• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/26 - 4/1

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Masklinn said:
IT'S THE BLUE OCEAN, I FINALLY SEE IT!
cjoncot.gif

Thraktor

A few observations on Wii Sports:

These are assuming Nintendo continues Wii production at 70,562 a week (post-holiday average sales), and Wii Sports sales follow their current pattern with respect to hardware.

1 - Wii Sports will exceed Smash Bros. Melee (GC's biggest selling game) in 2 weeks (15th April)
2 - It'll hit 1.5 million in 6 weeks (13th May)
3 - It'll hit 2 million in 18 weeks (5th August)
4 - It will surpass Mario Kart 64 (N64's biggest selling game) in 24 weeks (16th September)
5 - It'll have sold just over 2.6 million in it's first year of sales.

The following are assuming that Nintendo has increased production capacity of Wii by 50%, coming into effect next week (first week of the new financial year), and the same Wii Sports sales patterns.

1 - It'll exceed Smash Bros. Melee (GC's biggest selling game) in 2 weeks (15th April)
2 - It'll hit 1.5 million in 4 weeks (29th April)
3 - It'll hit 2 million in 12 weeks (24th June)
4 - It will surpass Mario Kart 64 (N64's biggest selling game) in 16 weeks (22nd July)
5 - It'll hit 3 million in 30 weeks (28th October)
6 - It'll have sold just over 3.25 million in it's first year of sales.

Granted, SPM and BBA should have an effect on sales, but I'd say after a few weeks we'll see Wii Sports back at the top of the Wii charts until more big games start hitting around the end of the year. A good ~2.5 million sales in it's first year (presuming some sort of hardware production increase) certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I don't know how much does it matter, but Super Paper Mario is 1st on www.gamestats.com, this is something i'd expect from some FF, MGS or Gears of Wars, not from a Paper Mario game.
Gamestats.com keeps track of traffic on multiple sites, this means that SPM is the most popular game as of now on the Internet (or atleast on Ign and other few sites).

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
I thought of a simpler way to respond to donny2112's PS3 relaunch thought. I think repositioning the PS3 against the Wii2 and Xbox361 would be about as good an idea as repositioning the PSP against the DS2.

If the PSP was $400 at launch and had the power of the Xbox, it might be a better comparison. ;)

Axord

First Children said:
I don't know how much does it matter, but Super Paper Mario is 1st on www.gamestats.com, this is something i'd expect from some FF, MGS or Gears of Wars, not from a Paper Mario game.
It's not surprising at all, really.
1. Wii has been in a dry spell, focusing interest increasingly on what's immediately next.
2. Launch date is very soon.
3. It has a bit of Mario Platformer buzz.
4. Interest in big titles on other platforms are spread out between them, because none of them are launching soon.

Things would look very different if Halo3 was launching on the same day.

donny2112

Mrbob said:
I thought the NPD period went through April 7 so numbers don't hit till April 19.

You are correct. The March 5-week reporting period ends today (go buy those games, folks :lol ), and the report is usually issued the second Thursday from the end of the reporting period (April 19th for March 2007).

i.e. what starship said. :)

donny2112 said:
You are correct. The March 5-week reporting period ends today (go buy those games, folks :lol ), and the report is usually issued the second Thursday from the end of the reporting period (April 19th for March 2007).

i.e. what starship said. :)

Awww darn.

nli10

Just my own little bit of annecdotal evidence from the UK.

Local store has been getting an average of 20 Wii a week to sell (to preorders) and not had any for general sale. This easter weekend they recieved 100+ to sell - along with more than enough Wii Play which has been out of stock for ages too. Naturally this is a good thing as it shows conclusively that at least in Europe Nintendo have been stockpiling Wiis.

All stock went to Preorders, but as people saw other people gettting the machines now the pre-order list is actually longer than before Easter...

Wii Play's placing in the UK chart (Probably out Tue due to Bank Holiday) should indicate hardware levels.

Also Pokemon Ranger is out Friday and DS Lite are expected back in store in decent levels for the first time snce Xmas.

PS3 is now £399 in most stores (launched at £425), urban teens surround every demo unit in town though so long term hopefully it will take off.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I know some may not like anectotal stories, but as I was walking by my local Best Buy, I noticed that both Wiis and PS3s were in stock. However, they had 2 workers standing outside with signs that said Wii's in stock, and none for PS3. Pretty fricken crazy. Can't wait for March NPD.

Oblivion said:
I know some may not like anectodtal stories, but as I was walking by my local Best Buy, I noticed that both Wiis and PS3s were in stock. However, they had 2 workers standing outside with signs that said Wii's in stock. Pretty fricken crazy. Can't wait for March NPD.

I went to Best Buy and Target over the weekend. Didn't see an Wiis at all, but did see about 4 PS3s at each store.

That's pretty much the way it's been for the past few months.

Neomoto

PS3 is now £399 in most stores (launched at £425), urban teens surround every demo unit in town though so long term hopefully it will take off.
What, already? $ 50 is a pretty high price-drop considering it only launched 3 weeks ago..

antipode

Oblivion said:
I know some may not like anectodtal stories, but as I was walking by my local Best Buy, I noticed that both Wiis and PS3s were in stock. However, they had 2 workers standing outside with signs that said Wii's in stock. Pretty fricken crazy. Can't wait for March NPD.

Honestly if you are lucky enough that Wiis are not selling out instantly where you live, you should buy them and sell them on eBay or to GAFers. Unlike scalping during launch, it is a win-win situation:

You: Wiis are going for $330-$360 on eBay so you make at least a $50 profit each.

GAFers: People who want a Wii, but live where they have never been seen on a shelf, get an increased supply on eBay and so pay less for one.

It is the situation that scalping was intended for.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
antipode said:
Honestly if you are lucky enough that Wiis are not selling out instantly where you live, you should buy them and sell them on eBay or to GAFers. Unlike scalping during launch, it is a win-win situation:

You: Wiis are going for $330-$360 on eBay so you make at least a $50 profit each.

GAFers: People who want a Wii, but live where they have never been seen on a shelf, get an increased supply on eBay and so pay less for one.

It is the situation that scalping was intended for.

Well, when I went in, they said that they just had Wiis in stock today. So I wouldn' doubt if they get sold out pretty quickly.

jesusraz

nli10 said:

Yep, I've seen that as well here in Manchester. WH Smith has a 'special Easter price' of £399, with the price going back up by something like 15th April.

jesusraz said:
Yep, I've seen that as well here in Manchester. WH Smith has a 'special Easter price' of £399, with the price going back up by something like 15th April.

Gamestation is also offering the PS3 for £399

Raist

Banned
Hmmm. What the hell happened to Japan ? Once the land of hardcore fighting games, tough RPG's and crazy "you'd-need-500-credits-to-beat-it-but-you-only-have-2" shoot-em up.

And now 75% of the sales are basically brain games over and over.

Vinnk

Thraktor said:
Vinnk, could you check availability of Wii Sports for your next report? I can't imagine it'd be supply-constrained at this stage, but it'd be helpful to know for my attach-ratio analysis.

I can tell you right now that it is on stock in every store. The only time Wii Sports has been sold out were during the first 2 weeks after launch.

But here's something interesting. At Yamada Denki, they have an entire shelf with nothing but Wii Sports and Wii play. It is the same size as the one self they use to stock ALL the games for PS3. Wii has 3 shelves. DS has 6, PSP has 2, ps2 has 6, GCN and GBA and Xbox and 360 share one shelf.

Raist said:
Hmmm. What the hell happened to Japan ? Once the land of hardcore fighting games, tough RPG's and crazy "you'd-need-500-credits-to-beat-it-but-you-only-have-2" shoot-em up.

Not really, no.

Diablos54

Raist said:

Yea, games like DQ:M, Pokemon and NSMB are brain games... :lol

Raist

Banned
Well I was exaggerating that a bit yeah :p

But look at the number of brain games or """non games""" in the software sales list, I mean that's pretty impressive.

Scum

Vinnk said:
I can tell you right now that it is on stock in every store. The only time Wii Sports has been sold out were during the first 2 weeks after launch.

But here's something interesting. At Yamada Denki, they have an entire shelf with nothing but Wii Sports and Wii play. It is the same size as the one self they use to stock ALL the games for PS3. Wii has 3 shelves. DS has 6, PSP has 2, ps2 has 6, GCN and GBA and Xbox and 360 share one shelf.

An entire shelf? Bloody 'ell!

Eteric Rice

What are the chances of the Wii ending up as the "Playstation" of this generation? It might not have a lot of quality titles at the moment, but the sheer amount of stuff that's been released is getting crazy now.

lupin23rd

Vinnk, a few more to add to the list if it's not already full:

Twilight Princess [GC] (since it was only available online)
Karous [DC]
D&D Collection [Saturn]

Also curious what the most expensive and / or rarest games you've seen are.

m

AdmiralViscen said:
Not really, no.
Well, most good selling games are DS games. When you look at Wii games for example, a best selling home console now, the only games that sold exceptionally well are Wii Play and Wii Sports.

Japan is changing direction from hardcore gaming into new gaming.

ethelred

Ynos Yrros said:
Ynos Yrros said:
Well, most good selling games are DS games.

Yes, and most of those strong-selling DS games are... well, hardcore games, or at least real games that happen to be successful by also appealing to casual gamers.

Ynos Yrros said:
When you look at Wii games for example, a best selling home console now, the only games that sold exceptionally well are Wii Play and Wii Sports.

Zelda's still sold 420,000 copies. Fire Emblem's still sold 120,000. I'm not seeing the great threat to gaming here, or the change in direction.

Raist said:

Shooters and fighters stopped selling well a long, long time ago -- before either the DS or the Wii was a twinkling in Iwata's eye. Before the PS2, too, for that matter.

The RPGs? They're still there, though, still selling strong. So are robot games, anime games, action games, beat-em-ups, and sports games.

Ynos Yrros said:
Well, most good selling games are DS games. When you look at Wii games for example, a best selling home console now, the only games that sold exceptionally well are Wii Play and Wii Sports.

Your response does not negate my response to him.

ethelred said:
Yes, and most of those strong-selling DS games are... well, hardcore games, or at least real games that happen to be successful by also appealing to casual gamers.
Yeah, I think that the main problem is the userbase, there were many new consoles launched, and there just aren't that many hardcore gamers on board yet. DS already has very large user base, so all kinds of games can sell on it. Didn't think about it earlier.

Vinnk

lupin23rd said:
Vinnk, a few more to add to the list if it's not already full:

Twilight Princess [GC] (since it was only available online)
Karous [DC]
D&D Collection [Saturn]

Also curious what the most expensive and / or rarest games you've seen are.

m

You wanted prices?

I can tell you off the top of my head.

Twilight Princess [GC], I have only ever seen this game in person once. I friend of mine is a huge Zelda fan and she needed to own both the Wii and GC versions. I belive it cost 6800 yen (the same as Wii Zelda). I Have yet to see a used copy. Most people who bought the GC version are collectors and not likely to ever sell it.

Karous [DC] Never seen it "in the wild". You would have to go to a big city to ever see a copy on a store shelf. I would assume it is still as reatail price and when used copies do appear down the road they will sell for more than retail due to rartity.

D&D Collection [Saturn] Between 4500-8000 yen depending on the store and the condition.

The most expensive game I have ever seem was a new copy of Metal Slug for Neo-Geo AES. It was 200,000 (About $1800). But that was in a big town.

The most expensive game at my local shops (that is not a collectors box set) is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, for like 12000 yen (about $100)

Kaeru

Banned
Raist said:

Raist said:
Well I was exaggerating that a bit yeah :p

But look at the number of brain games or """non games""" in the software sales list, I mean that's pretty impressive.

spincity.jpg

yeah baby

apujanata

Vinnk said:
The most expensive game I have ever seem was a new copy of Metal Slug for Neo-Geo AES. It was 200,000 (About $1800). But that was in a big town.

The most expensive game at my local shops (that is not a collectors box set) is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, for like 12000 yen (about $100)

Big Wow at the first bold. Small wow at the second bold. Is the price for used game, or for brand new game (I'm referring to the castlevania game) ?

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Big Wow at the first bold. Small wow at the second bold. Is the price for used game, or for brand new game (I'm referring to the castlevania game) ?

Used, I can't even imagine how much a new one would go for.

Here's a fun game:

Predict when the Wii will stop being supply constrained.

My guess: 2nd week of July

antipode

Eteric Rice said:
What are the chances of the Wii ending up as the "Playstation" of this generation? It might not have a lot of quality titles at the moment, but the sheer amount of stuff that's been released is getting crazy now.

I think the DS already is the Playstation of this generation and will continue to be for the next few years. The Wii is guaranteed to be a big success, but it will have to compete for development resources with the DS.

AniHawk

Raist said:

I know you're being hammered by a lot of people right now, but I just want to use this post to make a sort of general point for anyone who thinks the DS/Wii is killing off traditional gaming.

Five years ago, in 2002, the top 10 would end with games selling around 8,000 for the week. The top 50 would end with games selling under 2,000. This is the PS2/GBA dominated Japan. These days, game sales in the top ten regularly end in the 20ks or therabouts, and the top 50 ends above 8,000 on good weeks. The games that had been selling like they were in 2002 still sell around the same. It's just that now, there's a much larger and more active audience out there, and the older stuff had been dying out for some time.

Eteric Rice

AniHawk said:
I know you're being hammered by a lot of people right now, but I just want to use this post to make a sort of general point for anyone who thinks the DS/Wii is killing off traditional gaming.

Five years ago, in 2002, the top 10 would end with games selling around 8,000 for the week. The top 50 would end with games selling under 2,000. This is the PS2/GBA dominated Japan. These days, game sales in the top ten regularly end in the 20ks or therabouts, and the top 50 ends above 8,000 on good weeks. The games that had been selling like they were in 2002 still sell around the same. It's just that now, there's a much larger and more active audience out there, and the older stuff had been dying out for some time.

But third party games don't sell on Nintendo systems.

Get with the program, AniHawk.

:)

Raist

Banned
AniHawk said:

I'm not say the DS/Wii were killing "traditional gaming" or whatever. That was just an observation, when i looked at softwares sales, where you can see a large number of "non traditional" games. I didn't mean that in sales numbers it was wayyy more than traditional games, either. Maybe I wasn't clear. Was just meaning that a majority of titles in the top 50 are brain games or this kind of stuff.
What's amazing is that brain games use the same very simple concepts, just bringing new "exercises", but still sell very well.
Didn't expect people to be over responsive to this. Oh well.

Thraktor

Vinnk said:

Thanks, that's what I'd thought.

Interesting note: The PS3 has now had four successive week-on-week declines in hardware sales (since the Gundabump). Will this continue? Could we see sub-15k numbers next week?

Edit:- In fact, here's a question for people. Which will happen first, Wii hitting 2.5 million or PS3 hitting 1 million? Post-holiday averages put both events at 8 weeks away, but will increased Wii shipments and PS3's post-Gundam decline conspire to get Nintendo there first?

AniHawk

Raist said:
I'm not say the DS/Wii were killing "traditional gaming" or whatever. That was just an observation, when i looked at softwares sales, where you can see a large number of "non traditional" games. I didn't mean that in sales numbers it was wayyy more than traditional games, either. Maybe I wasn't clear. Was just meaning that a majority of titles in the top 50 are brain games or this kind of stuff.
What's amazing is that brain games use the same very simple concepts, just bringing new "exercises", but still sell very well.
Didn't expect people to be over responsive to this. Oh well.

Well again, I really wasn't responding to you specifically. I just wanted to use your post as a springboard for a more general point.

Eteric Rice

Mr. Pointy said:
I'm glad non-traditional games are selling. It gives me hope for the industry's future.

I was getting worried my self. For a while, I thought everything was just going to turn into shooter, actions, and role playing games. It's nice to see things spreading out again.

Top Bottom