what? "In Japan, all have changed"? yeah, things have changed - people actually care about Nintendo and Mario again.

Jiggy

Gekkonidae said:

What do you guys think?
There isn't even a planned Brain Training for Wii. But if you mean Big Brain Academy, I really disagree for reasons I think I posted earlier in this thread. Unlike BT, BBA's a superb multiplayer title that, if anything, was hampered by the DS because of the inability to look over to the other side of the split screen and freak out or gloat about how well or poorly the other person is doing. It can also be watched as a spectacle game for others when there's a TV involved, and bragging rights about who's smarter are one of those things that never gets old (which is both why people would buy it and why they'd watch it).

I thought of a simpler way to respond to donny2112's PS3 relaunch thought. I think repositioning the PS3 against the Wii2 and Xbox361 would be about as good an idea as repositioning the PSP against the DS2.

The Sphinx said:
2.2 million or so? JoshJSloan or someone will have more reliable numbers than my fuzzy memory.
Heh. I actually don't try to keep track of software sales; hardware is much simpler.
The Sphinx said:
Whoa, heh, wow. I was way off.
Your 2.2 milliion guess sounds more like what the top N64 titles did. Yeah, Magic Box's platinum game chart has Mario Kart 64 at 2.24 million.
mabuza said:
just shut up. sony's sucess is based on giving gamers some amazing games over the past ten years, thats what made them succesful, and thats why the ps3 isnt doing so well, it really is that simple
Tf53 said:
Pfft. What made the PS2 a success was DVD playback and a year's head start. This gave them the user base that resulted in a multitude of games.
I think both of you are looking at this overly simplistically. Sega screwed up with the Saturn and Nintendo screwed up with the N64, which left Sony an opportunity for success with PS1 which they were able to really take advantage of. Since they didn't bungle the PS2 and their early new competition was just Dreamcast, there was no reason for the consumers/developers/publishers to not transition directly from PS1 to PS2.

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
And as long as it looks that way, fanboys for whom the Playstation was their first console will slowly or not so slowly turn into the "Nintards" of the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation - fanboys who, in their effort to "damage control" and "keep hope alive" can no longer rely on stock-standard, common-sense notions used by the majority and must instead turn to irrational arguments and obnoxious posting styles.

Yeah, and look how well that irrationality and stubbornness worked out for the N-fans.

The Wii/DS ascendancy proves that irrationality and nostalgia can make for an unassailable fanbase, so one can hardly adopt the SDF for adopting a similar tack. Heck, if out-tard the Nintendo fans, maybe they can put the PS3 back on top of the charts, after all.

schuelma

Greenpanda said:
Yeah, and look how well that irrationality and stubbornness worked out for the N-fans.

The Wii/DS ascendancy proves that irrationality and nostalgia can make for an unassailable fanbase, so one can hardly adopt the SDF for adopting a similar tack. Heck, if out-tard the Nintendo fans, maybe they can put the PS3 back on top of the charts, after all.

So people buying Nintendo=irrationality?

Greenpanda said:
Heck, if [they] out-tard the Nintendo fans, maybe they can put the PS3 back on top of the charts, after all.
The only charts the third-placed console will get to the top on the back of crazed fans will be Internet polls. I theorise that this is because release droughts leave a gamer with little else to do.

Deku

Banned
Greenpanda said:
The Wii/DS ascendancy proves that irrationality and nostalgia.

Very little to do with nostalgia. Nintendo knows the nostalgia fan gamer is one of their contingents and like any good political party they have a platform of releases for those consumers. But they've been milking the nostalgia cow since 2002-2003 and it didn't save the GameCube.

The ascendancy of the DS in particular was due to fresh ideas, strong 3rd party support, and good games.

bud said:
holy f*ck.....:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

this is the scariest shit i've ever encountered on gaf.

What's scarier is you lacking common sense and quoting the entirety of both posts.

Seriously.

Axord

Battersea Power Station said:
Doom & gloom? No, Sony has so many years of reputation built up that even taking out massive loans for even more massive operations wouldn't be hard.
Actually, it would be. They already have pretty massive debt (tens of billions), and what is essentially the company's credit rating was downgraded late last year.
"Why does this downgrade matter? Lower-rated bonds make it more expensive for Sony to borrow money, increasing the cost for the company to finance operations."
Clicky

Uhm, about Super Paper Mario vs Big Brain Academy, I think BBA will win. SPM is a hardcore game, really, probably not as hardcore as Zelda but still way hardcore compared to BBA.

I think SPM will sell better in the first week, there is a fanbase for Mario who will buy it at soon as possible. But I think it'll slow down like Zelda or Fire Emblem did.

BBA will join Wii Sports and Wii Play, probably will make those two slow down a little while it gets all the attention. If Wii continues to bring 80k new users every week, I can see BBA doing 40k weekly. For a long time that is. Of course, the game needs to be somehow innovative, fun, and it definitely needs Nintendo promotion. I don't know how is Nintendo taking these two games, when the time comes maybe some of the japanese gaffers can comment which title is Nintendo backing more.

PD: wow, Tales of Fandom Vol2 #2 and #3 on Amazon :D

Top Bottom