• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/4 - 6/10

CANLI

Pureauthor said:
500K for DQ Kenshin says you're wrong.

Yeah, I would like to see DQ selling 500k. I'm a fan of DQ but when I see the third party Wii games don't selling, still Zelda has not yet surpassed the 500K, I'm wondering if it could go until this number. + It's a spin-off. I hope Square party titles will be exceptions like in DS.

Since Dragona said we can use MC thread to talk about Sales in general, I was wondering when do you guys think the Wii's userbase is gonna surpass the collective 360 and Ps3 userbase? It's starting to look like(or already does) that the Wii isn't competing against the PS3/360 as individual consoles anymore.

jesusraz

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, it seems we won't see Revenant Wings numbers even in Famitsu, did it reach 500k? Mmm...I want to know how far are Kirby, Love & Berry and Monster Hunter Portable of a million! ><

FFXII - Nearly at 500,000 (Famitsu numbers0
Kirby - Over a million now (some big sales list on here)
L&B - Nearly at a million (some big sales list on here)

sinobi's numbers must have been off, as that's crazy if HM sold so little between its first day and this chart! :/

Atreides

titiklabingapat said:
Since Dragona said we can use MC thread to talk about Sales in general, I was wondering when do you guys think the Wii's userbase is gonna surpass the collective 360 and Ps3 userbase? It's starting to look like(or already does) that the Wii isn't competing against the PS3/360 as individual consoles anymore.

End of year is a bit early, perhaps (or perhaps not, if Nintendo can increase the production)... End of fiscal year (march 2008). Of course, this is supposing that the current trends in sales doesn't change too much (I think they won't).

ethelred said:
I wouldn't have minded being wrong.

We'll see what happens over the next few weeks, but it does at least seem to have reversed the downward trend of the last few console versions. Faint praise, I know, and a bit disappointing given the popularity of the platform and the apparently perfect match of game & console.

loosus

Banned
Hmm. For the Wii being such a huge success, the software largely isn't really doing all that hot. Stuff like Wii Sports and Wii Play are selling very well, of course, but they seem to be exceptions.

ziran

CANLI said:
I don't understand why there's no hype for Observation Training.

I bought the game and I'm playing it since 1 week.
It's way better than the BT. You don't need to know Japanese too.
When you say you don't need to know Japanese, do you mean there's an English option, or that it's in Japanese and fairly easy to figure out?

It looks good, and I'd like to give it a try, but from the videos I've seen at the game's homepage there looks to be a fair bit of Japanese text (in the results) and menus.

With Touch Generations doing so well around the world I'm sure this could be released outside Japan, and it's looks like it's going to be a big seller, but it could be a year away or even longer.

Deku said:
I'm wondering how well/poorly DQ: Swords will do. I think it will either be a smashing success or it will tank.
Still wondering if this is a ~300k DQ spin-off (Mysterious Dungeon games, Slime Mori Mori) or 1m+ (Monsters series).

I'm aware Kenshin sold 500k, but that's sort of a peripheral, this is a real console entry and things could change, for better or for worse. Hoping it's closer to 1m than 300k.

Cosmonaut X said:
We'll see what happens over the next few weeks, but it does at least seem to have reversed the downward trend of the last few console versions. Faint praise, I know, and a bit disappointing given the popularity of the platform and the apparently perfect match of game & console.
I thought the last DS game did really well and was hoping this would follow it quite nicely. I'm really disappointed because if the Sinobi first day numbers are to be believed, then this could end up with no legs and miss out on the 100k mark quite easily.

loosus said:
Hmm. For the Wii being such a huge success, the software largely isn't really doing all that hot. Stuff like Wii Sports and Wii Play are selling very well, of course, but they seem to be exceptions.
the wii has so far sold about 3 times as many consoles as the PS3.

there are more than 3 times as many wii titles in the top 30 software charts.

only the DS which, oddly enough has a much much bigger userbase and is outselling the wii every week has more titles in the top 30.

so... on what metric are you measuring software sales?

loosus said:

Other exceptions include:

Warioware Smooth Moves @ 400,000+
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess @ 400,000+
Super Paper Mario @ 400,000+
Pokemon Battle Revolution @ 200,000+
Fire Emblem X @ 130,000+

The "problem" at the moment isn't that software isn't selling, it's that third-party software isn't selling at the level of first-party. However, given the generally poor quality of initial releases - exceptions like Trauma Centre aside - the lacklustre performance in the face of a number of high-profile, high-quality first-party games isn’t too surprising. Something like RE4 has been disappointing, but even then you are talking about a port with no significant new features & it’s still likely to break the 100,000+ mark.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragona Akehi said:
I'm terrible at predictions, but I have a feeling that DQ:Swords is going to sell every last copy they press. And then some.

That's my gut feeling as well. Yes, its a spin off, but a spin off with high production values and more importantly, from every set of impressions is fits in perfectly with the whole pick up and play/simple game play + extensive wiiimote use that has worked so well for Wii Sports and Wii Play (no, I'm not saying Swords is that simple, just saying its not a hard game to get right into)

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm terrible at predictions, but I have a feeling that DQ:Swords is going to sell every last copy they press. And then some.

I think so too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it do very well, with Squenix being - as with the DS - the first third-party to do Nintendo-level numbers on the system.

Is Dragon Quest in Japan considered a casual title or a hardcore title or is it like Halo where both casuals and hardcores respond?

The only thing that kinda defies the odds of DQS selling well is it's ranking on the Famitsu most wanted list, which is sort of indicative(to some degree, at least) of otaku tastes.

birdchili

Cheesemeister said:
I should be able to still use much of the existing code.

what are you using to generate the lists? wget/perl?

re: DQ:Swords

previews have been relatively positive (with some skepticism in places). i think if it has substantial scope at all (lots of branching paths, hidden stuff, and sidequests) that make it feel a bit more rpg-ey it will do very well. it looks great, and there still isn't a quality game that lets you sword-about with the remote.

titiklabingapat said:
Is Dragon Quest in Japan considered a casual title or a hardcore title or is it like Halo where both casuals and hardcores respond?

The only thing that kinda defies the odds of DQS selling well is it's ranking on the Famitsu most wanted list, which is sort of indicative(to some degree, at least) of otaku tastes.

Like Halo, but on a larger scale, I think.

Having predictions in the other thread wasn't easy to see so if anyone else wants to predict how Dragon Quest Swords (12th July) and Minna no Golf 5 (26th July) will do, join us.

First week, first month, HW for that console the week of the release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6714250&postcount=135
jarrod said:
I'll go first!

Minna no Golf 5
1st week: 190.000
1st month: 285.000
PS3 hw: 21.000

Dragon Quest Sword
1st week: 315.000
1st month: 595.000
Wii hw: 102.000

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6714610&postcount=138
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Dragon Quest Swords
1st week: 250.000
1st month: 375.000
Wii: 90.000

Minna no Golf 5
1st week: 225.000
1st month: 315.000
PS3: 34.000

We didn't know about sinobi saying 250k may be first DQS shipment...so I think I'm going to win jarrod handily in that matter :D

Good to see RE4 hanging in there.

sphinx said:
If you consider yourself a gamer, to any extention of the word, HOW can you not buy the trusty bell bundle of grace and joy plus a couple of platinum titles including Dead Rising and GRAW?? Can someone do the math and tell me how much american dollars will a japanese gamer have to spend to get what I mentioned.

If that 360 sales number doesn't move to over 10k, Japan should be ashamed of their bias and declared unworthy of MS' efforts.
Not that sh*t again.

Deku said:
I'm wondering how well/poorly DQ: Swords will do. I think it will either be a smashing success or it will tank.
Will be interesting to see indeed.

titiklabingapat said:

Everyone plays DQ in japan. It's one of the few games that transcends "gamers".

syfodyas

Banned
Blablurn said:
And on Everybodys Golf 5 :|

No trolling, but do you think the success and quirkyness of Wii Sports (in particular Wii Sports: Golf) will have an affect on the sales of this title?

Evlar

Banned
syfodyas said:
No trolling, but do you think the success and quirkyness of Wii Sports (in particular Wii Sports: Golf) will have an affect on the sales of this title?
Hmm. Did Wii Sports Tennis have a negative effect on Virtua Tennis 3?

Hmm. Maybe.

Toru said:
iNSIDE, a Japanese game news site, started to report the MC numbers, from the top to the 30th, with numbers for top 10 as same as NTT eg.

Here is this week's number. A problem I see is that URLs for each week is not predictable.
http://www.inside-games.jp/news/211/21190.html

Two things. For one, I only see one such report listed on the news page there, so we don't know how reliable the source is in terms of consistency. Second, it was posted at 1 pm Thursday Japan time, which is midnight Wednesday night Eastern, two hours later than eg.

birdchili said:
what are you using to generate the lists? wget/perl?

C#.

plagiarize said:
the wii has so far sold about 3 times as many consoles as the PS3.

there are more than 3 times as many wii titles in the top 30 software charts.

only the DS which, oddly enough has a much much bigger userbase and is outselling the wii every week has more titles in the top 30.

so... on what metric are you measuring software sales?

Almost none of those third party titles have broken even ONE-HUNDRED THousand, and most bomb horribly after an "ok" launch week anyways.

And most big name Wii titles cap at 500,000. What problem DON'T you see?

LanceStern said:
Almost none of those third party titles have broken even ONE-HUNDRED THousand, and most bomb horribly after an "ok" launch week anyways.

Many publishers would give an arm and a leg to see their games cap at 500,000. What on earth are you talking about?

And concerning the bolded statement: Congrats - you've just described 95% of the Japanese video games markets, sans the DS, where it's more like 90%. No, wait, scratch that - there shouldn't be the 'ok' launch week.

Evlar

Banned
LanceStern said:

I don't see why that's a problem for a system with an installed base of 2.6 million in this territory. The success of Wii Sports and Wii Play warp people's expectations: They are anomalies, exceptional performers, and expecting other games to perform anywhere near that level is irrational.

LanceStern said:

if those are problems, then everything apart from the DS has underperforming software... so why single out the wii? like i said, only the DS has more software in the top 30 and it just so happens that the DS has a much bigger install base and is outselling the Wii week in and week out on top of that.

what percentage of third party software sells more than 100,000 copies? any ideas?

Saitou

Banned
plagiarize said:
if those are problems, then everything apart from the DS has underperforming software... so why single out the wii? like i said, only the DS has more software in the top 30 and it just so happens that the DS has a much bigger install base and is outselling the Wii week in and week out on top of that.

what percentage of third party software sells more than 100,000 copies? any ideas?
This is what happens when people only see the post-DS game industry.

Kids, don't let this happen to you.

Haunted

I needed to check the date twice, so many games with legs. They always show themselves in slower weeks, because their sales are so consistent. I've never seen a platform with that many games having such consistent sales. It's simply unprecedented.

iamblades

LanceStern said:

500k on a userbase of 2.5 million is not at all bad. That's 20% of the people with the console buying the game. Plus, it's certainly enough to make a handsome profit.

Plus, I'm not sure you can call anything but Zelda and possibly SPM 'big name games'. Zelda is declining in Japan, and SPM is a big name, but a niche game. DQ swords might fall into that same category when it comes out. I think SSBB and SMG are going to be the first titles that really show us whether Wii software will sell huge amounts or just average amounts.

You also really can't ignore Wii sports, even if we agree that a sale for wii sports may not translate into a sale for more games down the road, it has certainly competed for yen with the other games. Even the most hardcore gamer can only afford so many games, and since Wii sports was (and still is) the game to have, I'm sure lots of people prioritized that over other games they may have wanted.

As for third party, it has mostly been garbage, and the few decent games have been ports. You can't really expect any of the third party games out now to sell well. DQ swords looks like it will be the first serious test of whether third parties will sell. I figure the threshold is if DQS outsells SPM by a significant margin. If that happens there should really be no argument about 3rd parties on Wii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LanceStern said:

*ahem*

LanceStern said:
- 300k is a great benchmark of success for Nintendo DS titles. 3rd Parties especially, there's just something EVEN about that number.

100,000 is too low. That's like just a couple of online message-board gamers and magazine reader buying the title.

200,000 is OK I suppose. But still it doesn't make a very big impact. It's like the gamers told a few people what the game was about and people bought it. Companies should want more mass appeal than just 200k.

300k is a good benchmark though. It's well rounded, the main-stream is getting into it and know about it... everything is nice.

Now, this doesn't apply to all DS titles, because there are many factors like how well the game was advertised, it's initial impressions and the time it's released, the context. A title like Lost mAgic or Contact or Digimon Story I have no problem seeing sell 70k, 30k and 200k respectively because I didn't expect them to do that well, they weren't advertised much, it looks like a low-appeal title and they were released at downtimes.

For a lot of titles though, it works.

jesusraz said:
FFXII - Nearly at 500,000 (Famitsu numbers0
Kirby - Over a million now (some big sales list on here)
L&B - Nearly at a million (some big sales list on here)

sinobi's numbers must have been off, as that's crazy if HM sold so little between its first day and this chart! :/

The first Kirby that breaks the million barrier in Japan. A miracle due to the Nintendo DS. That's the proof that if you expand the market, then you can sell conventional games in larger quantities to the newcomers, that become relativity fast new gamers.

WOW at Nintendo's strategy.

CANLI

ziran said:
When you say you don't need to know Japanese, do you mean there's an English option, or that it's in Japanese and fairly easy to figure out?

It looks good, and I'd like to give it a try, but from the videos I've seen at the game's homepage there looks to be a fair bit of Japanese text (in the results) and menus.

With Touch Generations doing so well around the world I'm sure this could be released outside Japan, and it's looks like it's going to be a big seller, but it could be a year away or even longer.

Yes, that it's in Japanese and fairly easy to figure out the menus.

The game is made by Bandai Namco but it has the same menus style than English Training or BT.
There's a Eye Stretching exercice too to relax them.
Yeah, it can be a big seller outside Japan too.

Kuramu

syfodyas said:

This is an interesting question. Wii SportsGolf has had me in a golf mood lately, which it can't by itself satisfy due to it's limited number of holes. I've been tempted to play other golf games i own, like Mario Golf. However, the initial eagerness to pop MG in is quickly squelched by the realization that it simply won't satisfy my new-found need to use the wiimote to golf. The powerbar, timing acuracy thing just seem so archaic now.

BrodiemanTTR said:
I would think Nintendo would release a sequel sometime soon. Even if a sequel totally killed sales of the previous game (which didn't happen with Brain Age), I think it'd be more profitable to release a new game that'll blow up to 3 million instantly then crawl to 5 million instead of just letting the one out now at 4.5 million crawl that extra .5 million, even if the latter is pure profit. How much could NSMB have cost?

This is what I've been saying too. BT2 didn't meaningfully hurt the sales of BT1; people seemed to just buy both instead of only the sequel. I think the window on NSMB is longer, but I expect we'd see the same pattern here -- possibly even more, since I imagine there's less duplicated content in a theoretical NSMB2 compared to its predecessor than in BT2 compared to BT1.

LanceStern said:

Hey, everybody - it's LanceStern!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
LanceStern said:

300k would be ok, right?

LanceStern said:

LanceStern

Self-Hating Nintendo fan.

When it comes to Nintendo game machines, the userbase has to stretch its legs a bit before third parties have enough room to operate next to Nintendo's own launch franchises.

The Wii is still in its infancy in Japan, with a sub 3 million userbase. Once it gets above 3 million, I think then third parties will get more breathing room and onwards to 5 million+.

People said a lot of these exact same things about the DS, even only about a year ago ... third party games don't sell on the system, people buying the DS aren't interested in traditional style games, people buying Brain Training/Animal Crossing will only buy 1 game a year and not buy anything else but "non-games".

The last 12-14 months in Japan have really put those myths to rest.

Also again with RE4 Wii ... you're talking about a 2-year-old game, that's already been on two previous platforms, that wasn't even that popular of a game in Japan to begin with. A final total in the 100k+ range for that on a userbase still under 3 million is quite good I would say. The game is showing decent legs.

Old?

Wow

Konami to sell skincare software for Nintendo DS

TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese software maker plans to launch a skincare guide for use on Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s hot-selling portable game gear DS, giving beauty tips based on users' basal body temperature and hormone balance.

Konami Corp., known for such sports titles as "Pro Evolution Soccer", said that by marking a target date such as a wedding in the software, DS users can get customized, daily skincare instructions in the runup to the big day.

"We have developed the software under the concept of getting pretty while having fun," Konami Digital Entertainment Corporate Officer Naoyuki Notsu told a news conference.

Mardak

Both PSP and PS2 top 10 software sales beat the Wii!

20070604.png

20070604.pub.png

But no lines for the undisplayed publishers for the launching PS2, Wii games..

Top Bottom